Thread: Teddy C. with younger players?

Rookie
    I was just thinking about how Teddy mentioned a number of times how he guessed right what the offense was going to do only to have our defense either not not be able to get to the play or not be able to make a tackle. I for one think the F.O. should've kept Teddy and then gotten new players just to see what would've happened. It's clear he has a great mind for defense, I think the players let him down...........sorry if this was already posted I haven't been around much lately

Gov

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: He's with the Vikings now...henderson is our DC......thats the key right now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Teddy was handcuffed by trying to do a Tampa style Defense
    when we didn't have the players for that! If Teddy is allowed
    to run what he see's best for the Vikes he'll be fine! And if Hendu
    is left alone by Herm I think our D will be much improved! Herm
    should stick to making speeches and let the Coaches that know
    Football Coach! ;)

Hall Of Fame
    It's true that Cotrell got a raw deal, but that is the way things go. The Jets organization and fans cant even worry about Teddy C, and must stay focused on following Henderson. If Cotrell does well in Minnesota (which he can) fans cant start complaining about the Jets letting him go.

Cotrell is gone, the Jets moved and so should we

all that aside Teddy's defense was getting sloppier and sloppier every season

it was a negative trend -

we can talk about tampa-style systems or injuries or whatever but tackling is tackling.

Also don't forget Teddy LOVED DL coach ruben brown, probably the worst DL coach in the league.

All League
    The type of defense we want to play, and have the players we have are not made for TedC.

He was a bad fit, and it's time to move on. I just hope Donnie knows how to utilize our strengths and turn around our pathetic Defense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Apr 4 2004, 04:59 PM
    [b]
    Also don't forget Teddy LOVED DL coach ruben brown, probably the worst DL coach in the league.[/b][/quote]
    Bit?? Don't you mean Ruben Carter?? :blink:

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69+Apr 4 2004, 06:22 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (savage69 @ Apr 4 2004, 06:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--bitonti[/i]@Apr 4 2004, 04:59 PM
    [b]
    Also don&#39;t forget Teddy LOVED DL coach ruben brown, probably the worst DL coach in the league.[/b][/quote]
    Bit?? Don&#39;t you mean Ruben Carter?? :blink: [/b][/quote]
    That would be Ruben "summer breeze" Carter, our former DL coach as opposed to Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, the former boxer and inmate. :D

TomShane
    Ted = Herman&#39;s Scapegoat.

Banned
    I&#39;d rather have Donnie Henderson. I want an aggressive, attacking defense, not a give up 19 straight rushing plays for a touchdown defense.

Ted was hung out to dry by Herman Edwards - I hope what goes around comes around when Herm is next looking for a job.

Having said that, the team needed a complete overhaul, and it had become obvious that the Cover Who just wasn&#39;t an aggressive enough offense. The Cottrell/Henderson decision was a good one in my book, but to blame Teddy for the failings of an aging D with lack of ability was poor show from Mr Motivator.

Jets Insider VIP
    I agree with SAVAGE&#33; teddy was a scapegoat hampered by a hard headed HERM who insisted on a cover 2 knowing that he did not have the players to [play it&#33; Angry

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by infoxicated[/i]@Apr 5 2004, 04:42 AM
    [b]
    Ted was hung out to dry by Herman Edwards. [/b][/quote]

Classy move by the man of great character.

Instead of accepting responsibility, he goes and finds a scapegoat so he can continue with his excuses.

Won&#39;t be any different this year.

Mark my words Minnesota will win the NFC this year, Mike Tice is an up and coming coach,who is a great motivator. There defense has alot of talent with guys like Chris Hovan,Kevin Williams, EJ HEnderson, Chris Claiborne, Winfield, Chavious, Russell and some others. Then on offense they&#39;ll have a healthy Mike Bennent all season as well as to great backups in Onterrio Smith and Mo Williams. Culpepper improves every year and they also signed Marcus Robsinson, and of course they have All-World WR Randy Moss.

[quote][i]Originally posted by infoxicated[/i]@Apr 5 2004, 04:42 AM
    [b]

Having said that, the team needed a complete overhaul, and it had become obvious that the Cover Who just wasn&#39;t an aggressive enough offense. [/b][/quote]
    What, so Ted&#39;s D was aweful because Herm told him he wanted the safeties to play zone rather than man to man coverage? Did you really want to see S Garnes trying to cover a slot reciver man to man?? Cover 2 means the Safeties play a zone. The rest of the D was up to T Cotrell. The fact that players can&#39;t tackle is Cotrell&#39;s fault. The fact that players can&#39;t cover is Cotrell&#39;s fault. If the reason that they stink is the quality of the players, then that is the GM&#39;s fault. But I hardly think that the D would have been wonderful had the Safeties not played zone. Hell we would have probably bee a hell of alot worse had we played man to man. I could just see the eyes of Peyton Manning if he saw Brandon Stokely running 1 on 1 with S Garnes. He would probably be laughing histerically when he threw the ball.