Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Photos released in error

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [img]http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/04/23/24COFFINS_R,0.jpg[/img]

what do you guys think of the photos that were released? if the US is so proud of this war and how its the right thing, how come we are not allowing pictures of the coffins to be printed?

if the fallen are Heros then why do we hide them?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Apr 23 2004, 01:21 PM
    [b] [img]http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/04/23/24COFFINS_R,0.jpg[/img]

what do you guys think of the photos that were released? if the US is so proud of this war and how its the right thing, how come we are not allowing pictures of the coffins to be printed?

if the fallen are Heros then why do we hide them? [/b][/quote]
    For the same reason we shouldn't say that statically only 0.4% of the active military have been killed in action.

For the same reason that the media hasn't published the fact that more soldiers died in training accidents and off duty car crashes than have died in combat in both wars over the last two years.

You know why. Deaths of servicemen shouldn't be used as propaganda for or against the war.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no problem with the pictures being shown/released as they are a stark reminder of what people are willing to sacrifice for our nation. These pictures, like the images of 9-11, should be shown constantly.

But unfortunately as Weeb said they will be used as propaganda...more than likely from the left.

Any person (Kerry) or party (the rats) using selected quotes from a yet unreleased book (as Kerry did with Woodward's book Sunday on MTP) is in dire need of anything they can get their hands on to bring down their opponent rather then build themselves up...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Spirit of Weeb+Apr 23 2004, 01:36 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Spirit of Weeb @ Apr 23 2004, 01:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--bitonti[/i]@Apr 23 2004, 01:21 PM

For the same reason we shouldn&#39;t say that statically only 0.4% of the active military have been killed in action.

For the same reason that the media hasn&#39;t published the fact that more soldiers died in training accidents and off duty car crashes than have died in combat in both wars over the last two years.

You know why. Deaths of servicemen shouldn&#39;t be used as propaganda for or against the war. [/b][/quote]
    Agreed. The Tet Offensive in the last 60s was a disaster for the North Vietnamese, yet the media portrayed it as a defeat to the Americans, which became a nice propaganda tool for the anti-war protesters. There has been no where near the # of deaths in Vietnam compared to the Iraq war.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The coffins are seen as a reminder that in war there is death. No one ever says...I expect to not lose one soldier in a war..hey even when we invaded Grenada we lost soldiers....it happens.

We could have planned the whole war a whole lot better but they didn&#39;t. Too little man power means trying to adjust later on.

I feel bad for the troops who have to spend 1+ years there. The longer they are there the less chance they come home....alive.

Those people dont want us there. I amd starting to develop a hatred towards those a-rabs. They never will assimilate here and they want some curtain covered Imam to lead their nation...whatever. I say lets secure a nice and safe source of oil...(nigeria, mexico, another non opec state) and leave on June 30....

To hell with Iraq...and those bastards...

LL

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Apr 23 2004, 01:21 PM
    [b] what do you guys think of the photos that were released? if the US is so proud of this war and how its the right thing, how come we are not allowing pictures of the coffins to be printed?

Yet again you post this as a slam against the current administration. You probably don&#39;t care but the regulation against showing these type of pictures has been in place since 1991. It is there to prevent exploitation of this type of picture and out of respect for the families of those killed.

And I&#39;m sure your concern is not for the heros.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Piper[/i]@Apr 23 2004, 04:19 PM
    [b] Yet again you post this as a slam against the current administration. You probably don&#39;t care but the regulation against showing these type of pictures has been in place since 1991. It is there to prevent exploitation of this type of picture and out of respect for the families of those killed.

And I&#39;m sure your concern is not for the heros. [/b][/quote]
    all i did was ask a question Piper you put in all the rest of those thoughts like you know me or something. You don&#39;t know me so don&#39;t act like you do.

I have great concern for the soldiers in the field but they aren&#39;t heros they are victims. These men died for what? So Iraqis can enjoy liberal democracy? <_< yeah ... ok.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    NOT HEROES??? Those soldiers died to protect your freedom to say what you want no matter how inappropriate. They died helping our country export our love of freedom and democracy.

For those of you who dont get it I&#39;ll explain it one more time. The goal of this war in Iraq is to plant the seeds of freedom and Democracy in the heart of the middle east. The hope is that once there democracy will spread to neighboring countries. The hypothesis is that free democratic societies do not spread evil. They do not export terror, and therefore it is in this country&#39;s interest to support the spread for democracy throughout the world.

Now you might say that this goal is pointless. Thats your opinion. Personally, I would disagree. Nonetheless to state in no uncertain terms that our soldiers are not heroes, due to your opinion that their fight is a pointless one is just plain ignorant.

People like you were yelling and screaming when Reagan called the USSR the evil empire. Guys like Hannoi John Kerry were screaming to shrink our nuculear arsenal while Reagan was winning the cold war by doing just the opposite. What you should realise is that your opinions, while valid, are just opinions and they could be wrong. It wouldnt be the first time the left in this country was wrong about somthing (see above). As a matter of fact it would be one of the only times in recent memory that the left was correct about somthing.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    they died for Iraqi freedom... not American... unless you want to count the freedom to pump cheap gasoline

that my friends makes it even more tragic...

just because a man dies in uniform doesn&#39;t automatically qualify him as a Hero. It depends on the circumstances.

chiefst2000 the doctrine you talk about is called the PNAC doctrine and its logic is flawed. You see the animals that are over there, do you really believe they are capable of democracy? give them the right to vote and they will elect the biggest raghead zealot and turn their country into a theocracy. Anyone who didn&#39;t vote for this man would be stoned in the street with rocks. That would be the extent of democracy in Iraq. <_<

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Spirit of Weeb+Apr 23 2004, 01:36 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Spirit of Weeb @ Apr 23 2004, 01:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--bitonti[/i]@Apr 23 2004, 01:21 PM

For the same reason we shouldn&#39;t say that statically only 0.4% of the active military have been killed in action.

For the same reason that the media hasn&#39;t published the fact that more soldiers died in training accidents and off duty car crashes than have died in combat in both wars over the last two years.

You know why. Deaths of servicemen shouldn&#39;t be used as propaganda for or against the war. [/b][/quote]
    Reducing Marine deaths to a statistic. Kinda like a traffic accident huh ?

I&#39;ll remember that the next time you start waving your flag.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by WestCoastMole[/i]@Apr 23 2004, 08:05 PM
    [b]

I&#39;ll remember that the next time you start waving your flag. [/b][/quote]
    And we&#39;ll all remember it next time you start burning yours.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]For those of you who dont get it I&#39;ll explain it one more time. The goal of this war in Iraq is to plant the seeds of freedom and Democracy in the heart of the middle east. The hope is that once there democracy will spread to neighboring countries. The hypothesis is that free democratic societies do not spread evil. They do not export terror, and therefore it is in this country&#39;s interest to support the spread for democracy throughout the world.
    [/b][/quote]

The hypothosis isn&#39;t valid because it is not really part of the agenda, its the BS the administration is feeding us and you&#39;ve eaten up. Democracy is the smallest part of this mission, and from all account looks like it won&#39;t become a reality. Besides the idea itself it ludicrous. A form of government doesn&#39;t dictate terrorism. In fact, a democracy is proberly better for a terrorist, since they live in an open society. It is a lot harder to get away with things in a police state with the likes of the KGB, the Gestapo, etc... McVeigh lived in a democracy. (ohh wait I fogot big bad Sadaam put him up to it.)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Apr 23 2004, 05:36 PM
    [b] they died for Iraqi freedom... not American... unless you want to count the freedom to pump cheap gasoline

[/b][/quote]
    Gasoline is cheap these days?

Do you realize your basic premise isn&#39;t even correct?