Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sorry my fellow jet fans, but now its redsoxNation

hello ganggreen... well its now baseball season.. and i tucked all my green jereseys away for now.. and i gotta take out my redsox gear... i absolutly hate the yankees... lol.. so it will be fun talkin about this season....

Banned
    I hate the Yankees too, but the Sawx are going nowhere fast. When the Cubbies win the World Series this year, Sox fans will have a new reason to say Grady Bleepin' Little.

Hall Of Fame
    Finally some backup! Here was me thinking I was the only cursed Jets and Sox fan on this board. Make sure you have the Red Sox jersey in kevlar as it can get pretty scary around here during baseball season!

Enjoy 2nd place again, unless the Blue Jays beat you guys out. Pedro will be dissed that he can't get a contract extension, and will pull his disappearing act somewhere around July-August timeframe. And Nomar will finally have enough and leave, and Manny will finally realize that he was put on waivers (irrevocable!&#33 this past off-season, and he also will sulk this year.

Yep, the joys will ring in Beantown.................NOT!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by mbn007@Mar 16 2004, 09:10 AM

Yep, the joys will ring in Beantown.................NOT!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    :lol: Good one MBN

Maxman
    The Red Sox have a good team. If they make a strong move on the Yankees I suggest they wait until September to do it.

Otherwise Randy Johnson will be mowing down the Sox when he is pitching for the Yankees.

BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by Maxman@Mar 16 2004, 10:59 AM
    The Red Sox have a good team. If they make a strong move on the Yankees I suggest they wait until September to do it.

Otherwise Randy Johnson will be mowing down the Sox when he is pitching for the Yankees.

BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Touche' :lol:

sox got some key pithcing this year.. that will help out.. like not leaving in pedro in to long cuz we now have folke...so i like the same thing in game 7 up by the 5 runs.. and putting in foulke to close out the ova paid ova raid evil empire....

and for grady little and the cubs.. take todd walker aka chuck knoblock... and baahhhh off.. u and the goat...

grady was a good coach.. .but we shouldnt have gotten that far cuz the sox should of kept jimmy williams..

Banned
    What the hell makes you think Curt Schilling is going to stay healthy? Or Pedro for that matter? Don't be so cocky, things could fall apart real quick.

Originally posted by PenningtonBear@Mar 17 2004, 03:19 AM
    sox got some key pithcing this year.. that will help out.. like not leaving in pedro in to long cuz we now have folke...so i like the same thing in game 7 up by the 5 runs.. and putting in foulke to close out the ova paid ova raid evil empire....

and for grady little and the cubs.. take todd walker aka chuck knoblock... and baahhhh off.. u and the goat...

grady was a good coach.. .but we shouldnt have gotten that far cuz the sox should of kept jimmy williams..
    Let's see how Foulke pitches without the guru, Rick Peterson, as his pitching coach. How did Billy Koch do after he left Peterson? Not to good. So, we shall see about Foulke.

Also, Pedro and Schilling are fab pitchers, but their health is as much a question mark as Kevin Brown. And let's sse all those hitters repeat the career yaers they had last season.

Maxman
    Originally posted by PenningtonBear@Mar 17 2004, 03:19 AM

What do you think of Francona? I like the roster that the Sox have but a few things would concern me if I were a Sox fan:

1. Last year they seemed to get the most out of their roster and they still fell short.

2. Terry Francona has a career .452 winning percentage. Is he the answer or did the sell their soul in order to get Schilling?

Banned
    GO METS!!!!!!!!!& #33;!!

Max - Good Points.

My rebuttal.

1) For all the offense the Sox had, it was a terrible bullpen that doomed them. Pedro had 4-5 leads lost by the bullpen. In theory Foulke should reverse this. He has done it before, just not Boston. Does he have Weaveritis and can not perform under the lights? We will see. While the Sox did get alot from their everyday players, only Mueller had significant increases in his career stats and most came back to their normal production by years end. The question is collectively can they produce on that level again? I doubt it, but they still should be good.

2) I had the same question about Francona, but you need to look at the rosters he had in Philly. You will recognize 3-5 players and they were not Schilling caliber players. With that, if Grady can squeeze 96 wins out of the Sox and Francona has a better bullpen, the Sox should be able to equal 96 wins and probably hit 100.

The question is were do the Yanks finsih? If healthy (i.e. starting rotation), they could easily eclipse 100 wins. However, I think they will have some health issues to keep it interesting.

Originally posted by PFSIKH@Mar 17 2004, 05:32 PM
    Max - Good Points.

My rebuttal.

1) For all the offense the Sox had, it was a terrible bullpen that doomed them. Pedro had 4-5 leads lost by the bullpen. In theory Foulke should reverse this. He has done it before, just not Boston. Does he have Weaveritis and can not perform under the lights? We will see. While the Sox did get alot from their everyday players, only Mueller had significant increases in his career stats and most came back to their normal production by years end. The question is collectively can they produce on that level again? I doubt it, but they still should be good.

2) I had the same question about Francona, but you need to look at the rosters he had in Philly. You will recognize 3-5 players and they were not Schilling caliber players. With that, if Grady can squeeze 96 wins out of the Sox and Francona has a better bullpen, the Sox should be able to equal 96 wins and probably hit 100.

The question is were do the Yanks finsih? If healthy (i.e. starting rotation), they could easily eclipse 100 wins. However, I think they will have some health issues to keep it interesting.
    The problem with your theory that Francona should do better than Little because of the bullpen is that you are discounting the improvements that Toronto ans Baltimore made this off-season. Even the Yankees substancially improved their pen, and firepower (with A-Rod and Sheffield). Add in a return to normal for Bernie and Giambi, and Matsui with a year under his belt, and any Sox improvemnet is easily negated.

I really see the Yanks slugging their way to 100+ wins, and if the starters remain relatively healthy, possibly 110-112 wins. Toronto should improve to around 85, and the Birds should approach 80. Forget the Rays, they may not top 65. This means that the BoSox may end up with 90-95, at most.

Ok so the Sox will be effected by an improved AL East but not the Yanks? Ok Opie.

Out of all the teams, the Sox question marks are not as glaring.

If Foulke sucks, the bullpen will be as good as it was last year (bad) which was still good for 95 wins. Plus, you have Schilling, who looked good throwing 6 innings yesterday, that improves starting pitching. What the Sox lost in Mueller's bat they make up with Reese's defense not to mention the added dimension of speed.

I am not discounting the other teams, but the fact is the Sox and Yanks are alot better. The Oriloes and Jays have some nice players, but their starting pitching (with the exception of Halladay) are not exactly on par with the Sox and Yanks.

The Sox have the earmarks of a 100+ win team. If Foulke has no drop off and Schilling can avoid groundballs to his hand, the Sox will give the Yankees a run for the division and win it. Counting on a roid-less Giambi and Sheffield is asking alot.

Maxman
    PF:
    Giambi had the worst year of his career last year. Sure he hit the bombs but because of his injury he struck out more and his average was terrible. I will gladly settle for a 35 HR Giambi who has a good OBP again. If Sheffields stats go down 20% from what he did last season the Yankees are still in good shape.

I really think the key to the AL East is Kevin Brown. If he struggles or is injured the Yankees can be had. For the Yankees Contrereas and Vasquez are real important as well.

Originally posted by PFSIKH@Mar 18 2004, 01:11 PM
    Ok so the Sox will be effected by an improved AL East but not the Yanks? Ok Opie.

Out of all the teams, the Sox question marks are not as glaring.

If Foulke sucks, the bullpen will be as good as it was last year (bad) which was still good for 95 wins. Plus, you have Schilling, who looked good throwing 6 innings yesterday, that improves starting pitching. What the Sox lost in Mueller's bat they make up with Reese's defense not to mention the added dimension of speed.

I am not discounting the other teams, but the fact is the Sox and Yanks are alot better. The Oriloes and Jays have some nice players, but their starting pitching (with the exception of Halladay) are not exactly on par with the Sox and Yanks.

The Sox have the earmarks of a 100+ win team. If Foulke has no drop off and Schilling can avoid groundballs to his hand, the Sox will give the Yankees a run for the division and win it. Counting on a roid-less Giambi and Sheffield is asking alot.
    No man. You read me all wrong.

Bernie and Giambi had statistically their worst seasons in a long time. Matsui was feeling his way around in a new league where ther is a pitch called a cutter and split (i.e., spitball ). And the pen was worse then horrible gettingto Mariano. All this will be greatly imperpved for 2004, and the overall hitting will be better with Sheff, and A-Rod replacing Soriano.

BoSox had excellent hitting as a team last season. Many guys had seasons above their norm. Will they copy this? Mueller, Ortiz, Millar, et al. There isn't much room for improvement, if any.

SO I can see the yanks equaling last season, in spite of the improvements in the division. I can also see the BoSox falling short (90-95 wins is still right there with last season though) since they may not get the fab seasons from all those sluggers.

One guy who probably will put up better numbers is Nomar, as he will prove that he is worth the $$$$$$, and the Sox will have an interesting choice at year's end.

All Pro
    Paul Quantrill and Tom Gordon is your answer to improved middle relief?

Maxman
    Originally posted by Thor99@Mar 25 2004, 04:02 AM
    Yes.

Originally posted by Thor99@Mar 25 2004, 04:02 AM
    Maxman didn't properly answer you.

Big Time YES!!!