Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo gives us a D

Veteran
    I don't understand why we are getting bashed for our draft. here are a few, that really stressed me out. one from ESPN and one from Yahoo.

Has anyone seen one that gives us a grade over c.

Thx

ESPN

And then there are the Jets. If there is strength in numbers, the Jets helped themselves with 10 picks. But did they?

With no second-round choice, New York went to shore up a linebacker crew depleted by the exile of Marvin Jones and Mo Lewis and got an undersized middle linebacker in Jonathan Vilma, who flunked several physicals because of a knee problem that may require surgery. If he's healthy, he's a solid pick and a productive player, but if his knee doesn't hold up, this was a disaster and they can't afford those kinds of gambles.

Getting Oklahoma cornerback Derrick Strait in the third round was good value, although how much help he'll be immediately is questionable. Same holds true for fourth-round pick Jerricho Cotchery, a wide receiver who is another top-100 list player the Jets were able to grab at 108.

After that, New York drafted two offensive linemen, two safeties, another linebacker, a defensive end, and a running back, with four of those picks coming in the seventh round.

So in the AFC East, the rich got richer, the middle class didn't improve their lot much, and the poor . . . well, it's the same old story for them. They gambled and have to hope they hit if their lot is going to improve next fall.

Yahoo

[url=http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=knight-nfldraftanalysiswhomadeth&prov=knight&type=lgns]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=knig...night&type=lgns[/url]

Everybody that gave the Jets a bad draft grade is basing it on the misguided belief that Jon Vilma is not healthy... Espn is saying that if his knee goes it could be a disaster, and Yahoo made it sound like it was a foregone conclusion that his knee was going to burst... Espn was bad, but Yahoo was ridiculous... A totally hyperbolic statement on their part... "most teams took him off their board"... BS.. I have only heard that one team "may" have taken him off their board because of his knee.. (Minnesota).. His knee problem is a condition that he has had since early high school and it has never caused him a problem... Ridiculous statement by Yahoo... and totally unsubstantiated... Either way, who cares what other "experts" (haha, yahoo sports is an expert) think about the draft... We can all think for ourselves as to whether or not we had a good draft.. I am very pleased with it.. Vilma, Strait, Cotchery, and possibly Jones will most likely be able to contribute this year, while the other guys are athletic and have plenty of upside... Good job by the Jets...

Hall Of Fame
    they're buying into the hype that Vilma was damaged goods and will bust

this is teh same type of pre draft rumor that made so many pass on Dan Marino back in '83, a smoke screen used to make the guy fall so someone else could jump on him,

his knee is fine and will hold up

[quote][i]Originally posted by Newtown Jets[/i]@Apr 27 2004, 11:06 AM
    [b] With no second-round choice, New York went to shore up a linebacker crew depleted by the exile of Marvin Jones and Mo Lewis and got an undersized middle linebacker in Jonathan Vilma, who flunked several physicals because of a knee problem that may require surgery. If he's healthy, he's a solid pick and a productive player, but if his knee doesn't hold up, this was a disaster and they can't afford those kinds of gambles. [/b][/quote]
    May require surgery?????

I won't even dignify this with a response ... these people are on LSD

Oh yeah, that's why teams were trying to trade up for Vilma ... cause his knee may require surgery

Whatever ... IDIOT

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

They gave us a "D" for Defense....This is a good thing!!

[quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Apr 27 2004, 11:19 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Green Jets & Ham @ Apr 27 2004, 11:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Newtown Jets[/i]@Apr 27 2004, 11:06 AM
    [b] With no second-round choice, New York went to shore up a linebacker crew depleted by the exile of Marvin Jones and Mo Lewis and got an undersized middle linebacker in Jonathan Vilma, who flunked several physicals because of a knee problem that may require surgery. If he&#39;s healthy, he&#39;s a solid pick and a productive player, but if his knee doesn&#39;t hold up, this was a disaster and they can&#39;t afford those kinds of gambles. [/b][/quote]
    May require surgery?????

I won&#39;t even dignify this with a response ... these people are on LSD

Oh yeah, that&#39;s why team were trying to trade up for Vilma ... cause his knee may require surgery

Whatever ... IDIOT [/b][/quote]
    Lets not mention Wilfork&#39;s weight issues, or Marquise Hill being diagnosed as Bi-Polar.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: who gives a *&#036;#* what Yahoo or Prisco has to say about our draft??????? :blink: :blink:

Any sane individual would know that the Jets had a pretty nice draft......sheesh&#33;&#33;&#33;

If you don&#39;t see that then u are just.......nuts.

Like GJ&H sated above - these comments from Yahoo and ESPN do not even require a response.

Hall Of Fame
    I am as skeptical and as negative as probably any Jets fan here, and I have to say I was very impressed with the way Bradway executed this draft. In fact, this offseason has generally gone pretty well, IMO.

Obviously, we don&#39;t "know" anything about our offseason or recent draft until the games are played and some time passes.

Not saying we&#39;ll be great or even [i]good[/i]. I just "feel" like the defense will be better...I mean, it almost HAS to be better by definition....

Anyway, I will hold off on my usual Bradway-bashing because I am willing to wait and see what happens now that he and Herm have truly been able to mold this team as they want to.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: I&#39;m sorry but after the free agent signings and the draft...there is nothing to be skeptical about...you have to feel good about this Jets team.....there is nothing that says everything will pan out but with the upgrade of talent, it&#39;s more than likely that this team is going to be much better than last years.

I feel like analysts didnt see the same draft we saw. I think we did great, where the heck does espn get off questioning Strait&#39;s immediate impact when he won the best DB award in one of the most complicated college defenses. Its like they make stuff up just to talk.

And as for Vilma, I really trust ESPN and Yahoo over Doctors, belive me when I feel sick or hurt I call Pastabelli way before I go tot he doctors office

All Pro
    D as in D fir defense&#33; Thanks I feel good about that&#33; we shouldbe a force this comin season....

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Newtown Jets[/i]@Apr 27 2004, 12:06 PM
    [b] I don&#39;t understand why we are getting bashed for our draft. here are a few, that really stressed me out. one from ESPN and one from Yahoo.

Has anyone seen one that gives us a grade over c.

Thx

ESPN

And then there are the Jets. If there is strength in numbers, the Jets helped themselves with 10 picks. But did they?

With no second-round choice, New York went to shore up a linebacker crew depleted by the exile of Marvin Jones and Mo Lewis and got an undersized middle linebacker in Jonathan Vilma, who flunked several physicals because of a knee problem that may require surgery. If he&#39;s healthy, he&#39;s a solid pick and a productive player, but if his knee doesn&#39;t hold up, this was a disaster and they can&#39;t afford those kinds of gambles.

Getting Oklahoma cornerback Derrick Strait in the third round was good value, although how much help he&#39;ll be immediately is questionable. Same holds true for fourth-round pick Jerricho Cotchery, a wide receiver who is another top-100 list player the Jets were able to grab at 108.

After that, New York drafted two offensive linemen, two safeties, another linebacker, a defensive end, and a running back, with four of those picks coming in the seventh round.

So in the AFC East, the rich got richer, the middle class didn&#39;t improve their lot much, and the poor . . . well, it&#39;s the same old story for them. They gambled and have to hope they hit if their lot is going to improve next fall.

Yahoo

[url=http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=knight-nfldraftanalysiswhomadeth&prov=knight&type=lgns]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=knig...night&type=lgns[/url] [/b][/quote]
    [url=http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpam9jNzkwBF9TAzk1ODYxMDU5BHNlYwN0cA--?slug=insidersdraft-afceast&prov=citadel&type=lgns]YAHOOMOCK[/url]

GRADE C NOT D

All Pro
    Margate Fl soon to be Ocala FL by way of Da Bronx
    how can people first off all , rate drafts it&#39;s APRIL for pete&#39;s sake.... no one has any idea how these players will pan out .....

I don&#39;t pay much attention to the Mel Kiper. Peter King or Prisco...

let the games begin, let the season progress than we can see who did what in the DRAFT...

All League
    Isnt that Yahoo article the same as Borges from the Boston Globe? Slanted Slanted

wickedtwisted
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Apr 27 2004, 11:19 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Green Jets & Ham @ Apr 27 2004, 11:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Newtown Jets[/i]@Apr 27 2004, 11:06 AM
    [b] With no second-round choice, New York went to shore up a linebacker crew depleted by the exile of Marvin Jones and Mo Lewis and got an undersized middle linebacker in Jonathan Vilma, who flunked several physicals because of a knee problem that may require surgery. If he&#39;s healthy, he&#39;s a solid pick and a productive player, but if his knee doesn&#39;t hold up, this was a disaster and they can&#39;t afford those kinds of gambles. [/b][/quote]
    May require surgery?????

I won&#39;t even dignify this with a response ... these people are on LSD

Oh yeah, that&#39;s why teams were trying to trade up for Vilma ... cause his knee may require surgery

Whatever ... IDIOT [/b][/quote]
    What can I say? LSD is a helleva drug.

Haha for those that dont get that... Chapelle show... Rick James special....

Anyway, Vilma claims he wants to start from day 1. If his health was questionable, he would be the first to know and wouldnt be saying I want to start... He&#39;s fine and he will be a force...

All League
    I meant the ESPN one

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by 4th&Long[/i]@Apr 27 2004, 12:44 PM
    [b] Isnt that Yahoo article the same as Borges from the Boston Globe? Slanted Slanted [/b][/quote]
    Yahoo copied the Boston Globe article....word for word.

All League
    The yahoo article states Vilma could have a career ending knee injury at anytime and was taken off virtually every team&#39;s board. Where do reporters pull this crap from?

All League
    Not surprising, these people dont always know all the facts.
    I&#39;ve been watching Vilma for years here in Miami, his knee situation was blown out of proportion it&#39;s not an issue.

And they obviously dont consider JMac for a 2nd round pick, since it was. That&#39;s the best WR that would have been available if we still had our pick.