Thread: King Abdullah: Al-Qaida WMDs Came From Syria

Hall Of Fame
    Saturday, April 17, 2004 2:10 p.m. EDT
    King Abdullah: Al-Qaida WMDs Came From Syria

Jordan's King Abdullah revealed on Saturday that vehicles reportedly containing chemical weapons and poison gas that were part of a deadly al-Qaida bomb plot came from Syria, the country named by U.S. weapons inspector David Kay last year as a likely repository for Iraq's weapons of mass destruction.

"It was a major, major operation. It would have decapitated the government," King Abdullah told the San Francisco Chronicle. Jordanian officials estimated that the death count could have been as high as 20,000 - seven times greater than the Sept. 11 attacks.

King Abdullah said that trucks containing 17.5 tons of explosives had come from Syria, though he took pains not to implicate Syrian President Bashir Assad in the al-Qaida plot, saying, "I'm completely confident that Bashir did not know about it."

In his testimony before Congress last year, weapons inspector Kay said U.S. satellite surveillance showed substantial vehicular traffic going from Iraq to Syria just prior to the U.S. attack on March 19, 2003.

While Kay said investigators couldn't be sure the cargo contained weapons of mass destruction, one of his top advisers described the evidence as "unquestionable."

"People below the Saddam-Hussein-and-his-sons level saw what was coming and decided the best thing to do was to destroy and disperse," said James Clapper in comments reported by the New York Times on Oct. 29. Clapper heads the National Imagery and Mapping Agency.

Israeli intelligence has long believed that after the U.S. delayed invasion plans to allow U.N. weapons inspectors time to search for Iraq's WMDs, Saddam moved the banned weapons to Syria, the only other country ruled by the Ba'ath Party.

On April 1, Jordanian officials announced the arrest of several terrorist suspects, saying they were still hunting for two cars filled with explosives.

Five days later, the State Department revealed that the attackers were linked to Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, a Jordanian-based terrorist considered to be one of al-Qaida's most dangerous. One of Zarqawi's targets was the U.S. Embassy in Amman.

By Saturday morning European news services were quoting an unnamed Jordanian official, who revealed that the al-Qaida plotters planned to use weapons of mass destruction in the foiled attack.

"We found primary materials to make a chemical bomb which, if it had exploded, would have made nearly 20,000 deaths ... in an area of one square kilometre," the official told Agence France-Press.

Another operation planned by the network was to use "deadly gas against the US embassy and the prime minister's office in Amman," he added.

A car belonging to the al-Qaida plotters, containing a chemical bomb and poisonous gas, was intercepted just 75 miles from the Syrian border.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

God damn that George Bush! He is evil! And a liar! Um...and a monkey! Yes, a monkey! A draft-dodging DWI monkey!

(Please insert the above response to any posts related to evidence that the WMDs the whole world knew and said Hussein had -- but whose existence Bush surely lied about nonetheless (?) -- actually did and do exist.)

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by shakin318[/i]@Apr 19 2004, 11:51 PM
    [b] God damn that George Bush! He is evil! And a liar! Um...and a monkey! Yes, a monkey! A draft-dodging DWI monkey!

(Please insert the above response to any posts related to evidence that the WMDs the whole world knew and said Hussein had -- but whose existence Bush surely lied about nonetheless (?) -- actually did and do exist.) [/b][/quote]
    I wonder if this is just the tip of the iceberg.

[b]BUSH-CHENEY '04[/b]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Has anyone seen or heard this story on any major news (CNN/CBS/ABC) service? I know I haven't yet have been looking..

I posted this here on Saturday: [url=http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=20947]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/index.ph...=ST&f=7&t=20947[/url] and it quotes UPI, etc but the left leaning media in this nation has obviously chosen to bury the story...

so what we invade Syria now? <_<

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Apr 20 2004, 11:17 AM
    [b]so what we invade Syria now? <_<[/b][/quote]
    Bits version of "I told you they wouldn&#39;t find WMD&#39;s [b][u]IN Iraq[/u][/b]"

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[b] so what we invade Syria now? <_< [/b][/quote]
    No no no...heavens no&#33; We wait for Kofi Annan, Chirac and Zapatero et al to impart their wisdom on how to handle the situation.

Haven&#39;t you been paying attention?

Hall Of Fame
    [b] so what we invade Syria now? <_< [/b][/quote]
    Bit - you&#39;ve said for months that you aren&#39;t against invasions per se, only that Iraq was the wrong invasion to make. You have often cited Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and (yes) Syria as better alternatives.

Now, apparently, you have changed your mind. Why, because you won&#39;t be able to b*tch about no Blood for Oil if we invade Syria? ;)

all i did was ask a question - :lol:

do you guys think we should invade Syria now?

---

ill tell you why i don&#39;t think we should - not cause im a worthless hippie or cause war is wrong

we have our hands full with Iraq... we didn&#39;t finish the job in Afghanistan - exactly how many countries do we have to invade? all of em?

are we any closer to stopping terrorism before all these wars?

we need Intel not Infantry to fight terrorism.

quick and deadly special forces - not plodding occupational forces. The whole logic of the administration&#39;s actions is dead wrong.

All League
    [quote][b]Has anyone seen or heard this story on any major news (CNN/CBS/ABC) service? I know I haven&#39;t yet have been looking..
    [/b][/quote]

Maybe you guys should include links to stories in your posts. The first thing I wanted to know was where this story came from.

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Apr 20 2004, 12:02 PM
    [b] we need Intel not Infantry to fight terrorism.

quick and deadly special forces - not plodding occupational forces. The whole logic of the administration&#39;s actions is dead wrong. [/b][/quote]
    And if you&#39;d do you homework and find out why our intel is so bad, you&#39;d understand why we need to keep the government as configured -- put.

Did you also consider that if Iraq goes well, it will be easier to infiltrate these ME troublemakers? The Israelis have good intel because they blend in. We can&#39;t even get arabic speaking translators. Our intel lacks knowledge of the language and culture. If we had Iraqi allies, our intel would improve a thousand-fold.

Since we currently don&#39;t have the intel your refer to, we need brute force. Be that infantry, technology or weaponry. Special forces are good, but they can secure a whole country.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Spirit of Weeb+Apr 20 2004, 04:01 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Spirit of Weeb @ Apr 20 2004, 04:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--bitonti[/i]@Apr 20 2004, 12:02 PM
    [b] we need Intel not Infantry to fight terrorism.

quick and deadly special forces - not plodding occupational forces. The whole logic of the administration&#39;s actions is dead wrong. [/b][/quote]
    And if you&#39;d do you homework and find out why our intel is so bad, you&#39;d understand why we need to keep the government as configured -- put.

Did you also consider that if Iraq goes well, it will be easier to infiltrate these ME troublemakers? The Israelis have good intel because they blend in. We can&#39;t even get arabic speaking translators. Our intel lacks knowledge of the language and culture. If we had Iraqi allies, our intel would improve a thousand-fold.

Since we currently don&#39;t have the intel your refer to, we need brute force. Be that infantry, technology or weaponry. Special forces are good, but they can secure a whole country. [/b][/quote]
    I got news for you but we don&#39;t have the brute force you speak of; unless you mean bombing campaigns. We are severely overextended and couldn&#39;t successfully attack Syria right now if we wanted to, (unless of course we withdrew from Iraq, which we are not doing anytime soon...)

By the way, I also have been looking for the story. I checked both the Washington Times and Fox News and there was no mention of it at all which is strange because I would think it would certainly make those two media outlets....