Thread: McCareins interview

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think this was posted - Sounds like he is ready to roll.

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -- The New York Jets claim they targeted Tennessee wide receiver Justin McCareins as their top offseason priority all along.

McCareins, acquired in a trade with the Titans last week for a second-round draft pick, sounds ecstatic about the Jets' interest. He became a rich man Monday, signing a seven-year contract worth about $31 million, with a $7 million signing bonus.

``I just want to say I'm really excited,'' McCareins said. ``I mean, it's great to have a team be that interested in you. This is a young team on its way up. I'm real excited to join, get a chance to contribute. And I'm ready to work.''

The 25-year-old McCareins caught 47 passes for the Titans last season and scored seven touchdowns, one of them against the Jets in their Monday night upset victory over Tennessee.

``He's played in big games and obviously made a lot of big plays for the Titans,'' Jets coach Herman Edwards said. ``He made a big play against us on Monday night, right away. I can still see him running by me -- my hair kind of flying -- there he goes.

``He's a guy that can make big plays for us. He's physical, not afraid to go down there and block. He's played on special teams.''

Edwards added that special teams coach Mike Westhoff plans to use both McCareins and Santana Moss as punt returners ``in a dual situation.''

McCareins, who showed an ability to get deep for the Titans, believes he's a good fit for the Jets' West Coast offense, which calls for many quick slant patterns.

``I think I'm that type of player that fits well in (the West Coast offense),'' McCareins said. ``I'm real excited to be a part of it. I like being able to get the ball in my hands really quickly and getting a chance to run with it.

``Also, they're looking for guys who want to block and want to get into the safeties, dig it out there and help Curtis Martin run the ball. Those are the type of things I want to do.''

Earlier Monday, the Jets release Curtis Conway, and McCareins is expected to take his starting spot. Conway signed with the Jets as a free agent last season and started 15 games. He had 46 catches for 640 yards and two touchdowns.

General manager Terry Bradway emphasized the Jets' ``urgency'' to improve on their poor 2003 season.

``When you go 6-10, it's a very, very loud wakeup call,'' Bradway said. ``There's been a definite sense of urgency to get this thing back on track.

``Our whole approach this offseason was to get younger and faster, especially on defense. Justin was our No. 1 consideration from the start and we addressed our linebacker and corner situations.''

The Jets signed linebacker Eric Barton and cornerback David Barrett as free agents. The next task in free agency is finding a strong safety. Cincinnati's Rogers Beckett and Baltimore's Tom Knight, a former No. 1 draft pick who started only one game last season and didn't play in 2002, have visited with Bradway.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]Edwards added that special teams coach Mike Westhoff plans to use both McCareins and Santana Moss as punt returners ``in a dual situation.'' [/b][/quote]

one word : [SIZE=4][b]EXPLOSIVE[/b][/SIZE]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    seems interesting...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like McCareins enthusiaism, it's infectious :o

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just watching the highlight reel they showed of him excited me. Hes a bonafide deep threat who, from what I saw overpowered corners and could also straight up burn him. I like this kid A LOT.

Maxman
    Westhoff always used to go with the 2 punt returners at the same time I believe. I am pretty sure that was common for him at Miami. I wonder if they are doing that here. That would be cool.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is wearing #81. Where can we get his Jersey.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in, I think this guy has all the right stuff we need. He is a physical presence. I hope he punishes some Db's. He may not have Coles speed but he has enough strength and good enough speed. Chad should love throwing to this big target. :blink: Move them chains!

Veteran
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Maxman[/i]@Mar 8 2004, 11:32 PM
    [b] Westhoff always used to go with the 2 punt returners at the same time I believe. I am pretty sure that was common for him at Miami. I wonder if they are doing that here. That would be cool. [/b][/quote]
    Yeah, that would be cool. Although it would scare me a bit injury potential wise. I'm not sure if I want out #1 and #2 receivers returning KOs and punts.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    why the hell do you think we told you you'd love him.......problem is up in NYC everyone thinks TN is like back woods.......we have some very good players down here you have never heard of.......and JMac is one.........you'll be kissing our asses soon for giving him for a 42............you should have seen his
    TD against the fins this yr......he caught the ball behind him on his hip at the 21 and ran over tommy hendricks and madison to bowl into the endzone......and both the fins defenders got leveled.....no moves he just ran over them.......