Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What up

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is his size really that much of an issue? IMO, NFL LBs can be very effective at 225-230 range. Other than that, what are people's concerns? The guy was always all over the field. he was a 3 year starter and seems to be versatile. He is extremely smart and perhaps most importantly, he was the undisputed leader of the defense. Why is he NOT worth the #12 spot, like many people here have indicated?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by LesterLyles[/i]@Apr 2 2004, 04:29 PM
    [b] Is his size really that much of an issue? IMO, NFL LBs can be very effective at 225-230 range. Other than that, what are people's concerns? The guy was always all over the field. he was a 3 year starter and seems to be versatile. He is extremely smart and perhaps most importantly, he was the undisputed leader of the defense. Why is he NOT worth the #12 spot, like many people here have indicated? [/b][/quote]
    He's a smurf. I would rather have Teddy Lehman. Lehamn would be cheaper anyway.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why pay $2 for something you can get for $1.50?
    He'll be there at 18, maybe even in the mid 20's.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by MickeyShuler[/i]@Apr 2 2004, 04:33 PM
    [b] Why pay $2 for something you can get for $1.50?
    He'll be there at 18, maybe even in the mid 20's. [/b][/quote]
    Are we sure about this?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure Vilma will be a nice player but the jets have a cjance to get a GAME CHANGER at 12...
    Roy or M Williams has to be selected..Chad is the franchise..give him franchise wr's..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Apr 2 2004, 05:03 PM
    [b] I'm sure Vilma will be a nice player but the jets have a cjance to get a GAME CHANGER at 12...
    Roy or M Williams has to be selected..Chad is the franchise..give him franchise wr's.. [/b][/quote]
    ur my new hero

THAT'S THE ANSWER!

holes-shmoles build ur team around one man - Penny

if neither of the WR is there then def go for Vilma w/ a trade down or Dunta and then pick up Lehman later (he'll b good)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vilma is alot better then people give him credit for.

The guy has leadership ability along the lines of Ray Lewis, and I'm not stretching it at all. Sideline to Sideline playmaking ability, he is extremely smart, and would solidify the linebacking corps.

He is a great athlete, he's an every down linebacker, and would definately start over Cowart.

The JETS can trade down to about 20-24 to get him.

Vilma would make a bigger impact on the JETS then any reciever in this draft because he would have a very good chance to start right away, and the JETS are already set with their starters at wide reciever.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetsD-Mastermind[/i]@Apr 2 2004, 08:42 PM
    [b] Vilma is alot better then people give him credit for.

The guy has leadership ability along the lines of Ray Lewis, and I'm not stretching it at all. [/b][/quote]
    so what are you trying to say, that he kills people?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by shuler82+Apr 2 2004, 07:09 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (shuler82 @ Apr 2 2004, 07:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JetsD-Mastermind[/i]@Apr 2 2004, 08:42 PM

The guy has leadership ability along the lines of Ray Lewis, and I&#39;m not stretching it at all. [/b][/quote]
    so what are you trying to say, that he kills people? [/b][/quote]
    Yes by comparing their leadership abilities, I&#39;m actually saying Vilma kills people,
    moron <_<

Seriously, when you try to make a joke, please make sure it makes sense with the statement, and also make sure its funny, because your just wasting your time......I almost pity you.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetsD-Mastermind[/i]@Apr 2 2004, 06:42 PM

The guy has leadership ability along the lines of Ray Lewis, and I&#39;m not stretching it at all. Sideline to Sideline playmaking ability, he is extremely smart, and would solidify the linebacking corps.

He is a great athlete, he&#39;s an every down linebacker, and would definately start over Cowart.

The JETS can trade down to about 20-24 to get him.

Vilma would make a bigger impact on the JETS then any reciever in this draft because he would have a very good chance to start right away, and the JETS are already set with their starters at wide reciever. [/b][/quote]
    I think he is a LOT better than people give him credit for, and I&#39;m tired of the "small" label.

The guy is a violent player, a heat-seeking missile, a guy who could cement this defense for a decade.

I&#39;ve hear that this guy has run him over and that guy blahblahblah, and that DJ has the REAL potential.

I&#39;ve seen UofM a bunch of times against my Orangemen, and in some of the nationally televised games.

Almost NEVER hear DJs name.

Vilma is in on every tackle.

If Roy or Kellen or Mike W are there, you have to take them.

If not, do NOT screw around with the chance to take Vilma.

I think he&#39;ll be a stud for years.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Vilma rules........I want Vilma............ :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'>

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    whats wrong with vilma?

1)hes small

2)Hobson - 2nd year of new deal
    Cowart - has like 4 years left
    Barton - newly signed

where will he make that impact? hes too small to take cowarts spot and cut him, you cant give #12 money to someone who will warm your bench for the next 4 years, we need a player who can make an impact now, a Sean Taylor, a Mike Williams, a DeAngelo Hall, a Vince Wilfork, thats what we need

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by abraham-94[/i]@Apr 2 2004, 07:20 PM
    [b] whats wrong with vilma?

1)hes small

Barton - newly signed

where will he make that impact? hes too small to take cowarts spot and cut him, you cant give #12 money to someone who will warm your bench for the next 4 years, we need a player who can make an impact now, a Sean Taylor, a Mike Williams, a DeAngelo Hall, a Vince Wilfork, thats what we need [/b][/quote]
    Cowart is burnt, what in gods name are you talking about.

This guy is no longer a playmaker, he&#39;s slow, and just doesn&#39;t make enough plays.

Middle in the 4-3 is not his natural position, the strongside linebacker is his natural position from his college days, and the inside of th 3-4 from his Buffalo days. Cowart is a shell of hisformer self, and is very average.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by abraham-94[/i]@Apr 2 2004, 07:20 PM

1)hes small

Barton - newly signed

where will he make that impact? hes too small to take cowarts spot and cut him, you cant give #12 money to someone who will warm your bench for the next 4 years, we need a player who can make an impact now, a Sean Taylor, a Mike Williams, a DeAngelo Hall, a Vince Wilfork, thats what we need [/b][/quote]
    excellent post. Vilma would sit on the bench for 3 years. Draft D Hall or a WR that could start next year if Donnie Abraham or Santana Moss bail.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think JETS brass thinking is:

1. Pay bonus to Cowart this year

2. cutting him next year is pallatable

3. Trade down to late teens and select Vilma. FS/CB with additional pick (be it a late 2nd or 3rd) Joey Thomas/ Jason Shivers

4. Vilma sees Limited action in rookie year and special teams

5. Starter in 2005, in the middle alongside Hobson and Barton

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never, ever, expect a WR to have a big impact in his rookie year.

Vilma will be a STAR if his team can keep blockers off of him.

The Jets appear to have a DL capable of doing just that, particularly if they start playing 2-gap (though that would require good coaching too....)

Detroit reportedly likes Vilma, and is also reportedly concerned that he wouldn&#39;t be there at #21 (take anything like that with a grain of salt, of course)...

But still, I wouldn&#39;t count on Vilma being there at 20 or 21.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    IF WINSLOW, TAYLOR OR R WILLIAMS IS GONE..DRAFT VILMA&#33;

LL

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vilma can start on this team right away, because Cowart is way too mediocre.

I&#39;m pretty sure Herm has learned as a head coach that starting rookies if it helps the team is fine, he has stated many teams that he&#39;s looking for a starter possibly even 2 starters out of this draft.

Vilma like I&#39;ve stated before has instincts and leadership abilities comparable to Ray Lewis. This guy is also a HUGE playmaker, the JETS need that type of player.

If the JETS drafted Vilma it would help the team alot more then drafting Mike Williams.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by NYJetsro71+Apr 2 2004, 07:33 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (NYJetsro71 @ Apr 2 2004, 07:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--abraham-94[/i]@Apr 2 2004, 07:20 PM

1)hes small

Barton - newly signed

excellent post. Vilma would sit on the bench for 3 years. Draft D Hall or a WR that could start next year if Donnie Abraham or Santana Moss bail. [/b][/quote]
    What are you people thinking?

Cowart is definitely on the downside of his career. Even if he weren&#39;t, you&#39;re NOT going to get through the season with three linebackers.

Vilma would not warm the bench for three years. It&#39;s idiotic to say he would.

If they draft that idiot Kellen Winslow, I&#39;ll be forced to start JetsOutsiders.com.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vilma is not too small, he&#39;s 6&#39;0 1/2, and 230lbs, there are plenty of very good small middle linebackers in this league.

Shelton Quarles, Donnie Edwards, Zack Thomas, Dat Nygen, Mark Simoneau, Dan Morgan, Mike Peterson, London Fletcher, and Al Wilson.