Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: OT: Kentucky Derby

All Pro
    I just spent the whole day at Yonkers Raceway betting Aquaduct and Churchill, and I took a BEATING. It was all speed in today's derby cause of the rain, Smarty Jones can not make a mile and a quarter its too bad when a speed horse wins the derby, no chance of a trip. crown.

nick zito why hast thou forsaken me

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

The horse hasn't lost a race, but he can't win a Triple Crown? Well I hope you're right. I just hate betting 4-5 shots.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Enough with this Derby Crap... :D. The real best 3-year old in the country ran yesterday at Aqueduct, and we'll see that over time. Jimmy Jerkens' Artie Schiller. Got a turn of foot like I haven't seen since Six Perfections in the BC Mile. And your BC Sprint winner ran yesterday at Churchill. Pletcher has a star, when healthy, although rarely, in Speightstown. Too bad Cong is done though. Had some nice dough on Speightstown, and had the Ex. Box in the Derby, but cost me 42 bucks as I had Smarty and Lion, Friends Lake, Pollard's Vision, Footnotes, and Song of the Sword. Oh well, I was at Philly and it was nuts all day. Love to see him win again, but unfortunately for him, Rock Hard Ten and Eddington loom large in 2 weeks.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Sea Captain McCallister[/i]@May 1 2004, 10:01 PM
    [b] I just spent the whole day at Yonkers Raceway betting Aquaduct and Churchill, and I took a BEATING. It was all speed in today's derby cause of the rain, Smarty Jones can not make a mile and a quarter its too bad when a speed horse wins the derby, no chance of a trip. crown.

nick zito why hast thou forsaken me [/b][/quote]
    Actually I feel like smacking myself for not wagering on Smarty Jones to win the TC ... probably could have gotten like 200-1 odds, and I had a sneaking suspicion going in that this horse would have a shot ... said he would win the derby by two or three lengths

What I saw today only confirmed my suspicion ... he didn't open up a big lead than hang on at the wire ... quite the opposite, he started tearing @$$ down the stretch and if you added another 1/4 of a Mile to that race he may have won by ten lengths

I think this horse has the best shot at the TC of any horse I have seen in years ... maybe since Spectacular Bid, who should have won the TC if his Jockey {Ronnie Franklin} didn't spit the bit in the Preakness ... also stories about THE BID stepping on a bobby pin the day of the Preakness ... THE BID had TC written all over him, Smarty Jones may have the same

Obviously not the same predigree, but this horse can run like the wind

Ran the derby in 2:04 on a sloppy track ... that was a helluva ride in that slop

All League
    GJ & H and Jumba -A little late but
    Good calls on the Derby-you called Smarty Jones and nailed it. Also Jumba good tip on Smarty Jones liking sloppy track
    You got to like a horse that comes not with the so called pedigree but is a gamer to use the football expression.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by JumbalayaJet[/i]@May 2 2004, 12:36 AM
    [b]The horse hasn't lost a race, but he can't win a Triple Crown? Well I hope you're right. I just hate betting 4-5 shots.[/b][/quote]
    Remember the Races when you could only bet Secreteriat to win?
    No place and show betting allowed!! :lol:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by faba[/i]@May 2 2004, 10:43 AM
    [b] You got to like a horse that comes not with the so called pedigree but is a gamer to use the football expression. [/b][/quote]
    I really didn't know what to expect from a Pa-bred ridden by an unkown jock with a suspect trainer. I was a little suspicious of his races at Oaklawn Pk, but not now. He sure left some good horses splashing in his wake when he started that middle move at Churchill, though. The horses he ran past, Quinton's GR and Pollard's Vision were totally discouraged, finishing last. Everyone knows it now: he's the goods.

Savage, we might see that situation again if he handles the Preakness field as easily as yesterday.

All Pro
    When a speed horse hits a mile and an eight it is like hitting a WALL. including the kent. derby has only ran a mile and eighth twice, does not have the stuff to win the Preakness AND the Belmont. nice story, but the horse is not bred to go the distance.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by JumbalayaJet[/i]@May 2 2004, 12:37 PM
    [b]
    Savage, we might see that situation again if he handles the Preakness field as easily as yesterday.[/b][/quote]
    To me the Big Test is Belmont!! The longest of the 3..And who
    can forget the Best Belmont of them all with Big Red winning
    by 30 lengths..?? ;)