Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's face it...Chrebet is done!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i expect him to have a good year

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r: Chrebet is an overacheiver????

You play that many years in the NFL and guess what? That makes u a decent receiver.........after three years in the league, wayne was a bona fide WR.

He has football left and he will be an asset for the Jets in 2004....if it does not work out, it won't hurt the Jets......we gotta go defense in the 1st round.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    wayne is the man

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Apr 3 2004, 12:13 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ Apr 3 2004, 12:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jegjet[/i]@Apr 3 2004, 11:03 AM
    [b]
    He makes his living over the middle, catching balls in traffic with DBs, LBs and DL men coverging on him from every angle.

[/b][/quote]

Absolutely right.

Trying to catch all those floaters and puffballs going across the middle would get anybody killed. ;) [/b][/quote]
    When did Wayne get traded to the Patriots?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chrebet isnt done, I bet he has a really good year this year, the best year of a third WR in a long time
    Plus you dont draft a WR in the First to be a 3rd WR maybe a WR in the 3 or 4 to be a 3rd not a first

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by WestCoastMole+Apr 3 2004, 03:01 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (WestCoastMole @ Apr 3 2004, 03:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JetsD-Mastermind[/i]@Apr 3 2004, 01:10 PM
    [b] The Defense needs help, its mediocre right now, and if you look at every superbowl team, every single team has a pretty good defense, even the Rams defense in 99 was top 10 in the run and scoring defense in the league.

The JETS need more playmakers, more speed, and just flat out more energy on defense. [/b][/quote]
    Barton, Barrett and Tongue weren&#39;t brought in and signed so they could ride the bench. Those are your new starters a D this year.

The only way I see the Jets spending more than one first day pick on Defense is if they trade off their excess D-Line talent and or trade down in the 1st round.

Here is a best case scenario

Jets trade their no 12 1st rounder for Dallas&#39; s no 20 1st round plus their no 52 2nd rounder. The trade Jon Abraham for a middle to late 2nd rounder. Then draft:

1 Dunta Robinson CB
    2a Ernest Wilford WR
    2b Rod Davis ILB
    3 Justin Smiley OG

None of these guys will be starters their rookie season with the exception of Robinson late in the season if Barrett screws the pooch &#33;

BTW Even at 2b Davis is a big gamble &#33; [/b][/quote]
    You just proved to me that you have no idea what your talking about.

Wilford and Rod Davis in the second round? are you nuts?
    Both of them are 5th rounders.

Also, the JETS need more playmakers on defense, believe it or not they have alot of playmakers on Offense.
    Sowell, Moss, MacCariens, Martin, and then they have solid players that help make this offense good, Baker, Becht, Chrebet, Carter.

I do agree the JETS should pick up a reciever a possession reciever with sure hands, but they can do this in rounds 4-7.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I&#39;d like some defensive playmakers too, but you can&#39;t make plays if yoy&#39;re sitting on the bench. With the exception of Sean Taylor, no defensive player selected would be a starter or even see any meaningful playing time. Chrebet is done. Any receiver taken at 12 would be your #3 and insurance if JM or SM get injured or SM doesn&#39;t re-up or JM doesn&#39;t live up to expectations. With one pick in the first two rounds we need that player to have an impact now. Outside of a starting G, WR makes the most impact.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    While debating drafting defense or offense with our 1st rd pick we need to remember that as bad as our defense looked last year we still had a glaring problem scoring points once teams doubled Moss.

Granted Wayne was hurt and we now have JMac on board, but if we don&#39;t draft a top WR at #12 we will be one injury away from a offensively challenged team again.

Our offense and Chad specifically (remember 2002) is at it&#39;s best when it has a FULL compliment of wideouts for defenses to worry about.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetsD-Mastermind[/i]@Apr 3 2004, 05:18 PM
    [b] You just proved to me that you have no idea what your talking about.

Wilford and Rod Davis in the second round? are you nuts?
    Both of them are 5th rounders.

Also, the JETS need more playmakers on defense, believe it or not they have alot of playmakers on Offense.
    Sowell, Moss, MacCariens, Martin, and then they have solid players that help make this offense good, Baker, Becht, Chrebet, Carter. [/b][/quote]
    As to Wilford I suggest you check out the Huddle Report and NFLDraftCountdown. Huddle has him going in the 3rd round at pick 69 to the Falcons 19 picks ahead of Devard Darling. Countdown ranks him just behind PK Sam who they list as the last player taken in the 3rd round.

Wilford&#39; s physical assets are better than all but the Elite prospects in this draft. 6-3 1/2, 225 lbs, a tremendous leaper and very physical. His weakness is his lack of speed, if you can call a 4.6 40 slow. But that is really immaterial as he is the consumate example of a WCO receiver. His strong suit is as a Red Zone Receiver when there is lots of traffic. In those situations little speed burners like Moss are useless. Wilford would be an absolute steal in the 3rd round.

As to Davis I have spoken to this before and reiterate. The ILB crop in this draft sucks the hairy wet one &#33; Once you get past Daryl Smith it slim pickins. Maybe gambling with a Roderick Royal in the 7th round is the best way to go. The Jets no longer have a need for a starting OLB with the signing of Eric Barton so that is the only route to go. BTW Huddle shows Davis going in the 4th Round.

As to Abraham I still see the Jets looking to make a big push to move him out on draft day even if they don&#39; t use the resulting pick on defense. As I see it the Jets don&#39; t want to Franchise Abe after the season and then face the prospect of having to pay him the average of the top 5 salaries if they can&#39;t move him. If they can land a 2nd rounder for him they have an outside shot at Veron Carey. The 3-4 alignment will only see limited use making Abe&#39;s "conversion to LB" a moot point.

So try this on for size

1) DeAngelo Hall
    2) Veron Carey
    3) Ernest Wilford

or

1) DeAngelo Hall
    2) Ernest Wilford
    3) Justin Smiley

When you classify Becht, Chrebet and Carter as "solid players" your lack of objectivity becomes readily apparent

Becht, the guy who has developed a reputation for laying the ball on the turf a solid player ? :huh:

Jonathan Carter a free agent acquisition whose claim to fame was his speed. A player who had one good game and then blew out his knee is a solid player ? :blink:

Wayne Chrebet the guy who hasn&#39;t played a full season in the last 3 years and is one bump on the noggin away from retiring is a solid player ? :wacko:

Get real bud &#33; <_<

Veteran
    Cirencester ENGLAND Capital of the Cotswolds
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any way you cut it Chrebet is done after this year. No big loss Chrebet without a doubt was the most overrated WR in Jet History.

Just a bit nasty don&#39;t you think.

Is it any wonder that players fail to show any loyalty during contract negotiations? #80 has never given less than 100%

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Dalco.uk[/i]@Apr 4 2004, 06:12 AM
    [b] Any way you cut it Chrebet is done after this year. No big loss Chrebet without a doubt was the most overrated WR in Jet History.

Just a bit nasty don&#39;t you think. [/b][/quote]
    Yep....more than a bit nasty. My remarks are directed more to the Chrebetheads, who would rather draft defensive players for which they don&#39; t have roster space than draft a receiver that adds a new dimension to the team.

Wayne-the-whiner for all the contributions he has made can be a source of disruption at the most inoppourtune times. A big physical receiver like Mike Williams or Ernest Wilford would give the Jets the Red Zone Weapon they sorely need.

With the way his production has sagged over the last few seasons Chrebet will be lucky to pull down 50 balls this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by WestCoastMole+Apr 4 2004, 09:32 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (WestCoastMole @ Apr 4 2004, 09:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Dalco.uk[/i]@Apr 4 2004, 06:12 AM
    [b] Any way you cut it Chrebet is done after this year. No big loss Chrebet without a doubt was the most overrated WR in Jet History.

Just a bit nasty don&#39;t you think. [/b][/quote]
    Yep....more than a bit nasty. My remarks are directed more to the Chrebetheads, who would rather draft defensive players for which they don&#39; t have roster space than draft a receiver that adds a new dimension to the team.

Wayne-the-whiner for all the contributions he has made can be a source of disruption at the most inoppourtune times. A big physical receiver like Mike Williams or Ernest Wilford would give the Jets the Red Zone Weapon they sorely need.

With the way his production has sagged over the last few seasons Chrebet will be lucky to pull down 50 balls this year. [/b][/quote]
    You are talking about the 3rd receiver position on a team that already has 2 guys who expect to make at least 140 catches between them.

The TEs should catch at least 40, the running backs (Martin, Sowell & Askew) certainly can add another 40 between them.

That totals a conservative 220.

If Pennington averages 16 completions a game (a solid amount in a balanced offensive attack) that&#39;s 256 receptions.

If the 3rd receiver on the team catches 35 balls we will be having a solid season. Chrebet, Carter and a 4th round pick can handle the task. We certainly don&#39;t need a #12 pick to accomplish that task.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    who said we can&#39;t complete more than that

what is this bull**** that theres no space or no need for a WR at #12

there is always space for a superstar&#33;

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sowell proved last season that he is a great recieving threat, he certainly can catch 40 by himself.

Baker or Becht can catch 30-40, who ever&#39;s starting.

Curtis has been a great reciever out of the backfield since day one, he can catch 30.

Moss and McCariens, they&#39;ll have more then 140 between them, Moss last season, if he was starting from day one would have caught 100passess, just look at the stats.

McCariens even as a 2nd reciever can definately catch at least 70-80 balls.

Chrebet if he returns as the 3rd reciever will probably catch 30-40 passes, and throw carter or who ever the 4th reciever is can catch 10-20 passes.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Chad[/i]@Apr 4 2004, 03:00 PM
    [b] who said we can&#39;t complete more than that

there is always space for a superstar&#33; [/b][/quote]

Name 1 team who has invested 2 #1s and a #2 at the WR position.
    We NEED a CB or LB not another "superstar" receiver.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetsD-Mastermind[/i]@Apr 4 2004, 03:08 PM
    [b] Sowell proved last season that he is a great recieving threat, he certainly can catch 40 by himself.

Baker or Becht can catch 30-40, who ever&#39;s starting.

Curtis has been a great reciever out of the backfield since day one, he can catch 30.

Moss and McCariens, they&#39;ll have more then 140 between them, Moss last season, if he was starting from day one would have caught 100passess, just look at the stats.

McCariens even as a 2nd reciever can definately catch at least 70-80 balls.

Chrebet if he returns as the 3rd reciever will probably catch 30-40 passes, and throw carter or who ever the 4th reciever is can catch 10-20 passes. [/b][/quote]
    I was simply being conservative to prove the point that a receiver at #12 is an indulgence we can&#39;t afford.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by HBJet+Apr 4 2004, 03:37 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (HBJet @ Apr 4 2004, 03:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--The Chad[/i]@Apr 4 2004, 03:00 PM

We NEED a CB or LB not another "superstar" receiver. [/b][/quote]
    good, the jets will be the 1st&#33;

if they get MW - moss can walk

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Chad+Apr 4 2004, 04:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (The Chad @ Apr 4 2004, 04:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -HBJet@Apr 4 2004, 03:37 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--The Chad[/i]@Apr 4 2004, 03:00 PM

if they get MW - moss can walk [/b][/quote]
    Pay Moss, he is a big time playmaker, and is a very good wide reciever, people like you knock him becaue he&#39;s 5&#39;10, get over it, size is overrated.

Instead you want to give that type of money to players who have never seen an NFL down, and have never proved themselves on this level, that my friend is stupidity.

Why isn&#39;t Fitzgerald, or all 3 of the Williams&#39; a bust, why not, because you think they&#39;ll be that much a difference maker.

Stop being dumb about this, the JETS have already invest plenty into the wide reciever position, its inane to invest even more when they have many other problems to solve on this team like the lack of F*CKING players making plays on defense.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok here&#39;s my "unbiased Pats fan" opinion.

The Jets are certainly not "set" at receiver. Chrebet very likely could be done and Carter is coming off of a serious knee injury. In addition it is a position where depth comes in handy for several reasons. 1 - injuries. 2 - the importance of 3 and 4 wide receiver sets. With the derth of quality corners in the league, some of the best match-ups you can get are a 3rd or 4th receiver against a nickel corner/safety. The Pats have made a living off of this in recent years and the Jets could do likewise, as they have a QB with the ability to make good, quick decisions. They would be very well served to improve their talent/depth at wr.

However, given that, the Jets would be better off going D in the first. Several reasons.

1. They need a talent upgrade in the back 7.
    2. With several QBs and WRs slotted to go very high, there is bound to be some serios D talent at #12.
    3. Quality WRs can be gotten later in the draft, particularly this year.
    4. Wrs drafted very high are among the most likely to bust. (interesting article: [url=http://www.bookofhook.com/Article/Football/DoSuperstarsComefromtheTo.html]link[/url])
    5. The argument that a defensive player selected in the 1st isn&#39;t likely to play very much this year is retarded. This is football. The odds of even 3/4&#39;s of your starters making it through the season without missing time due to injuries in miniscule. Depth is important&#33; And just because he doesn&#39;t start from day one doesn&#39;t make it a bad pick.

So, to sum up:

WR = yes.
    WR in the first round = no.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Chad+Apr 4 2004, 04:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (The Chad @ Apr 4 2004, 04:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -HBJet@Apr 4 2004, 03:37 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--The Chad[/i]@Apr 4 2004, 03:00 PM

if they get MW - moss can walk [/b][/quote]
    According to your analysis we should let Moss, a player who we traded up to get who is coming off a great season and who is a punt returning threat "walk" so we can draft an unproven rookie WR who has 4.7 speed at the expense of improving our secondary or linebacking corp.