View Poll Results: What should league due to Todd Bertuzzi?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. Suspend Him For Life

4 30.77%
  • 2. Suspend him for as long as Moore is out

4 30.77%
  • 3. Garnish a sizeable portion of his salary to Moore

0 0%
  • 4. Let him play in October, suspension gets lifted

4 30.77%
  • 5. Send him to the Rangers right now!!!!!!

1 7.69%

Thread: OT Todd Bertuzzi

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I say suspend him for as long as Moore is out and then garnish part of his salary

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Moore is a dirtbag too.

Had no balls to settle the fight himself......but suckered bertuzzi's teammate in an earlier game.

What goes around...comes around..........Especially in Hockey!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jone- you are joking right

Moore had no chance to defend himself, also the check he laid on naslund was legal.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    also the hit on Naslund was 2 weeks before and was not in the game he got hurt.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was a cheap shot (although I wouldn't consider Bertuzzi a "thug"), but it was kinda freaky the way it happened...with a gloved fist. Very bad luck for Moore--let's hope he plays hockey again next year. Bertuzzi shouldn't return til Moore is back in action.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What happened to mcsorley?

The NHL needs to be consistent with the punishment it hands out. Has it been?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in the suspend him for life camp. Actually, I would suspend him for the year, no salary paid at all. Then review his situation every pre-season. But I would probably not let him back in. There are ways to get back at a guy, but not the way Bertuzzi did.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Shadetree@Mar 31 2004, 09:22 AM

McSorley got a one year suspension for the year following the incident. Which, at his advanced age, basically forced him into retirement.

So if they want to be consistant, maybe they should suspend Bertuzzi all of next year. I think thats sufficient, as Bertuzzi has never been a thug before...in fact, on the Island, he was kind of soft IMO.

An interesting side note....what happens if there's no pucks next year due to a lockout? Does Bertuzzi then serve the one year AFTER next year, and miss 2 full years of NHL hockey in his prime?

Now THAT is a punishment.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Brooklyn Jet+Mar 31 2004, 12:21 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Brooklyn Jet @ Mar 31 2004, 12:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Shadetree@Mar 31 2004, 09:22 AM

McSorley got a one year suspension for the year following the incident. Which, at his advanced age, basically forced him into retirement.

So if they want to be consistant, maybe they should suspend Bertuzzi all of next year. I think thats sufficient, as Bertuzzi has never been a thug before...in fact, on the Island, he was kind of soft IMO.

An interesting side note....what happens if there&#39;s no pucks next year due to a lockout? Does Bertuzzi then serve the one year AFTER next year, and miss 2 full years of NHL hockey in his prime?

Now THAT is a punishment. [/b][/quote]
    Suspension for the entire year (next season), in my opinion, is excessive. Was it stupid and cheap? YES. But, as you say...Bertuzzi is "soft". This was out of character. Should they fine him in a big way? Absolutely&#33;&#33; Hit him where it hurts, but let him play. But he should not be back until Moore is back.

However, if he does get suspended for next season AND if there is a lockout, it should count as time served for Bertuzzi.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Brooklyn Jet@Mar 31 2004, 01:21 PM

...in fact, on the Island, he was kind of soft IMO.
    You got that right....soft as they come.

Actually, because of his size and soft attitude, the Islanders brought in Clark Gillies to mentor him. Gillies rode him so hard that he was miserable and his play suffered. Then one night at a team function, Bertuzzi&#39;s wife made a big scene screaming at Gillies to leave her husband alone. That HAD to be embarassing for Bertuzzi...having his wife step in to protect him. That&#39;s the way I understand it happening, anyway.....I think I heard Howie Rose relaying the story during an Islander telecast.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Shadetree+Mar 31 2004, 12:52 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shadetree @ Mar 31 2004, 12:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Brooklyn Jet@Mar 31 2004, 01:21 PM

Actually, because of his size and soft attitude, the Islanders brought in Clark Gillies to mentor him. Gillies rode him so hard that he was miserable and his play suffered. Then one night at a team function, Bertuzzi&#39;s wife made a big scene screaming at Gillies to leave her husband alone. That HAD to be embarassing for Bertuzzi...having his wife step in to protect him. That&#39;s the way I understand it happening, anyway.....I think I heard Howie Rose relaying the story during an Islander telecast. [/b][/quote]
    That is an embarassing incident, and that is the prime example of a soft player, needing the wife to protect you and fight your battles.

However, there is no place in Hockey for the cheap shot, attack-from-behind job he did on Moore. Lifetime suspension, reviewable every year. That&#39;s my stand.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mbn007+Mar 31 2004, 12:56 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mbn007 @ Mar 31 2004, 12:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Shadetree@Mar 31 2004, 12:52 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--Brooklyn Jet
    @Mar 31 2004, 01:21 PM

Actually, because of his size and soft attitude, the Islanders brought in Clark Gillies to mentor him. Gillies rode him so hard that he was miserable and his play suffered. Then one night at a team function, Bertuzzi&#39;s wife made a big scene screaming at Gillies to leave her husband alone. That HAD to be embarassing for Bertuzzi...having his wife step in to protect him. That&#39;s the way I understand it happening, anyway.....I think I heard Howie Rose relaying the story during an Islander telecast.
    That is an embarassing incident, and that is the prime example of a soft player, needing the wife to protect you and fight your battles.

However, there is no place in Hockey for the cheap shot, attack-from-behind job he did on Moore. Lifetime suspension, reviewable every year. That&#39;s my stand. [/b][/quote]
    you&#39;re a hard a*s. Take a healthy chunk of the guy&#39;s salary, but when Moore starts playing, put him back in the game.

Do you think Bertuzzi should be brought up on charges? It&#39;s hockey....let them police themselves. Do you have a legit argument here &#39;cause I could change my mind about this. I don&#39;t consider something like this part of the game, but it happens....

The wife fighting the battles....sounds like Kurt and Brenda Warner.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Gang Green Girl@Mar 31 2004, 01:59 PM
    you&#39;re a hard a*s. Take a healthy chunk of the guy&#39;s salary, but when Moore starts playing, put him back in the game.

Do you think Bertuzzi should be brought up on charges? It&#39;s hockey....let them police themselves. Do you have a legit argument here &#39;cause I could change my mind about this. I don&#39;t consider something like this part of the game, but it happens....

I guess I am being overly rough here, but this type of incident really bothers me. Just gets me all fired up. Sorry, but that&#39;s the way I feel about it, and I still stand by my opinion that he should be indef. suspended, with a review each pre-season.

BTW, I like your comment comparing the Bertuzzi&#39;s to the Warners. Good one.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mbn007+Apr 1 2004, 10:28 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mbn007 @ Apr 1 2004, 10:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Gang Green Girl@Mar 31 2004, 01:59 PM

I guess I am being overly rough here, but this type of incident really bothers me. Just gets me all fired up. Sorry, but that&#39;s the way I feel about it, and I still stand by my opinion that he should be indef. suspended, with a review each pre-season.

BTW, I like your comment comparing the Bertuzzi&#39;s to the Warners. Good one. [/b][/quote]
    Do you think he should be charged with a felony? I&#39;ve heard good arguments both for and against it. There&#39;s no right answer, but I kinda think they should police themselves. It&#39;s an NHL issue and it should remain there. No?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    GGG- Moore could have died on ice.

Felony charges are appropriate, this way players may think again before they
    committ this cowardly act.

I believe Moore&#39;s career is done, he was a grinder this was the only way for him to
    stay in NHL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by afosomf@Apr 2 2004, 08:35 AM
    GGG- Moore could have died on ice.

Felony charges are appropriate, this way players may think again before they
    committ this cowardly act.

I believe Moore&#39;s career is done, he was a grinder this was the only way for him to
    stay in NHL.
    You&#39;re point is well taken and I understand what you&#39;re sayin&#39;. I do think that Bertuzzi should not be back until Moore is back on the ice. But I believe that there is no one more sorry than Bertuzzi.

He is done for the remainder of the season. He has to live with the injury and the fact that he let his team down (plus the Canucks have been fined &#036;250K USD). He made a mistake. He is human and doesn&#39;t have a reputation for his thug-like recent behavior. Let him do community service, pay heavy fines and, ultimately, I&#39;d also let Moore have a say in his punishment (to a certain extent).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    GGG- I say that he should pay at least &#036;200 grand a year to Moore if Moore&#39;s career
    is kaput . The bare minimum should be at least pay him a total of &#036;2 million.

Steve&#39;s career is probably over. Bertuzzi is probably making &#036;4m a year, small price
    for his crime.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by afosomf@Apr 2 2004, 03:31 PM
    GGG- I say that he should pay at least &#036;200 grand a year to Moore if Moore&#39;s career
    is kaput . The bare minimum should be at least pay him a total of &#036;2 million.

Steve&#39;s career is probably over. Bertuzzi is probably making &#036;4m a year, small price
    for his crime.
    I&#39;m okay with your &#036;&#036; penalty assessment. But no one has said that Moore&#39;s career is likely over. He seems to be making good progress--let&#39;s hope for the best.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Gang Green Girl+Apr 2 2004, 03:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Gang Green Girl @ Apr 2 2004, 03:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--afosomf@Apr 2 2004, 03:31 PM

for his crime.
    I&#39;m okay with your &#036;&#036; penalty assessment. But no one has said that Moore&#39;s career is likely over. He seems to be making good progress--let&#39;s hope for the best. [/b][/quote]
    Last I read was that Moore may be able to play again, but not for a year or so. Even then, who knows if he ever will be able to display enough skills to maintain an NHL job. He was a grinder, like Afosomf stated, and may not be able/willing to do that anymore. If so, his skill level may not allow him to maintain an NHL position.

As far as Felony charges go, I am in favor, simply because this will make other thugs think twice before lowering the boom on someone. But if you agree with this position on felony charges, then you admit that Todd overstepped his bounds here, and that&#39;s why I maintain a liketime ban is appropriate.