Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one against WR in the first?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have any of you learned nothing from our northern neighbors? We don't need a star WR in the first, that'd be a COMPLETE waste of a pick. I'd rather reach for Teddy Lehman at #12 then take a WR. Ok ok, if Fitzgerald is there that's the ONLY way I use this pick on WR otherwise we need to stay clear of that position until possibly the 4th or 5th.

The goal isn't to gather a bunch of superstars it is to form a team and stacking the WR position is no way of doing that. We need help on defense desperately, same with O-Line.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jetlag[/i]@Apr 4 2004, 10:38 PM
    [b] Have any of you learned nothing from our northern neighbors? We don't need a star WR in the first, that'd be a COMPLETE waste of a pick. I'd rather reach for Teddy Lehman at #12 then take a WR. Ok ok, if Fitzgerald is there that's the ONLY way I use this pick on WR otherwise we need to stay clear of that position until possibly the 4th or 5th.

The goal isn't to gather a bunch of superstars it is to form a team and stacking the WR position is no way of doing that. We need help on defense desperately, same with O-Line. [/b][/quote]
    AGREED.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    here's the million dollar question, im going to break it down for you why a WR is needed

- He could be the BAP at 12, hall or wilfork would be the D BAP
    - Our franchise is Penny, build the team around him!

here the biggest point:

- Is Moss really a true #1, b/c he's def. looking for #1 money, if you think he is THAT good - then sure draft D, our core is set
    - But, if your like me, and want to see JMac and a better WR to see Moss walk and get a pick for him then there is never going to b a better time than now. Roy or Mike, any other year are top 5 picks. Top 5 at #12 - sounds damn good!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a year when the BAP is more than likely going to be a WR

A month or so ago.....we would have been luck to get Reggie Williams

Now....he's just avbout a lock.

Take the player that will solidify our passing attack fo years to come.

I'd be happy to have a shot at Reggie, Roy, Mike....we'd have an awesome offense...NOW!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    THAT'S THE THINKING!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I just have a funny feeling Reggie Williams is this years Jerry Rice

This Years Dan Marino

Know what I mean.......not the first at his position to be drafted.....but may be the best of the bunch!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    hey, check my avatar, it hasn't changed all season

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Chad[/i]@Apr 4 2004, 10:45 PM
    [b] here's the million dollar question, im going to break it down for you why a WR is needed

- He could be the BAP at 12, hall or wilfork would be the D BAP
    - Our franchise is Penny, build the team around him!

here the biggest point:

- Is Moss really a true #1, b/c he's def. looking for #1 money, if you think he is THAT good - then sure draft D, our core is set
    - But, if your like me, and want to see JMac and a better WR to see Moss walk and get a pick for him then there is never going to b a better time than now. Roy or Mike, any other year are top 5 picks. Top 5 at #12 - sounds damn good! [/b][/quote]
    No I'm going to break it down for you.

Pay Moss his money, he is a legit starter and a known commodity. What if BAP happened to be QB, we obviously wouldn't take one, you can't ALWAYS go by BAP, it's a case to case basis. The fact is BAP is a better strategy later in the draft when the players talents become quite noticible and instead of reaching for a position of need you take talent. In the first even some of the second you can reach a bit because the talent level isn't much of a drop off.

You're right Penny is our franchise, but he doesn't need a first round WR, he has 2 very capable WR's right now. If you want to truly build around him start with the offensive line. Sure they aren't the big names but those are the guys you want to have plenty of talent. They'll give Chad the time to hit Donald Duck at WR.

How do you know what type of money Moss' looking for? Let's wait and see what type of a contract he wants. I'm sure Chad would love to have him back as they just began having some chemistry last year.

Who cares what selection they are any other year, you seem to have pigeon holed yourself into this way of thinking. This is 2004, where there are many good WR's who can be gotten much later and who still have a lot of potential.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JonEJet[/i]@Apr 4 2004, 10:47 PM
    [b] I'd be happy to have a shot at Reggie, Roy, Mike....we'd have an awesome offense...NOW!! [/b][/quote]
    We would not have an awesome offense now. I bet no more then 1 of the first round WR's cracks 1000 in their first season. One will barely do it maybe like 1050 yards.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JonEJet[/i]@Apr 4 2004, 10:53 PM
    [b] I just have a funny feeling Reggie Williams is this years Jerry Rice

This Years Dan Marino

Know what I mean.......not the first at his position to be drafted.....but may be the best of the bunch!! [/b][/quote]
    Gotta go with Rashuan Woods on that one..

but I would be more than happy with reggie williams..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    penny would also be happy would a 6'5" 230 mofo who towers over the whole defense

did u see Moss on the last play of the Pat game in traffic? he looked like some staring into gunhole, now imagine MW in that position - he wouldnt even need to jump to catch that s**t, just put his hands up

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Chad[/i]@Apr 4 2004, 11:06 PM
    [b] penny would also be happy would a 6'5" 230 mofo who towers over the whole defense

did u see Moss on the last play of the Pat game in traffic? he looked like some staring into gunhole, now imagine MW in that position - he wouldnt even need to jump to catch that s**t, just put his hands up [/b][/quote]
    You think he would be better then Randy Moss or Terrel Owens? How many Super bowls have they been to?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i dont see the point here:

jets are a much better overall team than the niners and vikings - especially in the coaching dep't
    and the other thing manning to harrison - thanks for bringing that up LOOK HOW FAR THEY GOT W/ A s**t DEF. they were one of the best teams in the NFL last year and would of went all the way if they played inside their house instead of the snow (all based on that 4th down play)

but do me a favor, hotshot, how many super bowls has jerry rice gone to?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]Pay Moss his money, he is a legit starter and a known commodity. [/b][/quote]

While I DO like Moss (even though it may seem I don't), I take difference to THAT statement:

A WR who, in his three years, has spent TWO years mostly on Injured Reserve or on the Bench, and One year (just one) having a solid #1 WR kind-of-year, is NOT, in ANY way, a know entity.

It is just as likely, given Moss's size, speed & leg injury history, that he will be on IR again for a good portion of THIS year.

It is also a possibillity that J.McCareins (as a taller, more physical and also very fast WR) will outshine Moss in the West Coast O, leaving us overpaying big time for a small, fast but injury prone #2 WR.....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Chad[/i]@Apr 4 2004, 11:11 PM
    [b] i dont see the point here:

jets are a much better overall team than the niners and vikings - especially in the coaching dep't
    and the other thing manning to harrison - thanks for bringing that up LOOK HOW FAR THEY GOT W/ A s**t DEF. they were one of the best teams in the NFL last year and would of went all the way if they played inside their house instead of the snow (all based on that 4th down play)

but do me a favor, hotshot, how many super bowls has jerry rice gone to? [/b][/quote]
    The Jets are a much better overall team than the niners and the Vikes? What Jets team were you watching? Colts defense wasn't s*** last year they were average and if they were a better team during the regular season they would have been playing that game in Indy. Who's to say that Colts beat NE if they play in the RCA Dome, that's certainly not a definite.

Once again the point of this whole thing is not to just get far but to actually WIN the Super Bowl. I forget you'd rather have a bunch of Pro-Bowlers who didn't get a sniff of the big game.

Don't compare Jerry Rice to anyone in this draft, that's a complete insult. I know you didn't literally say that but I'm reading between the lines, because you're essentially saying "When whichever WR we take turns into Jerry Rice then we can go to the SB." Although I'm sure you forgot a few things, 1) The niners had a very good defense 2) They also cheated on the salary cap.

Got that "Hotshot".

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Apr 4 2004, 11:16 PM
    [b] [quote][b]Pay Moss his money, he is a legit starter and a known commodity. [/b][/quote]

While I DO like Moss (even though it may seem I don't), I take difference to THAT statement:

A WR who, in his three years, has spent TWO years mostly on Injured Reserve or on the Bench, and One year (just one) having a solid #1 WR kind-of-year, is NOT, in ANY way, a know entity.

It is just as likely, given Moss's size, speed & leg injury history, that he will be on IR again for a good portion of THIS year.

It is also a possibillity that J.McCareins (as a taller, more physical and also very fast WR) will outshine Moss in the West Coast O, leaving us overpaying big time for a small, fast but injury prone #2 WR..... [/b][/quote]
    Moss has taken the same steps and is on the same learning curve as Coles, IMO. He's much more of a known entity then some rookie WR who will take 2-3 years to pan out even if he isn't a bust.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jetlag[/i]@Apr 4 2004, 10:38 PM
    [b] Have any of you learned nothing from our northern neighbors? [/b][/quote]
    screw the northern neighbors - just cause they won the SB on smoke and mirrors doesn't mean that's the only way to win a SB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti+Apr 4 2004, 11:36 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (bitonti @ Apr 4 2004, 11:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jetlag[/i]@Apr 4 2004, 10:38 PM
    screw the northern neighbors - just cause they won the SB on smoke and mirrors doesn&#39;t mean that&#39;s the only way to win a SB. [/b][/quote]
    Ok so then what about our friends to the south? Both the Panthers and Bucs, same deal. C&#39;mon bro, you know that stocking up at WR will not get us a championship.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti+Apr 4 2004, 11:36 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (bitonti @ Apr 4 2004, 11:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jetlag[/i]@Apr 4 2004, 10:38 PM
    screw the northern neighbors - just cause they won the SB on smoke and mirrors doesn&#39;t mean that&#39;s the only way to win a SB. [/b][/quote]
    Never been done without a superior defense.