Thread: Where's the outrage now Democrats?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Sen. Robert Byrd, the longstanding Democrat from West Virginia, cast his 17,000th vote in the chamber last week. Sen. Chris Dodd (D-Conn.) saw fit to mark the occasion with a rousing tribute in which he proclaimed, "There is no one I admire more. There is no one to whom I listen more closely and carefully when he speaks on any subject matter than Sen. Byrd."

For obvious reasons, Dodd neglected to mention that Byrd is a former Grand Kleagle of the Ku Klux Klan. Nor did Dodd dwell on the fact that Byrd voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 or that Byrd broadcast his racial insensitivity by using the N-word during a 2001 appearance on Fox News.

Instead, Dodd simply praised the former Klansman from West Virginia as a gifted legislator and a stout defender of the Constitution.

This is somewhat puzzling considering that when Sen. Trent Lott remarked that the country would have been better off if former segregationist Strom Thurmond had won his 1948 bid for presidency, the Democrats demanded his ouster. And rightly so. Lott's racially-insensitive remarks were indicative of his upbringing in "a time and a place" that regarded blacks as inferior. Lott's remarks suggested that he just didn't get it, that he had no ability to truly empathize with what it means to be a minority in this country. The Democrats understood this. Flanked by the Congressional Black Caucus, they pumped their fists at Lott and demanded that he vacate his post.

Yet, they say nothing when one of their own praises a former Klansman. They haven't even asked Dodd to issue an apology. This is an outrage. Some things should not be explained away, like Byrd's affiliation with an organization that has a long history of hanging blacks from trees.

And yet, there is Dodd, on the Senate floor, demanding that Sen. Byrd "would have been a great senator at any moment. He would have been right at the founding of this country. He would have been in the leadership crafting this Constitution. He would have been right during the great conflict of civil war in this Nation. ."

Really? A former Klansman would have been great during the Civil War? Great for whom? I'm not aware of many Klansmen who fought to free the slaves, or to uphold the union or to protect basic rights.

Had a Republican praised a former member of the Ku Klux Klan, the Democrats would have been up in arms. But when one of their own makes racially-insensitive remarks, they avert their eyes. Some things should not be ignored. Some things should not be subject to the whims of partisan politics. When our elected leaders spew racist remarks, they need to be held accountable - regardless of their political affiliation.

It would be nice if the party that demanded Sen. Lott's ouster for praising a former segregationist could be equally outraged when one of their own praises a former Klansman. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the Democrats to end their double standard on race.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [img]http://www.library.csi.cuny.edu/dept/history/lavender/graphics/birth.gif[/img]

"Wake up, White people!" :lol: :o :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Greaty point and well put!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    his history aside he's a good senator... also this is old old news... why should we talk about the 35 Americans dead in Iraq in the last week and literally thousands with life changing inuries since the war began when we can talk about Senator Byrd and his klan or Richard Clarke wanting to sell a book... what's next more outrage about steroids in baseball?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Trent Lott says something at Strom's birthday and gets killed
    on a Daily Basis by the Major Media the NY Times but no one
    says Booo now?? Sen Bryd also used the N word in a TV interview
    and that was handled with kid Gloves!! And Liberals don't think
    there is a Bias in the Media?? Pleeez.... :lol:

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    It was Republicans who threw Lott under the bus.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™[/i]@Apr 8 2004, 04:49 PM
    [b] It was Republicans who threw Lott under the bus. [/b][/quote]
    They did the right thing, what he said was stupid. Too bad democrats don't have the same sense of decency.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jet Moses+Apr 8 2004, 10:35 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Jet Moses @ Apr 8 2004, 10:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Bob the Jets Fan™[/i]@Apr 8 2004, 04:49 PM
    [b] It was Republicans who threw Lott under the bus. [/b][/quote]
    They did the right thing, what he said was stupid. Too bad democrats don&#39;t have the same sense of decency.[/b][/quote]
    The only thing that Democrats and Decency have in common
    is both words start with the letter D&#33;&#33; :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh yeah its real decent to take after an 80 year old racist - face facts its OLD news that robert byrd hates "nigras" and its a distraction story - the more time "the radical RIGHT" spends on Byrd the less time they need to consider the facts of how badly their leader has messed up on Iraq... Americans are dying and we&#39;d rather talk about the klan??? <_<

sorry but id rather talk about the shi-ites, sunnis and hesbollah (oh my) taking pot shots at our infantry.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Apr 9 2004, 10:47 AM
    [b]oh yeah its real decent to take after an 80 year old racist - face facts its OLD news that robert byrd hates "nigras" and its a distraction story - the more time "the radical RIGHT" spends on Byrd the less time they need to consider the facts of how badly their leader has messed up on Iraq... Americans are dying and we&#39;d rather talk about the klan??? <_<

sorry but id rather talk about the shi-ites, sunnis and hesbollah (oh my) taking pot shots at our infantry.[/b][/quote]
    And Strom Thurman was 100&#33;&#33; I agree they were blowing smoke
    at a old man&#39;s Butt..But Dodd was a critic of Lotts and he said Byrd
    would have been a credit anytime in History including the Civil
    War&#33; He would have been a Slave owner at that time don&#39;t you
    think?? <_<