Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 70

Thread: Sooooooo, Does Sam Cowart get cut?

  1. #41
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,555
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see Cowart on the team but with a reduced role. He won't be cut though this year.

  2. #42
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,471
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cowart has been a bummer, but he's healthier than he's been post injury. He's likely to have his [b]best[/b] and [b]last[/b] year as a Jets in 2004. They have four guys for three spots. They can all play at different spots. There should be good competition. That's what you want.

  3. #43
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,566
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r: whoa whoa whoa....before you jump to conclusions....training camp has not even begin yet!!! Cowart WILL NOT be cut..that would be stupid...Vilma will see much playing time in 2004....cowart is a key member of our linebacking corp.....people seem to forget that he had a good 2003 season.

  4. #44
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,471
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetsfreak[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 11:16 PM
    [b] :ph34r: whoa whoa whoa....before you jump to conclusions....training camp has not even begin yet!!! Cowart WILL NOT be cut..that would be stupid...Vilma will see much playing time in 2004....cowart is a key member of our linebacking corp.....people seem to forget that he had a good 2003 season. [/b][/quote]
    I was with you until you said he had a good 2003. He was better than the [b]two statues[/b] he played with, but I would not call his play last year - [i]good[/i].

    Cowart will be playing for a contract, that could help some.

  5. #45
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    5,977
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Cowart had a decent 2003. Not good. Decent. I think he'll be much better this year.

    I dont see what everyone's all worried about. The Pats proved you need good backups when guys inevitably get dinged up. The fact that there's probably six LBers on the roster now that they could confidently put on the field and not be worried about is nothing but good. Just because a guy doesnt start doesnt mean he wont get major snaps.

  6. #46
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,471
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Brooklyn Jet[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 11:25 PM
    [b] I think Cowart had a decent 2003. Not good. Decent. I think he'll be much better this year.

    I dont see what everyone's all worried about. The Pats proved you need good backups when guys inevitably get dinged up. The fact that there's probably six LBers on the roster now that they could confidently put on the field and not be worried about is nothing but good. Just because a guy doesnt start doesnt mean he wont get major snaps. [/b][/quote]
    I agree.

  7. #47
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    2,072
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is a tough issue. How about franchising J.Abe next season - getting a nice 1st rounder for him and then playing barton,vilma,hobson,cowart. I really think cowart can come back to form, he doesn't have to run across the field anymore and can just concentrate on laying guys out. I want to see Vilma play as much as the next guy but he can wait one year to start. The interesting thing will be what to do in the 2005-06 season if cowart DOES return to form, who gets the short end? All you saying bench Hobson - i think he'll show u a little somethin' somethin' this year. So who will go?

  8. #48
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    5,977
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Chad[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 10:37 PM
    [b] How about franchising J.Abe next season - getting a nice 1st rounder for him and then playing barton,vilma,hobson,cowart. [/b][/quote]
    If you're suggesting they play a 3-4 almost exclusively in 2005, then that would be one of the better ways to go I'd think. J Abe, as much as Im a big fan of his, is NOT a 3-4 end, no matter what people may say. And you might as well get something in return for him.

  9. #49
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,852
    Post Thanks / Like
    Forget about 2005, lets deal with 2004 first.

  10. #50
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,566
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r: thats true.......dam look at our LB corp now compared to last year.....dayum what a difference!!!! I like the new depth at safety also.

    I think that kid from Miami is gonna be something special...he wore #49 for the Canes and he was all over the place. I am a Gator but those friggin Hurricanes seem to be made for the NFL.

  11. #51
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,019
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Chad[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 10:37 PM
    [b] this is a tough issue. How about franchising J.Abe next season - getting a nice 1st rounder for him and then playing barton,vilma,hobson,cowart. I really think cowart can come back to form, he doesn't have to run across the field anymore and can just concentrate on laying guys out. I want to see Vilma play as much as the next guy but he can wait one year to start. The interesting thing will be what to do in the 2005-06 season if cowart DOES return to form, who gets the short end? All you saying bench Hobson - i think he'll show u a little somethin' somethin' this year. So who will go? [/b][/quote]
    [b]Resign Abraham.[/b]

  12. #52
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,852
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are DRASTICALLY improved at LB. The same is potentially true in the secondary. Keep in mind that there will be more "action" around the June 1st date, so we are not set yet.

  13. #53
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,852
    Post Thanks / Like
    Specifically, I think you'll see us get some OL action prior to camp opening.

  14. #54
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,207
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets really have some excellent depth at ILB now, with Cowart, Vilma, Kenyatta Wright and Mark Brown. I hope they can find a roster spot for all those guys, as I would hate to lose Wright or Brown. Cowart and Vilma are obviously keepers, and Wright will probably stay as he is an experienced backup and good ST player. The Jets fought off the attention of the Vikings to resign him this year. I'd also hate to see Brown leave, as I think he has a lot of talent and could develop into an excellent backup for Vilma in the long-term. I hope the Jets find a way to keep them all. Not sure if Brown would make it onto the Practice Squad, though. I think someone would snap him up if the Jets try to sneak him on there.

  15. #55
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,656
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys ever hear of depth? you know if someone gets injured- gets tired- gets sick. You got a guy that can play both outside and inside and you dont see a need to keep him on board.

  16. #56
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Pleasant Valley, N.Y.
    Posts
    728
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cowart is going back to the outside that is where he plays best anyway, everyone knows it. Backers will be Hobson/Vilma/Cowart in that order. And we have a youth movement!lol

  17. #57
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,587
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by mrcoops[/i]@Apr 27 2004, 03:49 AM
    [b] The Jets really have some excellent depth at ILB now, with Cowart, Vilma, Kenyatta Wright and Mark Brown. I hope they can find a roster spot for all those guys, as I would hate to lose Wright or Brown. Cowart and Vilma are obviously keepers, and Wright will probably stay as he is an experienced backup and good ST player. The Jets fought off the attention of the Vikings to resign him this year. I'd also hate to see Brown leave, as I think he has a lot of talent and could develop into an excellent backup for Vilma in the long-term. I hope the Jets find a way to keep them all. Not sure if Brown would make it onto the Practice Squad, though. I think someone would snap him up if the Jets try to sneak him on there. [/b][/quote]
    Wright is a solid specials guy, and probably makes the team because of that reason, unless there are 6 guys who beat him out atL/B. Same with Glenn, although Vilma may be the push that causes Glenn to lose his job.

  18. #58
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    18,661
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by GREEN LANTERN[/i]@Apr 27 2004, 07:21 AM
    [b] Cowart is going back to the outside that is where he plays best anyway, everyone knows it. Backers will be Hobson/Vilma/Cowart in that order. And we have a youth movement!lol [/b][/quote]
    yeah and who cares about the millions we just gave Eric Barton, let him ride the pine&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; <_<

  19. #59
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,284
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by patman[/i]@Apr 27 2004, 05:26 AM
    [b] You guys ever hear of depth? you know if someone gets injured- gets tired- gets sick. You got a guy that can play both outside and inside and you dont see a need to keep him on board. [/b][/quote]
    Good post. Cowart&#39;s versatility makes him a keeper this year, even if Vilma beats him out in camp. The only way I cut him is if he becomes a malcontent.

  20. #60
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    2,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    We gave Cowart a 1m roster bonus on March 1st or April 1st, and we renegotiated his contract, we wont drop him, especially at the MLB position where if someone gets hurt, were in trouble in terms of depth. And besided what can we lose in Cowart mentoring vilma for a year? Every rookie needs it

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us