Thread: Good Sign

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Pats lost other O-lineman 1st Woody 2nd Compton....Keep it coming Baby..I cant wait too Brady getting nailed

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by žick&ćired_Jećsâan[/i]@Mar 8 2004, 11:55 PM
    [b] The Pats lost other O-lineman 1st Woody 2nd Compton....Keep it coming Baby..I cant wait too Brady getting nailed [/b][/quote]
    Losing Woody hurts, no two ways about it, but we lost Compton early this season, he didn't even play for the majority of the win streak......

And don't forget, Neither Compton nor Woody was part of that impressive SB O-Line performance.

But yeah, the Pats need an injection of youth and talent on the OL. They have a deep "OL farm system", but still, a Snee, a Grove, or a Smiley in the 2nd round would look pretty good to me, maybe accompanied by another sleeper later or a hidden gem FA signing.

OK, and this is where it's just good to be a Pats fan. I can say something like "We should get a hidden gem OL in FA", and thats not total wishful thinking. Theres actually a good chance BB and co. can make it happen (though they'll probably take another OG due for retirement, since its worked pretty well so far)..... god we're getting spoiled.

Oh, and good avatar dude. Always good to see another Bradway-hater.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whats the deal with Ty Law ?

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by žick&ćired_Jećsâan[/i]@Mar 8 2004, 11:01 PM
    [b] Whats the deal with Ty Law ? [/b][/quote]
    He's good...and he'll be a Patriot next season.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by žick&ćired_Jećsâan[/i]@Mar 9 2004, 12:01 AM
    [b] Whats the deal with Ty Law ? [/b][/quote]
    Painful cap #, but not painful enough to cut him. They may explore trading him since the # is lower for the team that gets him (SB comes off the cap for them). Or they may keep him for one more year and then cut/trade him next year.

He's not hitting FA, I can guarantee you that..... and yeah, probably he'll be a Pat for this season. But this *will* be his last one.

Hopefully he goes into the HoF wearing Pats colors. We'll see.

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by RichardSeymour[/i]@Mar 8 2004, 11:06 PM
    [b] Hopefully he goes into the HoF wearing Pats colors. We'll see. [/b][/quote]
    I wouldn't start talking HOF yet. Law is very good but CB seems like a VERY hard position to get into the Hall. There are a total of 8 CBs currently in the HOF. I would be surprised if we see him there.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk+Mar 9 2004, 12:11 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (huskeralk @ Mar 9 2004, 12:11 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--RichardSeymour[/i]@Mar 8 2004, 11:06 PM
    [b] Hopefully he goes into the HoF wearing Pats colors. We&#39;ll see. [/b][/quote]
    I wouldn&#39;t start talking HOF yet. Law is very good but CB seems like a VERY hard position to get into the Hall. There are a total of 8 CBs currently in the HOF. I would be surprised if we see him there. [/b][/quote]
    8 CBs in the hall? Dayumn. If thats all there is then you&#39;re damn right. He may need to have Darrell Green like longevity to get in.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r: richardseymour...what gives? One of your strenghts last year was the Pats O-line.....is there a reason with the guys leaving...I mean thats two friggin linemen u just lost.....the Dolphins have also lost three starting O-linemen from 2003.

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by RichardSeymour[/i]@Mar 8 2004, 11:14 PM
    [b] 8 CBs in the hall? Dayumn. If thats all there is then you&#39;re damn right. He may need to have Darrell Green like longevity to get in. [/b][/quote]
    Actually, I stand corrected. It&#39;s 7. There are 2 S/CBs in the hall. Here&#39;s the list.

Herb Adderley (CB) 1961-1972
    Lem Barney (CB) 1967-1977
    Mel Blount (CB) 1970-1983
    Willie Brown (CB) 1963-1978
    Jack Christiansen (S) 1951-1958
    Mike Haynes (CB) 1976-1989
    Jimmy Johnson (CB) 1961-1976
    Dick "Night Train" Lane (CB) 1952-1965

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetsfreak[/i]@Mar 9 2004, 12:16 AM
    [b] :ph34r: richardseymour...what gives? One of your strenghts last year was the Pats O-line.....is there a reason with the guys leaving...I mean thats two friggin linemen u just lost.....the Dolphins have also lost three starting O-linemen from 2003. [/b][/quote]
    Compton was on IR since like week 4. Prior to that, he was the weakest link on the OL (though he was playing on a broken foot at the time). Woody would have been nice to keep, but he simply wasn&#39;t worth as much to us as he was to other teams. The Hochstein-Koppen-Andruzzi interior did just fine in the playoffs.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jared+Mar 9 2004, 12:19 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Jared @ Mar 9 2004, 12:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jetsfreak[/i]@Mar 9 2004, 12:16 AM
    [b] :ph34r: richardseymour...what gives? One of your strenghts last year was the Pats O-line.....is there a reason with the guys leaving...I mean thats two friggin linemen u just lost.....the Dolphins have also lost three starting O-linemen from 2003. [/b][/quote]
    Compton was on IR since like week 4. Prior to that, he was the weakest link on the OL (though he was playing on a broken foot at the time). Woody would have been nice to keep, but he simply wasn&#39;t worth as much to us as he was to other teams. The Hochstein-Koppen-Andruzzi interior did just fine in the playoffs. [/b][/quote]
    Couldn&#39;t have said it better myself.

Losing Compton is basically a non-factor. He did next to nothing for us this year, he&#39;s pretty old, im leaving frees up some cap space.

The Pats really didn&#39;t "lose" Compton, they let him walk.

They also let Woody walk, but there they really did lose something. One of the big sparks this year was putting in Koppen at C and moving Woody to LG. Koppen was adequate, but Woody at LG really solved a lot of the teams problems.

I&#39;d love to see Snee in the 2nd round.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r: thanks for the info.....I have never seen an offseason where so many players have changed teams....this includes the Jets.

Veteran
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Word of advise Pats fans ....Don&#39;t take O-Linemen losses too lightly.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r: I don&#39;t think the Chowds have much to worry about...they seem to know how to fill in players....O-line is a tough position to replace though.

I think the "new look" Jets team will be making some noise in 2004....for some reason I think the Dolphins will struggle....a new QB and losing three O-linemen.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Lady Jet[/i]@Mar 9 2004, 12:31 AM
    [b] Word of advise Pats fans ....Don&#39;t take O-Linemen losses too lightly. [/b][/quote]
    The only person in question who would matter would be Woody. His backup already played two games, one against a pop-warner DL, but the other matched up vs Kris Jenkins the entire game and played superbly.

I still wouldn&#39;t mind seeing a Snee or Carey added to compete with Andruzzi.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Compton sucks but losing Woody hurts. But I stand by the decision to let him walk. I don&#39;t think you can afford to break the bank on an interrior offensive linemen.

I believe a successful cap strategy must consider the fact that to be a great team there are certain positions where you MUST spend a lot of money and there are other positions where you must find QUALITY "cheap" guys, with the emphasis being on quality.

Ultimately you&#39;re going to have to spend BIG money on certain positions like QB, LT, RB, WR, CB, DL, LB.

This is why the draft is so important. The draft offers the opportunity to find STAR talent at a bargain price. The Patriots have been fortunate because they&#39;ve had a lot of young players still playing under their rookie deals at key positions like WR, LT, DL but when those deals start to expire, a lot of them will be expiring at the same time and there are bound to be a few casualties.

I&#39;m talking players like Richard Seymour, Matt Light, Deon Branch, David Givens, Daniel Graham, and Jarvis Green.

You&#39;ve got to build your team through the draft. And it&#39;s a continuous thing. It&#39;s not just having one good draft....You&#39;ve got to find players in every draft.

Then you use free agency to fill in the holes and add an occassional star if you can.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    With their 200 picks or so in the first four rounds, I think the Pats will be able to fill whatever holes they have.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Call me when The Pats lose Tom Brady, Rodney Harrison, Ty Law or Richard Seymour.

Not to sound like Peter King but The Pats are the clear favorite to return to and win the superbowl. As long as those 4 guys are on the field, They will have a chance.