Thread: I threw my medals on the white house lawn

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Discarded Decorations
    Videotape Contradicts John Kerry's Own Statements Over Vietnam Medals
    By Brian Ross and Chris Vlasto
    ABCNEWS.com
    April 25 Contradicting his statements as a candidate for president, Sen. John Kerry claimed in a 1971 television interview that he threw away as many as nine of his combat medals to protest the war in Vietnam.

"I gave back, I can't remember, 6, 7, 8, 9 medals," Kerry said in an interview on a Washington, D.C. news program on WRC-TV's called Viewpoints on November 6, 1971, according to a tape obtained by ABCNEWS.
    Throughout his presidential campaign, Kerry has denied that he threw away any of his 11 medals during an anti-war protest in April, 1971.

His campaign Web site calls it a "right wing fiction" and a smear. And in an interview with ABCNEWS' Peter Jennings last December, he said it was a "myth."

But Kerry told a much different story on Viewpoints. Asked about the anti-war veterans who threw their medals away, Kerry said "they decided to give them back to their country."

Kerry was asked if he gave back the Bronze Star, Silver Star and three Purple Hearts he was awarded for combat duty as a Navy lieutenant in Vietnam. "Well, and above that, [I] gave back the others," he said.

The statement directly contradicts Kerry's most recent claims on the disputed subject to the Los Angeles Times last Friday. "I never ever implied that I did it, " Kerry told the newspaper, responding to the question of whether he threw away his medals in protest.

"I'm proud of my medals. I always was proud of them," he told Jennings in December, adding that he had only thrown away his "ribbons" and the medals of two other veterans who could not attend the protest.

Flip Flop?

The disputed incident happened 33 years ago this past weekend, on April 23, 1971, when Kerry led the group Vietnam Veterans Against the War in a protest against the war they fought.

Many veterans were seen throwing their medals and ribbons over the fence in front of the U.S. Capitol. At the time, The Boston Globe and other newspapers reported that Kerry was among these veterans.

"In a real sense, this administration forced us to return our medals because beyond the perversion of the war, these leaders themselves denied us the integrity those symbols supposedly gave our lives," Kerry said the following day.

But in 1984, when he first ran for the U.S. Senate, Kerry revealed he still had his medals. According to a Boston Globe report on April 15, 1984, union officials had expressed uneasiness with Kerry's candidacy because he had thrown his medals away. Kerry acknowledged the medals he threw away were, in fact, another soldier's medals. He reportedly invited a union official home to personally inspect his Silver Star, Bronze Star and three purple hearts, awarded for his combat duty as a Navy lieutenant.

In the 1971 Viewpoints interview, he made no mention of the ribbons or the medals belonging to another veteran.

And in 1988, Kerry again clarified his statement by saying he threw out ribbons he had been awarded for three combat wounds, but not his medals. "I was proud of my personal service and remain so," he told the National Journal.

Eight years later in 1996, Kerry said while he did throw out his ribbons, he didn't throw out his own medals because he "didn't have time to go home [to New York] and get them," he told The Boston Globe.

Kerry's campaign Web site says he "is proud of the work he did to end the war. The Nixon Administration made John Kerry one of its targets and Republicans have been smearing him ever since. John Kerry threw his ribbons and the medals of two veterans who could not attend the event, and said, 'I am not doing this for any violent reasons, but for peace and justice, and to try to make this country wake up once and for all.'"

A spokesperson for Kerry's campaign said he didn't make a distinction between medals and ribbons, but Kerry plans to respond on Good Morning America.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Deja Vu: it all depends on what the meaning of MEDALS is.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I threw my medals away, but the medals were my ribbons. Ribbons are the same things as medals. I still have my medals. I threw the ribbons. Actually it was someone elses medals but my ribbons." In those days ribbons and medals were interchangeable. When i said medals i meant ribbons when i say ribbons I mean medals. Anyone who says otherwise is a right wing nut. Now I never threw away my ribbons and by ribbons I mean medals understand?"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HE FOUGHT in Vietnam!
    He has a right to say whatever he wants when he comes home...So anyone who was antiwar canb't be president! Bush was fishing in his damn pond during the war!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Apr 27 2004, 05:01 PM
    [b] idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HE FOUGHT in Vietnam!
    He has a right to say whatever he wants when he comes home...So anyone who was antiwar canb't be president! Bush was fishing in his damn pond during the war! [/b][/quote]
    The problem is, he doesn't even know what he said or did.

But you don't care about that stuff, because "Bush is a Liar" right?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Piper+Apr 27 2004, 05:06 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Piper @ Apr 27 2004, 05:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--bman[/i]@Apr 27 2004, 05:01 PM
    [b] idiots&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    HE FOUGHT in Vietnam&#33;
    He has a right to say whatever he wants when he comes home...So anyone who was antiwar canb&#39;t be president&#33; Bush was fishing in his damn pond during the war&#33; [/b][/quote]
    The problem is, he doesn&#39;t even know what he said or did.

But you don&#39;t care about that stuff, because "Bush is a Liar" right? [/b][/quote]
    If anyone&#39;s a liar, It&#39;s Kerry. He is what I would call a "chronic liar." But then again, that seems to be a trait of most democratic presidents or nominees.

"I did not have sex with that woman, Ms. Lewinsky"

"I did indeed have sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky"

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    He has a right to say whatever he wants when he comes home...So anyone who was antiwar canb&#39;t be president&#33; Bush was fishing in his damn pond during the war&#33; [/b][/quote]
    And Clinton protested the War in Europe&#33; Hey I served in that
    Era and where I fault Kerry is coming back and making it a
    Political issue that aided the enemy while US troops were still
    in Combat&#33;&#33; Also Clinton IS a Likable SOB Kerry isn&#39;t&#33;&#33; If they
    need someone to do him on SNL all they have to do is Dig up
    a corpse&#33;&#33; :P

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He fought in Vietnam and then came back and accused his fellow soldiers of being murderers and baby killers. Its all documented. He gave aid and comfort to the enemy. Vietnamese generals have said they would have surrendered had it not been for the anti-war movment in the US. They knew that if they held out long enough we&#39;d eventually just run away.

To this day the current anit-war movements give aid and comfort to our enemys. The Iraqi terrorists think that if they continue to sting us we&#39;ll run. That thought is supported by the liberals in this country protesting and campaining against the war. I suspect that those same individuals would protest ANY war no matter what the reason. Those people protested the Afghanistan war as well. Its sickening. John Kerry stands for everything thats wrong with this country.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    the vietnam war was totally and completely unjustified and total BS..by the way we lost. did the whole world crumble? NO..it was a civil war..and 50,000 Americans died..not to mention the millions of poor vietnamese..
    Were they EVil?

Do you want a President who would probably rather fish in his liitle texas pond..or someone Who Actually has a brain. ..Miliions of people were against the vietnam war..A LOT of vets as well..You want a nation of robots? Or someone who actually stated what he saw and what he believed...And guess what..Babys were killed..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by chiefst2000+Apr 28 2004, 10:08 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (chiefst2000 @ Apr 28 2004, 10:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--bman[/i]@Apr 27 2004, 05:01 PM
    He fought in Vietnam and then came back and accused his fellow soldiers of being murderers and baby killers. Its all documented. He gave aid and comfort to the enemy. Vietnamese generals have said they would have surrendered had it not been for the anti-war movment in the US. They knew that if they held out long enough we&#39;d eventually just run away.

To this day the current anit-war movements give aid and comfort to our enemys. The Iraqi terrorists think that if they continue to sting us we&#39;ll run. That thought is supported by the liberals in this country protesting and campaining against the war. I suspect that those same individuals would protest ANY war no matter what the reason. Those people protested the Afghanistan war as well. Its sickening. John Kerry stands for everything thats wrong with this country. [/b][/quote]
    iraqui terrorists&#33;
    gess what, there were none until we got there&#33;
    So residents of Falluja who want to contropl thier own city and not set up a puppet Us gov&#39;t are terrorists&#33;
    Please tell me who isn&#39;t a terrorist in yr opionion&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do not want to see Kerry in the White House, but this medals thing is a non-issue. I doubt most current and past vets have all their medals awarded. The medals are just the cherry on top of the icecream. The certificate and orders are the meats and potatoes for the soldier/airman/marine/squid.

The only issue is the constant flip flopping Kerry does.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman+Apr 28 2004, 10:17 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (bman @ Apr 28 2004, 10:17 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -chiefst2000@Apr 28 2004, 10:08 AM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--bman[/i]@Apr 27 2004, 05:01 PM

To this day the current anit-war movements give aid and comfort to our enemys. The Iraqi terrorists think that if they continue to sting us we&#39;ll run. That thought is supported by the liberals in this country protesting and campaining against the war. I suspect that those same individuals would protest ANY war no matter what the reason. Those people protested the Afghanistan war as well. Its sickening. John Kerry stands for everything thats wrong with this country. [/b][/quote]
    iraqui terrorists&#33;
    So residents of Falluja who want to contropl thier own city and not set up a puppet Us gov&#39;t are terrorists&#33;
    Please tell me who isn&#39;t a terrorist in yr opionion&#33; [/b][/quote]
    The many of those so called resistance fighters are not Iraqi at all. Your right. They&#39;re Syran and Pakistani and Saudi and Jordanian and Palestinian. Terrorists&#33;

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PFSIKH[/i]@Apr 28 2004, 10:33 AM
    [b] I do not want to see Kerry in the White House, but this medals thing is a non-issue. I doubt most current and past vets have all their medals awarded. The medals are just the cherry on top of the icecream. The certificate and orders are the meats and potatoes for the soldier/airman/marine/squid.

The only issue is the constant flip flopping Kerry does. [/b][/quote]
    I agree the Medals would be a non-issue. Except for the fact that the man keeps lying about them. If it wasnt so sad it would be funny. The guy just says whatever he thinks the person he&#39;s talking to wants to hear.

Lets face it. Kerry is a non issue in this election. The best thing he can do is keep his mouth shut and try not to make anymore mistakes. What this election will come down to is Bush VS. Anyone But Bush.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Apr 28 2004, 10:17 AM
    [b]
    iraqui terrorists&#33;
    Please tell me who isn&#39;t a terrorist in yr opionion&#33; [/b][/quote]
    How do you know there were no terrorists in Iraq prior to the war?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    b/c Saddam killed them

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PFSIKH[/i]@Apr 28 2004, 11:33 AM
    [b] I do not want to see Kerry in the White House, but this medals thing is a non-issue. I doubt most current and past vets have all their medals awarded. The medals are just the cherry on top of the icecream. The certificate and orders are the meats and potatoes for the soldier/airman/marine/squid.

The only issue is the constant flip flopping Kerry does. [/b][/quote]
    Unless you&#39;re like me and still trying to get orders cut for your Kosovo Campaign Medal 4 years after being out. :lol:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Apr 28 2004, 10:14 AM
    [b] the vietnam war was totally and completely unjustified and total BS..by the way we lost. did the whole world crumble? NO..it was a civil war..and 50,000 Americans died..not to mention the millions of poor vietnamese..
    Were they EVil?

Do you want a President who would probably rather fish in his liitle texas pond..or someone Who Actually has a brain. ..Miliions of people were against the vietnam war..A LOT of vets as well..You want a nation of robots? Or someone who actually stated what he saw and what he believed...And guess what..Babys were killed.. [/b][/quote]
    By the way, last time I checked a liberal started that war, and another liberal carried through the vast majority of it.

If your ever near an encyclopedia, try looking up "Domino Theory"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kerry to Reenact Medal Tossing Protest
    (2004-04-26) -- Democrat presidential hopeful John Forbes Kerry today announced he would reenact for TV cameras the historic moment when he tossed his own Vietnam war medals over the White House fence.

To add realism to the dramatization, Mr. Kerry plans to use the actual medals he received for his service in Vietnam, rather than replicas.

"I&#39;ve carefully stored my medals all these years," said Mr. Kerry. "I was waiting for the right moment to bring them out and show America how I actually tossed them over the White House fence to demonstrate my disgust with an administration that sent me overseas to commit war crimes. Therefore, I&#39;m proud of my service in Vietnam, which helped to make me into the leader I am today...and the next president of the United States."

The medal tossing scene will be part of an ABC-TV news special, sponsored by Anheuser-Busch, called "Real American Heroes." The segment on Sen. Kerry is called "Mister Patriotic War Protestor."

Kerry Gets Permission to Drive &#39;Family&#39; SUV
    (2004-04-22) -- Just hours after telling reporters that he doesn&#39;t own an SUV but his family does, Sen. John Forbes Kerry announced today that he had gained permission from his wife, Teresa Heinz Kerry, to drive the family&#39;s Chevy Suburban on brief trips to the grocery store or dry cleaner.

"I didn&#39;t ask to take it on the campaign trail because it gets lousy gas mileage which is bad for the environment," said Mr. Kerry. "But I was excited when Teresa told me that I could run out to the Piggly-Wiggly in the big rig."

Mr. Kerry&#39;s spokesman later explained that, "the family calls the SUV &#39;the big rig&#39;, not Senator Kerry, because it&#39;s not his vehicle, so he doesn&#39;t need a nickname for it. The SUV belongs to someone else in the family--in this case, his wife, but not the Senator."

President Bush could not be reached for comment because, according to his spokesman, "he&#39;s out hauling some lumber in his Ford F-250 Super Duty, four-door pickup truck."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hanoy John....what a freakin joke this turd is. Is this the best the Dems can roll out :lol:

STICK TO ONE FREAKIN STORY ALREADY.