Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tod Bertuzzi

Originally posted by afosomf@Mar 10 2004, 08:53 AM
    As an avid Avs fan i am disgusted with TB

He should be banned for at least a year and go to jail

BTW Moore's career may be over, fractured neck!!!!!!!!!
    Is that the final diagnosis? Fractured??

Then maybe I'm being too lenient on TB. Maybe he should get a life-time banishment from Pro Hockey.

Veteran
    Part of the motivation behind the investigation is a set of complaints recieved by hockey fans who witnessed the assault. I'll find the article that breaks it down ... stay tuned.

Veteran
    OK, here are some details ....

Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/10/sports/h...key/10MOOR.html
    __________________________________________________ ___________

Police Are Investigating Hit by Bertuzzi on Avalanche Player
    By RICK WESTHEAD

Published: March 10, 2004

In a hit by the Canucks' Todd Bertuzzi, the Avalanche's Steve Moore's neck was broken. He was carried from the ice and hospitalized.

Colorado's Steve Moore is taken off the ice on a stretch during Monday's game.

TORONTO, March 9 The Vancouver police said Tuesday that they were investigating a sucker punch and a face-first slam by the Canucks All-Star forward Todd Bertuzzi that left the Colorado Avalanche's Steve Moore hospitalized with a broken neck, a concussion and deep facial cuts.

In the third period of Colorado's 9-2 victory at Vancouver on Monday, Bertuzzi struck Moore from behind, punched him in the side of the head, then drove his head into the ice. After the 6-foot-3, 245-pound Bertuzzi landed on top of him, Moore lay in a pool of blood for several minutes. He was removed on a stretcher, and Bertuzzi was assessed a match penalty for attempt to injure. Moore, 25, a rookie center, remains hospitalized in Vancouver and will miss the rest of the season, the Avalanche said in a statement. His condition was not known.

"It's the cheapest shot I've ever seen," Avalanche General Manager Pierre Lacroix said Tuesday at a televised news conference in Vancouver. "I was just pleased to see his eyes open."

Bertuzzi, 29, has been suspended indefinitely pending a hearing at the N.H.L. office in Toronto on Wednesday. Moore was at the center of a controversy a month ago after delivering a questionable blow to Vancouver's captain, Markus Naslund, who led the league in scoring at the time. No penalty was called, but Naslund, who was struck in the head, missed three games with a concussion. At the time, Bertuzzi called Moore a punk and said he was glad the teams had two games remaining.

Vancouver's Brad May said of Moore after that game: "There's definitely a bounty on his head. Clean hit or not, that's our best player and you respond. It's going to be fun when we get him." May later said his comments were tongue-in-cheek.

Moore, from the Toronto area, played his college hockey at Harvard. His brother Dominic plays for the Rangers' Hartford affiliate.

Colin Campbell, the executive vice president who oversees discipline for the league, and Bertuzzi will not comment until a disciplinary decision is reached, the league said in a statement.

Constable Sarah Bloor said the Vancouver police began their investigation after several citizens complained about the hit at General Motors Place. She said three investigators had been assigned to the case. She said it might take a month before statements and other evidence were forwarded to the Regional Crown Counsel's office. Bertuzzi faces a possible assault charge, Bloor said.

It is the second time in four years that the Vancouver police have investigated an on-ice attack during an N.H.L. game. The former Boston defenseman Marty McSorley was convicted of assault with a weapon for hitting Vancouver's Donald Brashear in the head with his stick on Feb. 21, 2000. McSorley was not jailed, but the N.H.L. suspended him for a year, effectively ending his 17-year career. Mark Jette, a criminal lawyer in Vancouver, said there were similarities in the two cases, although he said Bertuzzi "didn't use the weapon of a hockey stick on Moore."

Jette said Vancouver prosecutors would probably proceed summarily, instead of by indictment. A summary assault conviction carries a maximum six-month jail term, although many first-time offenders are given discharges, fines or probation, Jette said. Those convicted of the more serious indictment assault charge face a maximum five years in prison. In 83 years, 11 N.H.L. players have faced charges for on-ice incidents. Wayne Maki of St. Louis and Ted Green of Boston were the first N.H.L. players taken to court, after a stick-swinging duel in a preseason game in 1969. Neither was convicted of assault charges. Green sustained a fractured skull.

Colorado said that when Moore's condition improved, he would be moved to Craig Hospital in Denver to be evaluated by neurosurgeons.

Vancouver General Manager Brian Burke told reporters that Bertuzzi was distraught and remorseful and that he had tried to contact Moore at the hospital.

Rookie
    I am a Islander fan and as someone said earlier this guy was a Wuss on the Islanders and now he is a great player, but a COWARD. I think he should be suspended as long as Moore cannot play. If that is forever, so be it. Also he should have to face any charges the police can pin on him. That was not sports, it was thuggery.

Hall Of Fame
    What's hockey?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

What is being lost in this thing is that Moore is a DIRTBAG!!

Bertuzzi was "making up" for his fellow player. Hockey is all about an eye for an eye. It's what keeps hockey players honest. You screw with our guy...you'll pay. Moore did...deservedly so!!

I wish Betruzzi was still on the Isles!!

All Pro
    ok first and foremost the league should suspend this coward for the remiander of this season and post season and most if not all of next season

if he is brought up on criminal charges he should be banished from the game for life - no playing coaching scouting etc for any NHL affiliated team!!!

and as far as criminal charges if a fan would hav ejumpoed a fellow fan or player and did the assauslt that was done they would have been arrested and charged

Bertuzzi shopuld be charged -
    and after all is said and done he should also be sued by the injured player

real tough guy now Bertuzzi -

Veteran
    Originally posted by djaparz@Mar 10 2004, 10:14 AM
    and as far as criminal charges if a fan would hav ejumpoed a fellow fan or player and did the assauslt that was done they would have been arrested and charged
    That's exactly my reasoning. Say what you want about how hockey=thuggery, but a crime is a crime and that was assault. If Moore did the same thing, then I'd expect charges there as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Originally posted by outsider@Mar 10 2004, 01:14 AM
    I like the Melrose rule that Bertuzzi should be suspended for as many games as Moore misses.

I agree with the fact that if one of your guys got run at then you should retaliate accordingly.

That manuever by Bertuzzi was pretty stupid because that is going to severely hurt his Canucks in the playoffs if he is suspended for a lot of games.
    It should be suspention times 3 of amount of games missed, cause the guy getting suspended doesn`t have to go through all the pain and suffering not to mention lost quality time with his family not to mention if the injured player does not comeback to his leval 100% it could end up costing him millions in lost salary......

Originally posted by jets fan515@Mar 10 2004, 12:08 AM
    If any one saw what he did i can not beleive what i just saw he should be kicked out of the nhl for a long time how can anyone e so vicious
    it was dirty shot but he should not be kicked out of the league the guy was jus protctin his captin he should be suspended 15-20games
    wen moore hit that black guy over the head wit his stick he wasnt thrown out of the league

Originally posted by nyj102883+Mar 10 2004, 11:55 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nyj102883 @ Mar 10 2004, 11:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jets fan515@Mar 10 2004, 12:08 AM
    If any one saw what he did i can not beleive what i just saw he should be kicked out of the nhl for a long time how can anyone e so vicious
    it was dirty shot but he should not be kicked out of the league the guy was jus protctin his captin he should be suspended 15-20games
    wen moore hit that black guy over the head wit his stick he wasnt thrown out of the league [/b][/quote]
    Look at the end result. Moore caussed a concussion, but the guy will be able to come back and play. TB lined Moore up, jumped him from behind, etc. Moore, with a fractured neck, may never play again.

Lifetime ban is very reasonable, IMO.

Lifetime ban is a little excessive. 25-30 games should do it. its the nature of the sport. im sure he wasn&#39;t trying to break the guy&#39;s neck. ESPN NHL anlyist Darren Pang agreed that this was not the worst he has seen and that he should be suspended the remainder of this year including playoffs.

Originally posted by R. Tyme+Mar 10 2004, 02:36 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (R. Tyme @ Mar 10 2004, 02:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -sneakizm@Mar 10 2004, 01:19 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin--R. Tyme
    @Mar 10 2004, 12:31 AM
    Just saw the clip on the news. He skated behind the guy and just punched him. I stopped watching hockey a long long time ago...too much fighting, just stupid and nothing has been effectively done to stop it and just play the damn game already.

he didn&#39;t just skate from behind and punch him in the head, after he did that he slammed his face into the ice and jumped on top of him beating him

as for your comments on fighting, its obvious you do not watch the sport and never have, the league averages less then one fight a game, i cant see how that is too much fighting, and btw the instigator rule has effectively lessened the amount of fights

keep your uneducated comments to yourself please or at least speak the truth
    Don&#39;t you ever accuse me of lying. I don&#39;t have to prove anything to you. who are you? I said I stopped watching hockey a long long time ago, can you read? I haven&#39;t watched a game in years but it seems every time they show a clip of a hockey game some where-- the local news, ESPN...they show fights. I&#39;m imagining this?

I was a hockey fan -- a huge Flyers fan back in the 70&#39;s, saw them win the Stanley Cup and way back then the Broad Street Bullies had Dave Schultz who started fights with everyone on the opposing teams and the fighting has continued. Then I switched to Islanders for a bit and quit. Has the fighting stopped? NO.

As for my comments on the Bertuzzi assault...the tone of my words was misunderstood-- I was agreeing that he was stalked and it was intentional. It didn&#39;t sound that way. I should have been clearer.

wait a minute, I&#39;m re-reading your post..."averages less than one fight a game"...what the hell does that mean? half a fight? one punch? "the league"...the whole league with all the teams and games in a hockey season and this stat doesn&#39;t sound like a sport that fights a lot to you?
    T [/b][/quote]
    Let&#39;s get something straight here. Tuze will get what&#39;s coming to him. Long suspension, charges, law suit, etc. So let&#39;s stop demanding he should get this, or get that. <_< The only lifetime ban here should go to that sawed-off little sh*t Gary Bettman. He&#39;s ruined what was a great game...not a perfect game mind you, but a great one none the less.

R Tyme-IMO you&#39;re wrong. The instigator rule has not "effectively lessened the amount of fights". In fact I believe that it is directly responsible for this incident and others like it. A few years back when Bettman wanted to sell hockey to Bayou Bob and every other hick in the Southern US who will always like Nascar better than their first born, he felt that in order to do so he had to try and eliminate fighting.

So what does Itty Bitty Bett do? He introduces the instigator rule meaning that if you deliberately start a fight, you are assessed a 2 minute instigating penalty along with the five minute major, AND you are kicked out of the game.

The result? Nobody wants to get booted and nobody wants to put their team down a man with the potential of the other team scoring and possibly handing them the game. Effective rule right? Wrong. What&#39;s happening in this watered down NHL is that we have a bunch of marginal players who were previously stuck in the Jules Verne league trying to make a name for themselves by going around hitting the stars, which is what Moore did last week.

He gave Naslund a concussion that made him miss three games. An inch one way or the other and it could have been Naslund in Moore&#39;s shoes. If you think what happened to Moore Monday is vicious, think of what would have happenend if that scenario play itself out. :o

The point is that there&#39;s no respect anymore. Moore, Tyson Nash(PHX), Brendan Morrow(DAL) and countless others are running around out there taking shots at the guys we pay big money to watch. And I&#39;ve got to say I&#39;ve never heard a kid ask "is Steve Moore was in the line-up tonight?" as I walked into a rink. <_<

If you let the players police themselves, if you TRULY let them police themselves and get rid of that instigator rule you&#39;d rarely ever see this kind of stuff. And you know what? It would open the game up and maybe, just maybe, the stars would begin to shine once again and you might start louring some of those fans back.

But what do I know, I&#39;m just a fan. :blink:

I doubt Gary shares my vision.

Originally posted by djaparz@Mar 10 2004, 10:14 AM
    ok first and foremost the league should suspend this coward for the remiander of this season and post season and most if not all of next season

if he is brought up on criminal charges he should be banished from the game for life - no playing coaching scouting etc for any NHL affiliated team&#33;&#33;&#33;

Bertuzzi shopuld be charged -
    and after all is said and done he should also be sued by the injured player

real tough guy now Bertuzzi -
    Perhaps we should ban every NFL and NBA player ever brought up on criminal charges. Christ, we&#39;d have half a friggin&#39; league left. <_< Get real.
    Hockey is still, IMO, the most honorable league left. Might have an argument for the NFL but MLB or the NBA? Freakin&#39; forget it&#33; Everytime a pitcher goes at a guys head. Every time a guy skies and dunks on an opposing player only to show him up afterwards. Chump ball.

Let&#39;s not get carried away. He&#39;s gonna pay. Nobody&#39;s interested in what you think he "should" get.

Originally posted by sneakizm@Mar 10 2004, 01:19 AM
    i cant see how that is too much fighting, and btw the instigator rule has effectively lessened the amount of fights

The instigator rule is a load of crap. Back in the days before it, teams had a player (and still do) who was considered the enforcer. Donald Brashear for example. His responsiblity was to protect the star players through fear. Basically, if anyone on your team decides to keep beating up on our superstar scorer ho isn&#39;t usually very big nor a great figter, you will have to deal with the wrath of Donald Brashear. Now because the instigator rule has taken effect, it takes away the effects of having an enforcer on your team to an extent. So now teams are basically sending out scrubs to go smack the star scorers into the boards all the time and basically search them out to hit them, even if it is unnecessary to do so (ala away from the puck).

Now with the instigator rule, the Donald Brashears of the league are put in a position of "well, should I bother getting myself kicked out of a game to go and fight someone who has no real significance on the game other than to smack around my best scorer??

IMO, the instigator rule has taken the authority away from the enforcers and put the star players at more risk.

Fartuzzi shown his true colors on Monday night.And Colin Cambell
    is ****ting in his pants right now.Just because he gave Marty a year
    for what he did on Brasher few years back.The NHL did say that they
    are not taking any s**t at the end of blown out hockey games.Under
    5 min left in play.Bertuzzi is big enough that he could of skated in front
    off him drop the gloves and drove him into next week.But to skate 3/4
    of the ice behind Moore and do what he did was poor play.So what if he
    deserved something for what he did on Naslund but that no way in hell.
    Then I heard Tie Dummie say,People just dont understand what we have
    to face out there.Sometime you black out and do things like that.Just like
    Dummie one GOON to the next.So I hope I dont hear Bertuzzi passes the puck to Naslund for a long time to come.With my luck it will be a strike
    next year anyway.So you might see Fartuzzi gone for a year.So the NHL
    can save face.

Originally posted by RoadWarrior@Mar 10 2004, 01:53 PM
    Fartuzzi shown his true colors on Monday night.And Colin Cambell
    is ****ting in his pants right now.Just because he gave Marty a year
    for what he did on Brasher few years back.The NHL did say that they
    are not taking any s**t at the end of blown out hockey games.Under
    5 min left in play.Bertuzzi is big enough that he could of skated in front
    off him drop the gloves and drove him into next week.But to skate 3/4
    of the ice behind Moore and do what he did was poor play.So what if he
    deserved something for what he did on Naslund but that no way in hell.
    Then I heard Tie Dummie say,People just dont understand what we have
    to face out there.Sometime you black out and do things like that.Just like
    Dummie one GOON to the next.So I hope I dont hear Bertuzzi passes the puck to Naslund for a long time to come.With my luck it will be a strike
    next year anyway.So you might see Fartuzzi gone for a year.So the NHL
    can save face.
    Here&#39;s our dose of daily drivel everyone. Courtesy of RW. Dude, you might wanna lay off the "power" lunches.

Originally posted by JETWEINA@Mar 10 2004, 01:26 PM
    Lifetime ban is a little excessive. 25-30 games should do it. its the nature of the sport. im sure he wasn&#39;t trying to break the guy&#39;s neck. ESPN NHL anlyist Darren Pang agreed that this was not the worst he has seen and that he should be suspended the remainder of this year including playoffs.
    I disagree. He most definitely WAS trying (and suceeded) to seriously hurt the guy. He may not have been trying to wreck his career, but he might have done that also.

Lifetime ban. It was a blowout game. A real man would have skated in front and fought him manno on manno. TB took the chicken way out of it.

Ban the bum. :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'>

I can&#39;t watch the replays of the hit anymore. Very cowardly and Bertuzzi should be suspended throughout the playoffs. Thankfully, it appears that Moore will make a full recovery.

Bertuzzi is a great player and the Canucks will not...CANNOT....win without him. He obviously wasn&#39;t thinking of his teammates. Dummy.

Originally posted by Gang Green Girl@Mar 10 2004, 02:43 PM
    I can&#39;t watch the replays of the hit anymore. Very cowardly and Bertuzzi should be suspended throughout the playoffs. Thankfully, it appears that Moore will make a full recovery.

Bertuzzi is a great player and the Canucks will not...CANNOT....win without him. He obviously wasn&#39;t thinking of his teammates. Dummy.
    Thinking of his teammates???

He should be forced to think of his teammates every day during his lifetime ban...Who cares how good he is....If you don&#39;t ban him...someone is going to die on the ice.

When that happens everybody is going to say"well if they just banned bertuzzzi,this stuff wouldn&#39;t happen anymore"

How will you feel when you watch a man die on the ice...for a game?