Thread: i agree

Former President Carter takes president to task
    By JAMES PINKERTON
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle Rio Grande Valley Bureau
    BROWNSVILLE -- Former President Carter on Thursday called the Bush administration's decision to wage war against Iraq "ill-advised and unnecessary," adding the resulting campaign "has turned out to be a tragedy."

The former Democratic president also said Bush's environmental policies are perhaps the worst in the nation's history.

Carter made the comments at the Rio R.V. Park after wrapping up a four-day birding trip with his wife, Rosalynn, in the lower Rio Grande Valley.

"President Bush's war was ill-advised and unnecessary and based on erroneous statements, and has turned out to be a tragedy," Carter said. "And my prayer has been that brave young American men and women, and others who are there, that their lives will be spared and there will be some peaceful resolution of the war."

Carter, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002, also blamed what he called Bush's pro-Israel policies for engendering animosity against America.

"The prime source of animosity towards the United States is the lack of progress in dealing with the Palestinian issue," Carter said, adding that past U.S. administrations since Harry Truman's have maintained a "balanced position" in dealing with the rights of the Arab population within the Jewish nation.

"The present administration has not done so at all. We have been exclusively committed to the policies of Prime Minister Ariel Sharon and Israel, and have made no effort to try to have a balanced negotiating position between Israel and the Palestinians," Carter said.

Carter, who brokered the historic 1978 Camp David accords that led to peace between Israel and Egypt, noted that President George H.W. Bush threatened to halt foreign aid when Israel began building settlements in Palestinian territory.

"In the meantime, of course, the Israelis have established hundreds of settlements all over Palestinian land with no critical comment ever coming from the present Bush administration," Carter said.

Carter, who placed 103 million acres of Alaskan land under federal protection during his term, also took the current White House to task on the environment.

"This national administration is the worst for conservation in my lifetime, maybe in history," said Carter, whose family has farmed in Georgia since 1833. "In all the basic elements of preserving the purity of parks and wildlife lands, controlling the industries that are inclined to pollute ... the decimation of forest lands."

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Based on the fiasco that was his tenure as president, Carter should just shut the hell up go build another house.

Or maybe schedule another meeting with Fidel.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Carter went to Cuba and called Bush a Liar!! It has been a
    standing protocol where a former President never trashes a
    sitting President! In a time of War years ago Carter could have
    been shot for Treason&#33;&#33; <_<

Cuba is an &#39;enemy&#39; because of some rich florida anti castro cubans who have a lot of political clout..

So what if Carter went to cuba..that means that his opinion isn&#39;t valid? Rumsfeld went to iraq and was buddy buddy with Saddam in the 80&#39;s..

Bush is a liar..
    He also lied to the the iraqui people..
    Do you remember that bs in his pre war speech
    "to the iraqui people, we have no ambitions in your country other than to remove a brtual dictatot&#39;..
    total BS..we are already starting to build Permanent miltary installation in iraq..

why is it that stupid consrvatives always attack the messenger but never look at the message&#33;
    Carter is absolutely correct..The main problem in the world and the cause of si much hatred is the palestinian situation..And the Bush admin. has done nothing except stand by the isrealis and their constant retaking of land.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Apr 9 2004, 12:34 PM
    [b]Cuba is an &#39;enemy&#39; because of some rich florida anti castro cubans who have a lot of political clout..

So what if Carter went to cuba..that means that his opinion isn&#39;t valid? Rumsfeld went to iraq and was buddy buddy with Saddam in the 80&#39;s..

Bush is a liar..
    He also lied to the the iraqui people..
    Do you remember that bs in his pre war speech
    "to the iraqui people, we have no ambitions in your country other than to remove a brtual dictatot&#39;..
    total BS..we are already starting to build Permanent miltary installation in iraq..

why is it that stupid consrvatives always attack the messenger but never look at the message&#33;
    Carter is absolutely correct..The main problem in the world and the cause of si much hatred is the palestinian situation..And the Bush admin. has done nothing except stand by the isrealis and their constant retaking of land.[/b][/quote]
    Well..I won&#39;t call you names just because your a Liberal&#33;
    However last time I checked Cuba was a Communist Country&#33;
    When the Soviet Union was a World Power Castro wanted
    Nuclear Weapons on their soil that he could have used against
    the US&#33;&#33; Carter broke all the rules that former Presidents stand
    by&#33; When has any Administration done anything about the Palestine
    situation?? Every time a peace plan comes up they do something
    to derail it&#33; And as long as Arafat is in Power they always will&#33;And
    from what I&#39;ve read about Iraq, the People want a US presence
    in the Area but the Country run by Iraqi&#39;s, which we all agree is right&#33;
    BTW we still have base&#39;s in Japan and Germany should we remove
    them also??..... :rolleyes: