Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening Day

Maxman
    Baseball is here, tomorrow morning. Anyone going to watch the Yankees?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Maxman@Mar 29 2004, 11:06 AM
    Probably won't watch that game, bu I am definitely pumped for baseball season...especially as a Knicks fan! :blink:

The Red Sox open in Baltimore on Sunday night on ESPN at 8. Daylight Savings time is next weekend.

Maxman
    Originally posted by jets5ever+Mar 29 2004, 11:37 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jets5ever @ Mar 29 2004, 11:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Maxman@Mar 29 2004, 11:06 AM
    Probably won&#39;t watch that game, bu I am definitely pumped for baseball season...especially as a Knicks fan&#33; :blink:

The Red Sox open in Baltimore on Sunday night on ESPN at 8. Daylight Savings time is next weekend. [/b][/quote]
    I am coaching my sons baseball team and I can not wait until Daylight Savings time. Trying to get out of work and have a weekday practice with enough sunlight is pretty brutal.

As far as the Sox go I am going to use history as my guide and predict a second place finish.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Maxman+Mar 29 2004, 11:32 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maxman @ Mar 29 2004, 11:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -jets5ever@Mar 29 2004, 11:37 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin--Maxman
    @Mar 29 2004, 11:06 AM

Probably won&#39;t watch that game, bu I am definitely pumped for baseball season...especially as a Knicks fan&#33; :blink:

The Red Sox open in Baltimore on Sunday night on ESPN at 8. Daylight Savings time is next weekend.
    I am coaching my sons baseball team and I can not wait until Daylight Savings time. Trying to get out of work and have a weekday practice with enough sunlight is pretty brutal.

As far as the Sox go I am going to use history as my guide and predict a second place finish. [/b][/quote]
    With your predivtion of a 2nd place finish for the Sox, I don&#39;t think you&#39;re exactly going out on a limb here.

I will be driving at about 5:30 tomorrow A.M., so I guess I will be able to catch a few innings on WCBS (880 AM). Sterling and Steiner in the morning, who would&#39;ve thunk it??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Maxman@Mar 29 2004, 10:06 AM
    You betcha I&#39;ll be watchin&#39; my Derek&#33;&#33;&#33; I watched the Jets in PRESEASON in Tokyo..the least I can do is watch Opening Day at 5 AM. Can&#39;t wait.

Maxman
    Originally posted by mbn007@Mar 29 2004, 01:29 PM
    I will be driving at about 5:30 tomorrow A.M., so I guess I will be able to catch a few innings on WCBS (880 AM).
    Sorry to hear that you will be driving at that time. Also sorry about the Sterling and Steiner thing. There isn&#39;t much chemistry there in my opinion. Not a great radio team at this point.

Maxman
    Originally posted by Gang Green Girl+Mar 29 2004, 01:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Gang Green Girl @ Mar 29 2004, 01:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Maxman@Mar 29 2004, 10:06 AM
    You betcha I&#39;ll be watchin&#39; my Derek&#33;&#33;&#33; I watched the Jets in PRESEASON in Tokyo..the least I can do is watch Opening Day at 5 AM. Can&#39;t wait. [/b][/quote]
    I am going to watch it. It will be strange seeing that at that time though. It will most likely have a "Yankees Classic" feel to it because of the time of day.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every Met fan I know got up in 2000 to watch the Mets in Tokyo at 5 am. I&#39;d hope Yankee fans would do the same.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Maxman+Mar 29 2004, 01:14 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maxman @ Mar 29 2004, 01:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Gang Green Girl@Mar 29 2004, 01:41 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--Maxman
    @Mar 29 2004, 10:06 AM

You betcha I&#39;ll be watchin&#39; my Derek&#33;&#33;&#33; I watched the Jets in PRESEASON in Tokyo..the least I can do is watch Opening Day at 5 AM. Can&#39;t wait.
    I am going to watch it. It will be strange seeing that at that time though. It will most likely have a "Yankees Classic" feel to it because of the time of day. [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;m thinkin&#39; 105 wins....what do you think....more or less?

Maxman
    Originally posted by Gang Green Girl@Mar 29 2004, 04:47 PM

[/quote]
    They are definitely going to slug there way to a lot of wins. To break 105 Kevin Brown has to stay healthy and Vazquez plus Jose C must be the real deal.

Still that is an awful lot of wins. So if I had to guess with 105 being the barometer I would say less.

Funny thing is the Yankees can win 103 games and people will say they were a failure before a postseason pitch has been thrown.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Maxman@Mar 29 2004, 04:00 PM

They are definitely going to slug there way to a lot of wins. To break 105 Kevin Brown has to stay healthy and Vazquez plus Jose C must be the real deal.

Still that is an awful lot of wins. So if I had to guess with 105 being the barometer I would say less.

Funny thing is the Yankees can win 103 games and people will say they were a failure before a postseason pitch has been thrown.
    [/quote]
    you are quite right, as always, Max. Everything they do will be under a microscope. Every move A-Rod makes will be scrutinized.

It&#39;s good for the Mutts.....it takes some pressure off them. 80 wins and their season will be considered a success.

Maxman
    Originally posted by Gang Green Girl@Mar 29 2004, 05:06 PM
    you are quite right, as always, Max. Everything they do will be under a microscope. Every move A-Rod makes will be scrutinized.

It&#39;s good for the Mutts.....it takes some pressure off them. 80 wins and their season will be considered a success.
    Here is the really scary part...I actually like the Mets chances this season. If Leiter and Glavine hold up they might be in really good shape.

I like Mike Cameron, I thought he was a good signing.

Not that I am pulling for the Mets or anything crazy like that&#33;&#33;&#33;

As far as me being always right goes, that is not the case. There was the time that I thought TomShane was actually a man. Couldn&#39;t have been more wrong on that one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are the Mess officially eliminated yet?

105 wins will be a record for a second place team.

Maxman
    Originally posted by PFSIKH@Mar 29 2004, 06:05 PM

You are so cocky now. That is what makes the unavoidable Boston choke so enjoyable year after year.

Thanks for all the entertainment value that you provide.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Maxman@Mar 29 2004, 10:13 PM

You are so cocky now. That is what makes the unavoidable Boston choke so enjoyable year after year.

Thanks for all the entertainment value that you provide.
    April May and June time is the Sox&#39; time to shine.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I worked my ass off today building an addittion on a house.....and i just took my Tylenol PM&#39;s and ill be up for the game at 5am.....get off your pasny asses and do the same.

As far as the "American pastime" opening up in japan....Baseball has gone GLOBAL...Everybody loves baseball.

I think Opening the season with the GREATEST franchise in the history of sports in Japan is amazing&#33;

I dont care what your personal opinions are about the yanks or MLB,so save them....I think 1 GAME out 162 in Japan is ok with me,especially when you consider how many Fans there are over there.

I think the yankees have a BIG HILL to climb...We can&#39;t win a championship with just offense,won&#39;t happen.
    If our P staff can stay healthy,and if vasquez doesn&#39;t buckle under the NY pressure we should see you in the ALCS.

The sox and their fans are always optimistic this time of year,but this year they might have something.Same if&#39;s apply there.

They have what we always had ,pitching.We all know where good pitching gets you.

Last year was the BEST yankee redsox year ever.their battles were unbeliebable.

I hope for the same this year.

The mets ....I like Floyd,And i like cameron....so i think if they can stay healthy...they can be palyoff bound.

Here is my Prediction for the AL east

Yankees 107-55
    Redsox 106-56
    thats right folks....it&#39;s gonna be a NAIL BITTER&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Maxman+Mar 29 2004, 01:13 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maxman @ Mar 29 2004, 01:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--mbn007@Mar 29 2004, 01:29 PM
    I will be driving at about 5:30 tomorrow A.M., so I guess I will be able to catch a few innings on WCBS (880 AM).
    Sorry to hear that you will be driving at that time. Also sorry about the Sterling and Steiner thing. There isn&#39;t much chemistry there in my opinion. Not a great radio team at this point. [/b][/quote]
    I liked Sterling and Kaye, but Kaye went to yes for mucho &#036;&#036;&#036;&#036;&#036;&#036;&#036;&#036;&# 036;&#036;. STeiner is a good co-announcer, but not for a clown like Sterling. He would have been A-OK with a Michael Kaye or Jim Katt type.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by PFSIKH@Mar 29 2004, 05:05 PM

Don&#39;t worry, BoSox aren&#39;t getting near 105 this year.

Yanks will be at 100+. That will be considered a success, whether the fans like it or not.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Maxman+Mar 29 2004, 05:04 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maxman @ Mar 29 2004, 05:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Gang Green Girl@Mar 29 2004, 05:06 PM

Here is the really scary part...I actually like the Mets chances this season. If Leiter and Glavine hold up they might be in really good shape.

I like Mike Cameron, I thought he was a good signing.

Not that I am pulling for the Mets or anything crazy like that&#33;&#33;&#33;

As far as me being always right goes, that is not the case. There was the time that I thought TomShane was actually a man. Couldn&#39;t have been more wrong on that one. [/b][/quote]
    For the Mets to be around .500 this year, they need major seasons from Leiter, Glavine and Traschel. That&#39;s asking for a lot from this group, all of them over 35.

Cameron was a solid pickup. He solidifies the OF defense, and is a decent hitter, although he strikes out too much. Matsui will be OK, and Reyes, if he gets healthy, will be a good one. I like Jason Phillips. If Piazza and Floyd stay healthy, the Mets should win around 75 games. I think the playoffs are not on the horizon this year though.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it&#39;s over. Yanks lost this early one, 8-3. Zambrono pitched very well after the fist for the Rays. Congrats to Lou. The Rays were an afterthought this whole trip. Now, no matter what happens tomorrow, this trip is a major success for them.