Thread: Instability spreads to Saudi Arabia

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blast levels Saudi Arabian security building

Wednesday 21 April 2004, 19:53 Makka Time, 16:53 GMT

At least six Saudi security personnel are believed dead after at least one car bomb demolished a building in the capital Riyadh.

The blast on Wednesday afternoon clogged with smoke the central al-Muraba and al-Washm quarters of Riyadh which also houses the state television and the information ministry.

Witnesses said a human bomber drove the explosives-laden car into the building, used by security services. Local residents said the front of a building had been completely blown off.

"Six members of the security forces were killed. They include a colonel from the public security department and the department's financial director," the official told reporters requesting anonymity.

The attack also left "around 60 people injured, including the
    head of the traffic department, Brigadier Fahd al-Bishr," he said.

The picture from the scene is still sketchy with some reports saying two blasts had gone off. "The explosion resulted from two car bombs that were parked about 15 metres away from the building," a police official told reporters.

He said "a number of charred bodies" were carried away from the scene. Rescue workers are still going through the rubble to recover bodies and survivors.

Hanan Battisha, an Egyptian housewife, heard a "big blast" and rushed down the stairs with her two children, 14 and 11.

"We heard wails and cries, then saw our neighbours running down the stairs," she said. By the time they reached the ground floor, "the gate was damaged, windows started shattering, and glass fell all over us."

[b]Witnesses say the blast was
    caused by a human bomber[/b]

"The fronts of the buildings around us were damaged, the air conditioners mangled and there was smoke everywhere," she said.

Islamist dissidents

Islamist fighters who see the country as a US satrap have stepped up attacks on Saudi Arabia's security services.

Five policemen died last week and army units defused three car bombs in the capital.

Saudi-born Usama bin Ladin has also called for the removal of the country's monarch and his al-Qaida network is accused of killing nearly 50 people in the kingdom last year.

Last Thursday, the United States ordered its non-essential diplomats out of the Gulf Arab state and told all Americans that they should leave, citing fresh signals of possible attacks on US and Western interests.

Human bombings at foreign residential compounds in Riyadh
    killed 50 people last year, including nine Americans.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    WCM -

Just curious - how would you go about fighting terrorism?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Apr 21 2004, 01:22 PM
    [b] WCM -

Just curious - how would you go about fighting terrorism? [/b][/quote]
    Let me guess. Pull al of our bases out of the middle east. Issue a public apology to Osama for our policys. Announce the release of all jailed terrorists. Put Saddam Hussein back in power in Iraq. Assist Iran with thier nuculear proliferation. Does that sound about right?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [b] WCM -

1) Walk or bicycle to nearest beach.
    2) Dig hole approximately three inches in diameter (large enough to fit his head).
    3) Stick head in hole.
    4) Pull surrounding sand into head-filled hole.
    5) Optional step: lube rear end with non-petroleum lubricant to prepare for terrorist onslaught.

Maxman
    [b] WCM -

Does he ever answer any of your questions? They certainly seem like legitimate questions to me.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Maxman+Apr 21 2004, 03:11 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Maxman @ Apr 21 2004, 03:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jets5ever[/i]@Apr 21 2004, 01:22 PM
    [b] WCM -

Does he ever answer any of your questions? They certainly seem like legitimate questions to me. [/b][/quote]
    He basically ignores me, he&#39;s done so ever since the old board. His ego is only outmatched by his ignorance, and when challenged, he usually backs down.

He&#39;ll post some garbage saying either (1) capitalism is evil or (2) government in general is evil or (3) terrorists are justified or (4) the USA is the REAL terrorist state or some such boilerplate Chomskyite drivel that boils down to "America = Satan and everyone else = infallible, so long as their actions and motives contradict America&#39;s." He thinks that half-assed "insight" like that justifies his gleeful reactions to the deaths of innocent civilians. Oh, but he&#39;s also a "compassionate" person and will talk endlessly about Iraqi civilians lives, yet never acknowledge the lives lost under Hussein or the uncomfrtable fact that those same terrorists he considers to be righteous, brave and noble also routinely murder on the basis of race and religion, and oppress their women to an extent not even mentionable in crass company.

Of course, he chooses to LIVE in America, however. He&#39;ll "fight" for his causes, so long as he doesn&#39;t have to actually DO anything. I&#39;ve met dozens of people like him who are pefectly content to reap the benefits of the society they ostensibly deplore. They honestly, truly believe that they are important or even noticed by 99.9% of Americans. Women with hairy armpits who listen to Ani DeFranco probably think he&#39;s "wise" but most rational people see through the lame disguise and realize that he&#39;s just the kid that nobody wanted to eat lunch with in grade school and he&#39;s STILL pissed at the world about it....He hates conformity, so he takes predictably "alternative" positions. Kind of like when Lisa described Bart&#39;s earring as "rebellious, in a conformist sort of way..."

Maxman
    If I could go back and do it all over again I would be much nicer to the kids that sat by themselves during lunch. Had I done that I would sleep much better now. I would feel so much safer.

Good point 5Ever.