Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How the Jets will trade down...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone here would love it if the Jets could somehow trade down from their #12 spot and recoup their second round pick. The question has been who would want to trade up and why.

I think the biggest reason anyone would want to trade up, would be for Mike Williams (if he falls to #12). With the Jets grabbing JMac with our second round pick, I would be absolutely SHOCKED if the Jets grabbed another WR with the #12 overall, waiting until the 3rd round to start drafting defense. With the Bills right after the Jets, everyone would know that if they didn't trade up, M. Williams would be gone by #13.

Two possible teams that might want to trade up for Mike Williams are the 49ers and the Broncos.

[u]49ers:[/u] With the departure of both TO and Tai Streets, the 49ers are hard pressed to find an impact WR. The 49ers are already looking at Reggie Williams at #16, but given the opportunity to draft Mike Williams, the 49ers might want to jump ahead of the Bills. If this scenario were to take place, the 49ers would package their 3rd round pick and the #16 overall pick to the Jets for the #12 (based on the draft value chart).

[u]Broncos:[/u] Rod Smith is 34, Eddie Mac retired, Ashley Lelie has become what they had hoped. Both TE and WR are big areas of need this offseason. With the added pick that they received from Washington, they might be looking to trade up. If they traded the second round pick from Washington (#37 overall) with their first round pick (#24), we would have to throw in a 4th round pick. If they decided to package their own second round pick (#56 overall) the deal would have the Jets #12 overall for the Broncos 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks.

Personally I would love it if the Jets could land the #24 and #37 overall picks for our 1st rounder. I know many here would hate to pass on Mike Williams, but he just may be the best thing to generate a trade out of the #12 position.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Williams is there at 12, we HAVE to get him. He would be a nightmare for us for years on the same team as Moulds. It is highly doubtful we can get a GAMECHANGER in the 2nd or 3rd round. Possible, yes, but doubtful. More likely it will be a good player or possibly a career back up. Regardless of the position, if a guy of that caliber is available, you MUST take him. We can survive without a 2nd round pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    everyone wants to gain extra picks..but not at the expense of losing a great player..extra picks mean nothing if they don't pan out..
    of all the draft picks we've had over the years what 2nd rounders have been good..
    we all think Hobson is a player but who knows..

alex van dyke (31 overall)
    Rick terry
    dorian boose
    jon mcgraw.

losing roy williams or sean taylor just to recoup a second rd pick is poor logic..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by MickeyShuler[/i]@Apr 5 2004, 03:48 PM
    [b] If Williams is there at 12, we HAVE to get him. He would be a nightmare for us for years on the same team as Moulds. It is highly doubtful we can get a GAMECHANGER in the 2nd or 3rd round. Possible, yes, but doubtful. More likely it will be a good player or possibly a career back up. Regardless of the position, if a guy of that caliber is available, you MUST take him. We can survive without a 2nd round pick. [/b][/quote]
    With the lack of depth at practically every defensive postition, The Jets can't afford to start drafting "D" with their 3rd round pick. I'm not saying pass on Mike Williams so that the Bills can grab him. What I'm saying is that rather draft WR in the first two rounds of the draft, we will be able to use Mike Williams as trade bait.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If anyone thinks Taylor & Roy are dropping to twelve they are sadly mistaken.

Mike Williams draft status depends on 2 things:
    1-If he is even aloud to be drafted.
    2-If he has a excellent or even good workout day this Thursday he will be long gone before 12.

I still think and hope we trade out of 12 to something closer to 20, try and grab Vilma or Williams, and regain a 2nd round pick in the process.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    so who will take roy w and sean t since everyone thinks they'll be gone..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Apr 5 2004, 05:03 PM
    [b] so who will take roy w and sean t since everyone thinks they'll be gone.. [/b][/quote]
    Everyone is going by this new nfl.com Mock..

Robinson and Hall will NO WAY go before Taylor.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jet Addict SouthFL+Apr 5 2004, 04:04 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Jet Addict SouthFL @ Apr 5 2004, 04:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--bman[/i]@Apr 5 2004, 05:03 PM
    [b] so who will take roy w and sean t since everyone thinks they&#39;ll be gone.. [/b][/quote]

Robinson and Hall will NO WAY go before Taylor. [/b][/quote]
    First of all I&#39;m not going by the NFL mock draft. I too believe that Sean Taylor and Roy Williams will be long gone before our pick. What I do believe might happen is Mike Williams slips. A lot of teams are not happy with his 40 time and says he&#39;s gotten lazy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Miracle In The Meadowlands+Apr 5 2004, 05:07 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Miracle In The Meadowlands @ Apr 5 2004, 05:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -Jet Addict SouthFL@Apr 5 2004, 04:04 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--bman[/i]@Apr 5 2004, 05:03 PM
    [b] so who will take roy w and sean t since everyone thinks they&#39;ll be gone.. [/b][/quote]

Robinson and Hall will NO WAY go before Taylor. [/b][/quote]
    First of all I&#39;m not going by the NFL mock draft. I too believe that Sean Taylor and Roy Williams will be long gone before our pick. What I do believe might happen is Mike Williams slips. A lot of teams are not happy with his 40 time and says he&#39;s gotten lazy. [/b][/quote]
    Thats all rumor, no one has seen him run anything because he hasn&#39;t run. This Thursday in TAMPA at USF I believe he is having his pro-day. That will tell us if she slips or not.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We&#39;ll soon find out indeed...

[url=http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/story?id=1771912]USC soph is last top WR prospect to run[/url]

USC WR Mike Williams has pushed his individual workout back from April 6 to April 8, and instead of working out on campus in Southern California, Williams will work out near his home at the University of South Florida in Tampa, where he has been training nearby since making his decision to go pro.

After Pittsburgh&#39;s Larry Fitzgerald ran a 4.47 at 221 pounds and Texas&#39; Roy Williams ran a 4.37 at 211 pounds, the pressure is on the USC sophomore to have a strong workout. He is the biggest of the three receivers, and if he can run right around 4.50 he will make the decision for NFL teams even more difficult than it is right now. However, if he runs worse than a 4.55, he could easily slip down to the third receiver taken.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by MickeyShuler[/i]@Apr 5 2004, 04:48 PM
    [b] If Williams is there at 12, we HAVE to get him. He would be a nightmare for us for years on the same team as Moulds. It is highly doubtful we can get a GAMECHANGER in the 2nd or 3rd round. Possible, yes, but doubtful. More likely it will be a good player or possibly a career back up. Regardless of the position, if a guy of that caliber is available, you MUST take him. We can survive without a 2nd round pick. [/b][/quote]
    The Bills would likely take either Reggie Williams or Mike Williams, I don&#39;t see why people are flipping out over drafting Mike Williams because the Bills might get him, when they would probably get the better prospect out of the two in Reggie Williams.

The JETS need playmakers on defense, believe it not, all they need at reciever is more young depth, but in no way should they blow a first round pick on one.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Miracle In The Meadowlands[/i]@Apr 5 2004, 05:22 PM
    [b] We&#39;ll soon find out indeed...

[url=http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/story?id=1771912]USC soph is last top WR prospect to run[/url]

USC WR Mike Williams has pushed his individual workout back from April 6 to April 8, and instead of working out on campus in Southern California, Williams will work out near his home at the University of South Florida in Tampa, where he has been training nearby since making his decision to go pro.

After Pittsburgh&#39;s Larry Fitzgerald ran a 4.47 at 221 pounds and Texas&#39; Roy Williams ran a 4.37 at 211 pounds, the pressure is on the USC sophomore to have a strong workout. He is the biggest of the three receivers, and if he can run right around 4.50 he will make the decision for NFL teams even more difficult than it is right now. However, if he runs worse than a 4.55, he could easily slip down to the third receiver taken. [/b][/quote]
    Roy Williams has surpassed Mike Williams, Mike is already the 3rd ranked reciever.

Mike won&#39;t run a 4.5, at 235, he ran a 4.65 on a fast track at USC, recently he wieghed in at 245, which has to drop his speed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Apr 5 2004, 04:52 PM
    [b] everyone wants to gain extra picks..but not at the expense of losing a great player..extra picks mean nothing if they don&#39;t pan out..
    of all the draft picks we&#39;ve had over the years what 2nd rounders have been good..
    we all think Hobson is a player but who knows..

alex van dyke (31 overall)
    Rick terry
    dorian boose
    jon mcgraw.

losing roy williams or sean taylor just to recoup a second rd pick is poor logic.. [/b][/quote]
    Wow - There is some great use of the second round. And I thought we only screwed up our first round picks?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really have to wait and see if Taylor drops

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well what should the Jets do if they can&#39;t trade down? If that is not an option I can&#39;t see what good could come of passing on Mike Williams, most likely picking defense would be a reach at that position. I honestly don&#39;t think there is anyway the Jets will go WR in round 1 but if in that position they should.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is all this talk about Taylor dropping? Did I miss something or didn&#39;t the Pats already make a deal with the Lions to trade up contingent upon Taylor being available. I read it on the site with a link to the Globe last week and I read it on ESPN Insider, as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the Jets have no takers for the #12 pick, they will most likely have their choice of the best available CB or LB. Even though many say that it may be a reach at #12, if the Jets feel that they found the best of the lot at either position I wouldn&#39;t be mad at them. Personally, I like Vilma being groomed to take over the middle LB position. I&#39;ve got a really good feeling about him. His instincts remind me of Ray Lewis.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by mayo32382[/i]@Apr 5 2004, 05:25 PM
    [b] What is all this talk about Taylor dropping? Did I miss something or didn&#39;t the Pats already make a deal with the Lions to trade up contingent upon Taylor being available. I read it on the site with a link to the Globe last week and I read it on ESPN Insider, as well. [/b][/quote]
    Both sides have denied the report...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every team denies every deal they make until it comes to fruition for the sake of keeping themselves clear of getting slapped in the face if something goes wrong with the deal. I would be willing to bet that its going to happen.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    yah