Thread: How Good is SHAWN ANDREWS, OT, Arkansas

We seem to be addressing some of our needs through FA - LB, WR, CB.

I don't know about you, but our OL can use some help.

How good is SHAWN ANDREWS, OT, Arkansas ?

If he is a dominant blocker, is he worth consideration?

Hall Of Fame
    IMO, after the draft the Jets will pick up a FA guard

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Yes, He is worth consideration.

He is the second best overall offensive lineman in this years draft.

I think, he can play some guard in the pros too,. He's an option at 12 if we stay there.

Rookie
    [quote][i]Originally posted by YoungJetsFan[/i]@Mar 8 2004, 04:48 PM
    [b] Yes, He is worth consideration.

He is the second best overall offensive lineman in this years draft.

I think, he can play some guard in the pros too,. He's an option at 12 if we stay there. [/b][/quote]
    He's of no use to us if KM stays, which he almost certainly will. And no guard is worthy of a #12 pick. The best guards only go as high as late first. Starting guards can be picked up in the mid rounds.

At this point, he might be the teams best option at #12, rather than "reaching for a LB or CB".

Mel Kiper has him going to Tampa with the 15th and says Andrews is "the runblocking tackle" in the draft.

I wouldn't, at all, be suprised to see the Jets pick him at #12 as a tackle.

One question mark? He seems to be a strange dude....He just walked out on his team at the end of season, I think.....And has had a rash of minor injuries, to go along with being way out of shape at times.

Seems like your typical "boom or bust" type....For now, I lean towards "boom", but teams need to look into him real closely.

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by metjet[/i]@Mar 8 2004, 04:46 PM
    [b] We seem to be addressing some of our needs through FA - LB, WR, CB.

I don't know about you, but our OL can use some help.

How good is SHAWN ANDREWS, OT, Arkansas ?

If he is a dominant blocker, is he worth consideration? [/b][/quote]
    This guy is a great talent, but can't control his wieght and is never motivated.

He's the next Aaron Gibson.

I just don't like Andrews. For what it would take to get Andrews (top 16 at least) we could move down and get two linemen. Two of these four guys would be preferable to Andrews IMHO:

Vernon Carey
    Jacob Rogers
    Nat Dorsey
    Chris Snee

He also has a brother at mississippi who only played this year (he was a track guy) according to Kiper he's a legitimate project guy because of his combine numbers.

Unless some miracle happens allowing us to get Gallery, we should move down and target this player:

77 Jacob Rogers Tackle Southern California
    Year: Sr Height: 6-6 Weight: 305 40: 5.20 Hometown: Oxnard, CA
    Positives: Great pass blocker; [b]has never allowed a sack[/b]. Rides his guy out of the play. Slides real well in pass protection. Almost never misses a block. Uses good form when pass blocking. Uses his hands well. Has good feet. OK run blocker. Has the feet to play left tackle in the NFL. Has good size. Bends at the waist. Comes out of his stance quick. Can get to the second level. Has started every game of his career. Very durable player.

Negatives: For a former TE he's not a great athlete. Only has average speed and quickness. Needs work on his run blocking; could get stronger. Gets bull rushed into the QB sometimes. Doesn't get down the field all that well.

Bottom Line: Although he is limited athletically, Rogers is one of the most polished left tackles in the draft. [b]You can stick him at left tackle as a rookie [/b]and he will protect your QB's back side. He does need to get stronger and work on his run blocking technique. He compares similar to Jon Stinchcomb of the Saints who was drafted in the 2nd round out of Georgia in '03. He will go between the 2nd and 3rd round depending on his workouts at the combine and his injury situation.
    Brian Maafi
    11/23/03

Andrews is projected somewhere in the mid 1st round. My gut feeling is that they will go CB, but one never knows. I believe they would somehow like to recover that 2nd rd pick they traded away. They may opt to trade down. Or perhaps trade away some players to secure additional picks.

With there final draft board pending, it will be interesting how they rate their board. Players like Wilfork, Udeze, Will Smith, C.Gamble and Andrews could all be on the board at no. 12. Not to mention Roy or Reggie Willams.

:rolleyes: OL you can get in the later rounds we need a hard hitter in the saftey position Taylor looks the best. If the D can get the turnover ratio up the O will take care of the rest. We need D. Our D plain and simply sucked last year.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Riggins44[/i]@Mar 8 2004, 04:55 PM
    [b] One question mark? He seems to be a strange dude....He just walked out on his team at the end of season, I think.....And has had a rash of minor injuries, to go along with being way out of shape at times.

Seems like your typical "boom or bust" type....For now, I lean towards "boom", but teams need to look into him real closely. [/b][/quote]
    He was actually academically ineligible and could not play. Most people don't realize but more times than not when underclassmen enter the draft they are failing in school and won't be eligible the next season. Crap....a lot of them stop going to classes altogether.

No way would I classify him as boom or bust, he was dominant at Arkansas the day he stepped on the field.

And I think Kiper is wrong as Andrews will be gone way before 15. I think he's going to be a dominant RT in the NFL.