Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: JETS TRADE . . . almost (?) ~ ~ ~

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    dunwoody, ga ! !
    Posts
    14,211
    ~ ~ ~ Life after Clinton
    ~ ~ . . . A well-placed source insisted the Jets had a deal worked out with the Redskins for Bailey at the scouting combine in Inidanapolis before the Broncos got involved. The source said the Redskins were ready to close the deal, but the Jets hesitated. Then Denver offered Portis. The Jets would have traded their first-round pick (12th overall), TE Anthony Becht and RB LaMont Jordan for Bailey and a backup player. At the time, it was the best offer the Redskins had. But once Portis was mentioned, the Jets had no shot. GM Terry Bradway said he "never felt" all he had to do was say yes to get Bailey.

    Originally published on April 3, 2004
    Gary Myers / Daily News sports columnist

    > [url=http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/story/180232p-156617c.html]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football...2p-156617c.html[/url]

  2. #2
    wow, very interesting

    do u think he would be worth that much?

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn/Austin
    Posts
    2,712
    Personally, I feel that would've been worth it. The only issue is paying him all that money to be a corner, but comparing that the more recent offer, which included Ellis...that was a pretty good deal.

    Its hard to find proven shut down corners, and to get one for a draft pick, a bad receiving TE, and an unproven running back is worth it IMO

  4. #4
    the one w/ ellis was sick! i would rather keep the #12 pick

  5. #5
    That would've been INCREDIBLE!

  6. #6
    That would have been a ridiculously good deal for the Jets. How do you even heistate before making that deal?

  7. #7
    Bradway is a buffoon. The ONLY reason he got the job is because that fat f*ck Parcells recommended him.

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    4,146
    C'mon...

    Bailey got a 7yr/$63 mill deal from Denver with an $18 mill SB and another $5 mill in roster bonuses.

    Where the hell were we gonna fit that under OUR cap, while still not losing Ellis, Abraham and/or Pennington? It would also make the loss of Santana possible as a RFA next year (I think...since this will be his 4th year).

    We need a TEAM, not ONE player...between Bailey's contract, Vinny's impending hit and needing to sign Penny, Ellis and Abraham, not taking Bailey was the right choice.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Pembroke Pines, Florida
    Posts
    5,937
    You know what they say, he who [b]hesitates[/b] is lost.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,629
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Greenwave81[/i]@Apr 4 2004, 07:49 PM
    [b] C'mon...

    Bailey got a 7yr/$63 mill deal from Denver with an $18 mill SB and another $5 mill in roster bonuses.

    Where the hell were we gonna fit that under OUR cap, while still not losing Ellis, Abraham and/or Pennington? It would also make the loss of Santana possible as a RFA next year (I think...since this will be his 4th year).

    We need a TEAM, not ONE player...between Bailey's contract, Vinny's impending hit and needing to sign Penny, Ellis and Abraham, not taking Bailey was the right choice. [/b][/quote]
    I agree

  11. #11
    Jets could have turned around and traded one of their DE's for a high pick if they were worried about paying everyone. A great corner like Bailey is difficult to find. I've heard some talk that he wasn't that great last year but he was playing on a team with ZERO pass rush. He would have been worth the money, and certainly worth the #12 pick, a backup RB, and a mediocre TE. Oh yeah, he's only 25.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,568
    :ph34r: earth to eggheads.....I look at the posts and all I see is "the source said this..the source said that" Thats a bunch of croc...if it was true you don't think it would not be on TV with Chris Mortensen/John Clayton etc??????

    Where did this source come from...where are the facts???? Just something else to stir up bullcrap about Bradway....sheesh the man is having a decent off season......whats past is past.

    Before u cast judgement...why don't get some facts instead of listening to some unamed source! :lol:

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,568
    :ph34r: scrizzy u said you "heard" that he was not that great last year because he was playing behind zero pass rush??? Hmmmm Barrett is far from Bailey but he also played behind a d-line that was worse than the skins...he had a decent year...he is no Bailey but he's a bina fide starting DB.

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Raleigh, N.C.
    Posts
    2,411
    can not be true.........

    if so, then woody should fire bradway yesterday for even hesitating to pull the trigger......

  15. #15
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Greenwave81[/i]@Apr 4 2004, 07:49 PM
    [b] C'mon...

    Bailey got a 7yr/$63 mill deal from Denver with an $18 mill SB and another $5 mill in roster bonuses.

    Where the hell were we gonna fit that under OUR cap, while still not losing Ellis, Abraham and/or Pennington? It would also make the loss of Santana possible as a RFA next year (I think...since this will be his 4th year).

    We need a TEAM, not ONE player...between Bailey's contract, Vinny's impending hit and needing to sign Penny, Ellis and Abraham, not taking Bailey was the right choice. [/b][/quote]
    Right on, you can't mortgage the teams future for a CB. I dont care how good he is. 9-mil a season plus all those players? I dont think its worth it.

  16. #16
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetsfreak[/i]@Apr 5 2004, 12:39 AM
    [b] :ph34r: scrizzy u said you "heard" that he was not that great last year because he was playing behind zero pass rush??? Hmmmm Barrett is far from Bailey but he also played behind a d-line that was worse than the skins...he had a decent year...he is no Bailey but he's a bina fide starting DB. [/b][/quote]
    no, I said I heard talk that he wasn't that great, but in my opinion it's bull. He was playing on a crap defense. But he has proven in the past that he is a great corner. Barrett has proven nothing except that the homerism of certain fans knows no blounds.

  17. #17
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Cirencester ENGLAND Capital of the Cotswolds
    Posts
    168
    Thank god the deal didn't go through.

    Champ is a star CB who raises the level of any D# he plays on but, that price was too high.

    Some people need to give credit to the Front office for not making trades that will destroy our team in later years (cap wise)

    The jets need to create playmakers (thru coaching) not over pay for other teams top players.

  18. #18
    Maxman
    Guest
    You guys ever figure out if Kelly is a guy or a girl?

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    dunwoody, ga ! !
    Posts
    14,211
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Maxman[/i]@Apr 5 2004, 10:43 AM
    [b]You guys ever figure out if Kelly is a guy or a girl?[/b][/quote]
    Maxman : > [url=http://content.collegehumor.com/img/u/uglybabe.jpg]http://content.collegehumor.com/img/u/uglybabe.jpg[/url]

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    dunwoody, ga ! !
    Posts
    14,211
    when driving, be sure to take the
    correct exit(s) : [url=http://content.collegehumor.com/img/w/weed-exit.jpg]http://content.collegehumor.com/img/w/weed-exit.jpg[/url]

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us