Thread: Brian Leetch Traded to Toronto

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know this should be in the NHL Forum, but this is pretty big

Leetch Gone!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW

Jeez. Everyone's gearing up for the playoffs...Leetch to TOR, Gonchar to BOS.

Who's next? (Please let it be Brendan Witt to the Island)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not surprising. Very sad day though. I wish him nothing the best of luck. Total class.

It's about time the Rangers blew this thing up.

Kovalev: Gone
    Nedved: Gone
    Leetch: Gone
    Markanen:Gone (Sorry if I misspelled his name)

More to come I'm sure

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see the Rangers got back Steve Valiquette in the Nedved/Markkanen deal...I liked him in his very brief stint on the Island a few years ago.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    That was quite a haul for Leetchie ... what did the Rangers get for the other guys?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The best player in all the trades seems to be the player they got from Montreal for Kovalev. The Rangers got absolutely nothing for Leetch. Sad, Sad day for the Blueshirts. This really sucks. I knew he had to be traded, but I never thought that friggin messier would be the last of the '94 team left on the Rangers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Mar 3 2004, 09:26 PM
    That was quite a haul for Leetchie ... what did the Rangers get for the other guys?
    For Nedved/Markkanen, they got a forward (Dwight Helminen) who is currently playing at the Univ. of Michigan, a goalie in the AHL (Stephen Valiquette) and a 2004 second-round pick.

The guy they got back in the Kovalev deal sounds like the best player of all.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Chrisrud@Mar 3 2004, 09:29 PM
    The best player in all the trades seems to be the player they got from Montreal for Kovalev. The Rangers got absolutely nothing for Leetch. Sad, Sad day for the Blueshirts. This really sucks. I knew he had to be traded, but I never thought that friggin messier would be the last of the '94 team left on the Rangers.
    That's not what I read. I read both prospects had real good potential.

Nedved & Kovy gone=Addition by subtraction. Now Nedved can skate around in Deadmonton, and Kovy can take his penalties in Montreal.

Notice Splatts only likes to deal with Canadian teams. Perhaps it is because he and they say
    "Organ-EYE-zation LOL

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Chrisrud@Mar 3 2004, 09:29 PM
    The Rangers got absolutely nothing for Leetch. Sad, Sad day for the Blueshirts. This really sucks. I knew he had to be traded, but I never thought that friggin messier would be the last of the '94 team left on the Rangers.
    Are you friggin kidding me?

You get perhaps a future star in that 1st rd pick, and maybe a solid player in that 2nd rd pick

Maxim Kondriatiev was on the Leafs for a bit, hes a big, rugged defenceman who will hep you out. Not sure about the Immonen guy, but I heard before on the Toronto radio that he was young and NHL-ready

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The two prospects were ranked 4th and 9th respectively in te Leafs organ-EYE-zation. Kondratiev could play in the NHL at some point, but the other guy will likelybe a mainstay in Hartford. Both are 21 years old though.

The first round pick will be a high pick since the Leafs are the best team in the East.

I am not sure if I would have dealt Leetch, but I guess somehting had to be done.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by -inVINCEible-@Mar 3 2004, 09:38 PM

Are you friggin kidding me?

You get perhaps a future star in that 1st rd pick, and maybe a solid player in that 2nd rd pick

Maxim Kondriatiev was on the Leafs for a bit, hes a big, rugged defenceman who will hep you out. Not sure about the Immonen guy, but I heard before on the Toronto radio that he was young and NHL-ready
    Kondratiev is 6-1, 190 and sounds like a smaller, less talented version of Tom Poti

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info guys ... gotta learn more about these kids the Rangers received in return ... hope they landed solid prospects

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maxim Kondratiev is a prototypical offensive defenseman. He possesses above average speed and very strong skating ability. He is very maneuverable and possesses great lateral movement. An observer from Togliatti commented that he possesses stronger skating that some of Ladaís forwards. His playing style is similar to that of Montrealís Andrei Markov, who started his career as a forward with Khimik Voskresensk before being pulled back to play defense. Maxim is not a defensive liability, but he always pushes towards the offensive zone. When on the attack, his head is usually up, looking for an open teammate. His hockey sense is there, but his passes could use some improvement and better precision. Maximís most dangerous weapon is his slap shot. It is well aimed and very powerful. He also does not hesitate to shoot the puck, something that is likely the byproduct of Petr Vorobievís coaching. Vorobiev does not usually use offensive defensemen on his team, but Kondratiev is obviously an exception to that rule. Under Vorobiev, Maximís offensive abilities continued improving, but even more importantly, he started to learn about defensive accountability. It is a rare sight, if you ever saw him leave the blue line while in the offensive zone Ė Petr Vorobiev describes the role of a defenseman very clearly, and it is not to be next to the opponentís net.

Defensively, Maxim is a reserved player. He will act when push comes to shove, but prefers to avoid an outright confrontation whenever possible Ė and this could be attributed to his age and size. Maxim fights hard for the puck at the boards and in the open ice, but he still weights only 176 pounds despite his solid 6í1 frame and this clearly hurts him against stronger, more experienced players.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I absolutely hate it. How does sather trade away the heart and soul of the blueshirts for 16 yrs. Its absolutely is a sad day for New York Rangers Hockey! If Sather's smart he won't be anywhere near the garden for the next home game. BTW, the words prospects and hockey don't mix. I think Brian Leetch was the last NYR draft pick to actually amount to something.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chris, sounds like a kid with a big upside

I'm a hard guy to ask cause I have always loved the offensive defensemen with skills

Orr, Coffey, Leetch ... these were my three favorites ... so obviously I like the sounds of this kid

PS. Thanks for the info

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yea he is only 21 so he does have some upside. To be honest they could have gotten anyone and I would not have liked the deal. I love Leetch, he is the heart and soul of that team. It just seems like they could have gotten more. However, Gonchar was dealt today for basically nothing.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kovalev and Nedved make sense. But Leetch is 35, keeps in great shape and runs the power play like no one else can. There's no reason to think he can't like Ray Borque, Scott Stevens or Chris Chelios play at a high level until he's 40. "A talented Poti" is a joke. 6'1"-cmon! Give me an Ed Jovanoski-prototype or a nasty two way guy like Chelios. This is a joke.

Leetch will never be back as long as Slats is mismanaging things. Trading an American guy to a Canadian team will cost him mucho bucks, Leetch grew up in Connecticut and his wife is from Maspeth. If he was dealt to Colorado, Dallas, Jersey, Philly or Boston, I still wouldn't like it. But this is a slap in the face of a guy who's been the Rangers for 16 years. If you want to trade someone who's notwithstanding his history now useless, get rid of Messier already. He's been done the whole time he's come back after the canucks. Dolan if he had a brain should have disallowed this trade.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i have tos ay Leetch disappointed me tis seaon but he to me a true ranger

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Chrisrud@Mar 3 2004, 09:00 PM
    Yea he is only 21 so he does have some upside. To be honest they could have gotten anyone and I would not have liked the deal. I love Leetch, he is the heart and soul of that team. It just seems like they could have gotten more. However, Gonchar was dealt today for basically nothing.
    Chris, I'm almost ashamed to say this cause Leetch is one of my all-time favorite Rangers ... right there with Messier

But you know me ... my ideas about football extend to all sports ... if I'm not winning with old guys than I will always exchange them for young guys

Like I said, I'm ashamed to even say that here cause I have such affection for Brian Leetch ... but from a hockey standpoint, removing emotion from the equation, I believe this was a house cleaning the Rangers had to make ... getting youth in return was the way to go

Again, in this case I am ashamed to make that admission

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We could have gotten better prospects for Leetch had we dealt with the Flyers or Devils.

I would not have been able to handle seeing Leetchie skate in the Deaowlands wearing those putrid red uniforms, and, even worse, in PHilly.

Another thing, if it were the Jets stockpiling draft picks like the Rangers are, everyone would be turning cartwheels. I am not a Sather fan, but at least he has heard the call of the fans to finally dump these overpaid underachievers for youth.