Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: TIVO

Bitter
    I was thinking about getting a TIVO for my wife but know nothing about them other than what they do. Do you have to subscribe for the service or is it just like a VCR? Also, can they hook up to dish or cable? What should I expect to pay for one of these things?

All Pro
    I've had my TIVO for about 2 years now. It is quite possibly the best money I have ever spent.
    There is a subscription, I think it was $20 a month, or a one time fee of $250.
    TIVO is through DirecTV, but many cable companies are offering some sort of digital recorder now.
    I hope that helps a bit.

[img]http://www.murkworks.net/~james/GetFuzzy/2002/Mar/031102.gif[/img]
    Don't use it as a weapon, I guess...

Bitter
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Thor99[/i]@Mar 17 2004, 01:22 AM
    [b] There is a subscription, I think it was $20 a month, or a one time fee of $250.
    [/b][/quote]
    $20 a month eh? Well sucks to a TIVO then. :lol:

I actually bellieve the subsription is only a few dollars a month. My wife pays the bills, so I don't know the dollar amount. It is well worth it. You can only get it through Direct TV though. I highly reccomend it. I have a 1 year old now, so I only got to watch football last season after midnight on Sundays.

Do you have cable or Direct TV?

Cable is $250 and subscription of $20 per month.

Direct TV is $149 at most stores, and every other week $50 rebate at circuit city with two line reciever i pay and additional $5.95 (I think, like having an extra box).

It will change the way you watch TV. I don't watch anything other than sports in prime time, I Tivo it and watch it later or the next day (no commercials with the fast forward saves me 10 minutes per 30 minute show)....It is awsome. :)

Rookie
    I have replay TV which is the same idea as Tivo, (like Coke and Pepsi) Anyway, you can Tivo with cable or Satelite, however the sub fee is higher if it is for cable. If you have Directv go Tivo without a doubt you and her will love it. IF you have Cable you may want to think about going Replay TV, my monthly fee is $9, or of course you could pay I think $250 straight up for life of the box.

Hall Of Fame
    [url=http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/shop/_templates/cat_listRTV.asp?cat=51&c=true&sssdmh=dm12.76114&Promocode=Promo20]Replay TV Shop[/url]

check out this link for Replay TV

I just hopped on the Replay Tv myself about two weeks ago for the price mostly but the features are the same basically, I paid 129 at Brandsmart but that link has new 40 hour units for 119, the Tivo will be 200 with a 50 mail in rebate

whatever you do pay the 12 monthly fee not the 250, the 250 is only for that particular box, if it breaks next month you lose the money and have to pay all over again

let me say this though, it is def the best piece of a/v equipment I ever invested in, you will love it

Maxman
    TIVO subscription is $12 per month. Here is the Cliff's Notes:

If you are good with PCs (hardware) there are many hacks for it. In that case buy a 40 hour TIVO and you can add a second hard drive in later.

If that is something that you are not comfortable with then buy an 80 hour TIVO.

Do you have a High Def TV? If so the basic TIVO will not record in HD. Someone else here can probably shed more light on howwhen you can get a HD TIVO. I bought a regular TIVO and I just got a 42" HD Plasma. I will say it does suck having to watch shows that were broadcast in HD on TIVO.

Regardless this is a must buy. Never watching commercials again. You will wonder how you ever put up with them.

Hall Of Fame
    I know we've had this conversation before on here but I must say again that TiVo is one of the greatest things I've ever purchased. I've had it for over 2 years and would never give it up.

Husker I sent you a PM with some info regarding TiVo.

As for HD TiVo, they have created a box and it should be released this year.

[img]http://mk29.image.pbase.com/u23/tigerdave/large/10792288.TiVoHDDVR.jpg[/img]

I can only imagine the price on this thing.

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Maxman[/i]@Mar 17 2004, 10:10 AM
    [b]
    Do you have a High Def TV? If so the basic TIVO will not record in HD. Someone else here can probably shed more light on howwhen you can get a HD TIVO. [/b][/quote]

HD TIVO is suppose to be available in May.

Hall Of Fame
    Got this from TiVo's website.

DIRECTV Brings Advanced HD DVR to Market in Early 2004
    The highly anticipated new DIRECTV HD DVR, a high definition digital video recorder, was among the products TiVo showcased at CES. The DIRECTV HD DVR, licensed and designed by TiVo, features four tuners and can automatically identify whether an incoming signal is satellite or off-air and then engage the proper tuner for recording. The new DIRECTV HD DVR will be available in the first quarter of 2004.

The popular DIRECTV DVR with TiVo will continue to be a best seller for the leading satellite television service provider. Hughes, Philips, RCA and Samsung will all offer the integrated DIRECTV tuner with TiVo at retail outlets nationally in 2004.

All Pro
    I have Time Warner cable in NYC, they gave us a new cablebox which comes with an 80 gig harddrive, acts just like a Tivo, did not involve any sort of setup or anything. It's easy as pie.

I'd check w/ your cable provider to see if they have anything similar.

Maxman
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Big Al NYC[/i]@Mar 17 2004, 01:02 PM
    [b] I have Time Warner cable in NYC, they gave us a new cablebox which comes with an 80 gig harddrive, acts just like a Tivo, did not involve any sort of setup or anything. It's easy as pie.

I'd check w/ your cable provider to see if they have anything similar. [/b][/quote]
    Comcast has something similar for $9 per month. But it is a 30 gig drive. And since you don't own the box you can't hack it. I realize the hacking may not be important to most people but it is big on my list.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Maxman+Mar 17 2004, 01:24 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Maxman @ Mar 17 2004, 01:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Big Al NYC[/i]@Mar 17 2004, 01:02 PM
    [b] I have Time Warner cable in NYC, they gave us a new cablebox which comes with an 80 gig harddrive, acts just like a Tivo, did not involve any sort of setup or anything. It&#39;s easy as pie.

I&#39;d check w/ your cable provider to see if they have anything similar. [/b][/quote]
    Comcast has something similar for &#036;9 per month. But it is a 30 gig drive. And since you don&#39;t own the box you can&#39;t hack it. I realize the hacking may not be important to most people but it is big on my list. [/b][/quote]
    can the replay Tv box be hacked like Tivo, removable harddrive, etc???

All Pro
    What exactly does hacking a Tivo do?

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Big Al NYC[/i]@Mar 17 2004, 02:01 PM
    [b] What exactly does hacking a Tivo do? [/b][/quote]

Brings out the TIVO police.

Smizzy just got a second job.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    [quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk[/i]@Mar 17 2004, 01:08 AM
    [b] I was thinking about getting a TIVO for my wife [/b][/quote]
    Yeah, sure....TIVO for your wife. Very clever Husk. What did you buy her last year, a Keg-o-lator?

BTW: Got it for my birthday last month and it is awesome. Only thing that sucks is that you can&#39;t tape a show while watching another.

Maxman
    [quote][i]Originally posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER+Mar 17 2004, 02:30 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (THE_SOOTHSAYER @ Mar 17 2004, 02:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--huskeralk[/i]@Mar 17 2004, 01:08 AM
    [b] I was thinking about getting a TIVO for my wife [/b][/quote]
    Yeah, sure....TIVO for your wife. Very clever Husk. What did you buy her last year, a Keg-o-lator?

BTW: Got it for my birthday last month and it is awesome. Only thing that sucks is that you can&#39;t tape a show while watching another. [/b][/quote]
    Cable or dish? I really only know cable but what I did for my cable is hook up two video inputs...Video 1 = TIVO, Video 2 (Through the VCR) lets me watch while taping.

I am sure if you don&#39;t have cable there are still ways to do it.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Cable box. Can&#39;t do it with a cable box.