Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Tigers Land Urbina

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok all....I know it's not the second coming of christ, nor Eric Gagne, but today the Tigers landed Urbina after some sweet talking by my newest favorite baseball player, Ivan Rodriguez. I'm not under any false pretenses that the Tigers are going to win the division, let a lone anything else, anytime soon, but after years and years of absolute disaster, things are finally turning around. There is a sense of optimism for once, a sense that the sinking ship has been righted and is back on course towards some degree of respectibility. There's a belief the Tigers can win games now, and there are players excited to play for the team.

Things are looking up for one of the most historic franchises in baseball. I can't wait for opening day.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Urbina is a good pickup, he's a solid closer.
    The Mets are idiots for going after Braden Looper, which is a bad closer instead of paying Urbina a little more.
    I mean the Marlins had to bring in Urbina to replace Looper, sigh...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good move with the pickup of Ugie. He gives those young kids a chance to win the games where they take a lead into the late innings, instead of blowing it. Good for the pysiche of the team.

Mets blew it with Looper. If the Marlins switched Ugie for Looper, what does that tell you about their opinion of him? But then again, Mets blew it with Vlad, so what else is new?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ugie and Pudge were caught kissing on camera quite a few times during the series weren't they? I'm just saying...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good move for your Tigers- Guns
    You guys have suffered being Tiger fans recently. I can commiserate being a Mets fan. The management is being aggressive and successful in bringing in players to mix with your young pitchers-Urbina is big improvement over whoever they would have had close. He is not in elite class but good enough to be a closer on two teams previously.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've always had a soft spot for the Tigers. I even own a Tigers lid and use it when playing wiffleball at times. I wish them all the best for this year. Ugi will fast become a fan favourite.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah Detroit is pumped, and I think Pudge and Ugie will cement their decision when they take the field for the first time, in Comerica. I haven't seen Detroit excited for baseball like this in a while, and I can tell that Pudge and Ugie will quickly become fan favorites. Props to Dombrowski for pursuing this and Pudge for cementing this deal.

Before we signed him, we were looking at Matt Anderson or Fernando Rodney as our closer. Anderson's days have been numbered ever since he messed his arm up in a tragic octopi throwing contest, leaving his 100 mph fastball behind. He never recovered. Rodney showed some hope but has been injured slightly in spring training and so-so in his appearances. The Tigers can now play with the feeling that they can play and win against most teams.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Mar 26 2004, 01:10 AM
    Yeah Detroit is pumped, and I think Pudge and Ugie will cement their decision when they take the field for the first time, in Comerica. I haven't seen Detroit excited for baseball like this in a while, and I can tell that Pudge and Ugie will quickly become fan favorites. Props to Dombrowski for pursuing this and Pudge for cementing this deal.

Before we signed him, we were looking at Matt Anderson or Fernando Rodney as our closer. Anderson's days have been numbered ever since he messed his arm up in a tragic octopi throwing contest, leaving his 100 mph fastball behind. He never recovered. Rodney showed some hope but has been injured slightly in spring training and so-so in his appearances. The Tigers can now play with the feeling that they can play and win against most teams.
    If some of your young pitchers develop this season, it's probably even money that yo can move ahead of the Indians. Their pitching leaves a bit to be desired, to say the least.

Glad to see that one of the historic franchises is turning around.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guns,

I always like to see a despondent franchise get better. I liked the Jack Morris Tigers.....

Anyway, I hope that Detroit begins to build up its minor leagues and begins to harvest all those draft picks after so many sh*tty seasons.

Wish all the best for the Tigers....

LL

(from a Mets fan)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good deal for Urbina. He'll get paid a lot of money and never have to pitch.

Cant beat that with a stick.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JetsMan57@Mar 30 2004, 08:06 AM
    Good deal for Urbina. He'll get paid a lot of money and never have to pitch.

Cant beat that with a stick.
    Not really true. Every team gets some 35-40 games where they have a save opportunity. He will get his cahnces. It also will be a big boost to the confidence of all the kids to see that they can hold leads late in the game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was a joke more than anything else MBN

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JetsMan57@Mar 30 2004, 08:16 AM
    It was a joke more than anything else MBN
    I read ya'. But there are enough newbies around these days who would think you were serious, and start blasting away.