Thread: Iverson refuses to play

Undrafted Free Agent
    Can you believe that this selfish S.O.B. refused to play because he didnt want to come off the bench. What kind of team player is that? If I was on his team I would give him a rash of crap. I wouldnt want him on my team. He has won nothing since he came into the NBA so what makes him think he deserves to start every game he plays? Nothing but a selfish punk....

here is the article from ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1759535

I know Philly is battling for a playoff spot, but I would suspend the bum for 10 games and fine him the max that the league allows. He's gotten away with this prima donna status too long. Time to really crack down on him.

This is not about coming off the bench....

Chris Ford told AI that he didn&#39;t think AI had the "conditioning" to start the game <_<

I believe the sixers made the decision to get rid of Iverson but they did it too late and could not get fair market value for him...ford knows this and is going to make AI look like bad every chance he gets...

He will be traded.

Im not even an AI fan...i think he&#39;s selfish..BUT

how does ford tell AI thats he&#39;s not fit enough to start?

A guy who has sarted every game for the last 8 years....

1st team NBA regular...

3 time scoring champ

Olympic player...

MVP....

Steals leader and the toughest SOB ive ever seen on the court...the guy is a soldier...and now he&#39;s not fit to start. <_<

If he is being diciplined...fine say so...don&#39;t p***y foot around the truth.

The word coming out of Philly is that in the days before the game, AI was unable, or did not, run up and down the court to show that he&#39;s OK. Ford told him that based on this, he did not believe his conditioning was up to par to start and play starter&#39;s minutes. AI had a cowl, and showed up in that Jabbar retro Mil. jersy.

Undrafted Free Agent
    It doesnt matter what credentials AI has or thinks he has, its what you can do for the team that matters. The team shopuld always come first. If Ford thought AI was better suited to come off the bench that day, AI shouldve sucked it up and did what he was told so the team would come out on top.

Hall Of Fame
    The guy ridicules the need to practice, has thrown up a few 3 for 22 games lately, and then throws a Pippen-esque hissy when he&#39;s told he&#39;s not starting. The guy is clearly an egomaniac.

Yeah - he&#39;s a great player. So what? His team made it to the Finals once in his 8 years and that team had some very good players on it. I wouldn&#39;t want him on my team. He can&#39;t shoot. He&#39;ll score if he gets 30 shots a game and gets to the line often. He&#39;s a great scorer and defender...he&#39;s just a horrible shooter and a ballhog and obviously is a horrible team-mate. That said, he&#39;s exciting to watch, but I wouldn&#39;t want him on my team.

If he didn&#39;t have a killer cross-over he&#39;d most likely still be sitting in a Virginia prison....lucky bastard.

Originally posted by jets5ever@Mar 16 2004, 12:58 PM
    The guy ridicules the need to practice, has thrown up a few 3 for 22 games lately, and then throws a Pippen-esque hissy when he&#39;s told he&#39;s not starting. The guy is clearly an egomaniac.

Yeah - he&#39;s a great player. So what? His team made it to the Finals once in his 8 years and that team had some very good players on it. I wouldn&#39;t want him on my team. He can&#39;t shoot. He&#39;ll score if he gets 30 shots a game and gets to the line often. He&#39;s a great scorer and defender...he&#39;s just a horrible shooter and a ballhog and obviously is a horrible team-mate. That said, he&#39;s exciting to watch, but I wouldn&#39;t want him on my team.

If he didn&#39;t have a killer cross-over he&#39;d most likely still be sitting in a Virginia prison....lucky bastard.
    He&#39;s got quick hands, steals the ball as well as anyone in the NBA, has a fantastic cross over dribble, and gets to the line a lot for the time he&#39;s playing. But he can&#39;t shoot anywhere near consistent, ignores or freezes out teammates, and can be posted up with impunity. Also has the worst attitude in the NBA, bar no one.

Nope, not for my team either.

Originally posted by Jettiel@Mar 16 2004, 12:27 PM
    It doesnt matter what credentials AI has or thinks he has, its what you can do for the team that matters. The team shopuld always come first. If Ford thought AI was better suited to come off the bench that day, AI shouldve sucked it up and did what he was told so the team would come out on top.
    This wasn&#39;t about the team...this was about Ford&#33;

Whats best for the team?&#33;?

Ummmm, i think putting the guy who has started for the last 8 years on the bench is worse for the team.

Kobe hurt his shoulder......missed games,sat out and the minute he said he could play he was back in the starting lineup....why...because it was better for the team.

I wouldn&#39;t want him on my team. He can&#39;t shoot. He&#39;ll score if he gets 30 shots a game and gets to the line often. He&#39;s a great scorer and defender...he&#39;s just a horrible shooter and a ballhog and obviously is a horrible team-mate. That said, he&#39;s exciting to watch, but I wouldn&#39;t want him on my team.

I wouldn&#39;t want AI on my team neither....i agree with you 100%.

but this is about chris ford....AI is just making it worse.

I think Chris Ford was set up to take a stand against Iverson. Philly is greasing the skids to get him out of town after the season. Don&#39;t know who would pay fair value for him, after all the stuff he&#39;s pulled this season.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Originally posted by Smizzy@Mar 16 2004, 06:10 PM
    This wasn&#39;t about the team...this was about Ford&#33;

Whats best for the team?&#33;?

Ummmm, i think putting the guy who has started for the last 8 years on the bench is worse for the team.

Kobe hurt his shoulder......missed games,sat out and the minute he said he could play he was back in the starting lineup....why...because it was better for the team.

Regardless of how big an ass Ford has been its not AI&#39;s place to decide who should start and who should come off the bench. Dont you think every NBA player feels he should be a starter every night? Ford was wrong in his decesion to make AO a bench player but thats up to his boss to punish him. Ford is Iverson boss and he should have done what he was asked to.
    The TEAM comes first always...

How many of us could go into thier jobs and say if I am not the main man on this project then I will just watch the company fail?

Iverson has been aroung for 7 plus seasons, and it&#39; always been a "me-first" show there. Any decent scorer was unhappy playing with him. He&#39;s a wonderful player, but too self centered to be a winner.