Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT: TIVO

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Vinny025[/i]@Dec 30 2004, 12:35 PM
    [b] Well, right now i'm getting Directtv, but after this season i'm going to cancel it cause I will be moving and living in a area that will have bars with all the Jets game so there will be no need for Directv anymore. So, should I still buy the DIrectv one, or will it be of no use once I get rid of the service? [/b][/quote]
    Tivo through directv is much cheaper than the stand alone unit (5.99 vs 12.95), but it is series 1 Tivo and doesn't have all the features that series 2 has. If you are just looking to record tv shows, save the cash and get the direct tv unit. While I miss a couple of the features since switching, the money saved is worth it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    A land-based phone line is REQUIRED for the activation and full functionality of the DIRECTV® DVR with TiVo® service. The phone line is required for only a few minutes each day for DVR service downloads (normally performed after midnight).

Thats what I got from the directtv site. I dont have a land based phone line so what should I do? Do you need a land based phone line for all of the tivo models?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Vinny025[/i]@Dec 30 2004, 12:44 PM
    [b] A land-based phone line is REQUIRED for the activation and full functionality of the DIRECTV® DVR with TiVo® service. The phone line is required for only a few minutes each day for DVR service downloads (normally performed after midnight).

Thats what I got from the directtv site. I dont have a land based phone line so what should I do? Do you need a land based phone line for all of the tivo models? [/b][/quote]
    what does land based mean??

i have replay and used a wireless jack to do teh updates but it never worked so i had to get a 50 foot phone cord and pull it out once a week to plug it in to get the updates, i think taht is the only way you can update the guide and such

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by latinlawyer[/i]@Dec 30 2004, 12:34 PM
    [b] bump.

I am thinking of getting HDTV DirectTV since wifey bought me a 46" DLP HDTV. Sweet sweet

LL [/b][/quote]
    i just recently got a 50" DLP and recessed it into the wall alonng with shelfs for my components...it looks awesome and teh pic is amazing, luckily the back side of that wall was my garage so i could afford to lose three feet of the garage for the recessed shelves

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER[/i]@Mar 17 2004, 01:30 PM
    [b]
    BTW: Got it for my birthday last month and it is awesome. Only thing that sucks is that you can't tape a show while watching another. [/b][/quote]
    i just got off the phone with comcast and they tell me that their DVR can do that - "dual tuner" is what they said -

ill let you guys know how it works out - they are installing it tomorrow -

now all i need is the NFL to allow cable to sell Direct Ticket and i will be in hog heaven :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti+Dec 30 2004, 12:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (bitonti @ Dec 30 2004, 12:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-THE_SOOTHSAYER[/i]@Mar 17 2004, 01:30 PM
    [b]
    BTW: Got it for my birthday last month and it is awesome. Only thing that sucks is that you can&#39;t tape a show while watching another. [/b][/quote]
    i just got off the phone with comcast and they tell me that their DVR can do that - "dual tuner" is what they said -

ill let you guys know how it works out - they are installing it tomorrow -

now all i need is the NFL to allow cable to sell Direct Ticket and i will be in hog heaven :D [/b][/quote]
    you can watch a recorded program while taping another but unsure about the 2 tuner thing

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+Dec 30 2004, 12:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mean Bro Green @ Dec 30 2004, 12:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-latinlawyer[/i]@Dec 30 2004, 12:34 PM
    [b] bump.

I am thinking of getting HDTV DirectTV since wifey bought me a 46" DLP HDTV. Sweet sweet

LL [/b][/quote]
    i just recently got a 50" DLP and recessed it into the wall alonng with shelfs for my components...it looks awesome and teh pic is amazing, luckily the back side of that wall was my garage so i could afford to lose three feet of the garage for the recessed shelves [/b][/quote]
    Sweet hookup MBG. I love the picture on my new tv. I am gonna order the DiretTV HD Package (Maybe with HD TIVO) and it will be sweet&#33;

I am waiting for the contractors to finsih the new siding and roof.

LL

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I&#39;ve had Tivo thru DirecTv for about a year or so....it really is the best thing ever invented. you won&#39;t watch TV the same way ever again.

I recommend the DTV w/tivo over the stand alone mainly for the fact you can record 2 shows at the same time and/or, watch one show while recording another.

Also with DTV all the channels are digital and record that way....the signal does not need to be converted from analog first so the quality is better.

It is cheaper also than the stand alones...4.99/month compared to 12.99.

And technically all DTV/Tivo&#39;s are Series 2 not series 1. new software updates come out all the time and its only a matter of time. The only thing the DTV&#39;s don&#39;t have is the Home Media Option, but most believe that its a matter of time before it does. All of the machines sold now have USB ports to be used later, most likely for networking purposes.

You don&#39;t need a phone line to use DTV/tivo, but its helpful to have if you want the software to update, or order pay per view (but u can do that online.)

Check out this site ,

[url=http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=7]Tivo Forum[/url]

its very helpful.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by latinlawyer+Dec 30 2004, 01:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (latinlawyer @ Dec 30 2004, 01:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green@Dec 30 2004, 12:52 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-latinlawyer[/i]@Dec 30 2004, 12:34 PM
    [b] bump.

LL [/b][/quote]
    i just recently got a 50" DLP and recessed it into the wall alonng with shelfs for my components...it looks awesome and teh pic is amazing, luckily the back side of that wall was my garage so i could afford to lose three feet of the garage for the recessed shelves [/b][/quote]
    Sweet hookup MBG. I love the picture on my new tv. I am gonna order the DiretTV HD Package (Maybe with HD TIVO) and it will be sweet&#33;

LL [/b][/quote]
    did you get all monster cables???

all i can say is taht the pic looks awesome with it, have no idea honestly how it would look without them but i got all monsters and the monster surge protecter that filters all the interference and stuff too, it cost 300 but its worth it as well

also have the PS2 connected with monster S video and that also looks ridiculous

i feel like i&#39;m in a theatre when i watch it with my new 1000 watt stereo too, my system is exactly as i wanted since forever, i&#39;m a lucky guy :D , nothing like enjoying a nice movie or sporting event in that atmosphere

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    You need a HDTV to use the HD Directtivo right?

Maxman
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Vinny025[/i]@Dec 30 2004, 12:44 PM
    [b] A land-based phone line is REQUIRED for the activation and full functionality of the DIRECTV® DVR with TiVo® service. The phone line is required for only a few minutes each day for DVR service downloads (normally performed after midnight).

Thats what I got from the directtv site. I dont have a land based phone line so what should I do? Do you need a land based phone line for all of the tivo models? [/b][/quote]
    Vinny:
    I have my TIVO on the home network. The Series 2 TIVO&#39;s don&#39;t have an ethernet connection built in but they do have a USB Port. You probably have a router from all of your Madden gaming.

So you can get a USB Wireless or Regular Ethernet Adapter. TIVO recognizes the Adapter and then uses the web to download all new program content.

Maxman
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Vinny025[/i]@Dec 30 2004, 02:49 PM
    [b] You need a HDTV to use the HD Directtivo right? [/b][/quote]
    Yeah VInny the HD TIVO records content in HD but is much more expensive because of the larger drive and because it has to interpret HD.

If you don&#39;t have a HD TV don&#39;t sweat it. Personally the HD TIVO would be great but I am waiting for the price to come down first.

It does suck watching something in normal mode when you knew it was broadcast in HD though.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+Dec 30 2004, 01:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mean Bro Green @ Dec 30 2004, 01:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by latinlawyer@Dec 30 2004, 01:10 PM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green@Dec 30 2004, 12:52 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-latinlawyer[/i]@Dec 30 2004, 12:34 PM
    [b] bump.

LL [/b][/quote]

LL [/b][/quote]
    did you get all monster cables???

all i can say is taht the pic looks awesome with it, have no idea honestly how it would look without them but i got all monsters and the monster surge protecter that filters all the interference and stuff too, it cost 300 but its worth it as well

also have the PS2 connected with monster S video and that also looks ridiculous

i feel like i&#39;m in a theatre when i watch it with my new 1000 watt stereo too, my system is exactly as i wanted since forever, i&#39;m a lucky guy :D , nothing like enjoying a nice movie or sporting event in that atmosphere [/b][/quote]
    Havent gone to buy any monster cables yet. I have to get the following

1) A Set of Monster Cables (Composite cables green, blue red I think)

2) A Monster surge supressor (voltage regulator/filter)

I can&#39;t play ps 2 on this tv because wifey would flip...instead i keep the ps2 on my sweet tube tv in the game room in the basement with the broadband to shut fools up online&#33;

LL

Vinny, yeah you have to ahve HDTV to get HD Tivo

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I get Directtv version it will be cheaper, but if they arent going to carry the NFL ticket, I will be cancelling it. Does anyone know if DirectTV is carrying the NFL ticket for years to come?

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Vinny025[/i]@Dec 30 2004, 05:21 PM
    [b] If I get Directtv version it will be cheaper, but if they arent going to carry the NFL ticket, I will be cancelling it. Does anyone know if DirectTV is carrying the NFL ticket for years to come? [/b][/quote]
    Yeah, they just signed a monster exclusive contract with the NFL for at least the next 5 years.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    for those that care i just got Comcast HD-DVR installed and what a shock it actually does all the things i want it to do&#33;&#33;&#33;

the key feature has gotta be the duel tuner - i can record something on one channel and watch something on another channel - alternatively i can record 2 shows at the same time (but cannot watch a third). This was key when there were a bunch of bowl games going on.

10 dollars a month, no equipment to buy, no phonelines or internet needed - ya can&#39;t beat that with a bat.

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Jan 3 2005, 10:38 AM
    [b] for those that care i just got Comcast HD-DVR installed and what a shock it actually does all the things i want it to do&#33;&#33;&#33;

the key feature has gotta be the duel tuner - i can record something on one channel and watch something on another channel - alternatively i can record 2 shows at the same time (but cannot watch a third). This was key when there were a bunch of bowl games going on.

10 dollars a month, no equipment to buy, no phonelines or internet needed - ya can&#39;t beat that with a bat. [/b][/quote]
    Only problem. No sunday ticket. B)

Maxman
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Jan 3 2005, 11:38 AM
    [b] for those that care i just got Comcast HD-DVR installed and what a shock it actually does all the things i want it to do&#33;&#33;&#33;

10 dollars a month, no equipment to buy, no phonelines or internet needed - ya can&#39;t beat that with a bat. [/b][/quote]
    Bit:
    This is a HD DVR? I didn&#39;t know they had them and I saw a commercial last night for Comcast saying the same thing.

How big is the drive? Or how many hours of HD content do they tell you that you can get?

I would just sell my hacked tivo on ebay and go with that. I have the series 2 tivo and can&#39;t record in HD right now.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Maxman[/i]@Jan 4 2005, 10:53 AM
    [b] This is a HD DVR? I didn&#39;t know they had them and I saw a commercial last night for Comcast saying the same thing.

How big is the drive? Or how many hours of HD content do they tell you that you can get?

I would just sell my hacked tivo on ebay and go with that. I have the series 2 tivo and can&#39;t record in HD right now. [/b][/quote]
    it says clearly in the manual you can record in HD but i do not have an HDTV so have yet to try that out -

as for disk size, if there is any drawbacks this is it - there are only about 30 hours of space so you have to backoff or delete regularly - the other drawback to the unit is that is while it does have all these crazy outputs, including RCA&#39;s and USB on the unit front face but these ports are "inactive - for future use" at this time - that was sucky - also there is supposed to be picture in picture for the dual tuner but my remote didn&#39;t come with those buttons - probably inactive feature - but it has room to grow which is a good thing - it even looks like there is room to throw another Hard Drive in there but i wouldn&#39;t have the first notion as to how to hack it

as for lack of direct ticket im sorry but im not going to give those crooks money just cause they have a monopoly with NFL - for the same reason i don&#39;t shop at walMart i can&#39;t support that bull**** either... it&#39;s unamerican

Maxman
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti+Jan 4 2005, 12:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (bitonti @ Jan 4 2005, 12:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Maxman[/i]@Jan 4 2005, 10:53 AM
    [b] This is a HD DVR? I didn&#39;t know they had them and I saw a commercial last night for Comcast saying the same thing.

I would just sell my hacked tivo on ebay and go with that. I have the series 2 tivo and can&#39;t record in HD right now. [/b][/quote]
    it says clearly in the manual you can record in HD but i do not have an HDTV so have yet to try that out -

as for disk size, if there is any drawbacks this is it - there are only about 30 hours of space so you have to backoff or delete regularly - the other drawback to the unit is that is while it does have all these crazy outputs, including RCA&#39;s and USB on the unit front face but these ports are "inactive - for future use" at this time - that was sucky - also there is supposed to be picture in picture for the dual tuner but my remote didn&#39;t come with those buttons - probably inactive feature - but it has room to grow which is a good thing - it even looks like there is room to throw another Hard Drive in there but i wouldn&#39;t have the first notion as to how to hack it

as for lack of direct ticket im sorry but im not going to give those crooks money just cause they have a monopoly with NFL - for the same reason i don&#39;t shop at walMart i can&#39;t support that bull**** either... it&#39;s unamerican [/b][/quote]
    Thanks for the info Bit. The original Comcast DVR had a 20 gig drive I believe. That would be entirely too small to record HD content. Also hacking it probably wouldn&#39;t be an option because you don&#39;t own the box.

It sounds promising though. I am not ready to switch yet but maybe someday.

At any rate good luck with it. You will never watch another commercial again&#33;