Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT-Sheffield to miss 2-3 months?

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7154593

Not a done deal yet, but he could miss major time.

Sheffield might miss 2-3 months if thumb surgery is needed

March 8, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

TAMPA, Fla. -- New York Yankees slugger Gary Sheffield could be sidelined for up to three months because of a jammed right thumb.

Sheffield got hurt in a spring training game Saturday against Toronto. At first, the Yankees thought it was just a bruise. But after an MRI exam Sunday, the team decided Monday to send him to a hand expert in New York.

"Now, I'm officially worried about it," general manager Brian Cashman said.

Cashman said the worst-case scenario would be Sheffield requires surgery, meaning he would be out two to three months. The best-case scenario, Cashman said, would be the right fielder could return for spring training games.

New York already is without center fielder Bernie Williams, who had an appendectomy and will probably miss the season-opening two-game series against Tampa Bay in Tokyo.

Sheffield said he aggravated a thumb injury from last season.

Banned
    one of those outfielders from the game yesterday looked pretty decent, maybe they should give him a shot

ofcourse i only watched one inning but apparently he was playing good defense all game

'Roid thumb.

Hall Of Fame
    Speaking of 'roids.....if Jason Giambi isn't a glaring example of a man OFF of his steriod cycle routine, I don't know who is. If Yankee fans thought he stunk in the playoff's last year, just wait 'till this year's regular season when he'll be batting his way to the bottom of the line-up. Too bad too, he's actually a very nice guy and I will dislike seeing him getting bashed by the media this year.

Banned
    Originally posted by Garbanza@Mar 8 2004, 03:59 PM
    Speaking of 'roids.....if Jason Giambi isn't a glaring example of a man OFF of his steriod cycle routine, I don't know who is. If Yankee fans thought he stunk in the playoff's last year, just wait 'till this year's regular season when he'll be batting his way to the bottom of the line-up. Too bad too, he's actually a very nice guy and I will dislike seeing him getting bashed by the media this year.
    didnt he hit 2 home runs off Pedro in the same game last year in the playoffs?

Roid thumb...that is hilarious.....when dudes get off the juice weird stuff happens...achilles tears, bad knees all year, weird muscle tears...watch....it will happen this year...also power numbers go down...any predictions on what giambi, bonds and sheff will put up this year?

LL

Are you kidding me i have him on my fantasy team. DANG.

Hall Of Fame
    He may have been productive at one point, but I'm pretty sure he was batting .190 avg. or something like that. Not what you want from your clean-up guy. His performance left a lot to be desired and he was "demoted" in the line-up, batting 6th? I think. I'll put it this way. His playoff production was as good as Nomar's....which wasn't good at all.

Originally posted by Garbanza@Mar 8 2004, 03:59 PM
    Usally your pretty informed....today your not.

Go take a look at Jeff Bagwell,if you want to see a guy who like more obvious than giambi.

Plus lets not forget Gimabi was League MVP...he is a hitting machine...and all that weight he put on was bad for his health...

He will be faster and lighter and he will still pound the ball....So don't get you hopes up that he will stink...

He is a damn good basebal player ,outside of being a power hitter....but you will see taht this year.

PS he had a bad knee...we know why he stunk.

I love how you guys are riding your high horse because no Redsox were named out loud...

Hall Of Fame
    Have you seen him, Smizzy? Of course you have, you are a die-hard Yankees fan. He's lost a lot of weight, not the "four" pounds he claims to have lost. No way does a power hitter lose his guns (he used to have beautiful arms - saw them in person - hugged him, actually) and maintain his power.

Question: what does that monsterous tat he had on his arm look like now?

Losing Shef would be a blow, but Sierra can play RF till June

Not a huge blow ... so long as Shef returns in June

Neither Guy is winning any Gold Gloves ... Shef is clearly the better hitter but Sierra can hack

Originally posted by Garbanza@Mar 8 2004, 04:16 PM
    Have you seen him, Smizzy? Of course you have, you are a die-hard Yankees fan. He's lost a lot of weight, not the "four" pounds he claims to have lost. No way does a power hitter lose his guns (he used to have beautiful arms - saw them in person - hugged him, actually) and maintain his power.

Question: what does that monsterous tat he had on his arm look like now?
    Yes i have...But have you seen bagwell?

Looks even worse...i swear to god,even worse. Bagg's must have lost 40pds.

Anyway ,i agree he used,thats why ive lost alot of respect for him

This doesn't mean he's a trash ball player now because he lost some power...the kid can still play ball.

Hall Of Fame
    I haven't seen Bagwell, so I'll take your word on it. Doesn't shock me.

Never said Giambi was trash, I like the man. I also don't fault him for doing what he may have been pressured into doing. Heck, we all make mistakes. I do, however, fault him for being dumb. Please don't say you lost only four pounds by eliminating fast food from your diet. He could have come up with something better than that!

Originally posted by Garbanza@Mar 8 2004, 04:27 PM
    I haven't seen Bagwell, so I'll take your word on it. Doesn't shock me.

Never said Giambi was trash, I like the man. I also don't fault him for doing what he may have been pressured into doing. Heck, we all make mistakes. I do, however, fault him for being dumb. Please don't say you lost only four pounds by eliminating fast food from your diet. He could have come up with something better than that!
    Go check out the new SI...they have bfore and after of both Giambi and Baggwell.

Its shocking.

I got your point...it was he will be less of a baseball player with out his power....and he's dumb for thinking we would believe the 4pounds thing...i gotcha.

Just so you know...i have taken down my Giambi authograph ...becuase its signed on a pic with his giant rock head...and now h&#39;e skinner than me <_<

Anyhow...he will still produce in that yankee lineup.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

how convienent

Hall Of Fame
    Honestly, I think he looked better on the juice. "Skinny" guys aren&#39;t so appealing. I&#39;m sure you know this first hand by all the women you must soosh away daily, Smizz. B)

I&#39;m going to check out that pic of Bagwell now.

Originally posted by Garbanza@Mar 8 2004, 04:40 PM
    Honestly, I think he looked better on the juice. "Skinny" guys aren&#39;t so appealing. I&#39;m sure you know this first hand by all the women you must soosh away daily, Smizz. B)

I&#39;m going to check out that pic of Bagwell now.
    You know it baby

Who wants skinny?

I need a little something to hold on to...you know

Maxman
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Mar 8 2004, 04:16 PM

Neither Guy is winning any Gold Gloves ... Shef is clearly the better hitter but Sierra can hack
    I would be pretty surprised if Sierra played RF on an everyday basis. Real surprised. Spot duty I could live with, Joe can pick his spots with Ruben.

But Travis Lee is the man. He can flat out hit and the Yankees would have to live with some imperfections in the field. Lee made a nice diving catch yesterday.

Looks like a great Cashman signing...just in time to. Lee&#39;s price would have went up had they waited.

That grand slam Giambi hit the other day was really tagged. So he still has some power in his arsenal. He also his much healthier then last year. He won&#39;t hit .251 again. Jason and Bernie will have comeback seasons and all will be fine in Yankeeland.

Originally posted by Maxman+Mar 8 2004, 08:03 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maxman @ Mar 8 2004, 08:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Green Jets & Ham@Mar 8 2004, 04:16 PM

I would be pretty surprised if Sierra played RF on an everyday basis. Real surprised. Spot duty I could live with, Joe can pick his spots with Ruben.

But Travis Lee is the man. He can flat out hit and the Yankees would have to live with some imperfections in the field. Lee made a nice diving catch yesterday.

Looks like a great Cashman signing...just in time to. Lee&#39;s price would have went up had they waited. [/b][/quote]
    Don&#39;t forget Tony Clark, who also has some outfield exprience. He may contribute some also.

:Looking at the Yankee minor league prospect, there are some interesting guys, but no one who is ready to step in. Mike Ventro, a line drive hitter, who had an excellent season in AA ball is a RF, but needs more seasoning. Bubba Crosby, a decent hitter with no power is someone who may be closer, but he is raw. There&#39;s a fellow who was in A ball, Jason Drobyck (something like that) who hit 30 HRs and 90+ RBIs, with a .300 AVG, but he&#39;s mainly a 1B, although he did play some in the OF. Otherwise, not much is available on the farm.