Thread: Next Kid to Crucify

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since a lot of you like to crucify kids like that kid from UMASS. This 15yr old kid was plotting to kill our beloved President!

[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45263-2004Apr26.html]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2004Apr26.html[/url]

Washington Student Questioned on Artwork

The Associated Press
    Monday, April 26, 2004; 11:55 PM

PROSSER, Wash. - Secret Service agents questioned a high school student about anti-war drawings he did for an art class, one of which depicted President Bush's head on a stick.

Another pencil-and-ink drawing portrayed Bush as a devil launching a missile, with a caption reading "End the war - on terrorism."

The 15-year-old boy's art teacher at Prosser High School turned the drawings over to school administrators, who notified police, who called the Secret Service.

"We involve the police anytime we have a concern," Prosser Superintendent Ray Tolcacher told the Tri-City Herald newspaper.

Secret Service agents interviewed the boy last Friday. The student, who was not arrested, has not been identified.

The school district disciplined him, but district officials refused to say what the punishment was. Tolcacher said the boy was not suspended.

The artwork was apparently part of an assignment to keep a notebook of drawings, according to Kevin Cravens, a friend of the boy's family.

The drawing that drew the most notice showed a man in what appeared to be Middle Eastern-style clothing, holding a rifle. He was also holding a stick with an oversize head of the president on it.

The student said the head was enlarged because it was intended to be an effigy, Cravens said. The caption called for an end to the war in Iraq.

A message left by The Associated Press with an after-hours duty officer with the Secret Service in Washington, D.C., was not immediately returned on Monday.

"If this 15-year-old kid in Prosser is perceived as a threat to the president, then we are living in '1984'," Cravens said.

Tolcacher insisted it was not a freedom of speech issue, but a concern over the depiction of violence.

"From what I saw, (school officials) were right to be concerned," Prosser Police Chief Win Taylor said.

2004 The Associated Press

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The secret service would have done the same thing if Clinton was in the white house. The Secret service doesn't take anything like that lightly regardless.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Apr 29 2004, 02:36 PM
    [b] Tolcacher insisted it was not a freedom of speech issue, but a concern over the depiction of violence.
    [/b][/quote]
    But if they ignored it and another Colombine followed, you'd be the first one to try and crucify those who 'missed the signs'.

20/20 hindsight and Monday morning QB's is easy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    damned artists..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]But if they ignored it and another Colombine followed, you'd be the first one to try and crucify those who 'missed the signs'.
    [/b][/quote]

If the school has a suspicion of another Columbine, then call the local police. No one finds it rediculous that the Secret Service has to waste money and resources on a 15yr old who made some drawings?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Apr 30 2004, 10:24 AM
    [b] [quote][b]But if they ignored it and another Colombine followed, you'd be the first one to try and crucify those who 'missed the signs'.
    [/b][/quote]

If the school has a suspicion of another Columbine, then call the local police. No one finds it rediculous that the Secret Service has to waste money and resources on a 15yr old who made some drawings? [/b][/quote]
    Section - the teachers and school officials notified the cops who in turn notified the Secret Service. They questioned the kid and that was that. They DID call the police! Nothing happened to the kid and his name was kept confidential.

Cops and the like have to follow tons of leads that end up being fruitless, etc. It's part of the job. However, Piper is very correct that if this kid ended up doing something rash in a year or so and then you had found out that the school officials and local police had requested help and were denied by the Secret Service, you'd be whining about their negligence.

The department has to be thorough. They also have to err on the side of being proactive, not reactive. Checking out everything, while acknowledging that a certain % of the leads will be bogus, is much better than checking out far less things, and missing some credible leads.

People like you can laugh all you want whenever a story like this comes out. No one can stop you. But don't expect to to be taken seriously if you find things like this "funny." It's difficult work and you simply dont have an understanding, apparently. Viewed in a vaccuum, sure it's "funny." But if you are trying to make some sort of substantive "point" than you are simply misguided. It is not as if the Secret Service is running around undercover chacking out the artwork of all 15-years olds in the country, wasting billions of dollars and considering these things to be a real threat to the President. A local police station requested help and they gave it. They probably questioned the kid for five minutes...get a grip.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]People like you can laugh all you want whenever a story like this comes out. No one can stop you. But try to to be taken seriously if you find things like this "funny." It's difficult work and you simply dont have an understanding, apparently.[/b][/quote]

This is completly rediculous, and yes I find it very funny. I would find it funny if it was Clinton or Kerry or whoever else. The Secret Service's job is to protect the President. This in no way makes the President any safer. The local Police should never have called them, and once they did the Secret Service should have laughed in their face. "Ok let me get this straight, you want us to come investigate a 15yr old kid because he drew the President's head on a stake? Is this a joke?"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Apr 30 2004, 10:34 AM
    [b] [quote][b]People like you can laugh all you want whenever a story like this comes out. No one can stop you. But try to to be taken seriously if you find things like this "funny." It's difficult work and you simply dont have an understanding, apparently.[/b][/quote]

This is completly rediculous, and yes I find it very funny. I would find it funny if it was Clinton or Kerry or whoever else. The Secret Service's job is to protect the President. This in no way makes the President any safer. The local Police should never have called them, and once they did the Secret Service should have laughed in their face. "Ok let me get this straight, you want us to come investigate a 15yr old kid because he drew the President's head on a stake? Is this a joke?" [/b][/quote]
    "Wait, you want us to check out some guy who is obssessed with Jodie Foster and is rambling on and on about impressing her?! How does this person threaten Ronald Reagan?!?"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Apr 30 2004, 10:34 AM
    [b] [quote][b]People like you can laugh all you want whenever a story like this comes out. No one can stop you. But try to to be taken seriously if you find things like this "funny." It's difficult work and you simply dont have an understanding, apparently.[/b][/quote]

This is completly rediculous, and yes I find it very funny. I would find it funny if it was Clinton or Kerry or whoever else. The Secret Service's job is to protect the President. This in no way makes the President any safer. The local Police should never have called them, and once they did the Secret Service should have laughed in their face. "Ok let me get this straight, you want us to come investigate a 15yr old kid because he drew the President's head on a stake? Is this a joke?" [/b][/quote]
    The Secret Service has many jobs. One of them is to protect our elected officials. They are also responsible for crimes invloving counterfiet money. Another is to follow up on EVERY lead no matter how big or small which threatens an elected officials life. True some kid drawing stupid pictures seems like nonesense. Nonetheless the Secret Services' charter involves investigating every case no matter how big or small.