Thread: mets interested in soriano

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Feb. 24 - The Mets are interested in acquiring Soriano, but won't trade phenom Jose Reyes for him, according to The Bergen Record (NJ). They will only make the trade if Soriano would play outfield.
    The Rangers would be interested in trading Soriano if the Mets gave up one of their top pitching prospects, Scott Kazmir.

I pray this does not happen would go from my favorite player on the Yankees to a Met.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    SPeaking strictly as a Yankee fan, who has enjoyed watching Soriano the past 3 seasons, the Mets should trade whatever it takes to land Sori. He has a live bat, and even in SHea will hit 35 homers. The guy is a hit machine, who runs very well, and will give the Mets a 3-4-5 of Floyd, Piazza and Sori, which is a very good middle of the lineup.

Make the trade, even if it costs Reyes.

Maxman
    The Mets should make this trade. Soriano loved NY and has a ton of talent. The Mets need excitement and this would certainly help.

I am not so sure that he would want to move to RF though. He seems to really like 2B...considering Texas is moving a gold glover for him I think he plans on staying at 2B.

TomShane
    If it's for Reyes, hell no. If it's for Kazmir, I say yes. Word is that Kazmir is a bit fragile mentally and his arm motion is conducive to injury. With the Mets luck, though, he'll go out and win 300 games for the Rangers while Soriano commits 30 errors in the spacious confines of Shea(thole) Stadium, and never breaks 25 HR's in that grand canyon.

Maxman
    Originally posted by TomShane@Feb 26 2004, 11:33 AM
    If it's for Reyes, hell no. If it's for Kazmir, I say yes. Word is that Kazmir is a bit fragile mentally and his arm motion is conducive to injury. With the Mets luck, though, he'll go out and win 300 games for the Rangers while Soriano commits 30 errors in the spacious confines of Shea(thole) Stadium, and never breaks 25 HR's in that grand canyon.
    Dude I think you have this backwards. Hang on to any pitching prospect that you can. Reyes for Soriano...in a second.

Soriano's defense isn't as bad as it is made out to be. And he is one of the top hitters in the game.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd try to send a package of lower pitching prospects. Reyes is a special player and Kazmir has looked like a player, even though he is still 1+ years away from the bigs. With a rotation that has Seo in the 4th spot and spots 1-3 filled by aging vets, we're going to need some young, hard-throwers in the near future.

TomShane
    Originally posted by Maxman+Feb 26 2004, 12:27 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maxman @ Feb 26 2004, 12:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--TomShane@Feb 26 2004, 11:33 AM
    If it&#39;s for Reyes, hell no. If it&#39;s for Kazmir, I say yes. Word is that Kazmir is a bit fragile mentally and his arm motion is conducive to injury. With the Mets luck, though, he&#39;ll go out and win 300 games for the Rangers while Soriano commits 30 errors in the spacious confines of Shea(thole) Stadium, and never breaks 25 HR&#39;s in that grand canyon.
    Dude I think you have this backwards. Hang on to any pitching prospect that you can. Reyes for Soriano...in a second.

Soriano&#39;s defense isn&#39;t as bad as it is made out to be. And he is one of the top hitters in the game. [/b][/quote]
    Reyes is a special player, Max. I&#39;d rather give Floyd or Piazza up before Reyes.

I hear you about the pitching though. With the Mets system you just never know how good their talent actually is in the minors because the over-hype everybody.

Maxman
    Originally posted by TomShane+Feb 26 2004, 08:01 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TomShane @ Feb 26 2004, 08:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Maxman@Feb 26 2004, 12:27 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--TomShane
    @Feb 26 2004, 11:33 AM
    If it&#39;s for Reyes, hell no. If it&#39;s for Kazmir, I say yes. Word is that Kazmir is a bit fragile mentally and his arm motion is conducive to injury. With the Mets luck, though, he&#39;ll go out and win 300 games for the Rangers while Soriano commits 30 errors in the spacious confines of Shea(thole) Stadium, and never breaks 25 HR&#39;s in that grand canyon.

Soriano&#39;s defense isn&#39;t as bad as it is made out to be. And he is one of the top hitters in the game.
    Reyes is a special player, Max. I&#39;d rather give Floyd or Piazza up before Reyes.

I hear you about the pitching though. With the Mets system you just never know how good their talent actually is in the minors because the over-hype everybody. [/b][/quote]
    Well Reyes might be a special player. Soriano is a special player.

The Mets were the best at hyping their prospects in the 80&#39;s. I really think the Yankees learned from that and it has contributed to much of their success. Notice how the Yankees kept certain farm hands...Bernie, Mariano, Jeter, Petite, Posada, Soriano, Clemens and got rid of others. The ones they traded usually didn&#39;t pan out.

They stole the Mets idea and perfected it. Something I like to call the David West clause.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TomShane+Feb 26 2004, 08:01 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TomShane @ Feb 26 2004, 08:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    <!--QuoteBegin--TomShane

Soriano&#39;s defense isn&#39;t as bad as it is made out to be. And he is one of the top hitters in the game.

I hear you about the pitching though. With the Mets system you just never know how good their talent actually is in the minors because the over-hype everybody. [/b][/quote]
    Sori hit 39 and 38 homers in Yankee stadium. That place is no bandbox for a right handed hitter. He can flat out slug them in any park. Sori has one of the quickest bats in the Majors, if not the quickest.

He is as good an all around offensive machine as anyone in the game. Maybe Bonds and A-Rod and Puljois excluded, but all around he&#39;s right there with them, or just a notch below them. Reyes will never be the offensive player Sori already is.

The Mets should very well make this deal, even if it includes Reyes. Just remember all the "can&#39;t miss" prospects the Mets had in recent past.....Generation K kids, etc. Who knows with a young player. You know what you&#39;re getting in Sori. Top flight slugger, who is a major cog in anyone&#39;s lineup. And his defense is not as horrid as some want to make it seem. He&#39;s not a gold glove guy, but he&#39;s far from the bottom.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Maxman+Feb 26 2004, 09:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maxman @ Feb 26 2004, 09:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -TomShane@Feb 26 2004, 08:01 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--TomShane

I hear you about the pitching though. With the Mets system you just never know how good their talent actually is in the minors because the over-hype everybody.

The Mets were the best at hyping their prospects in the 80&#39;s. I really think the Yankees learned from that and it has contributed to much of their success. Notice how the Yankees kept certain farm hands...Bernie, Mariano, Jeter, Petite, Posada, Soriano, Clemens and got rid of others. The ones they traded usually didn&#39;t pan out.

They stole the Mets idea and perfected it. Something I like to call the David West clause. [/b][/quote]
    Maxie, wasn&#39;t it you last year that said Reyes was a terrific player and Met fans should be very happy to have him? Now you want us to get rid of him.......Maxie, I know that being in love with TS has clouded your mind but come on now..........what is it...........is Reyes as good as you said or are you just trying to get him to be a Yankee............

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Soriano is a very good player-but I think the playoffs last year has exposed his weakness -it is on him to prove he can be a more selective hitter to truly be a great player.
    Jose Reyes is still learning but what he the the ability to bring is not only to be a good hitter but an exceptional fielder. A guy brought up through the system is part of what the Mets have been lacking. With young pitchers there is more uncertainty whether they will ever pan out. If this rumor is/was serious pitching prospects I would consider. Not Reyes for Soriano.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    More shoulda woulda coulda CYA from Cheapskate Wilpon. After they got caught lying about ever having seen Vald Guerrero&#39;s medical records, they are spinning like crazy to pretend they are a major league organization in the New York market. I feel for Duquette, because those two POS Wilpons will someday make him the fall guy for their own utter incompetence. The Mets will be lucky to win 75 games. They will be neck and neck for last place with the Expos.

Soriano is 28.He was found out in the playoffs; he&#39;s Juan Samuel-no plate discipline, good pitchers get him out and he has zero plan in his at-bats. Samuel was another young statistical wonder who the Mets also traded for Lenny Dykstra. Samuel promptly sucked as Dykstra led the Phillies to a World Series. Reyes is 20 and has shown signs of being very good. And trading Kazmir-a lefty who throws 95+ with control-is grounds to fire everyone.

Two decisions-not signing A-Rod in 2000 and Vald this year-are costing this franchise dearly. Oh, but 43-year old John Franco(who can&#39;t get anyone out with a strike)and his groovy captain&#39;s "C" are here-YEAH&#33;Glavine and Leiter are also on the cusp of Social Security. Way to go, Cheapskate Fred and Jazzy Jeff&#33;

Until the Wilpons are gone, the Mets are screwed. And as a Yank fan, I&#39;d rather have an actual competitive National League team rather than that clown car outfit in Flushing. It makes things more interesting.

Maxman
    Originally posted by jetgirl+Feb 27 2004, 11:13 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jetgirl @ Feb 27 2004, 11:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Maxman@Feb 26 2004, 09:44 PM
    Originally posted by -TomShane@Feb 26 2004, 08:01 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--TomShane

They stole the Mets idea and perfected it. Something I like to call the David West clause.
    Maxie, wasn&#39;t it you last year that said Reyes was a terrific player and Met fans should be very happy to have him? Now you want us to get rid of him.......Maxie, I know that being in love with TS has clouded your mind but come on now..........what is it...........is Reyes as good as you said or are you just trying to get him to be a Yankee............ [/b][/quote]
    The Yankees could use Reyes at 2nd but a 9th hitter and 2nd Baseman is not high on the list.

Soriano is the real deal. The Mets should try and get him. He hit a ton of homeruns the past 2 seasons while leading off and playing in Yankee stadium. He would hit 45-50 homeruns if he played his home games at Shea.

Maxman
    Originally posted by faba@Feb 27 2004, 11:24 AM
    Soriano is a very good player-but I think the playoffs last year has exposed his weakness -it is on him to prove he can be a more selective hitter to truly be a great player.
    Jose Reyes is still learning but what he the the ability to bring is not only to be a good hitter but an exceptional fielder. A guy brought up through the system is part of what the Mets have been lacking. With young pitchers there is more uncertainty whether they will ever pan out. If this rumor is/was serious pitching prospects I would consider. Not Reyes for Soriano.
    Soriano had a terrible post season, no doubt about it. But he is more then a mistake hitter. The guy has hit .300 in his career. He needs to learn more plate discipline no doubt. But he is the real deal.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I&#39;d give the Rangers any of the three top pitching prospects -- Scott Kazmir, Matt Peterson or Bob Keppel -- for Soriano. The guy is a proven hitter, and even though he sucked it up in the 2003 postseason, he was pretty good in other playoff series (and would have been the 2001 World Series hero if they held the lead after his HR in Game 7). I&#39;d say the 2002/03 postseason was a washout, but he&#39;s had three good seasons in a row. There&#39;s no reason to think he&#39;ll suddenly stop hitting over the long haul.

Honestly, I&#39;d go with Reyes for Soriano straight up, but I see why the Mets are shying away from that move. If we could get him for one of the three pitching prospects, it&#39;s a steal.

It&#39;s great to be loaded with prospects, but until they prove otherwise, they&#39;re a dicey proposition at best. Remember the "Generation K" trio of Pulsipher, Isringhausen and Wilson. Pulse was a joke, Izzy didn&#39;t do anything until he was a closer for the A&#39;s, and the only thing I can tell you about Paul Wilson is that he got his ass kicked in a brawl with the Cubs last year.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love Soriano.....After Losing Nick Johnson....The only 2 players i would have traded Soi for would have been Pujols or ARod...

He is a good kid....I love the way he plays to game.

if the mets can get him...do it&#33;

Just teach him how to hit the duece and your good.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I&#39;d rather the Mets give up Reyes than Kazmir for Soriano. Of course I haven&#39;t seen Kazmir pitch at all, but if he&#39;s got the potential baseball people say he has, he could be the future #1 pitcher, a Mark Prior or Josh Beckett type from the left side.
    We know that Reyes will probably be good, but is doubtful that he&#39;ll ever be as good as Soriano has been. A young potential #1 pitcher, if he&#39;s not just all hype, is more valuable than Reyes who I like and will probably be a good, exciting player for many years. As much as I like Reyes I don&#39;t think he&#39;ll become a player who can carry a team. Kazmir could be that type of player.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by jpoppy7@Feb 29 2004, 01:24 PM
    I&#39;d rather the Mets give up Reyes than Kazmir for Soriano. Of course I haven&#39;t seen Kazmir pitch at all, but if he&#39;s got the potential baseball people say he has, he could be the future #1 pitcher, a Mark Prior or Josh Beckett type from the left side.
    We know that Reyes will probably be good, but is doubtful that he&#39;ll ever be as good as Soriano has been. A young potential #1 pitcher, if he&#39;s not just all hype, is more valuable than Reyes who I like and will probably be a good, exciting player for many years. As much as I like Reyes I don&#39;t think he&#39;ll become a player who can carry a team. Kazmir could be that type of player.
    You&#39;re the first Mets fan here that actually is making some sence.