Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pudge to learn a new position.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ivan Rodriguez told the tigers today he wants to lear how to play 3rd base.

I guess he figuers he can add a couple years to his career

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We know he definitely has the arm for it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    mbn...i didn't even think about his arm..

Ken Cam had a rocket at 3rd too.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You just fooling around or are you serious?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Mar 12 2004, 05:05 PM
    100% serious.

I watched the Yanks/tigers game yesterday...they said it on the air.

Gotta love Tivo

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Smizzy+Mar 12 2004, 06:07 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Smizzy @ Mar 12 2004, 06:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--The Gun Of Bavaria@Mar 12 2004, 05:05 PM
    100% serious.

I watched the Yanks/tigers game yesterday...they said it on the air.

Gotta love Tivo [/b][/quote]
    I forgot to set my TiVo. We need Pudge behind the plate developing this nightmarish rotation right now, not at 3rd. Although I&#39;m not opposed to the move down the road, we need him at catcher for now. BEsides, Eric Munson showed some signs of life last year before he got hurt.

I&#39;m sure Brandon "I can&#39;t hit the broad side of a barn" Inge wants him to go to 3rd in a hurry.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look at like this gun

Pudge can&#39;t catch 162 games....the days he don&#39;t ctach do you want to lose his bat?

If he DH&#39;s you lose Young&#39;s bat.

so instead of sitting young he figures he will play 3rd.

good move if you ask me plus it will prolong his career if he can pick it up.

Don&#39;t forget his cannon...plus 3rd base is all about footwork...just like catcher.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Smizzy@Mar 12 2004, 06:52 PM
    Look at like this gun

Pudge can&#39;t catch 162 games....the days he don&#39;t ctach do you want to lose his bat?

If he DH&#39;s you lose Young&#39;s bat.

so instead of sitting young he figures he will play 3rd.

good move if you ask me plus it will prolong his career if he can pick it up.

Don&#39;t forget his cannon...plus 3rd base is all about footwork...just like catcher.
    You make some valid points Smizzy.

It would allow Inge to get some PT behind the plate and keep his bat in the lineup. Only concern is last year Munson&#39;s bat started coming around........ok my at least Tigers standards. Iti will be interesting to see what happens.

You do make some valid points though.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eligible at Catcher AND 3rd Base...the two hardest positions to fill&#33;?&#33;

A fantasy baseball hero&#33;

BTW- Young can also play 1st and OF.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anything to keep Brandon Inge from playing anywhere, and thus having his bat in the lineup. I don&#39;t think Inge has ever batted much more above the Mendoza line in his career. he&#39;s a great defensive catcher, but one of the worst hitters in a tiger uniform I&#39;ve seen in a long time. (And that&#39;s saying ALOT) Inge can make all the excuses he wants about him being able to play but the fact of the matter is, he&#39;s had about 3 years to prove himself and he hasn&#39;t. Time to move on.

I wouldn&#39;t mind Pudge moving to 3rd base. He has a rocket arm, which is perfect for hte position, and like somebody else said earlier, He basically plays like an infielder behind the plate. The only downside of this would be that Eric Munson will probably get benched, which I disagree with b/c i think he&#39;s going to have a breakout year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mavrik;

Munson is on the doorstep of becoming a player. He seems to have the tools, and he hit well in the minors, based on the stats I noticed over the last few seasons. (I&#39;m a Yankee fan, but followed him because of the name, as you can well understand.) Does he play any other position, such as RF?

Inge hasn&#39;t hit at all. Wonder if he ever will. He may be one of those career backups, good defensively, but never hits enough to play regularly.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mbn007@Mar 15 2004, 09:16 AM
    Mavrik;

Munson is on the doorstep of becoming a player. He seems to have the tools, and he hit well in the minors, based on the stats I noticed over the last few seasons. (I&#39;m a Yankee fan, but followed him because of the name, as you can well understand.) Does he play any other position, such as RF?

Inge hasn&#39;t hit at all. Wonder if he ever will. He may be one of those career backups, good defensively, but never hits enough to play regularly.
    The only other positions he plays are first base and catcher. Pena&#39;s got 1st locked up, and the Tigers have tried to distance Munson from playing catcher. Although I could forsee him and Pudge switching off positions eveyr now and then. Munson was tied for the rookie HR mark i think with Teixeira last year before he got injured. I think he&#39;s going to be huge for us this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mavrik@Mar 15 2004, 12:54 PM
    Pena&#39;s got 1st locked up
    Pena has NOTHING locked up bro.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria+Mar 15 2004, 12:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Gun Of Bavaria @ Mar 15 2004, 12:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Mavrik@Mar 15 2004, 12:54 PM
    Pena has NOTHING locked up bro. [/b][/quote]
    Pena came up a couple of seasons ago with all the potential in the world. I don&#39;t believe he&#39;s lost it all at this early stage of his career. He should be given the opportunity to play the entire season, every day. Then, make an off-season decision.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mbn007+Mar 15 2004, 01:50 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mbn007 @ Mar 15 2004, 01:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -The Gun Of Bavaria@Mar 15 2004, 12:10 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--Mavrik
    @Mar 15 2004, 12:54 PM

Pena has NOTHING locked up bro.
    Pena came up a couple of seasons ago with all the potential in the world. I don&#39;t believe he&#39;s lost it all at this early stage of his career. He should be given the opportunity to play the entire season, every day. Then, make an off-season decision. [/b][/quote]
    That&#39;s the thing. This is his year. Last year he was surrounded by garbage so he gets a pass. But this year he has some decent players around him. He&#39;s been called and &#39;up and comer&#39; for a while, it&#39;s time for him to prove it and this is the year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guns;

That&#39;s my point. This year the Tigers added the bats of R. White and Pudge, as well as the continued development of the other young guys like Munson, et al. The product is much improved, so Pena has a chance to be protected. If he can&#39;t do it in 2004, Tigers should go in a different direction in 2005.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I already see a different tigers team...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mbn007@Mar 15 2004, 06:11 PM
    Guns;

That&#39;s my point. This year the Tigers added the bats of R. White and Pudge, as well as the continued development of the other young guys like Munson, et al. The product is much improved, so Pena has a chance to be protected. If he can&#39;t do it in 2004, Tigers should go in a different direction in 2005.
    You make a valid point.

I&#39;d love nothing more than to see Munson and Pena have a great year this season.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria+Mar 16 2004, 12:20 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Gun Of Bavaria @ Mar 16 2004, 12:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--mbn007@Mar 15 2004, 06:11 PM
    Guns;

You make a valid point.

I&#39;d love nothing more than to see Munson and Pena have a great year this season. [/b][/quote]
    A couple of years ago, one of the sports mags had Pena and Nick Johnson on the cover, as the newest "future" stars in Baseball. Johnson has been OK, but has had injury setbacks. Pena has really not shown much yet.

This has to be the year, otherwise, it&#39;s time to go in a new direction.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guns;

Interesting game you guys had vs. the Mets yesterday. You win 9-1. Pitching was fine. Yet, all your runs were unearned. All 9. :blink: