Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim Rome is officially an idiot

All Pro
    Jim Rome on his show today was talking about the steroid scandal in baseball and the comments Turk Wendall and Denny Neagle made about Bonds and Giambi. He summed it up by saying:

"Once the players start fingering each other...it's on!!"

Nice choice of words, Jim.....

I used to like the guy but now instead of being a annoyance on FOXnet he is a annoyance on ESPN.

I didn't realize anyone listened to Jim Rome anymore. I'm positive that ESPN-NY signed on with the Knicks and Rangers next year, to keep Rome off the airwaves as much as possible next winter.

Hall Of Fame
    Oh good grief, come on guys. Rome is very much against steroids PERIOD. His choice of words can be a little different but basically he is saying once the players are accusing each other then this steroid stuff will only get bigger

I enjoy his radio show, but don't watch his tv show. I don't think he can pull off tv. The strength of anything he does is in his callers (clones), and the interviews. He gets quality guests on his show daily.

All Pro
    Seeing Jim Everett nearly beat the crap out of him on that ESPN2 show was one of the best moments of my life.

All Pro
    you mean Chris Everett? :lol:

"He Hate Me" Rod Smart supposedly has 5 children with 5 different women. Last night on his show Jim Rome said "I guess 'He Hate Condoms.'" LOL.

If nothing else, Rome is always good for a laugh.

Mavrik, you are right J.R should've stayed at FOX.....Cool a$$ kicking he took at the hands of Everrett....The video is still on the Net and hilarious.

Funny thing is before Rome returned to ESPN he used to make fun of them on his radio show all the time for telecasting ridiculous things like the national spelling bee lol.

All Pro
    Originally posted by JetsMan57@Feb 27 2004, 08:05 PM
    Funny thing is before Rome returned to ESPN he used to make fun of them on his radio show all the time for telecasting ridiculous things like the national spelling bee lol.
    When they threw $$$ in his face, it changed his mind about them pretty quick.

All Pro
    When he gets in that roundtable discussion every show with Roger Lodge and Ralph Wiley, I seriously think he's just trying to find people more annoying than him so he looks good.

I agree with Scottish.

Unless you have listened to Jim on a regular basis, you just do not get it. He even says as much. He says give him two weeks and if you still do not like it/understand it, you probably never will.

My first day was the infamous, Patti from Modesto day. When some half crocked women called the show and the clones just crushed her with calls and emails. The funniest was an email that went, "Mom?" signed Wade Boggs.

If your not a regular listener that means nothing, but people that listen understand and see the humor in it.

What I do not understand about the people that like it, is the same type of slams that happen on Rome happen on JI. One is panned the other is thought as funny. Go figure.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by PFSIKH@Feb 28 2004, 09:03 AM
    I agree with Scottish.

Unless you have listened to Jim on a regular basis, you just do not get it. He even says as much. He says give him two weeks and if you still do not like it/understand it, you probably never will.

My first day was the infamous, Patti from Modesto day. When some half crocked women called the show and the clones just crushed her with calls and emails. The funniest was an email that went, "Mom?" signed Wade Boggs.

If your not a regular listener that means nothing, but people that listen understand and see the humor in it.

What I do not understand about the people that like it, is the same type of slams that happen on Rome happen on JI. One is panned the other is thought as funny. Go figure.
    Exactly. You need to hear the show to get what he is about. I had a REAL hard time liking the radio show. I loathed Rome. I still find him a dick, but I enjoy the show. However, what sold me on the show was during my second week of listening Jay Mohr (The Slam-Man) hosted the show. Funniest 3 hours of radio I have ever heard.

Originally posted by PFSIKH@Feb 28 2004, 09:03 AM
    I agree with Scottish.

I've listened to him plenty of times and I don't think he is all that great at all. Quite frankly, I think it is an insult for him to asume it takes 2 weeks to 'understand' his show. He does nothing new at all. He comments on sports issues in a brash way and inserts many cliche jokes in between. He has a unique way of speaking which is catchy. I actually liken it to Captain Kirk talking with a hoarse voice. But for him to think it takes 2 weeks to finally understand him is awefully arrogant if you ask me. He's not that brilliant by any means.

What's funny is you say it is the same type of slams that you see on JI. It is, and most are fully aware of it. But those slams are what I expect from 2000+ fans who range mostly in the semi-knowledgable range of sports. Some here have a better understanding than others and I'm not digging at anyone here, but we're all fans with alot of grandeure plans and overzealous thinking. Jim Rome on the other hand is supposed to be a knowledgable sports figurehead and him resorting to the same level of slamming that goes on here only serves to expose his inteligence or lack-there-of which is exactly why it doesn't take '2 weeks' to understand him

I agree. Rome is a weasel but his show is good.... He gets good guests too.

Booz - It is not like he is saying his show is that deep and you need 2 weeks to understand. It just has alot of different facets. In two weeks you will probably hear every facet of the show and be able to determine if you like it.

He does not fill three hours with just interviews and his "takes." If you tune in one day and he is off on "softball guy," you would probably be scratching your head, because the clones would basically be running the show with their takes. And those are some of the best shows. Jim puts out something about softball guy or bowling guy, steps back and the clones go at it. Some of it literally has yopu in tears.

Or if you tune in and hear Jeff from Richmond doing his poor Wrestling imitation voice from his palatial estate wearing his custom fit Armani suits or Otis in Austin and his hillbilly background music or Jim in Fall River with his New England accent ripping on another clone, you will be going WTF?

However, if you isten for two weeks and see how the interviews, the clones and everything is woven together you will have a better grasp of what the show is about.

Originally posted by PFSIKH@Feb 29 2004, 09:16 AM
    Booz - It is not like he is saying his show is that deep and you need 2 weeks to understand. It just has alot of different facets. In two weeks you will probably hear every facet of the show and be able to determine if you like it.

He does not fill three hours with just interviews and his "takes." If you tune in one day and he is off on "softball guy," you would probably be scratching your head, because the clones would basically be running the show with their takes. And those are some of the best shows. Jim puts out something about softball guy or bowling guy, steps back and the clones go at it. Some of it literally has yopu in tears.

Or if you tune in and hear Jeff from Richmond doing his poor Wrestling imitation voice from his palatial estate wearing his custom fit Armani suits or Otis in Austin and his hillbilly background music or Jim in Fall River with his New England accent ripping on another clone, you will be going WTF?

However, if you isten for two weeks and see how the interviews, the clones and everything is woven together you will have a better grasp of what the show is about.
    I did try his show for about 2 weeks straight, and came away more convinced with my stance that it's a waste of airwaves. He is useless radio, although his interviews are above par. His rantings are weird, to say the least. And I have a tough time agreeing with almost any of his opinions.

I'll take most other shows over his, any time. Hey, even Steve Sommers on WFAN is an easier listen than Rome.

I freakin hate Mike Francessa...but I cant get enough of him either.....Kinda of like "the person you love to hate".

Rome's a pompous ass...but I like to listen..the e-mails are funny

Didnt Steve Somers lose another GIG on the FAN? Chris Carlin got the show after mike and the mad dog now, before the Knicks/Rangers/Mets pregames.

Originally posted by JetsMan57@Mar 1 2004, 03:40 PM
    Didnt Steve Somers lose another GIG on the FAN? Chris Carlin got the show after mike and the mad dog now, before the Knicks/Rangers/Mets pregames.
    Sommers is on vacation for 2 weeks. He is coming back tonight or next week.

Originally posted by mbn007@Mar 1 2004, 06:55 PM
    I did try his show for about 2 weeks straight, and came away more convinced with my stance that it's a waste of airwaves. He is useless radio, although his interviews are above par. His rantings are weird, to say the least. And I have a tough time agreeing with almost any of his opinions.

I'll take most other shows over his, any time. Hey, even Steve Sommers on WFAN is an easier listen than Rome.
    That is fair. My point onluy is you can not listen to it once because the show has a lot of different facets. I do not like the whole show, but most of it I like to listen to.