Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Kentucky Derby

For those into the horsies, and for those who just want to join the fun...lets see who can pick the tri-fector...

Lets have all responses in 15 minutes before they run.

Pick three horses in order:
    Win
    Place
    Show

The following list is the Post position and the odd as they stand at post draw.

Kentucky Derby 130 Field
    Purse: $1,000,000 added; 1 1/4 miles
    Post Horse Jockey Trainer M/L Odds
    1. Limehouse J. Santos T. Pletcher 30-1
    2. Song of the Sword N. Arroyo Jr. J. Pedersen 30-1
    3. Lion Heart M. Smith P. Biancone 10-1
    4. Action This Day D. Flores R. Mandella 30-1
    5. Wimbledon J. Bailey B. Baffert 15-1
    6. Friends Lake R. Migliore J. Kimmel 15-1
    7. Minister Eric P. Day R. Mandella 30-1
    8. Master David A. Solis R. Frankel 12-1
    9. St Averil T. Baze R. Becerra 30-1
    10. Imperialism K. Desormeaux K. Mulhall 15-1
    11. The Cliff's Edge S. Sellers N. Zito 4-1
    12. Borrego V. Espinoza B. Greely 20-1
    13. Birdstone E. Prado N. Zito 50-1
    14. Read the Footnotes R. Albarado R. Violette 12-1
    15. Smarty Jones S. Elliott J. Servis 9-2
    16. Castledale J. Valdivia Jr. J. Mullins 15-1
    17. Pollard's Vision J. Velazquez T. Pletcher 20-1
    18. Tapit R. Dominguez M. Dickinson 8-1
    19. Pro Prado J. McKee R. Holthus 30-1
    20. Quintons Gold Rush C. Nakatani S. Asmussen 20-1

Link which is a cleaner read....

[url=http://espn.go.com/horse/triplecrown04/s/2004/0428/1791814.html]Post Positions Link[/url]

All League
    I will take a shot with
    1 Read the Footnotes-N.Y bred coming in well rested (maybe too rested)
    2-Lion Heart-good two old credentials
    3-Pollard's Vision-I like the jockey

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

We oughta be able to box or at least 5 hourses. This one's wide open.

I'm tossing Tapit because his trainer hasn't proven he can compete on dirt and his last race he passed tired horses. Different story if he wasn't one of the favs. The Cliffs Edge would be a must-play if this was 5 years ago. Zito has had some hard luck lately, and he'll take too much money.

1)Master David--Got him in the Futures pool. Bobby Frankel won't be without roses very long. Yes, he was among those that Tapit beat last time, but he had traffic problems.

2)Minister Eric--In good recent form and his stalking style fits Pat Day, a master of pace.

3)Pollard's Vision--I backed him down at the Fairgrounds for the La Derby. The pace was nuts that day, but now he picks up Johnny V. Todd Pletcher is another who's overdue to win The Derby.

If anyone here happens by The Sporting Club saturday, I'll buy you a mint julip.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by JumbalayaJet[/i]@Apr 29 2004, 10:43 AM
    [b] We oughta be able to box or at least key at least 5 hourses. This one's wide open.

1)Master David--Got him in the Futures pool. Bobby Frankel won't be without roses very long.

2)Minister Eric--In good recent form and picks up Pat Day, a genius of pace.

3)Pollard's Vision--I backed him down at the Fairgrounds for the La Derby. The pace was nuts that day, but now he picks up Johnny V. Todd Pletcher is another who's overdue to win The Derby.

If anyone here happens by The Sporting Club saturday, I'll buy you a mint julip. [/b][/quote]
    Should I call Nick and ask him to place a bet for ya Jumba?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by jetgirl[/i]@Apr 29 2004, 10:44 AM
    [b]
    Should I call Nick and ask him to place a bet for ya Jumba? [/b][/quote]
    No, but tell him to have a brisket sandwich for me, and that the infield is where the action's at. *Sigh* I'll get back to Churchill Downs next year, for sure.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by JumbalayaJet+Apr 29 2004, 10:47 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (JumbalayaJet @ Apr 29 2004, 10:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jetgirl[/i]@Apr 29 2004, 10:44 AM
    [b]
    Should I call Nick and ask him to place a bet for ya Jumba? [/b][/quote]
    No, but tell him to have a brisket sandwich for me, and that the infield is where the action&#39;s at. *Sigh* I&#39;ll get back to Churchill Downs next year, for sure. [/b][/quote]
    Ok.......... ;)

10 - Imperialism - Hate the touchy feely story but love the Number jump since Mulhal started training. Think he&#39;ll like the distance. I like the fact that he is not one of the favs. If Desormeaux can stay out of trouble, looks like a winner to me.

7 - Minister Eric ...Pat Day up, and another who I think will like 1 1/4

17 - Pollards Vision...Probably jumps out to be near the lead right from the start. Hopefully Johnny V can save enough of him for a piece of the action...Oh and I&#39;ve made more money on JR / Pletcher combos than on any other

Undrafted Free Agent
    1-Tapit: Won the Wood with an impressive kick while not being asked for much run.
    2-Pollard&#39;s Vision: Has improved when lengthened out going two turns.
    3-Song of the Sword-Very talented horse, who has had trouble in both stake attempts.

[b][SIZE=3]Smarty Jones[/SIZE][/b]

You Guys are crazy ... not even picking Smarty Jones to come in the money ... what planet are you from? :D

Smarty Jones will win this race by a comfortable margain ... two or three lengths, minimum

You want the smart play here?

Wheel Smarty Jones in an exacta with all of the longshots ... Just toss Smarty on top and you may be cashing a nice ticket ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I know absolutely nothing about horse racing but people always give opinions even when they have no knowledge of a certain topic. So why not follow the trend.

I&#39;ll say.................................................................

First Place-Lionheart
    Second Place- Imperialism
    Third Place-Smarty Jones

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

1 -CLIFFS EDGE 2 -SMARTY JONES 3-LIONHEARTED

Smarty Jones is Gonna smoke all these nags

All League
    win:Wimbeldon, place:Freinds Lake, show: Imperialism

All Pro
    My father got the call earlier today from Kentucky, The Cliff&#39;s Edge is on the needle. There&#39;s no way he loses, my pops is friends with Nicky zito and got the same call in 1991 with strike the gold. trust me on this, but keep it quiet.

my trifecta is as follows

the cliffs edge

birdstone

smarty jones

wimbledon
    imperialism
    birdstone

Banned
    Give me 10 on Secreteriat.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Sea Captain McCallister[/i]@Apr 29 2004, 09:55 PM
    [b] My father got the call earlier today from Kentucky, The Cliff&#39;s Edge is on the needle. There&#39;s no way he loses, my pops is friends with Nicky zito and got the same call in 1991 with strike the gold. trust me on this, but keep it quiet.

[/b][/quote]
    I guess your fathers friend watches ESPN....They reported that is getting Lasik (blood thiner)....So much for the secret.

I&#39;m still not sure what I am going to do, but I think that I am going to wheel:

5. Wimbledon - I always like Baffert trained horses, and Baily is always in the running
    7. Mister Eric - Need a long shot (especially with this field) and I love Day in the big races
    11. Cliff&#39;s Edge - N. Zito Owned and will all the talk of Steriods in Baseball y not with horses

BTW: I also think that any of these following can finish somewhere in the money:

Imperialism, Pollard&#39;s Vision, Lion Heart

Wide Open race this year.

Undrafted Free Agent
    1. Tapit
    2. Smarty Jones
    3. the Cliffs edge

I&#39;m not really big into the horses..but I like taking 4 horses (including a couple of long shots) on the triple crown races, and putting the in any combination for the top 3 spots. Or 3 horses the same way. I dont recall what these bets are called...some help? So I dont embarass myself at the OTB window and get berated by the 90 yr old addicted gambler behind me.

Anyway, this is what I might be betting...

4 horses(any order for the top 3 places)

POST HORSE ODDS

13 Birdstone 50-1
    10 Imperialism 15-1
    12 Borrego 20-1
    15 Smarty Jones 9-2