Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brian Leetch Traded to Toronto

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What strikes me from the thumbnail sketches of the players the rangers got is they're all relativley small, offensive and (not to be nasty) European. And not European in an Esa Tikanen-nasty way. Slats still thinks it's 1985, and Jari Kurri and Kent Nilsson are going to wheel around huge ice surfacespast slow lumbering stationary guys. The game has changed-big, strong, nasty, and unless it's a guy like Tikanen, North American. This is ridiculous. There's not a single player in the bunch described as big, nasty, a bodychecker, a street sweeper in fron to of the net, a JohnLeclair-stand-in-front-of the net power forward. LITTLE FAST GUYS. Is Slats drunk 24/7?Does he watch the NHL, or does it get in the way of his golf outings in Palm Springs? Soemone get this loser a calendar and a one-way ticket to Palm Springs.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    After the Detroit-Calgary game on TSN former Rangers goalie and I think a current Maple Leaf broadcaster, Glen Healy gave his asessment of the deal. Didn't like it from a Rangers standpoint and said the following...

Kondratiev: quit on the Leafs AHL club after being sent down, and appears as if he may have returned to Russia

Immonen: too small and will never play in the NHL

However, he then said that both players were two of the top-5 prospects in the Leafs organization

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not as fanatical about hockey, as I was prior to my Whalers leaving Connecticut, but I still follow the sport and have a decent feel for things.

On the surface, this trade stinks, but is probably a deal Leetch wanted. I mean, how long has it been since the Rangers made the playoffs? How many more seasons did Leetch want to waste in NYC, with a clueless front office?

As far as the prospects, my first reaction would have to be, how good can they be, considering the Leafs trade away all their prospects and picks every season for veterans?

Bugg makes an good point about sending an American to Toronto. You get the feeling that this will be a short stay in Ontario for Leetch, before he heads back to the states (Islanders, Bruins, Flyers?) to continue playing.

Looking back, Leetch was the crown jewel of Phil Esposito era. When Leetch was drafted, the Whalers were at their apex both on and off the ice and told the world they'd do anything to keep Leetch in the state. Espo lied and lied and lied about how much he disliked Leetch and loved Jocelyn Lemiuex. That lulled Whalers GM Emile Francis into believing he didn't need to trade up for Leetch who wanted to play for the Whale....

Oh well, at least you Ranger fans had him for 16 seasons and still have a team :blink:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh well at least Leetch gets to play on a playoff team, thanks for the memories Leetch!

One of the best Rangers ever!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I thought the time was right to move forward and speed up the rebuilding process," Sather said. "You have to start with a nucleus of players who have grown up in your organization."

Are you kidding me? Sather says this after years of doing the opposite? What a tool. I can't believe this fool still has a job.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I'm showing my Connecticut/U.S Hockey bias, but Leetch has to be the best Ranger ever. Hands down, when you consider his longevity, stats and talent level.

**How many Norris Trophy's did Brian win or was he a finalist for?

**He's one of only 5 NHL D-men to record 100 points in a season....Before D-head Bettman screwed up the league, by over expansion (which led to no offense), Leetch was Bobby Orr (I never saw Orr play, but)....

**He helped lead the Rangers to their only Stanely Cup win in the modern era.

**He helped the U.S win a World Cup title.

He's the man. Too bad the idiots that be at MSG are clueless in running sports franchises, or the Rangers would've made the playoffs once every 3 season's or so and Leetch would've stayed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Leetch is good for 5 more years of quality play, if he wants to. Again there's no reason to say he won't be like Borque, Stevens or Chelios. MORONIC for this deal. Slats goes and gets a bunch of little scared guys and a low 1st rounder. Slats is garbage.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    it is sad that it has come to this, we can only hope that they find a GM and coach that can come in and do something with these young guys we are getting

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Chrisrud@Mar 3 2004, 10:43 PM
    However, he then said that both players were two of the top-5 prospects in the Leafs organization
    although they are top 5 in the organization, the Leafs prospects in junior and the AHL are not good, with the exception of Coliacovo (sp?) and Steen

the Leafs continue to give away their future, but i guess its alright....because after the lockout, we will never win a cup lol

and also, the Leafs dont care about the future, they just pick up impact players in their prime

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Leetch because he is an American, but the dude is a HORRIBLE defenseman. They should've lined him up on the wing. He just got caught on the offensive end to much. Your D just got better.

Off to the NHL forum now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW!! Kovalev, Leetch, Nedved....can Messier be far behind??? Gotta credit the Blewshirts here. It's taken them FOREVER, but they have finally figured it out that ego, megamoney, and father time don't make for Stanley Cup winners. But what's taken them so long to do this????

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ASH_1962@Mar 3 2004, 10:21 PM
    We could have gotten better prospects for Leetch had we dealt with the Flyers or Devils.

I would not have been able to handle seeing Leetchie skate in the Deaowlands wearing those putrid red uniforms, and, even worse, in PHilly.

Another thing, if it were the Jets stockpiling draft picks like the Rangers are, everyone would be turning cartwheels. I am not a Sather fan, but at least he has heard the call of the fans to finally dump these overpaid underachievers for youth.
    Good point. In the 3 trades, the Rangers only gave up 1 guy who did anything this year (Leetch). They received a 1st, 2 seconds, and 5 kids. Not a terrible haul. Hopefully, they can do more of the same with Hlavik, Morinov, Malikhov, Barnaby, and 1 or 2 others.

Build a team around Holik, Jagr and Ruchinsky, with all the kids making up the other lines. Lundmark gets a full shot at centering a #3 line.

They still may be players in the FA market, but get solid 2 way guys, not the glamor (Kovalev).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by jetsfreak10@Mar 3 2004, 09:57 PM
    I absolutely hate it. How does sather trade away the heart and soul of the blueshirts for 16 yrs. Its absolutely is a sad day for New York Rangers Hockey! If Sather's smart he won't be anywhere near the garden for the next home game. BTW, the words prospects and hockey don't mix. I think Brian Leetch was the last NYR draft pick to actually amount to something.
    Sorry, I disagree. I would have loved for Leetch to finish his career as a Ranger, but we needed to do this 3 years ago, so now that it's happening, I'm glad.

Emotions do not win hockey games.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jetsfreak - Every day the Rangers play is a sad day for "Rangers hockey". <_<

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    GGG is finally the voice of reason. This is so long overdue. You Rangers fans have been complaining for so long about this team(7 years?) but you&#39;d rather watch more of the same? C&#39;mon. And Bugg..."scared little guys"? Look at what some of these lunch pail teams are doing...Minnesota, Calgary, Nashville, Tampa. Sather&#39;s finally doing something he should&#39;ve done when he got there. <_<

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CanadaJet@Mar 4 2004, 11:35 AM
    GGG is finally the voice of reason. This is so long overdue. You Rangers fans have been complaining for so long about this team(7 years?) but you&#39;d rather watch more of the same? C&#39;mon. And Bugg..."scared little guys"? Look at what some of these lunch pail teams are doing...Minnesota, Calgary, Nashville, Tampa. Sather&#39;s finally doing something he should&#39;ve done when he got there. <_<
    CanadaJet: Afraid most of the JI members would disagree with your "the voice of reason" comment....but thanks&#33; Hey did you happen to catch Leetch and his three points last night. AND...the star of the game. Gotta love it&#33;&#33;&#33;