Thread: 7 yrs. ago today, my hockey world crashed

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I still hate Bettman. In a way, us Whaler fans were lucky: We got out before that greedy animal ruined the game for every TRUE hockey fan :o

Glowing pucks; bullspit cities like Anahiem, Raleigh, Nashville and Phoenix; and no scoring! Did any player even have over 90 points last season?

P.S: In the Whalers final three season&#39;s in the state, they played to over 95 percent capacity and were never contenders. That doesn&#39;t even mention all the great players that grew up in the region (Leetch, Roenick, Guerin, Drury, Hainsey, ect.)....Stick that up your *** Bettman, with your stupid southern teams that can&#39;t draw flies <_<

http://members.tripod.com/~iceage02/whalerspics.html

http://www.whalerwatch.com/

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Riggins44@Apr 13 2004, 05:12 PM

I still hate Bettman. In a way, us Whaler fans were lucky: We got out before that greedy animal ruined the game for every TRUE hockey fan :o

Glowing pucks; bullspit cities like Anahiem, Raleigh, Nashville and Phoenix; and no scoring&#33; Did any player even have over 90 points last season?

P.S: In the Whalers final three season&#39;s in the state, they played to over 95 percent capacity and were never contenders. That doesn&#39;t even mention all the great players that grew up in the region (Leetch, Roenick, Guerin, Drury, Hainsey, ect.)....Stick that up your *** Bettman, with your stupid southern teams that can&#39;t draw flies <_<

http://members.tripod.com/~iceage02/whalerspics.html

http://www.whalerwatch.com/
    Along with Winnipeg moving, the Whalers relocation stuck at the hearts of all hockey fans. Bettman has always been an idiot and will continue to be one as long as he&#39;s there ruining the game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the southern teams being a bad move....but Hartford didnt exactly pack em in, did they?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Shadetree@Apr 16 2004, 11:35 AM
    I agree with the southern teams being a bad move....but Hartford didnt exactly pack em in, did they?
    Hawtfud played before 95% capacity. Nashville can&#39;t hold games on Wednesday becasue they lose out to church, that&#39;s right, CHURCH&#33; Bettman will go down as the s**t that ruined hockey.

And they hired him because he was partly responsible for the NBA turnaround.

Did it ever occur to these idiots that the NBA was cool again simply because "black" was cool?? Look at it now, it&#39;s still punk-ball, but every white, black, asian, puerto-rican kid is wearing that junk and I hardly credit(?) Bettman for it. <_< <_<

Long live the Brass Bonanza, Rigs&#33; B)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    CanadaJet, it was widely reported the Whalers did play to over 95 percent capacity in their final three seasons in CT. They did this, despite not have had made the playoffs for 5 straight seasons&#33;

While it is true attendence did drop in the early 1990&#39;s to about 11,000 per game, what else could be expected? Come on, had it not been for 5 expansion teams in that time, them and Quebec would&#39;ve been, by far, the most pathetic teams in the NHL during that span (were talking real bad&#33. Heck, go back to the 2nd half of the 1980&#39;s and the Whalers were among most profitable teams in the NHL&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Bettman should&#39;ve never, ever been handed that job. The mainstream U.S media (which hates hockey), pushed him due to the fact that they knew him from the NBA and that league was very popular for a very short period of time. However, he never had a clue about the game of hockey at all; didn&#39;t know the players or the teams and was always way too arrogant and indifferent towards fans wishes (Napolean complex?).

As bad as Zeigler was, according to the Dolts at ESPN, the man absolutely LOVED hockey. He was as fanatical as any fan, until he started getting lazy in the early 1990&#39;s and went AWOL&#33;

GOB: When the Whalers were up for sale in the early 1990&#39;s, Bettman and the Gov of CT (which controlled the sale) shunned a group of Connecticut investors that OFFERED MORE MONEY in favor of an owner from Michigan :blink:

It made no sense, until the people of CT found out the former Govenor of CT. had accepted a high paying position on the board of directors of the Michigan company that bought the team....Yes, Bettman sat by like a turd, while Peter Karmonos (owner) of Michican paid off a corrupt, slimeball politician :o

Heck, all three got what they wanted: Karmanos wanted an NHL team as a toy; Bettman got a new team in the South for ABC and ESPN; former gov of CT got a cushy salary from some company for going to one meeting every six months.

Here&#39;s a weird fact: Did you know Karmanos&#39; first choice after leaving Connecticut, was to relocate the team to Auburn Hills, Michigan?

That&#39;s right, he wanted to bring the Whalers to Michigan, but Mike Illitch and the league told him NO WAY&#33; After a short fight, he yielded and looked elsewhere.

After that, he went Columbus, Ohio. Media reports claim Columbus officials found him to be "too sleazy" and told him they&#39;d opt for an expansion team.

After Columbus, he approached the city of San Diego and was told yes, but no NEW ARENA would be built with taxpayer funds.

He finally went to Raliegh, NC....Big event is when some NASCAR dude shows up....whopppeeee...Gotta love Betteman :blink:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    And here&#39;s another ttidbit of info. When I did stats for FOX Carolina a couple of years ago they had some pre-pubescent kid hosting their broadcasts and doing interviews, etc. etc. I finally had to ask who the hell was this Ryan Seacrest look-alike was. His name was Tripp Tracy...and no, he doesn&#39;t race NASCAR on the side.

He&#39;s was a former goalie at Yale and you guessed it, former roomate of Karmanos&#39; son while "stationed" there. Those two were "buddies" and Little Karmanos hit his old man for a cushy gig for his boy-toy.

Well, Tripp&#39;s still there "plugging" away. And no, he hasn&#39;t improved. <_<

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    CJ, thanks you made my day..... I&#39;m sure Peter K. is very proud of Jason and Tripp

When Bettman and the former Gov. of Connecticut (who seemed to have been payed off) handed the Whalers over to "out of towners", over a Connecticut a group that offered more money, is was said that the team couldn&#39;t fail because Karmanos and Jimmy Rutherford where NHL genuises

Karmanos is a clown. Did you know former NHL star Jimmy Carson is 100 percent Greek? No big deal, except Karmanos threw huge money his way because of it. Every team in the NHL laughed, knowing Carson was washed up at 25...........A few years after, he forced the team to draft Nikos Tselios (who sucks) in round one for the same reason....By the way, if he wanted a decent Greek player, why not sign Nikos&#39; uncle Chris Chelios? (bty, Chris Chelios&#39; real name is Chris Tselios).

Tripp Tracy. I knew that name, believe it or not. He was a goalie for Havard and was actually drated by the Flyers in the early 1990&#39;s. Like the Karmanos&#39;, he is from Detriot.......BTY, Jason K&#39;s crappy career ended with a puck to the face at Havard <_<

Also, after the Whalers tried to move Detroit, Columbus and California and failed, it was Jason who choose Carolina...Must be a great social atmosphere for his type near the Duke campus :blink:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    And how did the kid Nikos Dimitrakos escape to San Jose?

Thanks for clearing up the college thing. He also played two years with Richmond in the Jules Verne League(20,000 leagues below the NHL). I guess he knew a good thing when it punched &#39;em in the ass.

Looks like he was as good at keeping pucks out as he is a broadcaster. B)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great posts and information guys.

It&#39;s funny we talk about Karmonos, because him and Mike Illitch (Fellow Greek and Owner of the Red Wings and Tigers) HATE each other. People in Detroit were actually excited for another NHL team, which this city could support, and Illitch went crazy solely because he hates Karmonos.

I never knew about the higher offer from the CT group but it doesn&#39;t suprise me for one second that Bettman would endorse and allow a shady deal like that to go down.

Southern hockey has been one of the most damaging things to happen to the NHL since a fluenza epidemic shut down a Stanley Cup matchup. There&#39;s a reason NASCAR isn&#39;t big in Canada, it&#39;s called no one cares about it. Show me southern team with a loyal fan base like the Whalers had, through thick and thin. Florida? Come on? Tampa? Not until this year. Carolina? Did they even play this season? Phoenix? Just think of the desert kids that can come see their hockey heroes play.

Bettman is a joke. His latest proposals to imopove the game are a joke too. I&#39;m a firm believer that a 0-0 hockey game can still be as exciting as a 10-9 game. Leave the red and blue lines alone. Bring back delayed offsides. Leave the net alone, let the goalies skate out, and if I even remotely see a NHL shootout I will lead the riot myself.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    GOB, good points and excellent list. Of the Southern cites, I can understand, to a degree, the need for teams like San Jose, Atlanta, Tampa (1 from Florida) and Dallas, but there are far to many garbage markets, as you pointed out.

Ask Canada Jet, is there a more ridiculous market than Anaheim?

Given the demographic shift in So. California (thanks to no borders), having just the Kings is a major league stretch......Throw in a 2nd team, and you&#39;ve got nothing but trouble.......Heck, NFL can&#39;t make even it there with one team, now 2 NHL teams :blink:

Not only did the CT. group offer more money for the Whalers, they gave Bettman a 7 season guarentee to stay in the state. There intention was to never leave, however..........Karmanos stayed three seasons.

The state was also set to build a new arena for the Whalers. Karmanos balked for a "better deal", but got a lesser deal in Carolina

I caught some hockey writer on CNBC. She claimed if hockey went on strike, up to 7 teams could fold. I know she mentioned Columbus, but I&#39;ve got guess Carolina would be the first to go

Bty, you are right about a NHL team in Miami? Joke, joke, joke......Not even remotely sensible&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&# 33;

Karmanos hates Illitch for a simple reason: Jealousy.....Karmanos wants a Michigan pro team. He hates the NBA and the Lions will never be up for sale.......Illitch, a Greek rival, stole the MLB and NHL teams away from him&#33;

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, this beats mocks for a while right fellas?

We certainly agree that the NHL is about as healthy as a coughing chicken in British Columbia. And what are they doing to the the f-ill-thy fowl? Purging them&#33;

What Miami? They play in freakin&#39; Sunrise which from what I understand is 40 mintues from downtown Miami&#33;?&#33; They do have a pretty skilled up and coming team though. But I think Columbus is safe. I&#39;ll tell ya, the 7 teams I think might be in trouble are:
    Atlanta, Carolina, Nashville, Pittsburgh, Calgary, Florida, and Tampa. Maybe Washington but Leonsis has a tonne of dough. Hey, that&#39;s another reekie greeky. no?

How &#39;bout those Habs? :blink:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tampa is safe. For one thing they own the arena, which is I believe the 3rd largest in the NHL at 20,500. Great facility if you ever get the chance to go. Also an owner with deep pockets. William Davidson also own the Detroit Pistons and the Palace at Auburn Hills.

They also have put a great product on the ice. I see alot of complaints about the way the game is played with all the clutching and grabbing. The Lightning have a wide open offensive style that people from around the league seem to admire.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Habs? I love them CJ

When the Whalers went away, jackal Bettman assumed Whalers fans would go and be Bruins or Rangers fans...........HAAAAHHHH&#33;

I hate the Bruins; I&#39;ll aways hate the Bruins and any foe that defeats them is swell by me

My only regret, was I didn&#39;t watch much of the series. Outside of the ultra classy Ray Borque, no Bruins players, officials, fans or sportswriters cared when the Whalers/ Bruins rivalary went away.

I rooted for Bourque to get that cup in Colorado. He deserved it. Always liked Cam Neely, too. Despite his Bruin ties.

Harry Sinden, I hate&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Still can&#39;t root for Montral CJ. I&#39;d love to see Toronto win at all. Honestly.

Why?

First, Connecticut&#39;s version of Bobby Orr plays for the Leafs. Secondly, it would much rather see a city that CARES win it all, instead of a San Jose, or some other garbage like that.

Not sure of Leonsis. He&#39;s got the number pick coming. I didn&#39;t really get into hockey into the 1980&#39;s, as a kid. Through my love of the sport I used to see the name Greg Joly comes up all the time. Capitals number one overall pick a long time ago........

Joly best years were spent in Adirondack. Not an NHL city, but probably superior to Anaheim or Raleigh.

Contraction must include those 2 cities. Both are worthless&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah Rigs, you&#39;re right. He was their #1 pick in &#39;74 but played his career almost entirely in the Red Wings organization. Careful though, you&#39;re aging yourself.

He managed to get 365 NHL games in though. Pretty good. But you&#39;re right, he spent a good chunk of time in the A with Adirondack. Retired in the mid eighties.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, this town will erupt if the Leafs win it.

I liked Neely too. I could care less that Bourque won a cup. These guys and their millions...who gives a s**t if they put a silver cherry on top of their sundae?

One guy I felt bad for and I loved his style was Gord Kluzak. What a tragedy. Bad knees and he&#39;s done. <_<

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks CJ, but as I said, I don&#39;t remember Joly at all.....I cheated, by looking up the Adirandack info*

The first NHL draft I remember fairly well, was 1983--Lawton :o...Turgeon Angry.....LaFontaine and Steve Y.....

Stevie Y., may&#39;ve have been drafted ahead of LaFontaine <_<

The next draft was even better, with Lemieux and all those American Olympians--Iafrate, Ed Olzyck (SP)--that never became stars

Seeing Borque win a cup in Colorado (not Boston) was priceless.....I&#39;m a definite Bruin hater :o

I don&#39;t remember to much about Kluzak....His career was over too quickly.

*I think the Caps had another number one overall a bit after Joly--Rick Green???? Don&#39;t remember him either, but I like NHL history.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Riggins44@Apr 20 2004, 06:33 PM
    Thanks CJ, but as I said, I don&#39;t remember Joly at all.....I cheated, by looking up the Adirandack info*

The first NHL draft I remember fairly well, was 1983--Lawton :o...Turgeon Angry.....LaFontaine and Steve Y.....

Stevie Y., may&#39;ve have been drafted ahead of LaFontaine <_<

The next draft was even better, with Lemieux and all those American Olympians--Iafrate, Ed Olzyck (SP)--that never became stars

Seeing Borque win a cup in Colorado (not Boston) was priceless.....I&#39;m a definite Bruin hater :o

I don&#39;t remember to much about Kluzak....His career was over too quickly.

*I think the Caps had another number one overall a bit after Joly--Rick Green???? Don&#39;t remember him either, but I like NHL history.
    Rick Green is correct. He split his time between Montreal and Washington. I gotta get otta this office. I could talk hockey all day... B)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CanadaJet@Apr 20 2004, 08:03 PM
    I gotta get otta this office. I could talk hockey all day... B)
    Man if I had access to this website in my car at work it&#39;d be over.