View Poll Results: Do you give up next year's one and draft him?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 75.00%
  • No

8 25.00%

Thread: Mike Williams

I say yes....but I do not know if he will be there at 12 for us. What does everyone think?

[b][SIZE=2]YES[/SIZE][/b]

This kid has TOP 5 PICK ability

All Pro
    Yes, definitely. He is a very young, talented player and I would never pass up the chance to pick him with our 2005 first rounder. Plus, you would be getting use of him for a year early and, if the Jets improve, only giving up a mid to low 1st rounder for him.

Hall Of Fame
    absolutely not, first off there will most likely be 11 teams with a shot before us, Chargers have 2 first rounders next year and could afford to give one up and they will have the highest probability to pick first

secondly, what would be the need the draft is over why do we have to go through this Mike Williams crap again??? We signed a very good college receiver in Cotchery and he will probably see some balls this year as a 3rd o4r 4th option and cost us little, why give up big bucks for yet another receiver??? let this junk go, MW will not be a jet and rightfully so

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green[/i]@Apr 27 2004, 11:30 AM
    [b] absolutely not, first off there will most likely be 11 teams with a shot before us, Chargers have 2 first rounders next year and could afford to give one up and they will have the highest probability to pick first

secondly, what would be the need the draft is over why do we have to go through this Mike Williams crap again??? We signed a very good college receiver in Cotchery and he will probably see some balls this year as a 3rd o4r 4th option and cost us little, why give up big bucks for yet another receiver??? let this junk go, MW will not be a jet and rightfully so [/b][/quote]
    Yeah, but I would be drafting him as an H-Back, Tony Gonzalez-type TE. Williams is only 20 years old. With a bit of work in the weight room, he could be a 250lb TE with lethal speed and hands in a couple of years. A top receiving TE would make Chad almost unstoppable.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by mrcoops[/i]@Apr 27 2004, 11:34 AM
    [b] A top receiving TE would make Chad almost unstoppable. [/b][/quote]
    <--- agrees

but not sure this kid would want to play TE, they dont get paid what WRs do

I agree. It is worth the gamble to grab him this year, if he&#39;s available. He may turn out to be the dynamic T/E in the NFL. At worst, he&#39;s a great to very good W/R. We wouldn&#39;t do better with whomever we chose in 2005, so take him now.

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+Apr 27 2004, 11:36 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mean Bro Green @ Apr 27 2004, 11:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--mrcoops[/i]@Apr 27 2004, 11:34 AM
    [b] A top receiving TE would make Chad almost unstoppable. [/b][/quote]
    <--- agrees

but not sure this kid would want to play TE, they dont get paid what WRs do [/b][/quote]
    He&#39;ll play [b]wherever I damn well tell him to&#33;&#33;&#33; [/b] :P

If he&#39;s smart, he should consider a move to TE, IMHO. He could become a Gonzalez type, and Tony ain&#39;t paid too badly.

I think he could be a great TE, but I don&#39;t think he&#39;d be a great WR. He&#39;d be very good, but not great and probably wouldn&#39;t make as much as he would as an elite TE.

Just my opinion...

I dont see the Chargers passing him up, they clearly need WR&#39;s and hes available for them and only them, and they still get a 1st rounder&#33; Lucky bastids&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by mbn007[/i]@Apr 27 2004, 11:37 AM
    [b] We wouldn&#39;t do better with whomever we chose in 2005, so take him now. [/b][/quote]
    how can you say that??? with all the FA&#39;s we have next year it would be too risky to give up our first pick, we could have huge needs next off-season

so we pick up this receiver who probably wont even contribute this year and then lose two DEs next year and get stuck with no first rounder to find a replacement

just on that alone makes our first rounder very valuable to this organization
    no way we risk that for this guy

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mo Lew[/i]@Apr 27 2004, 11:41 AM
    [b] I dont see the Chargers passing him up, they clearly need WR&#39;s and hes available for them and only them, and they still get a 1st rounder&#33; Lucky bastids&#33; [/b][/quote]
    its based on a ottery system with SD getting the most balls in the lotto and having the highest probability to get the first opportunity to choose him or pass and then Oakland, etc

Without a doubt, but it is unimaginable he will be there at 12 in a supplemental draft. There is a huge list of teams ahead of the Jets that would grab him: Chargers, Raiders, Giants, Redskins, Falcons, Texans, and Steelers.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by VAJetsFan[/i]@Apr 27 2004, 11:44 AM
    [b] Without a doubt, but it is unimaginable he will be there at 12 in a supplemental draft. There is a huge list of teams ahead of the Jets that would grab him: Chargers, Raiders, Giants, Redskins, Falcons, Texans, and Steelers. [/b][/quote]
    Giants dont have a 1st round pick to give

Practice Squad
    You guys keep saying he won&#39;t be there at 12? We may not be picking at 12. In the Supplemental the teams are broken into 3 groups based on records. The worst 12 then are ranked by a lottery type system. Then the next group is ranked by lottery type system. Being in the worst twelve, we could have first crack at him if we get lucky. Let&#39;s hope Bradway decides to bid on him.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+Apr 27 2004, 11:46 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mean Bro Green @ Apr 27 2004, 11:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--VAJetsFan[/i]@Apr 27 2004, 11:44 AM
    [b] Without a doubt, but it is unimaginable he will be there at 12 in a supplemental draft. There is a huge list of teams ahead of the Jets that would grab him: Chargers, Raiders, Giants, Redskins, Falcons, Texans, and Steelers. [/b][/quote]
    Giants dont have a 1st round pick to give [/b][/quote]
    Good point...forgot how much they gave up for Manning. The Chargers really made out-if Manning starts that should be a really high #1. They could use their #1 for Mike Williams and if they get him still have a high pick next year&#33;

[quote][i]Originally posted by mudcat21[/i]@Apr 27 2004, 12:45 PM
    [b] You guys keep saying he won&#39;t be there at 12? We may not be picking at 12. In the Supplemental the teams are broken into 3 groups based on records. The worst 12 then are ranked by a lottery type system. Then the next group is ranked by lottery type system. Being in the worst twelve, we could have first crack at him if we get lucky. Let&#39;s hope Bradway decides to bid on him. [/b][/quote]
    I found this on ESPN in response to a question about the Supplemental draft last year:

[quote][b]MORT&#39;S MAILBAG | July 9

Q: Can you explain what the supplemental draft is? -- TW, Oregon
    MORT -- TW, I hope I don&#39;t confuse you here. The supplemental draft is conducted for players who were not eligible for the regular draft in April. This happens when players have left their schools for a variety of reasons and are successful in petitioning the league for entry. They still must meet the requirement of having been at least three years removed from their senior year of high school or their 18th birthday. Most of the players who are eligible for the supplemental draft are never selected and, thus, become free agents able to sign with any team.

Most players in the supplemental draft are never selected and, thus, become free agents able to sign with any team.
    The supplemental draft held this Thursday will be conducted via e-mail. A team interested in exercising a draft pick from its 2004 cache must submit a bid that specifically designates the round it is willing to spend on the player.

If multiple teams submit identical round bids, the player is awarded to the team that has priority based on the order set in the April draft (win-loss record, tiebreakers, coin flips, etc.).

Hypothetically, let&#39;s say that the Houston Texans and Dallas Cowboys each submit a third-round bid for Georgia Tech running back Tony Hollings. The Texans would get the nod because they picked third and the Cowboys fifth in the April draft. The Texans then would be docked their third-round pick in next year&#39;s draft.
    [/b][/quote]

I didn&#39;t see any reference to a lottery. Is that a special circumstance if a bunch of teams submit a #1?