Thread: What an embarassing performance!

All League
    Charter JI Member

I expected Bush to be unwilling to give straight answers. I never expected him to be [i]unable[/i] to.

Veteran
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™[/i]@Apr 13 2004, 09:40 PM
    [b] I expected Bush to be unwilling to give straight answers. I never expected him to be [i]unable[/i] to. [/b][/quote]
    Bob, I almsot didnt want to come here because I knew how predictable the responses would be (from both sides.) I have a feeling no matter what Bush said you would have said that. Besides the obvious stumping on his biggest mistake, what was so poor? I thought he did a pretty good job, not great, but good. He could have answered some questions better, but over all, I thought it was good.

All League
    Charter JI Member

He filibustered and didn't give straight answers to anyone except that softball question from the guy from the [i]WashingtonTimes[/i].

Can you believe he complained that he wasn't given a question in writing in advance? How much stage-handling does this guy need? Would an honest answer have been a bad solution to that awkward moment? I don't think so.

There was about a minute and a half where I sensed any sincerity. The rest was pure CYA.

Hall Of Fame
    He looks tired. I'll say a prayer for him, the country, and our troops, tonight.

[i]These words he speaks are true
    We're all humanary stew if
    We don't pledge allegiance to
    The Black Widow

The horror that he brings
    The horror of his sting
    The unholiest of kings
    The Black Widow

Our minds will be his toy
    And every girl and boy will learn to be employed by
    The Black Widow

Love him
    Yes we love him
    Love him
    Yes we love him

He sits upon his throne and picks at all the bones of his
    Husbands and his
    Wives he's devoured
    He stares with a gleam
    With a laugh so obscene at the virgins and the children
    He's deflowered

Love him
    Yes we love him
    Love him
    Yes we love him
    Love me
    Yes we love him

Our thoughts are hot and crazed
    Our brains are webbed in haze
    Of mindless senseless daze
    The Black Widow

These words he speaks are true
    We're all humanary stew
    If we don't pledge allegiance to
    The Black Widow

[/i]

All League
    Charter JI Member

You know Moses, I saw that, too. He looked tired and confused. I don't doubt that this whole experience has taken a lot out of the man.

My wife thought he seemed arrogant. I thought he seemed less so than usual, as if some of it had been beaten out of him.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Lawyers, Guns and Money+Apr 13 2004, 09:46 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Lawyers, Guns and Money @ Apr 13 2004, 09:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Bob the Jets Fan™[/i]@Apr 13 2004, 09:40 PM
    [b] I expected Bush to be unwilling to give straight answers. I never expected him to be [i]unable[/i] to. [/b][/quote]
    Bob, I almsot didnt want to come here because I knew how predictable the responses would be (from both sides.) I have a feeling no matter what Bush said you would have said that. Besides the obvious stumping on his biggest mistake, what was so poor? I thought he did a pretty good job, not great, but good. He could have answered some questions better, but over all, I thought it was good. [/b][/quote]
    Even Chrissy Matthews of MSNBC said the President did a good job, which must&#39;ve hurt.

No wonder they won&#39;t allow Bush to testify without Chaney, and how ironic that it was that very question which tempts me to hit every questionable clikable smiley available.

Not verbatim but I&#39;ve got the drift:

Question: Why have you and Chaney refused to testify separately?

Answer: Because this gives us an opportunity to answer the commission&#39;s questions.

Follow up: No. Why did you refuse to testify separately, as the commission requested?

Answer: Because we want to answer the questions. NEXT.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™[/i]@Apr 13 2004, 09:56 PM
    [b] You know Moses, I saw that, too. He looked tired and confused. I don&#39;t doubt that this whole experience has taken a lot out of the man.

My wife thought he seemed arrogant. I thought he seemed less so than usual, as if some of it had been beaten out of him. [/b][/quote]
    Bob, how come you don&#39;t have any cute comments to make concerning the Dellum&#39;s article I posted?

The CBC. What a crew. Must make you proud to be a democrat. :lol:

[url=http://www.democracynow.org/static/haiti.shtml]http://www.democracynow.org/static/haiti.shtml[/url]

"I can&#39;t tell white folks apart. They all look the same."

Hall Of Fame
    That flub about "mistakes" was definitely painful to watch. He completely bricked on that question. I don&#39;t know why his handlers had him do that last night - he&#39;s just not that good at it. He&#39;s a decent speaker, but he&#39;s not quick on his feet with questions. He&#39;s OK giving prepared speeches, underrated, IMO. But that one answer was definitely a brick.

Overall, I thought he was fine. I think people who like him already think he did well, and people who don&#39;t like him will harp on that one answer or his "filibustering" even though all politicians answer all types of questions in the same mannar. He does look tired though.

I don&#39;t think it helped him all that much, but let&#39;s be honest...how many truly undecideds are out there right now? There&#39;s no doubt he could stand to be a little more articulate on his feet. But what can you do? He never has been and never will be. It&#39;s a flaw, politically-speaking. All politicians have weak spots - that&#39;s his. His sincerity is definitely his strength. He&#39;s a likable, believable guy, even if this notion makes guys like Bob on this board laigh out loud. Bush has had a tremendously succcessful political career and while he&#39;s had a lot of help, people generally like him and think he&#39;s sincere. It&#39;s a quality not mentioned much, but it&#39;s definitely there.

Reagan was quick on his feet with questions and he was a great, great speaker. But that didn&#39;t stop people from calling him stupid as well.....

Bob - he was joking about being given a question in advance, you KNOW that.

All Pro
    I have two better examples of the definition of CYA:

"It all depends on what the meaning of IS is&#33;"
    "I actually voted for the &#036;87 billion, before I voted against it&#33;"

All League
    Charter JI Member

5ever, that was a good analysis.

To be fair, I tried to imagine Kerry in the same situation and kept picturing some stiff appearance that sounded more like a lecture than a news conference.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™[/i]@Apr 14 2004, 01:31 PM
    [b] 5ever, that was a good analysis.

To be fair, I tried to imagine Kerry in the same situation and kept picturing some stiff appearance that sounded more like a lecture than a news conference. [/b][/quote]
    Bob-

Bush bricked that "what mistakes have you made" question worse than any politician has ever bricked any question that I have ever seen in my 15+ years or so of following politics. It was painful and embarassing to watch, and I am sympathtic to Bush. It was such a softball question too, damn.

I typically HATE things like this no matter what the issue is or what party the speaker is from. They generally all revolve around talking points and no matter what the specific question asks, answers seem to always come back to the boilerplate platitudes that have been pre-designed. Some guys like Reagan and Clinton excel at it, guys like Bush and Dole don&#39;t. Kerry is more articulate than Dubya, but he&#39;s boring and gives rambling answers that sound substantive, but aren&#39;t. This was Gore&#39;s problem too. Gore was articulate in that he didn&#39;t misspeak or mispronounce often, but he just wasn&#39;t effective.

We don&#39;t see guys like Reagan or Clinton come around too often, in terms of charisma. I&#39;ll admit it - Clinton was a very likable guy. He was. It is a huge reason why he was so effective as a speaker. He was a smart politician, and a shrewd one, no doubt. And a bright guy. But he was genuinely likable...people liked him. I think that&#39;s why that guy from SNL&#39;s impression of Clinton was so dead-on, because he made him very likable, even when he was doing not so likable things (oversimplification). Same with Ronald Reagan, he was very popular across the board during his terms. I think Bush has that quality to a lesser extent, but he is not nearly the speaker that either of those guys are. But he&#39;s more likable than his father was....What can you do...no politician is perfect.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

The 3 best Public Speaker&#39;s of the last 50 years have been
    JFK,RR and "Slick Wille" Clinton&#33;&#33; Dubya is not a good public
    speaker and never will be&#33; The big mistake that Dems made
    was backing Kerry&#33; He has the Charisma and likeability of the
    Plague&#33;&#33; John Edwards,Howard Dean and the General all would
    have been better choices&#33; As a Republican I&#39;m happy they chose
    Kerry&#33; When they get around to the debates there won&#39;t be a
    Insomniac left in the country that won&#39;t be snoozing&#33;&#33;

Maxman
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69[/i]@Apr 14 2004, 05:03 PM
    [b] When they get around to the debates there won&#39;t be a
    Insomniac left in the country that won&#39;t be snoozing&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Line of the day right there folks.

[b]Not Happy with Bush last night. Well, dig Kerry&#39;s performance today.[/b]

[b]Below is part of an AP article about Kerry&#39;s NYC fund raiser today.[/b]

"During a question-and-answer session with the audience, retired college professor Walter Daum angrily accused Kerry of backing an imperialist policy in Iraq and called on the candidate to demand the immediate withdrawal of U.S. troops.

"You voted for this," Daum shouted. As he spoke, a group stood silently and unfurled a large sign that read, "Kerry take a stand: Troops out now."

"You&#39;re not listening," an exasperated Kerry said at one point.

[b]Kerry is exasperated. Probably getting a lot of crap from base democrats for supporting this war.[/b]

"The president made clear what we all share, which is a sense that the United States of America is going to be resolute and tough and make certain that we accomplish our mission," Kerry said.

[b]Kerry said that? If I&#39;ve said it once I&#39;ve said it a thousand times John Kerry would be a very good V.P. for George Bush. [/b]

Undrafted Free Agent
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Lawyers, Guns and Money[/i]@Apr 13 2004, 09:46 PM
    [b] [QUOTE=Bob the Jets Fan™,Apr 13 2004, 09:40 PM] ... Besides the obvious stumping on his biggest mistake, what was so poor?... [/b][/quote]
    Right off the bat Bush referred to "Secretary of State Colin Powell and Secretary of (uh) State (uh) Rumsfeld."

If you don&#39;t get embarassed when he says NUKE-YILLER, you need to reassess your criteria for becoming the leader of the free world. You can&#39;t look the other way and pretend he doesn&#39;t say it. If you like him you cringe, if you don&#39;t you laugh. But this is not a joke - our boys (and women) are fighting bravely.

Another HUGE negative for Bush was Condy Rice. She looked like she just threw a pick for a touchdown in overtime. She looked like Bruce Coslett in the early 90s trying to stop the run. She looked like when a mom watches her kid drop a bowl of cereal down the stairs.

But enough nonsense. He STILL didn&#39;t tell us what and who we&#39;re fighting for or against. Now he&#39;s extending tours for 120 days. This is a trainwreck.

Iraq needs a massive, CREDIBLE peacekeeping force of about 500,000. The UN is the only way out. If Bush thinks he can "stay the course" and keep raking in cash for Halliburton, Bechtel etc., he&#39;s even dumber than we think he is. We can&#39;t afford it, nor do we want our boys to be over there for 5-10-15 years.

God Bless America. I pray for our troops, for peace, and for the innocent Iraqis.

:blink: <-- Bush :huh: <-- Condy <_< <--Cheney :unsure: <--America

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by doug4jets[/i]@Apr 15 2004, 04:23 AM
    [b] Iraq needs a massive, CREDIBLE peacekeeping force of about 500,000. The UN is the only way out. [/b][/quote]
    Credible-UN...was there ever a greater example of an oxymoron?&#33;&#33;

Veteran
    [quote][i]Originally posted by doug4jets[/i]@Apr 15 2004, 04:23 AM
    [b] [QUOTE=Lawyers, Guns and Money,Apr 13 2004, 09:46 PM] [QUOTE=Bob the Jets Fan™,Apr 13 2004, 09:40 PM] ... Besides the obvious stumping on his biggest mistake, what was so poor?... [/QUOTE]
    Right off the bat Bush referred to "Secretary of State Colin Powell and Secretary of (uh) State (uh) Rumsfeld."

If you don&#39;t get embarassed when he says NUKE-YILLER, you need to reassess your criteria for becoming the leader of the free world. You can&#39;t look the other way and pretend he doesn&#39;t say it. If you like him you cringe, if you don&#39;t you laugh. But this is not a joke - our boys (and women) are fighting bravely.

Another HUGE negative for Bush was Condy Rice. She looked like she just threw a pick for a touchdown in overtime. She looked like Bruce Coslett in the early 90s trying to stop the run. She looked like when a mom watches her kid drop a bowl of cereal down the stairs.

But enough nonsense. He STILL didn&#39;t tell us what and who we&#39;re fighting for or against. Now he&#39;s extending tours for 120 days. This is a trainwreck.

Iraq needs a massive, CREDIBLE peacekeeping force of about 500,000. The UN is the only way out. If Bush thinks he can "stay the course" and keep raking in cash for Halliburton, Bechtel etc., he&#39;s even dumber than we think he is. We can&#39;t afford it, nor do we want our boys to be over there for 5-10-15 years.

God Bless America. I pray for our troops, for peace, and for the innocent Iraqis.

:blink: <-- Bush :huh: <-- Condy <_< <--Cheney :unsure: <--America [/b][/quote]
    OK

Cause he misstated Rumsfield position and has a drawl, please dont tell me you are serious? I sick of arguing politics on this board, everyone is sooo smart on here. Where did I even say once on the board that I am a Bush Supporter? I didn&#39;t vote for Bush in 2000. Right now I think I will vote with Bush cause I think he has done a fair job and some of what Kerry says scares me (I am for free trade, thats probably the biggest issue as far as Im concerned where the President can impact. Please dont say Iraq, Kerry has no alternative vision.)

Please stop the mindless drivel and conspiricy theories. Think for yourself.

Hall Of Fame
    Don&#39;t be a hero, Doug.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Lawyers, Guns and Money[/i]@Apr 15 2004, 10:20 AM
    [b] Think for yourself. [/b][/quote]
    What a novel concept, and words to live by. :lol: