Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sooooooo, Does Sam Cowart get cut?

All League
    Sam I Am gets one more year of playing half the snaps so that Vilma can develop physically. If he returns to his old form, then we have a nice problem, otherwise he's off to Minnesota...

[quote][i]Originally posted by JonEJet[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 08:21 PM
    [b] We just paid the man a $1 million roster bonus

The man is our starting MLB...and will return to form this year!! [/b][/quote]
    this is the most important post in the thread so far -

money talks and the other stuff walks

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by sandz[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 08:45 PM
    [b] barton 98 tckls 38 ast .5 sacks 1 fumble forced
    cowart 96 tckls 44 ast 2 sacks 1 fumble forced and he played one less game last year

so how is barton better than cowart??? [/b][/quote]
    Barton had 6 sacks and 2 picks in the superbowl season for Oakland

their defense was pititful last year due to a slow old team, much like us last season, but he is younger faster and more aggressive and plays WLB Cowart is naturally a ILB albeit better suited for a 3-4 but they are different players Barton is clearly better at this point though Cowart has done zip since he's been with us, his ass and his big contract is on the line here

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 09:45 PM
    [b]
    money talks and the other stuff walks [/b][/quote]
    Any idea what Cowart's numbers look like after this year?

Matt...I agree (totally) with you & JonE. But not only will Cowart get the snaps, he's going back to his premier playing days like when he was in Buffalo, against us.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Baddniss[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 08:51 PM
    [b] Matt...I agree (totally) with you & JonE. But not only will Cowart get the snaps, he's going back to his premier playing days like when he was in Buffalo, against us. [/b][/quote]
    even if he does, hes gone next year with Vilma taking his spot

Agreed. But that's NEXT year. I'm just trying to deal with one season at a time. All I'm focused on is THIS upcoming season. I know that might be short-sighted, but so much changes each year now in the NFL (with free agency), you cant really do long term planning because of the cap, injuries, and the huge effect of free agency on each team. I truly believe that.

TomShane
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Baddniss[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 08:51 PM
    [b] Matt...I agree (totally) with you & JonE. But not only will Cowart get the snaps, he's going back to his premier playing days like when he was in Buffalo, against us. [/b][/quote]
    Ironically, if Sam returns to form and plays great, then we just pissed away a first round pick on a guy who will not play for our team.

[quote][i]Originally posted by TomShane+Apr 25 2004, 09:13 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (TomShane @ Apr 25 2004, 09:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Baddniss[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 08:51 PM
    [b] Matt...I agree (totally) with you & JonE. But not only will Cowart get the snaps, he&#39;s going back to his premier playing days like when he was in Buffalo, against us. [/b][/quote]
    Ironically, if Sam returns to form and plays great, then we just pissed away a first round pick on a guy who will not play for our team. [/b][/quote]
    if Cowart plays REALLY amazing, i think its Barton who gets cut or goes to the bench and Vilma going to the outside

[quote][i]Originally posted by Chrisrud+Apr 25 2004, 08:26 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Chrisrud @ Apr 25 2004, 08:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--WestCoastMole[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 08:18 PM
    [b] Unlikely Herm does not like to give starting spots to rookies. Robertson last year was an unusual situation. [/b][/quote]
    He has a short history and started hid first round pick last year...How do you judge him???? [/b][/quote]
    only because Evans was a druggie

Thomas didnt start
    Moss didnt start

With injuries so common over a 16 game schedule (plus pre-season games), we really COULD go into the season with FOUR top LB&#39;s. Thats NOT a crime in the NFL. Having a good back-up helps in case of an injury.(See Chad Pennington & the NY Jets , 2003, Season record 6-10.)

TomShane
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Baddniss[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 09:20 PM
    [b] With injuries so common over a 16 game schedule (plus pre-season games), we really COULD go into the season with FOUR top LB&#39;s. Thats NOT a crime in the NFL. Having a good back-up helps in case of an injury.(See Chad Pennington & the NY Jets , 2003, Season record 6-10.) [/b][/quote]
    We just spent the #12 pick on a "good back-up"? <_<

JetsInsider.com Legend
    2004: Cowart Starts, Vilma gets some playing time in a developmental role.

2005: Vilma takes over for Cowart unless Cowart plays great and Vilma plays very badly.

Hobson is the Starting OLB on his side, Period. Barton is the Starting guy on the other side, Period.

If we play the 3-4, with four LB&#39;s, then I think Vilma and Cowart play together in the middle, with Barton and Hobson on the outside.

J.Abe will NOT see the LB position this year. He wiill occasionally line up ouside the TE in a psudo-OLB/Hybrid DE position, but he will NOT play the real OLB spot.

Possible Jets 3-4 D Lineup:

DE - John Abraham
    NT - Deayne Robertson
    DE - Sean Ellis
    OLB - Barton
    MLB - John Vilma
    MLB - Sam Cowart
    OLB - Victor Hobson
    CB - Donnie Abraham
    CB - Barrett/Strait
    SS - R. Tongue
    FS - John McGraw

Backup NT - Evans/Furgy
    Backup DE - Thomas
    Backup LB - Glenn/D.Mcclover
    Backup/#3 CB - Mickens/Strait
    Backup Safety - Coleman/Pagel

So, what do you think?

Talk to your front office , not me. Tom, thats really the problem with this "lets draft the best available player" bullsh**. This is what it leads to. If Cowart does go back to his old form, youre not gonna sit him down. He was a monster.Barton or Hobson would sit if no-one got injured.BAP is a bad concept. Things change. Thats why guys like Tom Landry arent around any more. The game changes, evolves. The old accepted concepts arent guaranteed to work any more. Because of changes in things like free agency, the draft (and its associated principles) are changed too. This is a good example of that. I laugh at people who talk about BAP today. You need to draft for YOUR SPECIFIC NEEDS first, not this BAP garbage.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [quote][b]You draft for YOUR SPECIFIC NEEDS first.
    [/b][/quote]

Yes, and one of our needs was a replacement for a worthless loser of a veteran who has proven, in his time in New York, that he is, without a doubt, the "Curtis Conway" of the Jets Defense.

I will be happy if Cowart returns to Buffalo form, but so far he has not shown that he will. Vilma is a Stud and will help our biggest weakness in 2003, the RUN, if he is allowed to play.

Veteran
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 09:27 PM
    [b] 2004: Cowart Starts, Vilma gets some playing time in a developmental role.

2005: Vilma takes over for Cowart unless Cowart plays great and Vilma plays very badly.

Hobson is the Starting OLB on his side, Period. Barton is the Starting guy on the other side, Period.

If we play the 3-4, with four LB&#39;s, then I think Vilma and Cowart play together in the middle, with Barton and Hobson on the outside.

J.Abe will NOT see the LB position this year. He wiill occasionally line up ouside the TE in a psudo-OLB/Hybrid DE position, but he will NOT play the real OLB spot.

Possible Jets 3-4 D Lineup:

DE - John Abraham
    NT - Deayne Robertson
    DE - Sean Ellis
    OLB - Barton
    MLB - John Vilma
    MLB - Sam Cowart
    OLB - Victor Hobson
    CB - Donnie Abraham
    CB - Barrett/Strait
    SS - R. Tongue
    FS - John McGraw

Backup NT - Evans/Furgy
    Backup DE - Thomas
    Backup LB - Glenn/D.Mcclover
    Backup/#3 CB - Mickens/Strait
    Backup Safety - Coleman/Pagel

So, what do you think? [/b][/quote]
    I think that this defense can be good [b]if[/b] Fergy and D-Rob are atleast average on the DL. I am expecting Ellis and Abraham to both go to the Pro Bowl this season&#33;&#33;&#33;

I have a feeling they will play both 3-4 & 4-3

Calling Cowart "The Curtis Conway of our defense" is REALLY HARSH and a bit of an over-statement. You have truly insulted him with that one. Bottom line, lets see how he does in his proper position ( in the middle) this year & then make a decision. I think you may be surprised at his play this year. He is now finally healthy too.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Baddniss[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 09:39 PM
    [b] Calling Cowart "The Curtis Conway of our defense" is REALLY HARSH and a bit of an over-statement. You have truly insulted him with that one. Bottom line, lets see how he does in his proper position ( in the middle) this year & then make a decision. I think you may be surprised at his play this year. He is now finally healthy too. [/b][/quote]
    I hope you are right Baddniss, I really do. For once I&#39;d like to have TOO MANY good LB&#39;s rather than TOO FEW, LOL&#33;

I like Cowart, but I am seriously dissapointed in him so far. He has not made a difference to our D, and has, at times, played VERY out of position, letting opposing offenses get big yards when he should have been there to make the stop.

Like I said, too many good LB&#39;s is a problem I would LOVE to have&#33;

Your comment about "out of position " was right on. My point is that this problem has now been rectified. He has been moved back to where is comfortable. I believe this will show in his play.

[quote][i]Originally posted by JonEJet[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 08:21 PM
    [b] We just paid the man a &#036;1 million roster bonus

The man is our starting MLB...and will return to form this year&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Yeah really.

It is just unbelievable how so many forget the type of player Cowart was before his injury.

He&#39;s had to play with 2 of the worst LB&#39;s in the league the last couple of years, no offense to Marvin and Mo, but they played one year too long. Cowart was also playing out of position.

Geez, this guy was a top 5 LB in the LEAGUE not too long ago.

He&#39;s still only 28.

What gives?