Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Herms comments on Safty Sean Taylor

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Min81[/i]@Mar 1 2004, 11:51 AM
    [b]It just seems as if no matter what Jets message board a person may gravitate towards, the same endless conversations always seem to occur.... Bradway is incompetent vs. Bradway is decent vs. Bradway is a soild gm.... Herm is a terrible coach vs. Herm is a decent coach, vs. Herm is a good/very coach... Hackett is horrible vs. Hackett is average, vs. Hackett is a perfect fit with Chad and should stay... I actually do not have a big problem with these controversies being rehashed because it is the offseason and there really is not much to discuss at this point besides the draft... But the lengths that people will go through to prove their points are ludicrous... In a twisted way, I am actually impressed by a Jets fans seemingly innate ability to manipulate certain facts or even pseudo facts in order to present an argument in a manner that is favorable to their cause... This quote by Edwards is a total non-issue as to whether or not he is a quality NFL coach... (some may have been simply poking fun, but it has still wound up leading to a genuine discussion as to whether or not Herm is a good coach)... This is an open and shut case... Everybody knows that Herm is not gifted with a supreme grasp of the English language... In terms of charisma and the ability to convince, Herm does an excellent oratorical job in my opinion, but simply put, his English tends to suffer on occassion.. Does that make him a stupid coach?? I do not believe so... He may occasionally make "stupid" grammatical mistakes (flustrated being a favorite of most), but that does not make him an overall moron, or an idiotic coach... What Herm said here is very simple to understand... He was complimenting Taylor on his seemingly superior talent... What he meant was, a coach cannot give a player more talent.. Talent does not grow on trees.. A person is born with athletic ability.. It can be honed, and shaped, but no taught... Taylor has the measurables that should equal NFL success... Plain and simple.. Could he have said it better?? Absolutely.. but everybody knows what he meant.... Dissecting every single sentence a person says can even make the most intelligent people appear naive... Nobody is perfect.. Just give the guy a break, and instead of concetrating on his English, let us just hope that we get some more talent in here and make a run next season...[/b][/quote]
    So a Guy who picks up 17 to 25 per Speech shouldn't be able
    to speak Correctly?? How PC of you!! By the same token
    your absolutly correct then ..Why should a HC be expected to
    Coach correctly either!! As Far as Wanny goes 11-5,11-5,9-7,10-6
    And he lost his QB for 5 games and still finished 9-7! Something
    you Hermophiles give Hermie a break for! And 10-6! He took over
    a JJ Team and Herm got a Tuna Team! To me Guys that are good
    Coaches take over a 1-15 or 2-14 Team and improve the Team
    impress me!! ;) Here's Herm's speech link [url=http://www.nashspeakers.com/cgi-bin/speakers/display.pl?speaker=253/]http://www.nashspeakers.com/cgi-bin/speake...pl?speaker=253/[/url]

Veteran
    First 3 seasons coaching:

Bill Parcells: 22-25
    Bill Belichicks : 20-28 [SIZE=3][b]Hermans Record: 25-23[/b][/SIZE]
    Chuck Noll: 12-30

[quote][i]Originally posted by savage69+Feb 29 2004, 04:19 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (savage69 @ Feb 29 2004, 04:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Bleedgreen[/i]@Feb 29 2004, 03:13 PM
    [b]Not coaching talent might sound stupid to you guys, but actually he&#39;s right. ;)[/b][/quote]
    Well maybe Herm can&#39;t Coach Talent but a Good Coach can&#33;
    What he should have said was a Coach can&#39;t give a player
    the Type of God given talent and instinct that Taylor has&#33; But
    a Good Coach can surely teach a rookie how to apply it in
    the NFL&#33;&#33; ;) [/b][/quote]
    I believe he was saying that when you got it you got it .Talent cannot be taught.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by JetsFutureGM[/i]@Mar 1 2004, 12:09 PM
    [b]First 3 seasons coaching:

Chuck Noll: 12-30[/b][/quote]
    Rich Kotite 29-19&#33;&#33; And Tuna won the Super Bowl in his 4th
    year&#33; Ok if Herm does the same I&#39;ll give him props&#33;&#33; :lol:

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetsFutureGM[/i]@Mar 1 2004, 01:09 PM
    [b] First 3 seasons coaching:

Chuck Noll: 12-30 [/b][/quote]

GM- The Giants, Browns and Steelers were in shambles when Parcells, Belichick and Noll took over.

The Jets were not.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by D-BYRD+Mar 1 2004, 12:11 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (D-BYRD @ Mar 1 2004, 12:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>[quote]Originally posted by -savage69@Feb 29 2004, 04:19 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--Bleedgreen[/i]@Feb 29 2004, 03:13 PM
    [b]Not coaching talent might sound stupid to you guys, but actually he&#39;s right. ;)[/b][/quote]
    Well maybe Herm can&#39;t Coach Talent but a Good Coach can&#33;
    What he should have said was a Coach can&#39;t give a player
    the Type of God given talent and instinct that Taylor has&#33; But
    a Good Coach can surely teach a rookie how to apply it in
    the NFL&#33;&#33; ;) [/b][/quote]
    I believe he was saying that when you got it you got it .Talent cannot be taught.[/b][/quote]
    DBYRD..A Guy getting 17-25 thousand a Speech should be
    clearer than that No??? <_<

Veteran
    :lol: The point that i was making though was that coaching records are not always reflective of how good a coach is. Hermy&#39;s record right now is SLIGHTY above average. Thats all he is.

Wannstandt&#39;s record is BS b/c he coached teams that were already established... no re-buliding involved. (he&#39;s one of the worst in the league)

your career record can be 24-100 for all i care...if you have a super bowl ring, it doesnt matter.

Veteran
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Mar 1 2004, 01:13 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ Mar 1 2004, 01:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JetsFutureGM[/i]@Mar 1 2004, 01:09 PM
    [b] First 3 seasons coaching:

Chuck Noll: 12-30 [/b][/quote]

GM- The Giants, Browns and Steelers were in shambles when Parcells, Belichick and Noll took over.

The Jets were not. [/b][/quote]
    i wasnt presenting an argument either way, all i did was present the facts. i dont need your explanation on why their records were INFERIOR to hermans.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by JetsFutureGM[/i]@Mar 1 2004, 12:18 PM
    [b]:lol: The point that i was making though was that coaching records are not always reflective of how good a coach is. Hermy&#39;s record right now is SLIGHTY above average. Thats all he is.

Wannstandt&#39;s record is BS b/c he coached teams that were already established... no re-buliding involved. (he&#39;s one of the worst in the league)

your career record can be 24-100 for all i care...if you have a super bowl ring, it doesnt matter.[/b][/quote]
    Then you and I agree&#33;&#33; Hermie Took over a Team that was
    a Super Bowl favorite 2 years prior and just missed making
    the playoffs because of Hall&#33; Wanny had a better record with
    the Fins than JJ&#33;&#33; Herm also got a Team with 4 number 1 picks
    from the year before&#33;&#33; It&#39;s nice to see a Guy that Gets it&#33;&#33; ;) :lol:

Veteran
    I still think herm has done a decent job though.. not good, decent :lol:

For Lent I&#39;m trying real hard to give up ripping Terry and Herm maybe i&#39;ll be a better person for it.