LONDON (Reuters) - Police foiled a series of suicide bomb attacks at a Manchester United match with the arrest of 10 people in anti-terror raids on Monday, the Sun has reported.
Tuesday's paper quoted an unnamed police source as saying the suspects had bought tickets for seats around the club's 67,000-capacity stadium for their premier league match against Liverpool on Saturday.
"The plot involved several individual bombers in separate parts of the stadium," the source told the paper. "If successful, any such attack would have caused absolute carnage."
Ten people were held under anti-terror laws in a series of dawn raids involving 400 police across northern England on Monday.
Police and the Home Office declined to comment on the Sun's report.
"We cannot get into a running commentary on the intelligence and information behind police and security service operations," a Home Office spokeswoman said.
Assistant Chief Constable Dave Whatton, of Greater Manchester Police, said he was aware of "extensive speculation about possible targets".
"As with any counter-terrorist operation, we will not confirm or deny any targets," he said in a statement.
The Sun said the arrests were made after months of eavesdropping on mobile telephone calls and surveillance by British and American authorities.
Anyone planning an attack at Manchester United's Old Trafford stadium would have risked being frisked by security guards or police on their way into the ground.
An attack during the match -- one of the biggest games in the English soccer calendar -- would have been broadcast live around the world. The clubs are third and fourth in the premier league.
Britain is on high alert for attacks after the Madrid train bombings which killed 191 people on March 11.
London police chief Sir John Stevens has repeatedly said an attack, most likely a suicide bombing, is inevitable.
Police arrested eight men and seized half a tonne of fertiliser often used in bomb-making in raids across southern England on March 30.
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - Loud explosions were heard Wednesday in the Saudi capital, witnesses said. The explosions came from the vicinity of the General Security building, which is affiliated to the Interior Ministry, in al-Nassiriyah neighborhood in central Riyadh, the witnesses said.
A police official confirmed the explosions but did not provide details about the cause or whether there were any casualties.
Witnesses said the explosions, which occurred about 2 p.m., shattered windows and damaged walls in surrounding buildings.
Security forces evacuated the area.
The explosions came only days after Saudi authorities announced they had seized three booby-trapped SUVs that were loaded with more than four tons of explosives and had apparently been abandoned by militants involved in a shootout with security forces.
The United States last week ordered the departure of nonessential U.S. government employees and family members from Saudi Arabia. It also urged private citizens to leave the kingdom, and the U.S. Embassy in Riyadh issued an advisory warning of "credible indications of terrorist threats aimed at American and Western interests in Saudi Arabia."
Last year, the Saudi capital suffered two major attacks by suicide bombers driving vehicles filled with explosives. A total of 51 people were killed in the May and November bombings, including the assailants.
The Saudis pursued terrorists and Islamic extremists vigorously after those attacks, arresting hundreds of people.
The attacks were blamed on Osama bin Laden's al-Qaida, the network accused of masterminding the Sept. 11, 2001, strikes in the United States.
Coming to a stadium near you. Keep appeasing the animals in the forlorn hope they eat you last.
As it happens, due the the passing of my mother-in-law, I'm hosting a number of her family from England and Ireland. Everyone over there is convinced that the attack on London is a given, just a matter of time. Further, the uncontrolled immigration of non-assimlating Arabs is reaching a breaking point throughout Europe.