Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda...

McCareins was a restricted free agent who the Titans tendered at the $1.3M level, meaning they would be compensated with a first rounder if another team signed him.

The Jets weren't interested in giving up a first rounder so they negotiated and the Titans ultimately let them have him for their 2nd rounder.

I think the Jets dropped the ball once again. This front office has no creativity.

Wouldn't it have made more sense for the Jets to shop their second rounder around a little bit before agreeing to this deal. The Jets could've traded down with a team like the Patriots in exchange for both of the Patriots 2nd rounders and then sent one of those 2nd rounders (most likely the higher one) to the Titans.

With a little creativity, the Jets could've had McCareins and a 2nd round pick.

Even if they didn't want to deal with the Patriots they could have traded down with someone else. Maybe they wouldn't have ended up with two second rounders but at worst, they'd net themselves an extra 3rd or 4th rounder. Or maybe they could have traded down for 2nd rounder in next year's draft. The possibilities are endless.

It just seems to me that the Jets missed a golden opportunity. The 12th pick of the second round is a relatively high slot.

I think GM's and coaches (especially offensive coordinators) need to start playing some Madden. It's not just some kids video game. It's an NFL simulation and potentially a great tool for them to use to enhance their "job" skills.

No Madden player would ever have missed the opportunity that the Jets front office just did.

Good to know you were at Hofstra and heard all the things the Jets tried to work out for this deal. I'm sure they exhausted only 1 option.

Shut up dewbag.

[quote][i]Originally posted by PYPER[/i]@Mar 8 2004, 08:20 PM
    [b]

I think GM's and coaches (especially offensive coordinators) need to start playing some Madden. It's not just some kids video game. It's an NFL simulation and potentially a great tool for them to use to enhance their "job" skills.

No Madden player would ever have missed the opportunity that the Jets front office just did. [/b][/quote]
    C'mon dude I play Madden and ended up trading Garnes and Donnie Abraham even up for Moulds. Gimme a break.

As far as the move, I also felt they could have waited and really blasted the move at the time because of it. But they got the man they wanted and it is simple as that. Considering we have missed out on players we wanted in the past by waiting for better offers, I am just glad they got it done. BTW, bad form as a Patsy fans starting a thread trying to blast Jets FO. <_<

All League
    Highly dought New England would swap 2nd round picks. Belichek dosent play Madden football he playes for real. Want a be coach or GM he is not. He has a habit of getting better than he gives.

All Pro
    The kind of Trade you propose are made on draft day or very close to draft day when teams pretty much become desperate(last years Jets)or have their final draft boards assembled.More than a month before the draft,you believe the Pats are going to give the Jets 2 low price 2nd rounders to move up in round 2.

Jets Insider VIP
    Simply put you are wrong, since Bradway inidicated that they had targeted McCareins from the very begining so there was no Woulda Coulda, Shoulda

Hall Of Fame
    understand this move like this...

the FO planned on drafting a WR in the second round and they drafted McCareins, simple

what other WR would have been better sitiing there at the 2nd round

Rashaun Woods?

nah, J Mc is the best receiver sitting there when we pick in round 2

[quote][b]McCareins was a restricted free agent who the Titans tendered at the &#036;1.3M level, meaning they would be compensated with a first rounder if another team signed him.

The Jets weren&#39;t interested in giving up a first rounder so they negotiated and the Titans ultimately let them have him for their 2nd rounder.

I think the Jets dropped the ball once again. This front office has no creativity.

Wouldn&#39;t it have made more sense for the Jets to shop their second rounder around a little bit before agreeing to this deal. The Jets could&#39;ve traded down with a team like the Patriots in exchange for both of the Patriots 2nd rounders and then sent one of those 2nd rounders (most likely the higher one) to the Titans.

With a little creativity, the Jets could&#39;ve had McCareins and a 2nd round pick.

Even if they didn&#39;t want to deal with the Patriots they could have traded down with someone else. Maybe they wouldn&#39;t have ended up with two second rounders but at worst, they&#39;d net themselves an extra 3rd or 4th rounder. Or maybe they could have traded down for 2nd rounder in next year&#39;s draft. The possibilities are endless.

It just seems to me that the Jets missed a golden opportunity. The 12th pick of the second round is a relatively high slot.

I think GM&#39;s and coaches (especially offensive coordinators) need to start playing some Madden. It&#39;s not just some kids video game. It&#39;s an NFL simulation and potentially a great tool for them to use to enhance their "job" skills.

No Madden player would ever have missed the opportunity that the Jets front office just did[/b][/quote]

Here in the real world if you remember the real world? things like that do not happen. The Patriots helping the Jets, only in Madden dude, not in reality.

And why can&#39;t the Jets still trade down from 12 and aquire a 2? :blink:

All League
    yes lets bash the Jets for not ripping off a team even more...

Hall Of Fame
    As Pyper would say, Pyper needs to crack the windows.

The fumes are getting to Pyper.

Geezus.

Could we start a dumber thread?

Hey, let&#39;s give it up for Pyper. He achieved in one post what Bradway&#39;s failed to do in three plus years.......Garner support for his front office amongst Jets fans. :D

I still think the Jets could&#39;ve traded down and gotten an extra pick or two plus McCareins but if you guys are happy....Then be happy.

I forgot I was talking to a crowd who reacted to winning the AFC East title in &#39;02 thanks to an unheard of tie breaker as if they had just won the Super Bowl.

I guess having low expectations is a necessary part of being a Jets fan.

);p

[quote][i]Originally posted by PYPER[/i]@Mar 8 2004, 08:20 PM
    [b] McCareins was a restricted free agent who the Titans tendered at the &#036;1.3M level, meaning they would be compensated with a first rounder if another team signed him.

The Jets weren&#39;t interested in giving up a first rounder so they negotiated and the Titans ultimately let them have him for their 2nd rounder.

Wouldn&#39;t it have made more sense for the Jets to shop their second rounder around a little bit before agreeing to this deal. The Jets could&#39;ve traded down with a team like the Patriots in exchange for both of the Patriots 2nd rounders and then sent one of those 2nd rounders (most likely the higher one) to the Titans.

With a little creativity, the Jets could&#39;ve had McCareins and a 2nd round pick.

Even if they didn&#39;t want to deal with the Patriots they could have traded down with someone else. Maybe they wouldn&#39;t have ended up with two second rounders but at worst, they&#39;d net themselves an extra 3rd or 4th rounder. Or maybe they could have traded down for 2nd rounder in next year&#39;s draft. The possibilities are endless.

I think GM&#39;s and coaches (especially offensive coordinators) need to start playing some Madden. It&#39;s not just some kids video game. It&#39;s an NFL simulation and potentially a great tool for them to use to enhance their "job" skills.

No Madden player would ever have missed the opportunity that the Jets front office just did. [/b][/quote]
    clear case of you not understanding a value chart for draft picks........no one except a mentally challenged person would take 42 for the pats two seconds........pioli would have laughed their asses at that suggestion......you stole JMac at 42

If you&#39;re arguing with the specific examples I gave, I fear you may have completely missed the point. I wasn&#39;t intending to provide detailed trade proposals, I was attempting to give you a general sense of what the Jets could have done.

The point is the Jets could have netted McCareins AND additional picks acquired through trading down.

I listed the Patriots as an example they&#39;re a team that will likely be interested in trading up in the second round. Due to the overall depth of their roster, late round picks are far less likely to make the team than they have been in the past. Therefore it makes sense for the Pats to package their late round picks in an attempt to move up in the first three rounds.

Perhaps my thoughts are too complicated for most of you. They seem to have gone over some your heads.

);p

[quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham[/i]@Mar 8 2004, 07:56 PM
    [b] And why can&#39;t the Jets still trade down from 12 and aquire a 2? :blink: [/b][/quote]
    The Question still stands <_<

[quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green[/i]@Mar 8 2004, 08:54 PM
    [b] understand this move like this...

the FO planned on drafting a WR in the second round and they drafted McCareins, simple

what other WR would have been better sitiing there at the 2nd round

Rashaun Woods?

nah, J Mc is the best receiver sitting there when we pick in round 2 [/b][/quote]
    Pyper.... I don&#39;t think we see eye to eye on very much....

Anyway, look, Tennessee had given McCareins a 1st rd tender.... it was their decision to accept the Jets 2nd rounder.... do you think they would have casually stood by while NYJ traded down to the end of the round and then said "ok, just as good". Nope, they would have demanded more picks to make up for the difference between #43 and #64.....

Was a 2nd rounder too much to give up? Maybe, but I think your criticism is off base.

I think a better criticism is that the Jets should have held out for a 4th or 5th rounder in return. The values relatively small for Tennessee, and for a team with as many holes as the Jets keeping the same number of draft picks would be helpful.

Now in regards to McCareins "being the best WR available in the 2nd round"..... that&#39;s Redskins Logic.

Aside from the "Anquan Boldin point", the real problem is that McCareins is going to cost something like 5 times what that 2nd rounder would have cost. In a salary cap world thats VERY important to consider.

I&#39;m coming down on the "against" side of the fence, though it might just be my anti-bradway bias. I&#39;m not coming down against the deal because McCareins isn&#39;t worth the 2nd..... he is. I&#39;m coming down agains it because McCareins isn&#39;t worth the 2nd rounder and the differential in salary.

And no there wouldn&#39;t have been a better WR in the 2nd.... but there might end up being a better player......

GBNs mock (as unreliable as anyone elses of course), currently has Michael Jenkins and Lee Evans going 36th and 37th..... Vernon Carey, Antwan Odom, Sean Jones, and Marcus Tubbs going in the 4 picks right before the NYJ 2nd..... and Dontarrious Thomas, Ted Lehman, Bob Sanders, and Chris Snee all going at or after the NYJ pick.

one of those guys+maybe 2 million a year in cap room (hard to tell what numbers are real because of backloading) OR McCareins

Bradway chose door #2.... time will tell

[quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Mar 8 2004, 10:03 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Green Jets & Ham @ Mar 8 2004, 10:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Green Jets & Ham[/i]@Mar 8 2004, 07:56 PM
    [b] And why can&#39;t the Jets still trade down from 12 and aquire a 2? :blink: [/b][/quote]
    The Question still stands <_< [/b][/quote]
    The question wasn&#39;t answered because it has nothing to do with anything.

What they do or don&#39;t do with their 1st rounder has no impact on the fact that they left picks on the table by not trading down prior to sending the Titans a second rounder.

Bradway and company elected for the "SIMPLE" way rather than the way that would net them the greatest value. The bottom line is that they could have netted the player they wanted AND a pick or two.......But instead, they just got the player.

[quote][i]Originally posted by PYPER+Mar 8 2004, 10:21 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PYPER @ Mar 8 2004, 10:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -Green Jets & Ham@Mar 8 2004, 10:03 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--Green Jets & Ham[/i]@Mar 8 2004, 07:56 PM
    The Question still stands <_< [/b][/quote]
    The question wasn&#39;t answered because it has nothing to do with anything.

What they do or don&#39;t do with their 1st rounder has no impact on the fact that they left picks on the table by not trading down prior to sending the Titans a second rounder.

Bradway and company elected for the "SIMPLE" way rather than the way that would net them the greatest value. The bottom line is that they could have netted the player they wanted AND a pick or two.......But instead, they just got the player. [/b][/quote]
    Pyper, that line of reasoning is so wrong it&#39;s not even funny....

The Jets didn&#39;t forfeit the #2 to the Titans (and even if they did NFL rules require it be equal to or higher than a teams "own" #2), they traded it. The Titans made the trade for the Jets #42 overall...... they might have NOT made it for the #55 or #64 overall....

Now, maybe the Titans would have settled for less, but maybe they wouldn&#39;t.

You can slam Bradway for not holding out for a better deal, but your line of reasoning is bizarre.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

RS

I think there was another team involved...and TB and HE made it sound as if Justin Mc. was their #1 offseason choice.

The Jets could not wait to develope a 2nd rounk WR...so they went after a young guy that can do something for us next year...not in 2007

most of us here in TN were suprised we gave him up for just a 42......there is no way we would have gone lower.......infact most down here believe because of the TO factor we likely would have got the iggles 28 if the jets did not do this.......and we think that was a mistake by not playing the hand a bit longer......reese said bradway wanted this deal done asap.......and i think that is why......he knew about TO being offered to the highest bidder and he felt he better make the JMac deal soon or miss out totally like the iggles have