Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sooooooo, Does Sam Cowart get cut?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by sandz[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 08:45 PM
    [b] barton 98 tckls 38 ast .5 sacks 1 fumble forced
    cowart 96 tckls 44 ast 2 sacks 1 fumble forced and he played one less game last year

so how is barton better than cowart??? [/b][/quote]
    barton's tackles weren't 12 yards downfield. he also didn't miss every other tackle like cowart. cowart's stats are misleading. he misses way too many tackles. you need to get away from straight up stat comparison as well to determine who is better. a lot more goes into a player than just his tackle numbers. barton makes plays. he gets tackles behind the line. cowart stops a guy after he runs 12 yards.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Zombo+Apr 27 2004, 10:06 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Zombo @ Apr 27 2004, 10:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--sandz[/i]@Apr 25 2004, 08:45 PM
    [b] barton 98 tckls 38 ast .5 sacks 1 fumble forced
    cowart 96 tckls 44 ast 2 sacks 1 fumble forced and he played one less game last year

so how is barton better than cowart??? [/b][/quote]
    barton&#39;s tackles weren&#39;t 12 yards downfield. he also didn&#39;t miss every other tackle like cowart. cowart&#39;s stats are misleading. he misses way too many tackles. you need to get away from straight up stat comparison as well to determine who is better. a lot more goes into a player than just his tackle numbers. barton makes plays. he gets tackles behind the line. cowart stops a guy after he runs 12 yards. [/b][/quote]
    Good response... i also wanted to add in that when the D is on the field for 40 minutes a game, lots of tackles are going to be made. Do u remember the FIRST drive of the raiders game?

I bet you Cowart had 7 tackles on that first drive..... THAT DOESNT MEAN HE IS ALL THAT GOOD&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; It&#39;s b/c teams were running the ball down our throat&#33;

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    as for this whole mess about who will start, i think to start the season it will be hobson, cowart, and barton. cowart is on a very short leash. if he stumbles, vilma will take the job. unless vilma just blows everyone away in camp, cowart will start in the beginning. vilma will get a lot of playing time, regardless of whether he starts or not. slightly off topic, i bet that if strait is as impressive as i think he&#39;ll be, donnie abraham will be cut before the season. no one thought strait would be there so late. the jets robbed the rest of the nfl with that pick.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I herd on MIke & the Mad dog yesterday Herm state that we will run a lot of 3-4, with all four LB starting. He futher stated the Vilma will be given every opportunity to start in the nickle package...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why do you think so many aging veterans want to come play for New York? Herm&#39;s training camps are easy and they do not have to fear about losing their jobs.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r: Cowart will be a major part of the 2004 Jets linebacking corp and you can&#39;t have too much depth...the other players like Mark Brown will have a spot because of special teams and I feel they will rotate and get some LB play...it&#39;s a good situation for the Jets.....I also like the fact that we drafted quite a few guys that should make an immediate impact oon specail teams....westhoff has to be kinda happy right now.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by NYJetsro71[/i]@Apr 27 2004, 10:57 AM
    [b] Why do you think so many aging veterans want to come play for New York? Herm&#39;s training camps are easy and they do not have to fear about losing their jobs. [/b][/quote]
    like who???

25 year old Barton

25 year old Barrett

30 year old Tongue

40 year old Lynch passed

who are you talking about????

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am also in agreement about cowart.

there is also a debate about Vilma not having enough protection from the DT&#39;s.

That being said, what are the chances of him spending time between strong and weak side lb?

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r: aging veterans want to come to the Jets and play for Edwards?? :blink: What an idiotic statement&#33;&#33;&#33;

Have you been looking at the Jets of late?

Wake up....2003 is over...it&#39;s now 2004.

What aging Vets want to come here? Last I saw..all those aging vets were from the Parcells regime....I kinda like the new look younger jets. Our oldest aquisition was reggie tongue at 31 and he is in great shape and can give us at least two years of play.

everyone else is 26 or younger.

Helloooooooooooo&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    MLB is not a position to throw a rookie into. It is the MLB&#39;s responsibilty to audible short coverage changes and play changes. It is his responsibilty to recognize the offensive formation and know the proper play to counter the O. While Vilma is going to be a great player and is very smart, this is not a responsibilty that you just hand over to a rookie. Vilma will play behind Cowart and learn quite a bit. He will be able to fill in as a Nickel back LB and a direct backup to Cowart, but not as a starter at MLB. He will see the field plenty of times though so don&#39;t worry about him not getting enough playing time.