Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Dream 2004 Stanley Cup Matchup

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are a lot of great teams out there, but everyone has their dream matchup.

Mine??....ok it's a bit biased but what ya think about this??

Red Wings vs. Maple Leafs

1st of all, it's original six baby. This series would be a bloodbath. They'd have to shut down the border at Windsor/Detroit because it would get nasty between both cities. 2 cities that have deep history. 2 cities with unbelievable love and devotion to their teams. The atmosphere would be unbelievable. The hockey would be remarkable. The day the Wings and Leafs stopped being int he same conference was a great loss for hockey. This matchup would bring back the hey days of the NHL. it would bring back a true original six feel. And if the NHL needs anything right now it's a shot in the arm.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guns I know where you are coming from -it would be nice to see original NHL teams in a matchup in the finals. Do we really think Tampa Bay or San Jose fans care unless they are part of their hard core.
    Detroit vs. Montreal I would like to see-Growing up as a Ranger fan I always respected Montreal organization and the great players that come through there. They have had a rough period and it would be nice to see them win-this time as a underdog.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Detroit-Toronto would be amazing. The trouble is if all the original six teams were in the east then the possibility of them meeting in the final would be nullified.

What's the deal with Chicago? Bill Wirtz has so much money...why are they so friggin' bad?? Being from Edmonton(originally-now Toronto) I always used to ask myself, "if the Oilers die...who am I gonna cheer for?" Well, I think it'd be either Chicago, Montreal, NYR, or the Islanders. NYR is hard because they have all these rich crybabies on that team. I'd rather kill'em than cheer for 'em. B)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah the Blackhawks are just plain sad. But that's sad as in "Sad for hockey fans". Seeing an original 6 franchise in that dire of shape is painful. I miss the old days when one of the nest rivalries in hockey was Chicago-Detroit. Now it might as well be Detroit-Atlanta as far as bloodlust goes. Seems like just yesterday Stevie Y scored in double OT to beat them in game 7. Now they can't even win 30 games.

I'd be just as happy with Wings-Habs as well. But I agree, you think Tampa and San Jose fans care what their teams really do?

For year's I've been saying that they should realign the divisions and make one the 'Original Six' division.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I don't understand the question, but of course we care what our teams do. No one is talking NFL draft here in Tampa. It's all about the Lightning.

If the 'Ning don't make it, then I want two teams who play an attack style offense like Tampa Bay. I hate all the clutching and grabbing and dumping the puck every other possesion some teams do, and thats why it's hard to attract new fans to the sport. The Lightning played that way a few years ago, and the team almost died.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BucJeff@Apr 21 2004, 01:07 PM
    Maybe I don't understand the question, but of course we care what our teams do. No one is talking NFL draft here in Tampa. It's all about the Lightning.

If the 'Ning don't make it, then I want two teams who play an attack style offense like Tampa Bay. I hate all the clutching and grabbing and dumping the puck every other possesion some teams do, and thats why it's hard to attract new fans to the sport. The Lightning played that way a few years ago, and the team almost died.
    I agree BucJeff. The Silver-Flash are all dash now with the talent they've added up front. Bye-bye Jersey. Can't hold your way to a championship anymore. Admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about Tampa seeing as they're not media darlings, yet. But I know they play a great style and their series with Montreal's going to be wide open...I hope.
    And yeah, any time a team's doing well, of course their fans are going to be into it. San Jose has one of the loudest buildings in the league. B)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BucJeff@Apr 21 2004, 02:07 PM

Buc the question is what is your ideal Stanley Cup matchup?

Obviously you have to pull for your team, just like I pulled for my Wings.

Who would you like to see Tampa play?

No offense, but am I the only one that thinks it's just plain wrong to even imagine the following words inscribed on the cup: TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING 2003-2004

No offense to you or your team Buc, it's just me and southern hockey don't get along.

I'm still savoring my experience at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto from last August. God that was awesome.Have the 8 x 10 of the wife and I and the cup framed.

You Canadians have a cool city in Toronto by the way. Great place. When I tell you about the deal I got for CAN $180.00 you'll puke. It was almost grand theft it was so cheap.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would have to say Lightning/Red Wings. If we lose, then it's "Hey, it was the Red Wings, nothing to be ashamed about." But if we pull it off, it's big time credibility.

Plus you have newer team/original team, young team/old team...lots of comparisons like that.

Lightning are the original southern hockey team. Red Wings original six. Could be fun.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BucJeff@Apr 21 2004, 02:50 PM
    I would have to say Lightning/Red Wings. If we lose, then it's "Hey, it was the Red Wings, nothing to be ashamed about." But if we pull it off, it's big time credibility.

Plus you have newer team/original team, young team/old team...lots of comparisons like that.

Lightning are the original southern hockey team. Red Wings original six. Could be fun.
    Very valid points Jeff. They beat the Wings not only is it instant credibility, it's big momentum for seasons to come. Even if they lose, if they play tough, which we all know they would, they still come out smelling like roses.

Last Wings game I went to was the 1-1 tie with Tampa. Sat 3rd row from the ice. Dave Andreychuk is possibly the largest individual I've ever seen. Tampa played tough and skated great.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good point about Tampa -more free skating instead of clutching and grabbing like Minnesota last year with Lemaire as coach.

It is better for the game they emphasize this-one of things they they are thinking about increasing the goalie crease to increase scoring.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by faba@Apr 21 2004, 03:19 PM
    Good point about Tampa -more free skating instead of clutching and grabbing like Minnesota last year with Lemaire as coach.

It is better for the game they emphasize this-one of things they they are thinking about increasing the goalie crease to increase scoring.
    The whole clutching, grabbing, holding, neutral zone trap crap nearly ruined hockey. Glad to see teams as a whole have found a way to defeat these styles and knock those teams out of the playoffs or playoff race all together. When I watch 80s hockey vs now it's unbelievable.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    PHI/DET

Exorsized NJ, now its time for DET

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Stewdawg@Apr 22 2004, 10:34 PM
    PHI/DET

Exorsized NJ, now its time for DET
    Well if they keep playing like they did tonight we'll never see that matchup. The Wings really looked old.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't watched hockey in a while, but I'm pulling for the Whalers and the North Stars.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by The Troll@Apr 23 2004, 12:25 AM
    I haven't watched hockey in a while, but I'm pulling for the Whalers and the North Stars.
    The North Stars are out of it, try pulling for the Nordiques, they're a bunch of good guys.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Stewdawg+Apr 23 2004, 10:35 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Stewdawg @ Apr 23 2004, 10:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--The Troll@Apr 23 2004, 12:25 AM
    I haven&#39;t watched hockey in a while, but I&#39;m pulling for the Whalers and the North Stars.
    The North Stars are out of it, try pulling for the Nordiques, they&#39;re a bunch of good guys. [/b][/quote]
    Winnipeg has as good of a chance as any. :lol:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like