Backup LB - Jason Glenn/Darrell McClover

CB - David Barrett
    CB - Donnie Abraham
    Nickel - Derrick Strait
    Dime - Ray Mickens

SS - Reggie Tongue
    FS - John McGraw

Backup Safety - Derek Pagel/Eric Coleman
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based Purely on Talent, What do you think of this lineup now, as opposed to our lineup in 2003?

Banned
    defense is an automatic improvement (anything is compared to last years team)

offense is a slight improvement

i say 8-8, compared to last years 6-10

Quoting Dennis Hopper in those old Nike Football commercials

"Bad things man, Bad things"....This team should be good if they remain healthy.

You forgot B.J. Askew

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

i see you're getting a little creative with our O-line.. and unfortuntely, the big stiff #88 is still our TE..

that being stated, we've obviously upgraded our team speed, getting much younger in the process. Our run defense should be set- no more 175yrd running games against this team.. which in turn SHOULD help out our pass D - but i'm still under a wait and see mentality with Tongue and Barrett.. (although how much worse could they possibly be from beasley and garnes?).. our offense is one big hit on Chad away from still being in trouble. I hope we dont have a 1999 situation all over again.

That lienup would get Chad killed. Moore plays one game at guard and you hand him starting left tackle. McKenzie would make more sense at tackle than Jones. If anyone moves indside to guard it would be Jones. Fabini is the only proven LT we have. Until someone else steps up and proves they can do it, Fabini is the LT.

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Apr 26 2004, 05:32 PM
    [b]

Based Purely on Talent, What do you think of this lineup now, as opposed to our lineup in 2003? [/b][/quote]

If that line-up stays on the field for 16 games you're probably looking at 11-5 or 10-6 season.

Injuries (which always happen) will create another 2 losses.

Hermy is good for at least 1 loss all by himself.

Jets will finish between 9-7 and 7-9 next season.

Defense looks pretty solid, aside from the secondary, which could prove to be a major liability.

Offense is ok. Dunno about Moore at LT.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by James Hasty[/i]@Apr 26 2004, 05:37 PM
    [b] That lienup would get Chad killed. Moore plays one game at guard and you hand him starting left tackle. McKenzie would make more sense at tackle than Jones. If anyone moves indside to guard it would be Jones. Fabini is the only proven LT we have. Until someone else steps up and proves they can do it, Fabini is the LT. [/b][/quote]
    Exactly what I was thinking...

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JackBauer[/i]@Apr 26 2004, 05:38 PM
    [b]
    Defense looks pretty solid, aside from the secondary, which could prove to be a major liability.

[/b][/quote]

With all the additional blitz packages that Hendu is giving to Hermy (read that in another thread), could be a lot of long gainers against that vulnerable secondary.

Revised to better (more relaisticly) show O-Line starters.

[quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Apr 26 2004, 04:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ Apr 26 2004, 04:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JackBauer[/i]@Apr 26 2004, 05:38 PM
    [b]

[/b][/quote]

With all the additional blitz packages that Hendu is giving to Hermy (read that in another thread), could be a lot of long gainers against that vulnerable secondary. [/b][/quote]
    Could also be a lot of turnovers. Johnny Abe will be more effective if he gets to rush on occasion from a standing position, or at least off the line. So while there will probably be some lond gainers, there should also be several additional turnovers.

Veteran
    [u][b]OFFENSE:[/b][/u]

QB - Chad Pennington (Proven leader and can work with any recievers it seems)
    QB2 - Brooks Bollinger/Rickey Ray ( Inexperience will hurt us in at least one maybe several games this year)

RB1 - Curtis Martin (Top 10 in the league still)
    RB2 - Lamont Jordan (Dying to take over)
    FB - Jerald Sowell (Not as hyped as everyone esle, but will improve marginally)

WR1 - Santana Moss (Should improve on last years performance with a deeper core)
    WR2 - Justin McCareins (Absolutly needs to pay off right away..)
    WR3 - Jerricho Cotchery (Don&#39;t expect too much)
    WR4 - Wayne Chrebet (Expect even less, injuries are really starting to take there toll)

TE - Chris Baker (Needs to break out, if not this year when???)

LT - Brandon Moore ( Wild card player, I can see him going either way at guard)
    LG - Jason Fabini (Mid-level back side takle, not a big fan but can get the job done when not concerned about covering up for the weak play of our guards)
    C- Kevin Mawai ( Dude, its Mawae what more needs to be said... Start grooming his replacement)
    RG - Karem McKaenzie (I like him alot, makes very, very few mistakes)
    RT - Adrian Jones (Don&#39;t expect too much.)

Backup O-Line: Lance Nimmo/Dave Yavanovitz

[u][b]DEFENSE:[/b][/u]

DE - John Abraham (Can he play a full season)
    DT - DeWayne Robertson (It is time to put up...)
    DT - Josh Evans (Over acheiver with a solid motor and attitude we need)
    DE - Sean Ellis (Continues from last year)

OLB - Eric Barton (Weakest of our LBs)
    MLB - John Vilma (Should fit nicely)
    MLB - Sam Cowart (Has a core surrounding him, and can even be pushed for time in the 4-3)
    OLB - Victor Hobson (He was groomed for this role)
    Backup LB - Jason Glenn/Darrell McClover

CB - David Barrett (Over rated&#33;)
    CB - Donnie Abraham (Needs to catch some of those dropped ints.)
    Nickel - Derrick Strait ( I like this kid alot, especially in the 3rd round)
    Dime - Ray Mickens ( Gotta love ray, no physical all heart)

#5 CB -

SS - Reggie Tongue (Not sure how he will fit)
    FS - John McGraw (Not sold, always seems to be injured)

Backup Safety - Derek Pagel/Eric Coleman
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based Purely on Talent, What do you think of this lineup now, as opposed to our lineup in 2003?

[quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Apr 26 2004, 05:44 PM
    [b] Revised to better (more relaisticly) show O-Line starters. [/b][/quote]
    Much better. You should add Cavka and B Smith for depth as well.

Maxman
    I wouldn&#39;t be so brave with the switching of the guards and tackles myself. But I fully expect the Jets to be much improved next year.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Apr 26 2004, 05:44 PM
    [b] Revised to better (more relaisticly) show O-Line starters. [/b][/quote]
    Better but with 1 guard with 1 NFL start and 1 with none, plus Fabini was pretty shaky last year it&#39;s pretty scary.

16-0

Herm leads the Jets to the promise land despite having the IQ score of 14.

Only problems are...

David Barrett is underrated if anything. Let him play with our pass rush before he&#39;s "overrated".

I think Barton May be our best linebacker depending on Vilma. I don&#39;t think Hobson has played enough to be considered better than Barton, and Cowart is comparable maybe.

And i think Mickens deserves the Nickel for at least one more year while strait learns. Although if Barrett falls apart, strait should step in at #2.

Banned
    don&#39;t forget about walters and reed on the defensive line...i think they have a good shot at being good situational players...

Veteran
    I think the offense needs to win games for this team early in the season while the defense gets more accustomed with Henderson and let the rest run it&#39;s course. I also think the Jets will be a primarily 4-3 defense with some 3-4 and more blitzing.

I think the Jets have enough talent on offense to control games but the defense has to show it can stop the run and be good on 3rd downs...

I hope the talks Herm has had or will have with Parcells(if true) rubs off on him&#33;

All League
    you&#39;ve got 12 starters on defense.

it seems that either Cowart or Vilma will be sitting...my guess is Vilma. Just shows how much our linebacking corps has improved that we now have that problem.

surprised to see Evans over Ferguson...although that would be OK by me (I&#39;m a big Evans fan), I was under the impression that the coaching staff sees Evans as back up to Ferguson and DRob...who knows what the thinking is about this?

and, i agree with whoever said that mickens will likely remain our nickle for another year...he even did a nice job as a starter for much of last year.

and, on offense, I still think that young WR (with the skinny legs...his name is eluding me right now) can be a contributer.

overall, i&#39;d say we&#39;re definitely a good deal younger and faster...and hopefully, we&#39;re a good deal better too.