Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT: TIVO

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Big Al NYC[/i]@Mar 17 2004, 02:01 PM
    [b] What exactly does hacking a Tivo do? [/b][/quote]
    they say you can pop open a tivo and add a hard drive which can expand your memory time to upwards of 100 hours, that same hard drive can then be removed and linked to your pc and you can then burn the program to a DVD, there is a book on amazon which is called 101 tricks for your Tivo or something like that

Maxman
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+Mar 17 2004, 01:47 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mean Bro Green @ Mar 17 2004, 01:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -Maxman@Mar 17 2004, 01:24 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--Big Al NYC[/i]@Mar 17 2004, 01:02 PM
    [b] I have Time Warner cable in NYC, they gave us a new cablebox which comes with an 80 gig harddrive, acts just like a Tivo, did not involve any sort of setup or anything. It&#39;s easy as pie.

I&#39;d check w/ your cable provider to see if they have anything similar. [/b][/quote]
    Comcast has something similar for &#036;9 per month. But it is a 30 gig drive. And since you don&#39;t own the box you can&#39;t hack it. I realize the hacking may not be important to most people but it is big on my list. [/b][/quote]
    can the replay Tv box be hacked like Tivo, removable harddrive, etc??? [/b][/quote]
    I would assume so but I don&#39;t know that much about Replay. There are probably millions of sites about it though. I know there are tons for TIVO. TIVO runs on Linux so people write programs for it all the time.

Maxman
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Big Al NYC[/i]@Mar 17 2004, 02:01 PM
    So far I have done the following to my TIVO:

-Put in another hard drive which gives me more recording time.
    -Put in an ethernet connection.
    -Installed a telnet program on it which allows me to copy programs to it from my computer.
    -Installed a program that allows my caller id (phone) to pop up on my tv everytime the phone rings.

There are tons of programs that you can install though. I am not a programmer but luckily everyone else in the world seems to be one. So I simply take their freeware&#33;

Maxman
    [quote][i]Originally posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER[/i]@Mar 17 2004, 02:33 PM
    [b] Cable box. Can&#39;t do it with a cable box. [/b][/quote]
    I have cable and I can TIVO and watch TV at the same time. I split the connection...one to the VCR then to the TIVO and the second to the TV. TIVO always pops up...need to change to channel 4 at 8pm. At that time I let it change and I switch over to Video 2. TIVO records on Video 1.

I just got Digital Cable but have not hooked my TIVO up to it. I got a plasma tv and I am afraid of my kids pausing tivo and having burn in on my screen. So I have to move my TIVO. The TV I am moving it to also has a Digital Cable Box.

There has to be a way to do it even with digital cable, I can&#39;t see why it wouldn&#39;t work. If you want after I set it up again I can let you know how I made out. Shouldn&#39;t be too difficult.

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Maxman+Mar 17 2004, 02:39 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Maxman @ Mar 17 2004, 02:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Big Al NYC[/i]@Mar 17 2004, 02:01 PM
    So far I have done the following to my TIVO:

-Put in another hard drive which gives me more recording time.
    -Put in an ethernet connection.
    -Installed a telnet program on it which allows me to copy programs to it from my computer.
    -Installed a program that allows my caller id (phone) to pop up on my tv everytime the phone rings.

There are tons of programs that you can install though. I am not a programmer but luckily everyone else in the world seems to be one. So I simply take their freeware&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Gotta love the called ID option.....no need to EVER get out of your "lazy chair"&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

All League
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk[/i]@Mar 17 2004, 02:08 AM
    [b] I was thinking about getting a TIVO for my wife [/b][/quote]
    Are you sure you can get someone to make that trade?

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™+Mar 17 2004, 02:52 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Bob the Jets Fan™ @ Mar 17 2004, 02:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--huskeralk[/i]@Mar 17 2004, 02:08 AM
    [b] I was thinking about getting a TIVO for my wife [/b][/quote]
    Are you sure you can get someone to make that trade? [/b][/quote]
    First time I laughed out loud all day&#33; :lol:

Bitter
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green[/i]@Mar 17 2004, 12:47 PM
    [b] can the replay Tv box be hacked like Tivo, removable harddrive, etc??? [/b][/quote]
    Did I hear somebody say hacked? :lol:

Bitter
    [quote][i]Originally posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER[/i]@Mar 17 2004, 01:30 PM
    [b] Yeah, sure....TIVO for your wife. Very clever Husk. What did you buy her last year, a Keg-o-lator?

[/b][/quote]
    No, actually it really would be for my wife. The internet is pretty much my TV unless it&#39;s football season. There&#39;s not a single show I watch religiously on TV.

I am asking for this for my birthday from the wife and she said she will buy it. Does anyone know if its expensive or if its even worth the price? Also, do you have to pay a monthly fee? ANd what brand should I get? Is the Directtv one any good?......thanks in advance.

Hall Of Fame
    depends on what you want to do

let me start by saying that tivo/replaytv is teh best invention of the past 20 years technology wise

if you have satelite then you may want to get the dircttv one, if not get a standalone, if you want to get freaky get the HDTV one for about 500 otherwise even if you have an HD TV it will record in standard format, also be concerned about Hard Drive size, the 40 hour tivo is really about a 20 tivo if recorded in high quality which is pretty much what you will want to do, if you get a stand alone you can upgrade the hard drive yourself

but whatever you do, YOU MUST GET ONE you will not regret it

also the fee is about 13 a month and DO NOT pay the one time fee of 250 it is a ripoff, because it is for the life of that box so if the box breaks in 6 months you will not get your money back or be able to transfer that to another box

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    See the following thread. Topic has been discussed.

BTW: I have TIVO and it&#39;s awesome.

[url=http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19100&hl=]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/index.ph...topic=19100&hl=[/url]

If you already have DirecTV, you can get the TIVO box for around &#036;100, and they will install it free. Plus they will divide the cost into monthly payments. It is a must have. Like Mean Bro said, it is the best invention technology wise in the last 20 years, and if you are a sports junkie you have no choice but to get one. I don&#39;t know how else to describe it other than amazing. It has changed the way I watch TV.

comcast has started to rollout DVR in my area - im wondering if anyone has it/tried it and if it is comparable to TIVO?

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Dec 30 2004, 12:27 PM
    [b] comcast has started to rollout DVR in my area - im wondering if anyone has it/tried it and if it is comparable to TIVO? [/b][/quote]
    bastids, i have adelphia and ordered the HD combo boxes which get 15-20 HD channels and will be adding more and teh DVR 80 hours and then when we scheduled the installation and everything the dickhead realised it wasn&#39;t ready in my area, I was so pissed

but anyway they are supposed to be 80 hour boxes with all of teh features of Tivo (search and everything) but at about 3 dollars a month and no fee for the hardware, sounds pretty good to me, I would have had a DVR in every room

bump.

I am thinking of getting HDTV DirectTV since wifey bought me a 46" DLP HDTV. Sweet sweet

LL

Well, right now i&#39;m getting Directtv, but after this season i&#39;m going to cancel it cause I will be moving and living in a area that will have bars with all the Jets game so there will be no need for Directv anymore. So, should I still buy the DIrectv one, or will it be of no use once I get rid of the service?

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Vinny025[/i]@Dec 30 2004, 12:35 PM
    [b] Well, right now i&#39;m getting Directtv, but after this season i&#39;m going to cancel it cause I will be moving and living in a area that will have bars with all the Jets game so there will be no need for Directv anymore. So, should I still buy the DIrectv one, or will it be of no use once I get rid of the service? [/b][/quote]
    they are linked the tivo wont work if you are not paying for directtv service, so in that case you should get a standalone unit taht you can bring with you when you move, aside from taht the NFL package may be available on cable next year, so do not invest in direct tv if you can help it

[quote][i]Originally posted by Vinny025[/i]@Dec 30 2004, 12:35 PM
    [b] Well, right now i&#39;m getting Directtv, but after this season i&#39;m going to cancel it cause I will be moving and living in a area that will have bars with all the Jets game so there will be no need for Directv anymore. So, should I still buy the DIrectv one, or will it be of no use once I get rid of the service? [/b][/quote]
    if you buy the direct tv one and then not use the service, your tivo wont work.

LL

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Alk+Mar 17 2004, 06:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Alk @ Mar 17 2004, 06:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-THE_SOOTHSAYER[/i]@Mar 17 2004, 01:30 PM
    [b] Yeah, sure....TIVO for your wife. Very clever Husk. What did you buy her last year, a Keg-o-lator?

[/b][/quote]
    No, actually it really would be for my wife. The internet is pretty much my TV unless it&#39;s football season. There&#39;s not a single show I watch religiously on TV. [/b][/quote]
    what a difference nine months makes... weren&#39;t you just nervous that you might have missed the latest episode of LOST, but knew that your TIVO would catch it...;) :lol: still hooked on desperate houswives too?