Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pats draft and the Jets draft (day 1)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets and Pats did really well
    Hill from LSU i saw a couple of times and he was more impressive than the more hyped d-line interior guy that played for them.
    He reminded me a little like Ted Hendrick type with a lot more quickness.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by pope[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 10:39 AM
    [b] You forgot to mention our 2nd round pick....Justin McCaerins ;) [/b][/quote]
    Right, and I forgot to mention [i]our[/i] second round pick, Corey Dillon.

Though again: the way the draft played out made the J-Mac trade look pretty good. Lee Evans was BPAWR at 12, Devery Henderson was BPAWR at the Jets 2nd..... if MacCareins ends up being what Jets fans think he can be, Bradway will have had an excellent offseeason, the terrible Barrett contract aside.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetsfreak[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 10:41 AM
    [b] :ph34r: wilfork was a great pick but did u guys really need a TE and I think Gus Scott is a good player but you could have gotten a better DB. [/b][/quote]
    [quote][b]:ph34r: wilfork was a great pick but did u guys really need a TE[/b][/quote]

Assuming we like two-TE sets: yes. yes we did. Our 3rd TE is a nobody named Fred Baxter, and our 2nd TE is 33 and in the final year of his contract.

Basically the team didn't have room for another WR. So if BB wanted to give Brady another weapon TE was the best place to go.

It seems pretty smart in retrospect, but I have to admit almost no Pats fans foresaw it.

[quote][b]I think Gus Scott is a good player but you could have gotten a better DB.[/b][/quote]

So do we. Scott sounds legitimately intriguing, but he was a reach and Strait and Ware were both within easy striking distance.

That pick definitely falls into the "In BB we trust" category.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't understand why people can't understand the watson pick. if the pats had taken a wr nobody would have said anything even though they have 7 on the roster already. pats like to run 2 te sets and this could give the pats two very good ones. pats had few holes, many picks, which gives them the opportunity to take what others consider a luxury - a 2nd TE. I'm thrilled with the pick, considering Woods was already gone. I'd rather watson than a reach for a guard.

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PFSIKH[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 09:21 AM
    [b] Watson a very good blocker allows the Patriots to go 2 TE in the redzone and pound the ball with Dillon. Now, when teams put 8 in the box, Brady can play action and hit a TE for a TD. [/b][/quote]
    Actually from all the reports I read, Watson really needs to work on his blocking as that's the biggest weakness in his game. To me it looks like if we could put Graham's blocking and Watson's catching together, we would have a top 5 TE. :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk+Apr 25 2004, 02:40 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (huskeralk @ Apr 25 2004, 02:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--PFSIKH[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 09:21 AM
    [b] Watson a very good blocker allows the Patriots to go 2 TE in the redzone and pound the ball with Dillon. Now, when teams put 8 in the box, Brady can play action and hit a TE for a TD. [/b][/quote]
    Actually from all the reports I read, Watson really needs to work on his blocking as that&#39;s the biggest weakness in his game. To me it looks like if we could put Graham&#39;s blocking and Watson&#39;s catching together, we would have a top 5 TE. :lol: [/b][/quote]
    From what I&#39;ve heard he&#39;s got some technical flaws, but he&#39;s a pretty good, vicious, strong blocker.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did the Pats fans listen to 850AM Weei this morning? They were tearing the Patriots drafting Watson apart. BOTTOM LINE all this CF free agent crap is hearsay.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PFSIKH[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 09:21 AM
    [b]

Fauria, much to Garbanza&#39;s detriment is gone after this season (i.e. last year of contract). [/b][/quote]
    ...at least I will be able to feast my eyes upon the most beautiful man in the world for one more year. You know what they say, better to have lusted and lost than never to have lusted at all&#33; :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by usafsuperman[/i]@Apr 26 2004, 09:31 PM
    [b]Did the Pats fans listen to 850AM Weei this morning? They were tearing the Patriots drafting Watson apart. BOTTOM LINE all this CF free agent crap is hearsay.[/b][/quote]
    "Measured in for scouts at a shade over 6&#39;3 and nearly 255 pounds, Watson repeatedly ran in the mid 4.4 range during last April&#39;s spring workouts. Watson&#39;s impressive athletic ability does not end there, however - bench presses 535 pounds, squats 570, power cleans 380, and has a ridiculous 40" vertical jump."

OK lets get the negatives out of the way: his college production was iffy (though theres some extenuating circumstances), and he&#39;s been knocked for sometimes disappearing from games.

Put that aside for just one moment.

Watson runs in the 4.4 range consistantly. He&#39;s average sized for a TE, which still makes him HUGE. He&#39;s freak strong, freak fast, and has an incredible vertical jump for a man his size. He has all the intelligence you could ask for in a football player. His record of charitable work is a mile long.

It&#39;s by no means a liklihood, but consider the possibility that he will be getting looks as a slot reciever: he&#39;s a 6&#39;3 250 lb brute with the athleticism to possibly play WR....

Lets compare him with another tight end....

Watson:

4.44 40-yard dash
    535 lb bench press
    40 inch vertical jump
    41 Wonderlic score

Tight End xxxx

4.62 40-yard dash
    340 lb bench press
    33 inch vertical jump
    12 Wonderlic score

I&#39;ll let you guess who the anonymous TE is.

Watson is a swing for the fences pick: he&#39;s raw, but he has ENORMOUS upside, and the potential to be a true "impact player" for the Patriots offense.

He&#39;s a gamble on greatness.... and the Pats are in a position where they can afford that gamble.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by RichardSeymour[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 10:55 AM
    [b] Our 3rd TE is a nobody named Fred Baxter [/b][/quote]
    THE Fred Baxter, former Jet?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Brooklyn Jet+Apr 26 2004, 10:25 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Brooklyn Jet @ Apr 26 2004, 10:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--RichardSeymour[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 10:55 AM
    [b] Our 3rd TE is a nobody named Fred Baxter [/b][/quote]
    THE Fred Baxter, former Jet? [/b][/quote]
    I believe so, yes.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, and here&#39;s the college production.

Watson:

4.44 40-yard dash
    535 lb bench press
    40 inch vertical jump
    41 Wonderlic score
    14.03 YPC

Tight End xxxx

4.62 40-yard dash
    340 lb bench press
    33 inch vertical jump
    12 Wonderlic score
    12.9 YPC

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by usafsuperman[/i]@Apr 26 2004, 09:31 PM
    [b] Did the Pats fans listen to 850AM Weei this morning? They were tearing the Patriots drafting Watson apart. BOTTOM LINE all this CF free agent crap is hearsay. [/b][/quote]
    a. Every Pats fan knows that Dennis and Callahan are clowns who talk more about politics and tv shows then sports.
    b. Fauria is a free agent after this season there is no heresay about it. And he is 33 or 34 years old and not getting any younger.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by RichardSeymour[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 10:52 AM
    [b] the terrible Barrett contract aside. [/b][/quote]
    Stop the Barrett bull&#036;hit&#33;

The fact is that noone on this board knows anything about him and please don&#39;t pretend like you do. The guy could be awesome. So please reserve the "terrible contract" tag until after you see the guy play. <_<

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bleedgreen+Apr 26 2004, 11:30 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Bleedgreen @ Apr 26 2004, 11:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--RichardSeymour[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 10:52 AM

The fact is that noone on this board knows anything about him and please don&#39;t pretend like you do. The guy could be awesome. So please reserve the "terrible contract" tag until after you see the guy play. <_< [/b][/quote]
    I know nothing about how Barrett will play.

But Bradway overpayed. Clear cut. He shelled out a lot of money for a guy no one seemed to be after.

Now it may be that Barrett turns out to be a diamond in the rough, and this was a shrewd, brilliant move by Bradway.

But until proven otherwise it was a [b]bad contract[/b].

Likewise, I havn&#39;t seen Barton play, but for Barton&#39;s proven production, it was a pretty good contract.

Bradway overpayed. Sorry dude.

Doesn&#39;t mean Barett might not end up playing well, and in hindsight this might be considered a steal.... but there&#39;s no compelling reason to think that. Likewise Barton might end up sucking, and his contract might end up being considered a terrible one.... but there&#39;s no compelling reason to think that.

Bradway signed Barrett to a large contract that provides the Jets no early outs, contrary to myth.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by RichardSeymour+Apr 26 2004, 11:43 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (RichardSeymour @ Apr 26 2004, 11:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -Bleedgreen@Apr 26 2004, 11:30 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--RichardSeymour[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 10:52 AM

The fact is that noone on this board knows anything about him and please don&#39;t pretend like you do. The guy could be awesome. So please reserve the "terrible contract" tag until after you see the guy play. <_< [/b][/quote]
    I know nothing about how Barrett will play.

But Bradway overpayed. Clear cut. He shelled out a lot of money for a guy no one seemed to be after.

Now it may be that Barrett turns out to be a diamond in the rough, and this was a shrewd, brilliant move by Bradway.

But until proven otherwise it was a [b]bad contract[/b].

Likewise, I havn&#39;t seen Barton play, but for Barton&#39;s proven production, it was a pretty good contract.

Bradway overpayed. Sorry dude.

Doesn&#39;t mean Barett might not end up playing well, and in hindsight this might be considered a steal.... but there&#39;s no compelling reason to think that. Likewise Barton might end up sucking, and his contract might end up being considered a terrible one.... but there&#39;s no compelling reason to think that.

Bradway signed Barrett to a large contract that provides the Jets no early outs, contrary to myth. [/b][/quote]
    So basically RichardSeymour, you&#39;re taking the "guilty until proven innocent" approach. Very convenient to just change the rules when your trying to make a point.

Reminds me of your "Chad doesn&#39;t win when his D allows 18" thing. Not a lot of water being held in that argument either. 18? Such a common score that everyone hits in a game. :rolleyes:

I guess in your world everything makes sense. :lol:

As a bystandard, I just don&#39;t see the problem with reserving judgement until he actually does play? :unsure:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by RichardSeymour[/i]@Apr 26 2004, 11:43 PM
    [b] But Bradway overpayed. Clear cut. He shelled out a lot of money for a guy no one seemed to be after [/b][/quote]
    RS, actually Barrett drew interest from a number of teams ... he wasn&#39;t immediately signed cause the teams that needed a CB were all making a run at the same big name guys, but once the last one went off the market {Winfield} the Jets knew they had to move fast

But I distinctly recall the NY newspapers naming Barrett as one of the corners who was drawing interest from the Jets and other teams very early in the process

I do believe we overpaid, but to some extent we had too ... the Jets were not bidding against themselves

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]So basically RichardSeymour, you&#39;re taking the "guilty until proven innocent" approach. Very convenient to just change the rules when your trying to make a point.[/b][/quote]

No, I&#39;m making an honest assessment of the contract. Note that I say Barton was signed to a good contract: I don&#39;t know how he&#39;ll play either, but based on his production it&#39;s a good contract.

[quote][b]Reminds me of your "Chad doesn&#39;t win when his D allows 18" thing. Not a lot of water being held in that argument either. 18? Such a common score that everyone hits in a game. :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]

And when they hit it, Chad loses.

[quote][b]I guess in your world everything makes sense. :lol:[/b][/quote]

It&#39;s called logic. You should try it, rather than putting blinders on and refusing to look at Barrett critically just because he&#39;s a Jet.

[quote][b]As a bystandard, I just don&#39;t see the problem with reserving judgement until he actually does play? :unsure:[/b][/quote]

I am reserving judgment on how he&#39;ll perform in a Jets uniform, I&#39;m merely making a reasoned judgment that based on his production, history, and the reported level of interest in him around the league, Bradway overpayed

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham[/i]@Apr 27 2004, 12:07 AM
    [b] RS, actually Barrett drew interest from a number of teams ... he wasn&#39;t immediately signed cause the teams that needed a CB were all making a run at the same big name guys, but once the last one went off the market {Winfield} the Jets knew they had to move fast

But I distinctly recall the NY newspapers naming Barrett as one of the corners who was drawing interest from the Jets and other teams very early in the process

I do believe we overpaid, but to some extent we had too ... the Jets were not bidding against themselves [/b][/quote]
    Certainly true: Barrett was a starter in this league, and it&#39;s hardly like he was in any danger of going unsigned.

But Bradway *did* overpay, and every dollar you overpay a player is a dollar you can&#39;t use somewhere else.

It&#39;s hard being a Bradway hater these days though. Barton was a good sign. Bradway had a pretty good draft (at the top at least... down through Cotchery, who really does fill an important need).... He hasn&#39;t done much worth criticism lately, other than overpaying Barrett.

Veteran
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by RichardSeymour[/i]@Apr 27 2004, 12:12 AM
    [b]

But Bradway *did* overpay, and every dollar you overpay a player is a dollar you can&#39;t use somewhere else.

[/b][/quote]
    Yes of course he did in Patsy world, ....and the Patsie&#39;s never do that ....right?

(cough, Roosevelt Colvin....cough, cough)

Geez, let the guy play a few games first.

Like others have said, CBs were a hot market this year and the price was heavy to land one.

Just look at the Super Duper Pats. Didn&#39;t the Pats wind up trading Ty Law for a first this year and a first next year or something like that. :P