Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: March for Womens Rights

All League
    I was at the march today, here are my observations:

1. There really were close to 1 Million people there, it reminded me of Woodstock (94). You turn around and just see a sea of people.

2. The anti-choice people were pretty boring, there were maybe 3-4 thousand of them, 90% of them had the same signs of a fetus. Atleast they could be a little more original. I actually, sat around Freedom Plaza and listend to the anti-choice people rant and rave on a microphone for 20 minutes. Every one of them were talking about Jesus and the Devil. Another interesting note was that about 85% of them were males.

3. I never saw anything get out of hand, although I did hear the 16 or so anti-choice people got arrested for repeatedly violating a police order.

4. I have a lot more confidence in the comming election.

Hall Of Fame
    I saw it on TV. Here are my observations.

There were a lot of idiots in Washington, D.C.

That Is All. Carry On.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

"Anti-choice"? I love that chit.

Just call it what it is. Anti-responsibility.

Hall Of Fame
    "Anti-Choice." = classic.

Womens rights????

What do you say to a woman with two black eyes?

Nothing. She's been told twice already.

Hall Of Fame
    We should call the sides of the argument what they are-for and against abortion. You can dress it up any way you like, but that's what it comes down to. I don't think anyone wants to criminalize abortion because even if [u][i]Roe[/i][/u] was overturned, it would likely force the fight into state legislatures(which is the democratic [process U][i]Roe[/i][/U] shortcircuited by judicial fiat). But you can't get around the queasy facts that you're snuffing out a life. It's strange to see so many people celebrating it.

All League
    [quote][b]"Anti-choice"? I love that chit.

[/b][/quote]

Its called frameing, the Republicans are masters at it (not that the Democrats don't do it as well.) The protesters prefered the terms pro-death.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Apr 26 2004, 11:00 AM
    [b] [quote][b]"Anti-choice"? I love that chit.

[/b][/quote]

Its called frameing, the Republicans are masters at it (not that the Democrats don't do it as well.) The protesters prefered the terms pro-death. [/b][/quote]
    Can you name one good thing about John Kerry. I've noticed that this election seems to be about Bush Vs. Anyone but But. Interesting. That said Abortion rights are not in question. Roe V Wade assures us of that. Personally I am Pro Choice. As a matter of fact I think the government should sponsor free abortion clinics in low income neighborhoods. That said, on my list of isssues of improtance abortion is at the bottom.

1 National Security (stay the course)
    2 Economy (currently doing well)
    3 Taxes (keep em low)
    ... 30 Abortion (not a major concern)

All League
    [quote][b]Can you name one good thing about John Kerry. I've noticed that this election seems to be about Bush Vs. Anyone but But. Interesting. That said Abortion rights are not in question. Roe V Wade assures us of that. Personally I am Pro Choice. As a matter of fact I think the government should sponsor free abortion clinics in low income neighborhoods. That said, on my list of isssues of improtance abortion is at the bottom.
    [/b][/quote]

I agree abortion rights are at the bottom of my list too, but Bush and Ashcroft have an agenda. I do not want them in office to appoint radical pro-life Supreme Court Justices.

The one good thing about Kerry is that he is not Bush. I am not all that enamored with Kerry, but I hate Bush so much that I have to support him. I know it sounds like a rediculous stance, but that is the nature of our political system. There is not enough choice. I'm not going to throw my vote away on someone who has no chance of winning. (Not that it matters in D.C. where the vote is typically 89% Democrat and where the Democratic mayor won the Republican primary in a write in.) Don't try to deny that you wouldn't do the same thing if the roles were reversed. If a Republican that you didn't really like was running against a Democrat whom you feel is the worst President in recent history you would vote for the Republican in a heartbeat.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Yes...the Pro-Choice group.....what a bunch...of hypocrites!

1- It is okay to give people the right to choose to kill unborn or partially born babies (hence their pro-abortion stance).

2- It is not alright to give people the choice on how to arm themselves (hence their gun-restriction stance).

3- It is not alright to give people a right in saying how their school tax dollars should be used or a voive in where they can send their children (hence their stance against school vouchers).

Yes...they really believe in giving people the right to choose don't they?

[quote][b]The one good thing about Kerry is that he is not Bush. I am not all that enamored with Kerry, but I hate Bush so much that I have to support him. I know it sounds like a rediculous stance, but that is the nature of our political system. There is not enough choice. I'm not going to throw my vote away on someone who has no chance of winning.[/b][/quote]

So like most on this board you will be voting to re-elect President Bush! Welcome aboard!!

All League
    Maybe I should vote for Bush, like I said previously my vote doesn't count anyway. I voted for Dole in 1996 and Gore in 2000. So maybe you don't want me to vote for W.

All League
    " PRO CHOICE ".....That's beautiful.....It makes it sound like all you're trying to do is exercise what should be your right to make a personal decision.

However.....In reality.....You've already had your right to make that decision and IMHO it was abused.

Nobody took away a womans right to practice abstinance if she chooses.....

Nobody is taking away a womans right to practice safe sex if she chooses.....

Nobody is forcing these women { in most cases } to make the reckless and stupid CHOICES that got them pregnant when they didn't want to in the first place.....

And now that they've screwed up by making bad CHOICES they think they've got a right to make another one by snuffing out the life of an innocent child that they could've carried to term and given up for adoption to a family that wanted him / her...............Yeah right...................

[quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Apr 26 2004, 12:40 PM
    [b] [quote][b]Can you name one good thing about John Kerry. I've noticed that this election seems to be about Bush Vs. Anyone but But. Interesting. That said Abortion rights are not in question. Roe V Wade assures us of that. Personally I am Pro Choice. As a matter of fact I think the government should sponsor free abortion clinics in low income neighborhoods. That said, on my list of isssues of improtance abortion is at the bottom.
    [/b][/quote]

I agree abortion rights are at the bottom of my list too, but Bush and Ashcroft have an agenda. I do not want them in office to appoint radical pro-life Supreme Court Justices.

The one good thing about Kerry is that he is not Bush. I am not all that enamored with Kerry, but I hate Bush so much that I have to support him. I know it sounds like a rediculous stance, but that is the nature of our political system. There is not enough choice. I'm not going to throw my vote away on someone who has no chance of winning. (Not that it matters in D.C. where the vote is typically 89% Democrat and where the Democratic mayor won the Republican primary in a write in.) Don't try to deny that you wouldn't do the same thing if the roles were reversed. If a Republican that you didn't really like was running against a Democrat whom you feel is the worst President in recent history you would vote for the Republican in a heartbeat. [/b][/quote]
    Section, Im amazed that we actually agree on a few issues. I'm also glad to see you are honest in admitting that the only reason you are voting for Kerry is because you dont like Bush. I think that is the case with most of the Kerry supporters.

Here my problem with the so called Pro-choice side... If your really pro-choice then a woman should be able to abort at any time during her 9 months. If it's not a baby till it's born then a woman should be able to abort at anytime go ahead let her shove a rusty cake mixer inside and scramble it into bits.
    I mean what is legal now, 16 weeks .... what the deal with that.. why is a fedus not a baby at 15 weeks and 6 days but it is the next day... what happens on that last night that makes that thing ... that mass of tissue a baby.
    ........ Come on ladies Rise up ... and fight for your right to pop-the head off that thing your carrying. Fight for your right to smoke, drink smoke crack...whatever it's not a baby till....... wait ..... wait.... The more I think about it all these young girls who toss their new borns in dumpsters They to should have the choice to live there lives the way they want to also. I mean they are just kids... They should be aloud to F#$% and not worry about the consequences

So lets let all women abort at 21 months after conception ... it's their life and body for god sake.

All League
    [quote][b]" PRO CHOICE ".....That's beautiful.....It makes it sound like all you're trying to do is exercise what should be your right to make a personal decision.

However.....In reality.....You've already had your right to make that decision and IMHO it was abused.

Nobody took away a womans right to practice abstinance if she chooses.....

Nobody is taking away a womans right to practice safe sex if she chooses.....

Nobody is forcing these women { in most cases } to make the reckless and stupid CHOICES that got them pregnant when they didn't want to in the first place.....

And now that they've screwed up by making bad CHOICES they think they've got a right to make another one by snuffing out the life of an innocent child that they could've carried to term and given up for adoption to a family that wanted him / her...............Yeah right...............[/b][/quote]

Typical. Are you a woman? Then stop trying to speak for them. It is so naive to think that the circumstances you listed above are the only reasons people choose to have an abortion. You fail to mention rape or incest. You fail to mention health concerns.

Safe Sex? There is no such thing, condoms break, the pill/shot are 99.9 percent effective.

Abstinance has never been a reality in any society,even the most repressive, why do you think that could work in the land of the free? It is human nature to want to have sex. Did you practice abstinance? If so was it by choice or lack of opportunity?

Abortions would happen even if they were illegal, only instead of being perfromed by a trained professsional under sanitary conditions they would be done by an amateur with a coat hanger.

Stupid and reckless? Its funny how all you conservatives love portray people such as the poor welfare mothers who all they want to do is rape the government for money. If abortions were illegal imagine how many more welfare recipients you will have to ***** about.

Personally, I would rather people who don't want to have a child that they give them up for adoption, but it is not my right or the governments right to tell them what to do.

All League
    [quote][b]Here my problem with the so called Pro-choice side... If your really pro-choice then a woman should be able to abort at any time during her 9 months. If it's not a baby till it's born then a woman should be able to abort at anytime go ahead let her shove a rusty cake mixer inside and scramble it into bits.
    I mean what is legal now, 16 weeks .... what the deal with that.. why is a fedus not a baby at 15 weeks and 6 days but it is the next day... what happens on that last night that makes that thing ... that mass of tissue a baby. [/b][/quote]

If you are referring to partial-birth abortions then you are completly wrong. They already were illegal except in the case of the mothers life being in danger. They were very very very rarely performed. Now with the new law potentially the mothers will die because of some rediculous law passed by zealots who use disgusting imagry to plead their case.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Apr 26 2004, 03:12 PM
    [b] [quote][b]Here my problem with the so called Pro-choice side... If your really pro-choice then a woman should be able to abort at any time during her 9 months. If it's not a baby till it's born then a woman should be able to abort at anytime go ahead let her shove a rusty cake mixer inside and scramble it into bits.
    I mean what is legal now, 16 weeks .... what the deal with that.. why is a fedus not a baby at 15 weeks and 6 days but it is the next day... what happens on that last night that makes that thing ... that mass of tissue a baby. [/b][/quote]

If you are referring to partial-birth abortions then you are completly wrong. They already were illegal except in the case of the mothers life being in danger. They were very very very rarely performed. Now with the new law potentially the mothers will die because of some rediculous law passed by zealots who use disgusting imagry to plead their case. [/b][/quote]
    Section - what % of all abortions performed are due to rape and incest? Far, far less than 1%. You KNOW that. Yet you offer them as "reasons" for abortions that Maryland Jet "left out." As if they are statistically significant or even part of the discussion. Women at that rally are not concerned with the options available to them [i]only after[/i] they've been raped or sexually abused/raped by a family member. That is a non-issue. Yet you turn around and claim the anti-abortion side uses "disgusting imagry" to plead their case, as if "rape" and "incest" aren't disgusting images that have little to do with the substance of the debate.

You use absurd angles. 'Health concerns' is a joke. It has always been legal for a pregnant woman to undergo any type of procedure if her health is at risk, including terminating a pregnancy. My own mother was faced with a decision when she gave birth to my brother at age 41. She had the kid and everything worked out. Partial-birth laws do [i]nothing [/i]of the sort that you say they do. You NEED to characterize the pro-life side as a bunch of God headed 'radicals' but sorry, close to as many people are anti-abortion as are pro-abortion...being on one side or the other is hardly "radical."

Moreover, partial-birth was NOT already illegal in most states. You simply trot out the platitudes that you have been trained to "believe." Obviously, what is going on is that the passage of the partial-birth ban was seen (rightly) as a victory for the pro-life side. Pro-abortion people do not want ANY type of legislation EVER passed that could weaken abortion proper, and they are threatened by the partial-birth issue, because any rational person can see that that procedure is barbaric. So they talk about slippery slopes and things like the health of the mother...all of which any motivated person can do research about and find are quite addressed in the present case. It's all fear-mongering. They will NEVER say that they support partial birth abortion or that the procedure isn't awful - they always couch it in different terms.

That said, the pro-life side relies too havily on religion and tends to use phrases like "sanctity of life" that have no scinetific or political value at all. I do NOT believe that life begins at conception and simply think that both sides have gotten to polarized on this issue. Feminists, aside from sufferage, are most proud of abortion rights and it has become an issue of supposed "empowerment" among them. They tend to talk about what abortion signifies for them, for their selfish and immediate concerns, rather than talk about what abortion actually is and actually entails. "Disgusting imagry" is not manipulative if true. Living, breathing children are being brutally murdered. That is what is going on and is what [b]you[/b] support, Section. It is not a "choice" it is not a "right." It is a procedure in which one living being is willfully executed by another, largely due to nothing more than inconvenience. At least admit it and stop trying to convince yourself that it's a noble cause...it ain't. You've been hijacked by feminists and people who don't think.

Incidentally - your "are you a woman?" line is telling. It amazes me that someone can be so wrong and yet so arrogant about it. "Stop trying to speak for them!"

Does the fact that a living, breathing, defenseless human being is murdered EVER enter your mind? Do you know how most abortions are performed? Honestly, how often do you think about exactly what an abortion is?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Apr 26 2004, 03:07 PM
    [b] Typical. Are you a woman? Then stop trying to speak for them. [/b][/quote]
    Unless the woman impregnated herself with a turkey baster, then at least 1 other person should have a say.

And all the intances you cite(rape, incest, health of the mother, failed birth control) probably amount for less than 1 percent of all abortions, so it's a specious argument. It's all about avoiding personal responsibility, which should be a tag line of the DNC.

And regardless, I shouldn't have to pay for it with my taxes. If the women want to play, they should be willing to pay. At the very least it should be deemed elective surgery.

All League
    [quote][b]That said, the pro-life side relies too havily on religion and tends to use phrases like "sanctity of life" that have no scinetific or political value at all. I do NOT believe that life begins at conception and simply think that both sides have gotten to polarized on this issue. Feminists, aside from sufferage, are most proud of abortion rights and it has become an issue of supposed "empowerment" among them. They tend to talk about what abortion signifies for them, for their selfish and immediate concerns, rather than talk about what abortion actually is and actually entails. "Disgusting imagry" is not manipulative if true. Living, breathing children are being brutally murdered. That is what is going on and is what you support, Section. It is not a "choice" it is not a "right." It is a procedure in which one living being is willfully executed by another, largely due to nothing more than inconvenience. At least admit it and stop trying to convince yourself that it's a noble cause...it ain't. You've been hijacked by feminists and people who don't think.
    [/b][/quote]

First you state that the pro-life people have no scientific or political value to their arguments, but then you say I've been hijacked by feminists who don't think. So which side is more crazy?

You two say that most abortions are not perfromed because of rape/incest and that is true, but a large majority are performed for failed contraceptives.

[quote][b]Living, breathing children are being brutally murdered.[/b][/quote]

I'm sorry I thought babies took their first breath once outside the womb.

Sorry Section but 5 eva was right on when he says the Pro Abortion people freak out when any type of abortion is outlawed. Personally I'm pro choice, but partial birth abortion is brutal and cruel. Its as close to murder as can be.

Heres my completely unbiased opinion: If the fetus has grown to the point where it could survive if it were born than abortion should not be an option. I dont know if that point is 5 or 6 months in. Doctors should determine that. The point is if the fetus is developed enough to survive birthing that in those circumstances abortion should not be legal.