Thread: Traffic delays

All League
    I want to vent, maybe enlighten some people.

I am so friggin tired of getting stuck in traffic on local roads and the Garden State Parkway, only to discover it is caused by 2 vehicles involved in a fender-bender.

When it is possible (which should be always if it is minor) it is OK to move the autos away from the EXACT spot where the accident occured.

You can move the cars from the fast lane to the shoulder, you can move the cars from a busy shopping corridor route into one of the parking lots, you can move them from a busy street to a side street.

Why do people think the cars have to stay "right there"? One car has a dent on the front, the other has a dent in the back, its not brain surgery to figure out what happened. When 2 cars collide at 70mph and careem off into the woods in different directions, hitting trees and flipping over, do the cops show up and drag the cars back to the point of impact? NO, THEY DON'T!!

Any cop who shows up to a minor scene where the cars are moveable, and the location is causing traffic flow problems, and doesnt move the cars out of the way is doing his community a disservice, or he is an idiot too.

I have handled many accidents in my 10 years as a cop and always determined what happened by talking to those involved and looking at the damage. Leaving the cars at the point of impact is just not necessary.

Pass the word, maybe you can stop a road-rage incident commited by somebody stuck in fender-bender traffic.

Hall Of Fame
    HAHAHAHAHA

I know that feeling.

You get two idiots who has watched too many episodes of CSI, think they can't move the 'crime scene'.

Hall Of Fame
    And, everyone's favorite-perpetual highway construction! At rush hour! Yippee! The man with the orange flag isn't likley to lauded in poetry or song anytime soon.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Interesting. Just yesterday my heavy rescue unit responded to a scene where a BMW rear-ended a stretch limo. I went to disable the BMW's battery as per standard procedure, and was ordered by Nassau PD ESU not to touch the car. So we got back on the rig and left.

I think that if there's the possibility that there's a criminal act involved, you are not supposed to move the vehicles, but then again I'm not a cop, so I don't know for sure.

Maxman
    I got into an accident over the summer. I was 100% correct and the other driver was 100% at fault. It was on a local road and the damage didn't seem so bad. We moved our cars and then the other guy changed his story and lied to the cop.

The cop knew he was lying but all the witnesses had left so the police report told both of our stories.

Long story short by moving our cars I lost $1,500. The damage was $3,000 and I only got 50% because he lied.

So I will never move my car again until the cops see it for themselves.

All League
    The biggest problem are the people who slow down to look at a wreck on the side of the road.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by shakin318[/i]@Feb 29 2004, 09:29 PM
    [b] Interesting. Just yesterday my heavy rescue unit responded to a scene where a BMW rear-ended a stretch limo. I went to disable the BMW's battery as per standard procedure, and was ordered by Nassau PD ESU not to touch the car. So we got back on the rig and left.

I think that if there's the possibility that there's a criminal act involved, you are not supposed to move the vehicles, but then again I'm not a cop, so I don't know for sure. [/b][/quote]
    had to be a crime scene then shakin. That's about the only time I can see a cop yelling at rescue not to touch something.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Maxman[/i]@Feb 29 2004, 11:34 PM
    [b] I got into an accident over the summer. I was 100% correct and the other driver was 100% at fault. It was on a local road and the damage didn't seem so bad. We moved our cars and then the other guy changed his story and lied to the cop.

The cop knew he was lying but all the witnesses had left so the police report told both of our stories.

Long story short by moving our cars I lost $1,500. The damage was $3,000 and I only got 50% because he lied.

So I will never move my car again until the cops see it for themselves. [/b][/quote]
    describe the situation.

the damage tells the story and the cop always writes what both drivers say.

I once had a minor head-on where the cars glanced off each other as traveling in opposite directions. One driver was very detailed as to what occurred, the 2nd female driver said "I have no idea what happened" I told her this question was for the accident report and she reiterated her answer.

A few days later, no dought after obtaining report copy and speaking to lawyer, she came in wanting me to amend the report as she now had a clear image of what occurred. I initially refused to make the amendment because I knew she was lying and the passage of time etc..but my desk sgt, and then my captain, ordered me to, so I did. Her new version had #1 at fault, I dont know how it turned out with insurance company.

Hall Of Fame
    Max....

I don't blame you for being pissed. 90% of all accidents go good, where the responsible party admits to their fault or the officer gets there and regardless of where the vehicles are, knows whose at fault already. Then there's the 10% who create a ridiculous story and lie to the officer. Depending on the visual evidence, if there's not enough to prove the #2 is lying, then the officer has to put both stories down. The key in that situation is third party witnesses!!! I've had many 3rd party witnesses come by and either save someone's bacon or ruin a liar's story. Unfortunately without witnesses and undisputable visual evidence, your best bet is going to a hearing, if you receive a ticket.

One thing for your safety though max.. something to keep in mind. I'm not sure what it's like where you're from, but right now in Metro Detroit, the freeways and side roads have become killing fields for inronically......people who got out of their cars to view accidents. While it has happend mostly on the freeways as recent as last week, it occurs on the side streets as well. People get out of their car to view an accident bewteen their vehicles and before you know it, SMACK, they get smoked. Last week 2 people were killed on I-94 when they go out to look at an accident, were hit by a minivan at about 80MPH, and launched into the air.The van fled the scene and still hasn't been found. Best thing to do is pull the vehicles off the road and stay in them until the police arrive.

Maxman
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria[/i]@Mar 1 2004, 02:39 PM
    [b] Max....

I don't blame you for being pissed. 90% of all accidents go good, where the responsible party admits to their fault or the officer gets there and regardless of where the vehicles are, knows whose at fault already. Then there's the 10% who create a ridiculous story and lie to the officer. Depending on the visual evidence, if there's not enough to prove the #2 is lying, then the officer has to put both stories down. The key in that situation is third party witnesses!!! I've had many 3rd party witnesses come by and either save someone's bacon or ruin a liar's story. Unfortunately without witnesses and undisputable visual evidence, your best bet is going to a hearing, if you receive a ticket.

One thing for your safety though max.. something to keep in mind. I'm not sure what it's like where you're from, but right now in Metro Detroit, the freeways and side roads have become killing fields for inronically......people who got out of their cars to view accidents. While it has happend mostly on the freeways as recent as last week, it occurs on the side streets as well. People get out of their car to view an accident bewteen their vehicles and before you know it, SMACK, they get smoked. Last week 2 people were killed on I-94 when they go out to look at an accident, were hit by a minivan at about 80MPH, and launched into the air.The van fled the scene and still hasn't been found. Best thing to do is pull the vehicles off the road and stay in them until the police arrive. [/b][/quote]
    GOB:
    Agreed 100%. If I was on a major highway then safety would be first. Always first. This accident was on a local road, there was no real chance of danger. So I was incorrect in saying I would never move my car.

We actually had a witness but she didn't hang around. Had I thought about it I would have asked her to stay. The cop was cool and all but he told me that he had no proof otherwise so he had to put down both stories. I am pretty sure he knew I was telling the truth but he had no choice.

We ended up filing tickets against the other driver thanks to my cousin who is a lawyer. I didn't go through the insurance company (don't want those NJ rates to go any higher) and was able to get 50% but 100% would have obviously been nicer.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Maxman[/i]@Mar 1 2004, 04:22 PM
    [b] GOB:
    Agreed 100%. If I was on a major highway then safety would be first. Always first. This accident was on a local road, there was no real chance of danger. So I was incorrect in saying I would never move my car.

We actually had a witness but she didn't hang around. Had I thought about it I would have asked her to stay. The cop was cool and all but he told me that he had no proof otherwise so he had to put down both stories. I am pretty sure he knew I was telling the truth but he had no choice.

We ended up filing tickets against the other driver thanks to my cousin who is a lawyer. I didn't go through the insurance company (don't want those NJ rates to go any higher) and was able to get 50% but 100% would have obviously been nicer. [/b][/quote]
    That sucks that you got hosed. I've seen it happen myself on occasion.

Witnesses to accidents are weird. The ones that saw everything don't want to stick around. The ones that didn't stick around and want to tell everyone what they thought they saw. Some people just love to be involved in those things. I had one where 3 witnesses waited for me and each told me the same thing, then a fouth comes forward about 10 mins later saying she saw the whole thing. She begins to tell me the COMPLETE opposite of what really happened. :lol:

Maxman
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria+Mar 1 2004, 03:47 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (The Gun Of Bavaria @ Mar 1 2004, 03:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Maxman[/i]@Mar 1 2004, 04:22 PM
    [b] GOB:

We actually had a witness but she didn&#39;t hang around. Had I thought about it I would have asked her to stay. The cop was cool and all but he told me that he had no proof otherwise so he had to put down both stories. I am pretty sure he knew I was telling the truth but he had no choice.

We ended up filing tickets against the other driver thanks to my cousin who is a lawyer. I didn&#39;t go through the insurance company (don&#39;t want those NJ rates to go any higher) and was able to get 50% but 100% would have obviously been nicer. [/b][/quote]
    That sucks that you got hosed. I&#39;ve seen it happen myself on occasion.

Witnesses to accidents are weird. The ones that saw everything don&#39;t want to stick around. The ones that didn&#39;t stick around and want to tell everyone what they thought they saw. Some people just love to be involved in those things. I had one where 3 witnesses waited for me and each told me the same thing, then a fouth comes forward about 10 mins later saying she saw the whole thing. She begins to tell me the COMPLETE opposite of what really happened. :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Believe me, I have a whole world of respect for the stuff that you guys have to put up with.