Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's face it...Chrebet is done!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    As much as I love the guy and can't wait for the Jets to retire his number, does anyone really think he's going to be able to finish this season? The guy has had multiple concussions over the last couple years. He makes his living over the middle, catching balls in traffic with DBs, LBs and DL men coverging on him from every angle.

The guy is a true warrior who over achieved and deserves to go down as one of the all-time Jets. But let's face it he's getting older, slower and you have to believe that every time a ball is thrown his way he'll be thinking about his concussions.

Thanks for the great years Wayne, but do yourself and the Jets a favor and retire. You've got your whole life ahead of you.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're going to be waiting a long time for them to retire his number.

The Jets do not need a WR in the 1st round. They need defense, and plenty of it. If possible, they need to trade down and stockpile picks. Get some secondary help, some depth at LB and on the OL, then worry about a #3 WR.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes lets blow a first round pick on a guy who will be nothing more then a 3rd, possibly even the 4th reciever, when all the JETS need is a possession reciever with sure hands which they can get in rounds 4-7.

No, I don't think so, the JETS need more playmakers on defense.

Also, you don't know if Chrebet is done, he was fitted with a special helmut and Mouth Piece that protects against concussions.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was never really a fan of his, but he consitantly over-acheived. I he was never anything better than an exceptional number 3, posession receiver and never a threat to go for 6. How can you expect much on the downside of his career with a medical issue.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetsD-Mastermind[/i]@Apr 3 2004, 11:07 AM
    [b] Yes lets blow a first round pick on a guy who will be nothing more then a 3rd, possibly even the 4th reciever, when all the JETS need is a possession reciever with sure hands which they can get in rounds 4-7.

No, I don't think so, the JETS need more playmakers on defense.

Also, you don't know if Chrebet is done, he was fitted with a special helmut and Mouth Piece that protects against concussions. [/b][/quote]
    PLEASE!

TERRY BRADWAY PLEASE BLOW THE PICK!

let the guy be a 3rd or even 17th WR and then 2 yrs from now become the stud while you saved a ton of money by letting Moss go! This draft is full of WR talent where a #16 pick like reggie could be #5 any other year. You pass up on Milke or Roy (top 4 picks anytime else) and you're on crack

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Chad+Apr 3 2004, 12:00 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (The Chad @ Apr 3 2004, 12:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JetsD-Mastermind[/i]@Apr 3 2004, 11:07 AM
    [b] Yes lets blow a first round pick on a guy who will be nothing more then a 3rd, possibly even the 4th reciever, when all the JETS need is a possession reciever with sure hands which they can get in rounds 4-7.

No, I don&#39;t think so, the JETS need more playmakers on defense.

Also, you don&#39;t know if Chrebet is done, he was fitted with a special helmut and Mouth Piece that protects against concussions. [/b][/quote]
    PLEASE&#33;

TERRY BRADWAY PLEASE BLOW THE PICK&#33;

let the guy be a 3rd or even 17th WR and then 2 yrs from now become the stud while you saved a ton of money by letting Moss go&#33; This draft is full of WR talent where a #16 pick like reggie could be #5 any other year. You pass up on Milke or Roy (top 4 picks anytime else) and you&#39;re on crack [/b][/quote]
    I fully agree with the part about not missing out on an elite WR. I know we picked up Mcareins, yet I am not sold yet&#33;&#33; I am however sold on Reggie and Roy...Hell even Mike... Any of the Williams would make our offense that much better. Just imagine a Reggie/Roy/Mike - Santana Moss- J.MCareins combo- And who is to say that Reggie/Roy/Mike would be a 3rd WR...I think any of these guys are good enough to be the #1 option. I love Santana and all, yet these guys would push from the front not the back. So dont assume that we would be drafting a 3rd WR--who may very well end up being J. Mcareins. Guess we will be doing a lot more 3WR sets&#33;&#33;

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jegjet[/i]@Apr 3 2004, 11:03 AM
    [b]
    He makes his living over the middle, catching balls in traffic with DBs, LBs and DL men coverging on him from every angle.

[/b][/quote]

Absolutely right.

Trying to catch all those floaters and puffballs going across the middle would get anybody killed. ;)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    sorry I would take a WR for 1 reason only you put a person like ( a williwams ) in the 3 spot or even as posetion reciever you will get a guy who will pick up not a 1st down but a 50 yard gain or TD depending on the CB who is blocking him and O by the way I dont think A #3 CB or LB would be able to stop mike williams
    you could put him as TE with baker on other side and moss and mccareins as WR and the D would Chit their pants

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by EL_Shepherd[/i]@Apr 3 2004, 12:08 PM
    [b] I am however sold on Reggie and Roy...Hell even Mike... Any of the Williams would make our offense that much better. Just imagine a Reggie/Roy/Mike - Santana Moss- J.MCareins combo- And who is to say that Reggie/Roy/Mike would be a 3rd WR...I think any of these guys are good enough to be the #1 option. I love Santana and all, yet these guys would push from the front not the back. So dont assume that we would be drafting a 3rd WR--who may very well end up being J. Mcareins. Guess we will be doing a lot more 3WR sets&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    How can you be sold on college players when they didn&#39;t even play in the NFL yet? You can be sold on them playing college ball but not pro ball.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by daJETfan[/i]@Apr 3 2004, 12:14 PM
    [b] sorry I would take a WR for 1 reason only you put a person like ( a williwams ) in the 3 spot or even as posetion reciever you will get a guy who will pick up not a 1st down but a 50 yard gain or TD depending on the CB who is blocking him and O by the way I dont think A #3 CB or LB would be able to stop mike williams
    you could put him as TE with baker on other side and moss and mccareins as WR and the D would Chit their pants [/b][/quote]
    thank you very much

if some1 is still doubting what this offense could be w/ a WR at #12 just read that above and imagine. Seriously imagine all the options and the fear in the D. Imagine consistent moving of the chains and just scoring on will. Is that not worth a #12 pick?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you read Thursday&#39; s Newsday it is quite apparent the Jets concur with jeg on Chrebet.

Chrebet agreed to restructure his contract where by his base salary is reduced and his incentive bonuses increased. The Jets also have an escape cause that stipulates a reduction of his base salary to 500 Grand if he suffers a season ending concussion this year. Any way you cut it Chrebet is done after this year. No big loss Chrebet without a doubt was the most overrated WR in Jet History. <_<

Even with McCareins the Jets will need to take at least 1 WR in this draft for depth. This is one reason why I find the McCariens acquisition mystifying. McCareins is a very good receiver but does not have the upside potential of the blue chippers in the draft. Fitzgerald and any of the Williams have All-Pro Potential. At least one of those guys will be on the board when the Jets come up in Round 1. A draft as deep as this one is at WR only happens every 3-5 years. The Jets may not find themselves in this position again for another 9 to 15 years. Yet they shoud reach for a LB or CB that isn&#39;t even projected to be taken in the top half of round 1 simply because they have a need ? That&#39; s how a team winds up with crappy talent.

[b]Puzzling absolutely puzzling &#33;[/b]

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Chad+Apr 3 2004, 12:48 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (The Chad @ Apr 3 2004, 12:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--daJETfan[/i]@Apr 3 2004, 12:14 PM
    [b] sorry I would take a WR for 1 reason only you put a person like ( a williwams ) in the 3 spot or even as posetion reciever you will get a guy who will pick up not a 1st down but a 50 yard gain or TD depending on the CB who is blocking him and O by the way I dont think A #3 CB or LB would be able to stop mike williams
    you could put him as TE with baker on other side and moss and mccareins as WR and the D would Chit their pants [/b][/quote]
    thank you very much

if some1 is still doubting what this offense could be w/ a WR at #12 just read that above and imagine. Seriously imagine all the options and the fear in the D. Imagine consistent moving of the chains and just scoring on will. Is that not worth a #12 pick? [/b][/quote]
    Because they sell theirselves High everytime. These fellas are clearly Men among boys. They each have the attitude skills and talent to succeed. I am SOLD

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Defense is too much of a pressing need to pass on playmakers on defense in this is draft, Moss is the numer one guy, and yes the market has gone up so he will get money, but 2005 or 06, when this guy gets his money the Salary cap will be higher, the JETS will have cap room, it will make sense.

Moss is here to stay, sorry to burst your bubble but the guy is a very good number 1 reciever.

The JETS are thinking defense thank god, and know they need more playmakers on defense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets D

i want you to swear to me on evrything holy that you would b happy if the jets picked hall/wilfork/vilma at #12 and left MW on there for the Bills to grab? i dare you to tell me you would love to see hall or vilma get blown by MW in one of our opposing games b/c we passed up on an All-Pro. Go ahead say it, b/c we have such glaring needs. No Def. player drafted will start this yr even not Vilma. But MW can easily fight to start at #3 (3 WR set), #2, even #1 (he&#39;s a big boy&#33;) WR, or how about a TE?

tell me you would be happy

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Chad[/i]@Apr 3 2004, 01:02 PM
    [b] Jets D

i want you to swear to me on evrything holy that you would b happy if the jets picked hall/wilfork/vilma at #12 and left MW on there for the Bills to grab? i dare you to tell me you would love to see hall or vilma get blown by MW in one of our opposing games b/c we passed up on an All-Pro. Go ahead say it, b/c we have such glaring needs. No Def. player drafted will start this yr even not Vilma. But MW can easily fight to start at #3 (3 WR set), #2, even #1 (he&#39;s a big boy&#33;) WR, or how about a TE?

tell me you would be happy [/b][/quote]
    IF this, IF that, IF whatever, jesus christ already chad, chill with these preminitions already.

Why are all of these wide recievers automatically studs, they&#39;re not. Your not Ms. Cleo, you can&#39;t keep predicting all of these ridiculous things.

The JETS need to start injecting youth, speed, and playmakers in that defense for now and the future which is a much more pressing need.

If the JETS can come away with a receiver like Devard Darling in the 3rd or 4th, they can get guys that can step into the 3rd spot right away in rounds 3-7. Moss is an awsome reciever, McCariens was basically the number 2 reciever, anytime he was on the field he was always the split end with the Titans, and the guy was amazing.

The Defense needs help, its mediocre right now, and if you look at every superbowl team, every single team has a pretty good defense, even the Rams defense in 99 was top 10 in the run and scoring defense in the league.

The JETS need more playmakers, more speed, and just flat out more energy on defense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with JetsD, we dont need another need receiver. Even if it is Mike Williams--especially Mike with all the question marks about him.
    I&#39;d probably be upset if the Jets got him, the only valid reason I can see to them doing that is if they plan on letting Moss go. (Which I dont agree with)

Draft Hall plz

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetsD-Mastermind[/i]@Apr 3 2004, 01:10 PM
    [b] The Defense needs help, its mediocre right now, and if you look at every superbowl team, every single team has a pretty good defense, even the Rams defense in 99 was top 10 in the run and scoring defense in the league.

The JETS need more playmakers, more speed, and just flat out more energy on defense. [/b][/quote]
    Barton, Barrett and Tongue weren&#39;t brought in and signed so they could ride the bench. Those are your new starters a D this year.

The only way I see the Jets spending more than one first day pick on Defense is if they trade off their excess D-Line talent and or trade down in the 1st round.

Here is a best case scenario

Jets trade their no 12 1st rounder for Dallas&#39; s no 20 1st round plus their no 52 2nd rounder. The trade Jon Abraham for a middle to late 2nd rounder. Then draft:

1 Dunta Robinson CB
    2a Ernest Wilford WR
    2b Rod Davis ILB
    3 Justin Smiley OG

None of these guys will be starters their rookie season with the exception of Robinson late in the season if Barrett screws the pooch &#33;

BTW Even at 2b Davis is a big gamble &#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by WestCoastMole+Apr 3 2004, 07:01 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (WestCoastMole @ Apr 3 2004, 07:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JetsD-Mastermind[/i]@Apr 3 2004, 01:10 PM
    [b] The Defense needs help, its mediocre right now, and if you look at every superbowl team, every single team has a pretty good defense, even the Rams defense in 99 was top 10 in the run and scoring defense in the league.

The JETS need more playmakers, more speed, and just flat out more energy on defense. [/b][/quote]
    Barton, Barrett and Tongue weren&#39;t brought in and signed so they could ride the bench. Those are your new starters a D this year.

The only way I see the Jets spending more than one first day pick on Defense is if they trade off their excess D-Line talent and or trade down in the 1st round.

Jets trade their no 12 1st rounder for Dallas&#39; s no 20 1st round plus their no 52 2nd rounder. The trade Jon Abraham for a middle to late 2nd rounder. Then draft:

1 Dunta Robinson CB
    2a Ernest Wilford WR
    2b Rod Davis ILB
    3 Justin Smiley OG

None of these guys will be starters their rookie season with the exception of Robinson late in the season if Barrett screws the pooch &#33;

BTW Even at 2b Davis is a big gamble &#33; [/b][/quote]
    I would rather pick up Richard Seigler if he is available in the second round. He played with Nick Barnett at OSU, and Barnett is doing pretty well in Green Bay. Seigler, IMO, has the potential to be a very good Inside Linebacker...and I think he will benefit from a year of playing once in a while.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Chad[/i]@Apr 3 2004, 01:02 PM
    [b] Jets D

tell me you would be happy [/b][/quote]
    I would be very happy. And, you&#39;re an idiot.

These guys are college receivers, for chrissakes. They&#39;re not Superman. We don&#39;t go 16-0 because we draft someone named Williams.

Here&#39;s another bit of education for you - no matter who our receivers are, we will not "score at will" and defenses won&#39;t "chit their pants."

As for Chrebet, I&#39;m a big fan, but I agree things don&#39;t look good for him. I&#39;m rooting for him to surprise everyone, make all his incentives and retire, healthy, when he&#39;s ready. I applaud the Jets for making contingency plans in case that doesn&#39;t happen.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan+Apr 3 2004, 03:13 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (TheBrodyMan @ Apr 3 2004, 03:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -WestCoastMole@Apr 3 2004, 07:01 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--JetsD-Mastermind[/i]@Apr 3 2004, 01:10 PM

1 Dunta Robinson CB
    2a Ernest Wilford WR
    2b Rod Davis ILB
    3 Justin Smiley OG

BTW Even at 2b Davis is a big gamble &#33; [/b][/quote]
    I would rather pick up Richard Seigler if he is available in the second round. He played with Nick Barnett at OSU, and Barnett is doing pretty well in Green Bay. Seigler, IMO, has the potential to be a very good Inside Linebacker...and I think he will benefit from a year of playing once in a while. [/b][/quote]
    Brody The ILB Crew in this year&#39;s draft is putrid. Once you get past Darryl Smith the quality of player drops off into deep space.

Siegler is too small to play inside. Nick Barnett was a pleasant surprise last year but don&#39;t epect lightning to strike twice at the same school.

The safe bet is to take a guy like Roderick Royal on day 2 and hope you get lucky. If he busts out no big loss