Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is This Herm's Last Chance

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's say the Jets miss the playoffs this year. Will Herm be given another reprieve? I say no. It's do or die for both him and Hackett.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by kyhangdog[/i]@Apr 4 2004, 08:53 AM
    [b] Let's say the Jets miss the playoffs this year. Will Herm be given another reprieve? I say no. It's do or die for both him and Hackett. [/b][/quote]
    The key is not the playoffs, it is the defense. If we still can't stop the run (or anyone on third down) then the problem with th deense was not Cotrell but Edwards.

If our defense plays well and we do better than 6-10 Herm can probably hold on to his job for another year. If the offense is the problem than Hackett may be the scapegoat.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the jury's out on Bradway this year. Another disappointing year with FA/draft and he's toast.

Also, with about 3 passes a game to a 150 lb receiver alone in the flat for no gain and Hackett's gone too. Those plays piss me off.

Sorry if I sound negative, because I'm not. I'm really excited to see Henderson install a Baltimore-like D. With the good depth and good coaching, the linebackers and secondary will be MUCH better this year.

Still concerned about FS. McGraw has not proven anything and has a history of shoulder injuries. Would love to see a good year out of him. Last year was a joke. We went into the year with no back up safeties and look what happened.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think herm has a few more years with this organization, and I think he is safe unless he has a complete meltdown this year and we get less than 6 wins this year. I don't see any reason for giving him a contract extension if this were a make or break year for him.

Bradway on the other hand is on the hot seat IMO. After the horrible offseason last year and the trouble attracting top FA this year, Bradway may be in trouble if they don't make the playofss this year or at least a marked improvement from last year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    were goimg to make the playoffs no mater what

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r: the heat is not on Herm in 2004...it's on bradway......I don't care who our coach was last year.....herm made mistakes but we were just a bad team. Bradway is doing ok so far in the offseason and this current Jets team is much better than what played on the field in 2003.....after the draft, this will probably the fastest Jet team that herm has had in three years...more talented also....the heat is more on Bradway..I think the heat willl be off in 2004 though....I have a good feeling about this Jets 2004 team....I look around and see whats happening around the league (in Miami etc) That also gives me reason to be optimistic.

Regardless if how you feel about Bradway and Herm.....this current Jets team is just better right now.

Herm has issues to address but he is by no means at the bottom of the coaches in this league....far from it.

Bradway has made errors but part of the blame given to him is due to the fact that when u look at the cap issue, it's not all his fault.....a lot of it stems from the Parcells era.....thats over now. I like where we are now going.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetsfreak[/i]@Apr 4 2004, 12:27 PM
    [b] :ph34r: the heat is not on Herm in 2004...it's on bradway......I don't care who our coach was last year.....herm made mistakes but we were just a bad team. Bradway is doing ok so far in the offseason and this current Jets team is much better than what played on the field in 2003.....after the draft, this will probably the fastest Jet team that herm has had in three years...more talented also....the heat is more on Bradway..I think the heat willl be off in 2004 though....I have a good feeling about this Jets 2004 team....I look around and see whats happening around the league (in Miami etc) That also gives me reason to be optimistic.

Regardless if how you feel about Bradway and Herm.....this current Jets team is just better right now.

Herm has issues to address but he is by no means at the bottom of the coaches in this league....far from it.

Bradway has made errors but part of the blame given to him is due to the fact that when u look at the cap issue, it's not all his fault.....a lot of it stems from the Parcells era.....thats over now. I like where we are now going. [/b][/quote]
    I dunno, the current 2004 Jets team looks good on paper, I just don't want to see another 'They have to gel' type season 4-5 games into another losing season/slow start :blink: I'm not going to assess this current roster as being better than last year's roster, until I see it for myself ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r: u are correct but I don't think the team gelling will be a problem...if it is, then the Jets won't be the only team with that problem....look around the league.....look at all the changes.....I just feel this Jets team is much better and we will make the playoffs in 2004.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by MysticalJet[/i]@Apr 4 2004, 10:21 AM
    [b]
    Bradway on the other hand is on the hot seat IMO. After the horrible offseason last year and the trouble attracting top FA this year, Bradway may be in trouble if they don't make the playofss this year or at least a marked improvement from last year.[/b][/quote]
    If Bradway goes Herm is likely to go to if a new GM comes
    in! Except for the Tampa situation this year when the GM
    knew Gruden from the Raiders does a HC get to stay under
    a New GM! I know some think Herm is the next Lombardi, but
    I doubt if a new GM would feel that way... :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by kyhangdog[/i]@Apr 4 2004, 08:53 AM
    [b] Let's say the Jets miss the playoffs this year. Will Herm be given another reprieve? I say no. It's do or die for both him and Hackett. [/b][/quote]
    Uh, here's a hint. Herm was given a contract extension in January. Woody isn't going to eat 3 years remaining on a contract.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Ithink it`s on both HERM & BRADWAY & even if we get 10 wins this year and miss the playoffs like miami did last year this will be thaw staw that breaks both their backs ... and both will be gone....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r: we're not Miami....the Jets will win at least ten games and make the playoffs.....Dolphins fans are still feeling the effects of 2003.....that was their last chance...that team is changing..and not for the better.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only in America, can a man earn 1 million + $'s a year to learn on the job. Then when he fails, he's given a raise and contract extention. Angry

As a coach Herm SUX :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'>

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO Herm has at least two more years left with this organization, firing Herm next year would be a bad idea because I think if the coach goes so does Pennington.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]Only in America, can a man earn 1 million + $'s a year to learn on the job. Then when he fails, he's given a raise and contract extention.

As a coach Herm SUX[/b][/quote]

What a crock of sheeet! Herm is not "Learning" anymore, and likely only was learning early in his first season, as ALL new head coaches do.

Herm is an average to good HC and a Damn Good motivator. Other coaches (and I could list dozens) would have led the JETS, OUR Jets, to records much worse than Herm has. Players DO play harder for Herm, like it or not, and Herm kept the Jets old, slow, fat, WEALTHY players (all inherited from that backstabbing two-faced "God" Parcells, BTW) from simply giving up each season. Thank God we have gotton rid of most of those players now.

Back on topic:

Herm is almost completely safe in 2004, with any situation beyond a 4-12 (or worse) Nightmare Season allowing him to stay on for 2005. Bradway, on the other hand, and the players he has aquired, are the ones on the Hot Seat. Hackett's offense is the one on the Hotseat too, perhaps even more so that Bradway.

If the Jets O sucks it up in 2004, Hackett is done, no matter the teams record. If the Team does average, but Bradways FA'a and Draft picks do not do well, he will also be gone.

That's how I see it, as it all stands right now.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guessing about it in April is pointless.You really don't know what Johnson thinks. You do know that Edwards had sharp if indirect words for Johnson after a slow start last SEptember. If they get off to another awful start and don't make the playoffs, all bets are off. You really don't know one way or the other. Result will tell.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's no doubt Bradway's in the hot seat this year. Despite not acquiring Winfield and McGraw (which were both out of his control) Bradway has done a nice job of making this team younger, faster, and most of all, he didn't eat up too much cap space while doing it. Let's see how he manuvers the team through the upcoming draft.

As for Hackett. Well let's just say that if it weren't for Pennington, he'd be out on the street sucking d*ck for beer money. His schemes are so damn predictable and he doesn't understand how to make EFFECTIVE half time adjustments. I think he'll start the season on fire and then the opposition will figure him out and the offense will become vanilla once again. I hope this doesn't come true, but the reality of the situation is worth noting.

It'll be either Bradway or Hackett, if we have another poor season.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem I have with Bradway and to a lesser extent, Herm, is their apparent low expectations. In the most recent addition of Jets Confidential Bradway admits that they might have become "complacent" from making the playoffs 2 out of the 3 years... ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Were they watching the same team as the rest of us??? You know, the team that couldn't stop the run the last 3 years, with linebackers slower than dirt, no decent receiver taller than 5'11, slow corners...etc, etc, etc. HOW ON EARTH CAN YOU BE COMPLACENT?? :blink: That statement goes a long way to explaining the Coles and Morton fiascos...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]The problem I have with Bradway and to a lesser extent, Herm, is their apparent low expectations. In the most recent addition of Jets Confidential Bradway admits that they might have become "complacent" from making the playoffs 2 out of the 3 years... ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Were they watching the same team as the rest of us??? You know, the team that couldn't stop the run the last 3 years, with linebackers slower than dirt, no decent receiver taller than 5'11, slow corners...etc, etc, etc. HOW ON EARTH CAN YOU BE COMPLACENT?? That statement goes a long way to explaining the Coles and Morton fiascos...
    [/b][/quote]

Lord, THAT statement, of so-called "complacentcy" is such a crock a crap. Success breeds complacentcy, and the Bradway/Edwards regime WAS successful and likely thought they were better than they were (or at least younger than they were). THAT is waht they are talking about, not what you all seem to think.

Seems many a foum-ite here things this comment meant that Bradway and Edwards were lounging poolside al offseason, and hell the preseason too, just hanging out, drinking margarities and of course, eating BBQ, right guys, BBQ BBQ BBQ!

That is so NOT the case it's funny. By "Complacent" they do not mean they did not try to improve the team or make changes for the better. they simply overestimated how good they were, how good the players they let go of were (vs. their replacements). While this IS a bad thing, it is NOT the situation you all are making it out to be.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Apr 4 2004, 04:09 PM
    [b]That is so NOT the case it's funny. By "Complacent" they do not mean they did not try to improve the team or make changes for the better. they simply overestimated how good they were, how good the players they let go of were (vs. their replacements). While this IS a bad thing, it is NOT the situation you all are making it out to be.[/b][/quote]
    TB and Herm if they had a clue would have tried to put their
    Stamp on the Team in the first year..But knowing they had
    taken over a good Jet Team that 2 years before was a Super
    Bowl Favorite, they decided to ride with the prior regime's
    Success!! Herm never gives his young players a chance to
    Win a job just like when he said no matter what happens in
    Camp Vinny is the starter! That to me is plain stupid! Every
    player wants to try his best in hope of winning a starting
    position,but not in Hermie's "Safe World" where the Veterans
    Roam and Rookies can't find a Home!! :P